Noctilucents over Lincolnshire 21-06-2019

Noctilucents over Lincolnshire 21-06-2019

Forums The Cloud Forum Noctilucents over Lincolnshire 21-06-2019

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Photo Editor avatarPhoto Editor
      Keymaster

A delightful display of noctilucents filled the sky over Lincolnshire last night. 21-06-2019Nocti-one-21-06-2019cas

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Ian,,Thanks! Nice Photo!,,If they keep up maybe they’ll be visible in Phoenix before the summer is over!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Wonderful Ian. I suppose something will be terribly wrong with the weather – much more than there already is – when noctilucent shows up in Phoenix Michael :)

Last weekend noctilucent was seen in large parts of northern Europe. Might there be any connection with the extreme warm weather now on the continent?

Keymaster

Thank you Michael and Hans, not sure, but this was likely to have been the most widespread outbreak of noctilucent clouds ever observed over Europe, it certainly was the most impressive and  extensive display I have ever witnessed in my neck of the woods or anywhere…Lets hope for more to come…

Keymaster

Just read this

“On June 9th noctilucent clouds were spotted in California, as far south as 33 °N – a new record! Combined with the historic June 21st outbreak, this is certainly the most active NLC season on record”.

Participant

Thanks Ian. I am amazed about the latitudes it has been observed. Checking atoptics on this you will find:

The short summer nights of latitudes of 50 – 65° reveal the highest clouds – noctilucent or ‘night shining’ clouds.” and “NLCs are seen further south. They have been sighted in Europe as far south as Austria, Hungary, Italy and southern Germany. In the US they have been seen in Utah and Colorado.

I understand that records are set with this outbreak. I am very curious whether there is any explanation for this.

Keymaster

Yes agree Hans would be good to come up with something lets keep digging!!

Participant

I did not found any explanation (yet) for the recent outbreak of noctilucent clouds Ian. I just found this link with a description of where and when they were visible until now ending with a mass of excellent pictures worthwhile to watch.

Historic outbreak noctilucent clouds

Keymaster

It was the density and brightness of them that intrigued me, as seen on some of those…..Excellent info and imagery, thanks Hans….

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Hi all!

Here is my contribution to the very interesting thread about Noctilucent clouds.

Released on the NASA APOD page today – 26th July.  Heck, 6 months time it will, at least in UK, be Christmas “Boxing Day!!!!  Where does time go so fast?!?

Here it is – lovely image.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190626.html

Laurence

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

What vistas!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-clouds-that-form-from-meteor-smoke-nvrdsb82j

Towards the end of Paul Simons’ column above he mentions a stunning time-lapse video by Ben Pickering in Leeds, UK:

bit.ly/2WZAOLD

Keymaster

Cloud of the month for June by Gavin..

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/june-2019/

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Thank you, Ian, for launching this topic, and to all for links to absolutely stunning images. Hoping to see such wonders dancing above my own noggin here. Eyes up as the sun goes down!

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Here is another wonderful shot of the Noctilucent cloud – this time photographed over Paris, France at the Summer Solstice, 21st June recent.

Image comes from the NASA APOD page released today (28th June):-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190628.html

Laurence

John Murrell avatarJohn Murrell
      Participant

The strange thing about this display was that it was visible at the Zenith from near London as well as other places – this should not be possible according to the accepted geometry.  I have not seen any explanation on how & why this happened

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.