Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV

Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Ready for more B&W spelunking? Hans’s dramatic Wind And Rain And Shine gave us a perfect combination of sky features to close Volume XIV. Let’s continue the exploration!

IMG_3150_BW_Dark And Light And ?Dark And Light And ?

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Let the tour takes us to new terra!

Arizona B&W#151

sept0218a2476

Participant

Fantastic cloud sculpture, Michael! At first glance, the image reminded me of dramatic works by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Then pareidolia took over and now I see a little bear being held gently aloft in a large paw. I like both impressions very much.

Further venturing on this tour, I came across a couple of architectural wonders.

IMG_2149_BW_Two Greek Corinthian ColumnsGreek Corinthian Columns

Participant

I like how the light finds it way thru the clouds Keelin. Let the clouds do all the work.

Below is another in the late in the day monsoon shot

Arizona B&W#152

sept0218a2486

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Michael Lerch avatarMichael.
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Dark and Light, great Cloudsculptures and even Greek Corinthian Columns. A monumental start of this 15th Volume. Is it time for a book named A “B&W A Day”?

2020-02-12 Strand (34)-2

Light Sculpture

Participant

Arizona B&W#153

oct1218a5733VirgaArt

Participant

Arizona B&W #154

oct1016a7781Art

Participant

Great choreography in this dance of cirrus uncinus Michael and your former #153 is intriguing with its hanging curtains. Love them.

Here follows  a rather atypical cloud picture, for the clouds cover even less than one third of the picture. But be sure they covered all of the scenery.

2020-02-12 Strand (11)-2

Silvery

Participant

Nice reflection Hans!

Arizona B&W 155

oct0816a5591Art

Participant

From powerful drama to graceful allure in your Arizona B&Ws, Michael. And Hans, I envy your strolls by the North Sea. That thin line of sunlit sea on the horizon in Light Sculpture is exquisite. And congratulations on your stunning photo featured on the Gallery (February 26). Wow!

IMG_2443_BW_Wink!Wink!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

Thank you Michael and thank you Keelin too for your kind and beautiful wink.

Are you both already joining or starting a group? I was at first a bit reluctant to participate but I thought that there certainly has to be a group in the Netherlands and so I started a group for Noord Holland. I am curious for experiences and hope to gather some local people to exchange pictures and thoughts. Maybe also make them enthusiastic when time comes about abstract Black and Whites? I have noticed already a group for Arizona and California as well by the way.

2020-02-12 Strand (10)-2

Another View On The North Sea

Participant

Another View On The North Sea works so well in B&W, Hans. I liked the surprise when my eyes dipped down to find that shimmering strip along the lower edge indicating scale.

In the photo below, the clouds float free, so they can be any dimension you’d like. Funny when you think about it, how the mind can hold an entire headful of clouds, any size, any shape. They all fit!

As for the new Cloudspotter Groups, it looks like they’re taking off with a nice flourish! If only I had more time to devote. Alas, it’s all I can handle at the moment to keep up with our favorite Forum topics. But as you say, Hans, it may introduce more folks to these themed threads, so here’s hoping!

IMG_7781_BW_No Dimension KnownNo Dimension Known

Participant

Arizona B&W#156

sept0218a2479

Participant

Thank you Keelin.

And yes any size will fit. Nice to think about it that way. The freedom (of size and anything else) is indeed what characterizes your last post.

I understand about the communities. Until now it is a matter of some patience. We will see and I hope it is gonna grow. The title of your last post is very applicable : No Dimension Known indeed. Very funny.

The dimensions of the following mushroom in two stores  is very known: huge! Great picture Michael.

2020-03 Wolken (1)-2

A Detail In The Spotlights

Participant

A magnificent, double-layered dessert in your last photo, Michael. Love those dark, bird-like flickers adding impressions of a scale not to be trusted. As Hans notes, that cloud is HUGE!

While I can’t explain why (and no reason really necessary), the curl in A Detail In The Spotlights makes me smile, Hans. Die krul is een beetje vreugde.

IMG_9806_BW_Speckled FeatherSpeckled Feather

Participant

Thanks  for the comments on a classic Upper Sonoran Souffle’

Arizona B&W#157

oct1016a7760Contrail

Participant

Fantastic image, Michael!

IMG_4491_BW_Angle Of DetangleAngle Of Detangle

Participant

Thank you Keelin. Yes, ‘de krul is een beetje vreugde’ indeed. I really had fun developing it in LR.

Speckled feather is beautiful and delicate while #157 is on fire Michael. Keelin seems to want to extinguish – or rather detangle? – the fire with a firm shower.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0199 B&W ns c klein

Now It’s Dripping

Participant

Arizona B&W#158

oct0818a5568Art

Participant

Arizona B&W#159

july2217a4751B

Participant

Lots of action above, you two! Who knows what will come next?

IMG_1409_BW_Now It's CurlingNow It’s Curling

Participant

Arizona B&W#160

oct1216a7857Art

Participant

Arizona B&W#161

oct1218a5722VirgArt

Participant

2020-04 Wolken (26)-1

Proud Cloud

Participant

How about a late night walk?

IMG_5790_BW_The Dunes In MoonlightThe Dunes In Moonlight

Participant

Arizona B&W#162

july0418a3122Len

Daniel Mitchell avatarDaniel Mitchell
      Participant

I’m inspired. Hans, your Proud Cloud is apparitionous! (new word)— Keelin, the Dunes in Moonlight really look like dunes— crazy!  Love the silky smoothness of #162, Michael.

I’ll join the party with this one:

2019-06-07 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - BW - Webres-1003

Hustle & Bustle

Participant

From silky to scrunchy (and everything in between!), the variety of cloud textures seems endless. Here’s one whose texture appears rough, while the form reminds me of a sting ray enjoying a sinuous glide through a sea of dark sky.

IMG_8185_BW_Sting Ray

Participant

I love the variation and surprises from Dunes In Moonlight, Arizona #162, Hustle & Bustle and I love also the text accompanying your stingray Keelin. It fits so well.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0055 B&W asr c klein c

Globalization

Participant

Love that sense of a brighter vista nearly within reach, Hans. It’s a vision that inspires!

IMG_6007_BW_Night LightNight Light

PS: And congratulations on your lovely Altocumulus over Bloemendaal posted to CAS Gallery today!

Participant

Arizona B&W#163nov0117a7492und

Participant

Fantastic texture, Michael! What a capture.

There was a bit of iridescence in the original photo of the image below, but I like the way black and white highlights the cloud’s form without the distraction of color.

IMG_9613_BW_Without the Iridescence

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Hans, Keelin, Michael, Daniel – and anybody else I missed. You all inspire me so much.

Here is a cloud that just showed up one day in Dallas, out of the clear blue sky(probably I committed a sin by not noticing it a bit earlier).

B and W Virga

Participant

The clouds look like they’re talkin ,Keelin! Fascinating wind manipulation of the Virga,Don. Looks like from every direction.

Arizona B&W#164

nov2118a0220

Participant

A fine feather for your cap, Don! And a magical murmuration, Michael. Both images lift my spirits.

Below, this one reminds me of dandelion seeds sailing on a Spring breeze just as I reach to weed them.

IMG_3771_BW_Spring SailSpring Sail

Participant

I love the latest series of B&W’s  posted over here by you all, Keelin, Don, and Michael. They are all surprising, each one in its own way, ending with an exuberant Spring Sail.

2020-04 Wolken (99)-1

Flood Line In The Sky

Participant

Arizona B&W#165sept2418a5422

Participant

Arizona B&W#166

nov0117a6501

Participant

Love the scalloped edge in Flood Line In The Sky, Hans. It tells a story! And Michael, your most recent, also has a feeling of cloudlettes being swept along. Keeping with the flowing theme, this one below could use a river’s soundtrack.

IMG_2250_Stream Over StonesStream Over Stones

Participant

Maybe from the river’s soundtrack…

2020-05 Wolken (12)-1
      One Note

Participant

Your One Note is sweeping in on key and right on time, Hans! While on this side of the pond, the celestial orchestra is not quite ready.

IMG_0862_BW_Still Tuning UpStill Tuning Up

Participant

Arizona B&W#167

nov2818a0276

Participant

Oh, Michael, from what wild realm did B&W#167 emerge? Simply incredible! I love this creatura! Have you considered sending it to the MudPie team for their Cloud Tales project? I can only imagine what fun storytelling it would inspire. Even sans pareidolia, it is a remarkable cloud image.

IMG_7002_BW_In aweIn Awe

Participant

Thank You Keelin!..Mudpie sounds to be fun.! That photo would give an imagination a good opportunity. When I saw that area of the sky, it appeared to me as very interesting. So I took a series of shots. Not until processing them in “Lightroom” did the creature show itself. Definitely of the Realm of Clouds as is your Awe!

Another shot taken for  being interesting

Arizona B&W#168

nov1317a8381

Participant

I agree with Keelin on Arizona B&W#167 Michael. It is a magical one for sure. It must have been amazing to see that one emerge in your lightroom. The Realm Of Clouds it is.

On the former one Keelin stated that her celestial orchestra was not ready yet but I think different. It is pure and perfect jazz in B&W and sounds like my favorites.

You both make this thread so much fun and inspiring!

2020-05 Wolken (35)-1

Something Nondescript And Puzzling

Participant

Arizona B&W# 169

nov0417a7766

Participant

Arizona B&W#170

nov1316a8316

Participant

2020-05 Wolken (45)-1

Light As  A Feather

Participant

Michael, the delicate tonal balance you’re able to achieve in b&w continues to impress. Both #169 and #170 could be mush in less skillful hands.

And oh, I like that, Hans, your Something Nondescript And Puzzling! It’s the stuff of which mysteries (and stories!) are made. Light As A Feather has a hint of that quality as well. Where do these come from? Might this (below) be a source?

IMG_8215_BW_Branch Of A Feathery Feather TreeBranch Of A Feathery Feather Tree

Participant

Thanks Keelin! Adobe Lightroom has an amazing tool called  “Clarity” which seems like a perfect tool made for Cloud photography. Clouds are notoriously low in contrast or just the opposite, very high in contrast  depending on the time of day. While processing the shots, a “normal” amount of contrast can be adjusted to effect the pictures over all range from black to white. But “Clarity” works the contrast between a dark pixel and its neighbor ,say, a white pixel..Thats a general description but the tool definitely turns mush  into a clearer ,sharper presentation. Matter of fact I shoot a lot as “flat”, low contrast, especially seeing how “Clarity”  helps with clouds like Asperitas . The other side of Clarity is that it can contribute to “noise” ,the digital equivalent to analogue “grain”. So I usually shot at 200 asa or lower to control the “noise’ increase when perhaps a lot of clarity is required. Its fascinating the difference of “clarity” may be needed in how much pre programed contrast, saturation etc is set for. Experiment experiment experiment is all I can say. The rite combination for the kind of clouds  and time of day can be found, giving anybody the ability to turn mush into somethin worthy to be framed and hung on the wall.

Arizona B&W#171nov0517a8026

Participant

Thanks for helpful and encouraging info, Michael. Adobe Lightroom will definitely be my choice of processing programs next time I upgrade. For now, I’m just happy to have finally replaced my antique iPhone 5s with an 11pro and its vastly improved camera. Slowly, so slowly, moving into a faster lane here.

IMG_7179_BW_Typewriter DreamsTypewriter Dreams

Participant

Wow, again some astonishing B&W’s from you both. The Feathery Feather Tree is magical and enchanting Keelin and Michael’s play with light in #171 is magical too.

Great to read about your use of LR Michael. What you explain about noise can be seen in my former Light As A Feather. I pushed the use of clarity to the limits in that one.

The contrast in Typewriter Dreams is also great. It gives clarity in a different way.

Also in next one I used clarity and what I tried is to emphasize the little curly details in a rather smoky cloudstructure.

2020-05 Wolken (94)-1

Something Is Getting Revealed

Jocelyn Northey avatarJocelyn Northey
      Participant

Thank you for all the processing tips Michael. I have been following this forum for some time and look forward to every new post

Participant

Danke je, Hans. And you may have used clarity in Something Is Getting Revealed, but it remains a wonderful mystery!

IMG_8637_Swimming Through UncertaintySwimming Through Uncertainty

PS: Jocelyn, in reply to your question about Billy: Our beloved friend made his first appearance courtesy of Hans on the forum’s B&W topic (Vol 2, March 17, 2017) with the title Swimming Goat. To get a glimpse, just enter “goat” into the Search field. Hans and I have taken a particular liking to this frisky cloud character who tends to cross the pond unexpectedly and show up in slightly various forms*. A sighting is always a delight, so keep your eyes on the skies and do let us know if he heads your way. We’re grateful to Gavin and Ian who kindly allow us free rein with our wild imaginations here.

*Billy’s a swift swimmer, so sometimes, we only get a hint of him…Hans's Goat Still Swimming_BW

Participant

Hans, yes, grey tones buried in the dark  reveal them selves with judicial use of LR  ‘clarity”.  The Canon 6D camera has a CMOS that is more sensitive to the Infra Red part of the spectrum. Astronomers like the camera because it picks up so much of the  unseen in the Universe around us. When shooting clouds with it and the processing the photos, its almost like magic to watch the invisible come to light with “Clarity”

Arizona B&W#172

nov1217a8211

Andy Holton avatarAndy Holton
      Participant

Thanks Hans for guiding me to this thread!

20191109-CZ13_18@0,25x

Participant

Welcome Andy. You join just at the end of a discussion about using clarity in LR. Thank you Michael for all your information about the way you work. I did not know yet about the extra sensitivity for the infra red of the 6D sensor. I don’t know whether this is also  the case with my 7D, but like you I am also sometimes surprised what detail comes up when enhancing clarity .

And you come up with great use of granularity in your B&W Andy. One can’t  tell just because of the conscientiously use of granularity whether it is a digital one or analogous, but is it indeed an analogous picture? Love the composition and – forgive me – I see also this friendly witch with her bird on a flying carpet.

Swimming In Uncertainty so to speak with the latest B&W by Keelin who also lets Billy the goat revisit this stage. Although here are mainly abstract B&W’s, pareidolia is almost inevitable at stake in this thread.

2020-04 Wolken (64)-1

Nameless

Andy Holton avatarAndy Holton
      Participant

Yeah, these images are taken for a class I took last year on film development techniques. Reading through the posts about the clarity slider has been very interesting; a lot of the things that got brought up were things I definitely had to take into consideration as well in developing and printing. I have mixed feelings about the amount of grain in these images. On the computer screen I’m not a big fan, but I sorta like it when printed. As Michael mentioned, going to a lower ISO film probably would have help with that.

Seeing all of these awesome images has gotten me motivated to scan more of mine :)

20191109-CZ12_05A@0,25x

Participant

Michael, thanks so much for your helpful comments and suggestions on LR. I continue to save them for future guidance. B&W#172 is a great example of the fine details the program makes available—for one with a skilled eye!

And welcome to the B&W forum topic, Andy! Delighted to see your first posts, and look forward to more. As Hans points out, most images here are of an abstract nature, which I believe has both opened my eyes to a new way of looking at clouds and enhanced my appreciation of the art form itself. As for granularity, there are times when I feel it enhances the mood of the image and/or adds a touch of mystery. But then, I’m of the pareidolia persuasion, and like Hans, tend to see things where others might not. ;) Both of your photos remind me of those fleeting dream images that begin to dissolve at waking, inviting one to linger.

Speaking of lingering…WOW, Hans! Nameless is fantastic! I just cannot stop looking at it.

In the image below, a waning crescent moon rests in the upper left quadrant, steady as can be while the surrounding clouds can’t seem to hold still.

IMG_5118_B&W_ShiversShivers

Participant

Arizona B&W#173

nov1517a8434

Participant

Thank you Keelin and I agree with your words about granularity and it is a joy the way you phrase your thoughts so well. And then there are Shivers …….. and an quartet size in Arizona B&W#719 by Michael. Some pareidolia now?

2020-05 Wolken (86)-1

Sunbathing

Participant

I like the formation of the foursome you captured, Michael. And thanks for kind words, Hans. You must know, pareidolia is always welcome. Your sunbather is truly basking in it. He looks so restful.

No time to say hello goodbye, though, if one hopes to catch up with a certain rushing rabbit.

IMG_5975_BW_Rabbit HoleThe Rabbit Hole

Participant

Go ask Alice..

Arizona B&W#174

nov1217a8173

Participant

Too funny, this bunny appearing right on time! Leave it to you, Michael, to pull a White Rabbit right out of thin air. Amusing and amazing!!

In his rush, some fur went flying…

IMG_6126_BW_Flying FurFlying Fur

Participant

So funny these tricks with the white rabbit by you two! I feel like being Alice.

2020-05 Wolken (238)-1

Ghostly Bystanders

Participant

Love your Ghostly Bystanders, Hans. Perhaps they thought they were seeing double? This one looks a bit hare-ied. He’s probably thinking he should hop on over to the ‘looks like’ topic.

IMG_6306_Another Rabbit?!Another Rabbit?!

Meanwhile, something a bit more abstract…

IMG_4738_BW_More Abstract

Participant

Arizona B&W#175

nov3017a8659

Participant

I love ‘Another Wabbit’ Keelin (nice to prevent him to hop over to the ‘looks like’ thread) and the abstract as well. Arizona B&W#175 is a smooth interruption of the tea party. Someone left this….

2018-09 Charigny_0223-2

Mad Hat

Participant

Arizona B&W#175 has an ethereal landscape feel, Michael. I’d like to travel that undulating trail into the distant hills. Who knows where it might lead?

Wherever that may be, I’d like to be dressed appropriately, or even better, with a flair for whimsey. Your Mad Hat with its feather, plume and even a hint of veil would be just the ticket, Hans. I should like to wear it even with no where to go but in my mind. Today, for sure ’twould be the shore ~ to celebrate World Oceans Day.

IMG_5965_BW_Ocean EmotionOcean Emotion

Participant

Arizona B&W#176

nov1718a0094

Participant

Wow, great Ocean Emotion Keelin. The emotion seems to be tempered already in #176 by Micheal where the waves are smaller although they seem to have lost their sense of direction. Two wonderful B&W’s.

2020-05 Wolken (43)-1

Continuing The Wave

Trevor Beech avatarTrevor Beech
      Participant

My first post.

IMG_20200609_153119-Edit

Participant

A warm welcome to you, Trevor — and an impressive, dramatic first post! Hope to see many more images from you here on the B&W topic.

Love those waves in any direction, Michael and Hans, even when they almost appear to be quietly quivering in place.

IMG_1414_BW_Good VibrationsGood Vibrations

Participant

Arizona B&W#177

nov2118a0226

Participant

Arizona B&W#178

nov1718a0053

Participant

Love the calm, linear look of #178, Michael. Just what I needed this morning. ;)

IMG_6907_BW_Too Many Ideas All At OnceToo Many Ideas All At Once

Participant

Like a flood Keelin!

Arizona B&W#179

nov2918a0381

Participant

Wonderful, expressionistic appeal in #179, Michael. I like the mood it evokes when I look at it—which I’ve done now several times.

Is this how clouds carry their little ones?

IMG_4795_BW_How Clouds Carry Their Little Ones

Participant

Thanks Keelin for your kind words. Clouds really do lend to the emotional impact of a perception since they are of so little tangible reality. How one feels ,or is emotionally impacted ,when seeing a cloud or a cloud photo is just as real to the person as anything. Texture, contrast and movement seem to help creating the impact. Your baby brought an Aww!

Something different

Arizona B&W#180

july2817a5047

Participant

Back to Black (and White). Great cloud carrying a little one Keelin. I saw a fish with cleaning fish in it. Love it.

And a great first post by Trevor with lots of dynamics. I look forward for more Trevor!

And the good vibrations  go on in this thread. Great play of lines in #179 Michael.

2020-05 Wolken (234)-1

Scary or Friendly Looking?

Participant

Love the tones and subtle shadings you achieved in #189, Michael — a wonderful watercolor effect.

As for Scary or Friendly, Hans, I can see both in your fantastic clouds above. But, of course, only one or the other at a time. So much of perception is determined by mood and the mind’s tendencies. If I gaze at the classic optical illusion of the young girl/old woman, what I see first will likely depend on how recently I’ve looked in the mirror. ;)

Below, another ambiguous cloud formation. Do you see a young pup swimming or a two-headed sea dragon—or something else entirely (at least for a moment)?

IMG_1043_BW_Either Or Or?Either Or Or?

Participant

Arizona B&W# 181

nov2918a0340

Participant

2020-06 Charigny (172)-1

When the moon is a cold chiseled dagger

(from ‘Black Wings’ by Tom Waits)

Participant

And ……. thank you Keelin. I can see the puppy and the two-headed dragon as well. It is indeed the mood that influences the perception. I hope you are in a good mood since I can’t make that up from your silly words. Can’t believe it.

Participant

It’s no surprise you can see both creatures, Hans, as you have a keen skill for such vision. As for mood, mine tends to tip easily towards the amusement end of the scale, even in ambiguous situations. If I do happen to glimpse the ‘old lady’ in the mirror, at least she is usually smiling. At nearly 70, that seems to keep the best wrinkles in place!

Participant

What a lovely image of sun (or moon?) in a soft, silken cradle of cloud, Michael. It is lovely!

And Hans, that sliver of moon could not be more beautiful! The incredible detail you’ve captured somehow brings it closer to home—almost within reach.

IMG_7794_Half-Sun In Full SplendorHalf-Sun In Full Splendor

Participant

This image reminds me of how the earth welcomes a nourishing rain, especially when gentle breezes blow.IMG_7998_When Gentle Breezes Blow_BW

Participant

Thanks for the kind words keelin. A late afternoon sun it was.  Nice shot of the wind swept!

Arizona B&W#182

dec0819a7408Und

Participant

2020-06 Charigny (103)-1

Lots Of Energy

Participant

Arizona B&W#183

dec2319a7586Perl

Participant

Great grays in both #182 & #183, Michael. And a positively powerful image in Lots Of Energy, Hans!

IMG_7401_BW_Friday FibrillationFriday Fibrillation

Participant

Arizona B&W#184

dec0319a7311Und

Participant

Great Friday Fibrilation and waves in #184, Keelin and Michael.

2020-06 Wolken (11)-1

Floating Fluffs

Participant

Arizona B&W#185

dec1219a7404AltCum

Participant

Love the lighthearted feeling of Floating Fluffs, Hans, and the layering depth in #185, Michael.

IMG_3751_Wavy GravyWavy Gravy

Participant

Arizona B&W#186

oct2119a6887AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W# 187

nov2118a0197virg

Participant

What capricious winds you have there in AZ, Michael!

IMG_6534_BW_Diced vs. ShreddedDiced vs. Shredded

Participant

I love #187 with its capricious winds (quoting Keelin) Michael and likewise Diced vs. Shredded, Keelin. The winds make wonderful patterns in it.

2020-07 Wolken (44)-1

Sea At Night

Participant

Arizona B&W#188

nov0617a8106

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.