What are these clouds?

What are these clouds?

Forums Cloud Identification Help What are these clouds?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra Browne avatarAlexandra Browne
      Participant

OK, this might be a bit of a challenge! I don’t know. Maybe even easy for you knowledgeable bunch. This was a glorious display tonight. Can you tell me what clouds they are? I recognise cirrus.

The weird photos are stitches of several shots.

Alexxx

IMG_8890_stitch rIMG_8880_stitch rIMG_8912 adjIMG_8921 adj

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Hi Alexxx, yes, those that look like fibers are cirrus. The small roundish ones are either cirrocumulus or altocumulus. It’s hard to tell from pictures because it’s not clear what the scale is. The rule is (if I remember correctly) if the pinky covers (or almost) the cloud element when the arm is fully extended, it’s cirrocumulus.

My guess from the picture is those are high altocumulus, but not quite cirrocumulus.

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

George has it pretty much correct, although I learned it as : When pointing at the clouds, if your index and first two or three fingers cover the clump, it’s altocumulus. Otherwise cirrocumulus.

But you have to look at clouds that are more-or-less overhead. The rule doessn’t work for clouds on the horizon.

In the photos, I personally had a hard time interpreting the super-wide angle shots. However, in the last two, it appears that the cumulus clouds are lower down than the cirrus. So, like George, I would guess altocumulus for the ‘clumpy’ ones.

Clearly cirrus, as George says, for the others.

Alexandra Browne avatarAlexandra Browne
      Participant

Thank you!

Rob Thompson avatarRob Thompson
      Participant

It looks like there are three layers with the wind in different directions.

The lower layer with alto-cumulus  and not much wind.

And the two upper layers with cirrus, fairly windy with the wind direction nearly at right angles.

Rob

Julia Long avatarJulia Long
      Participant

58EFA524-590C-4EF9-8311-F8BDBEF74267815F0EDC-C60D-4CC6-9A9A-A3729B49CF8EWhat are these fabulous rows of clouds?

Participant

It could be a wave system which was triggered downstream of a mountain range but it looks more like an air-mass wave system which develops when different layers in the atmosphere have very different wind speeds and directions….same physics as wind over the ocean.

Were the clouds (which indicate the wave crests) moving or stationary?

If you can give us the location, direction the camera was pointing as well as the time and date, it may be possible to work out from the weather archives what was happening.

Rob

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

Jumping in a little late …  The wavy clouds on February 2 are stratocumulus undulatus. But what makes them so cool is that above them you have a layer of altostratus of a different shade of gray.

The “tornado” is indeed, like Greg says, a contrail twisted out of shape by winds with different directions and speeds a different altitudes and even within the same layer.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello Julia!

I believe it may be an example of undulatus or possibly cloud streets caused by oscillations in the atmosphere. Lovely catch by the way!

Greg

Participant

Thanks Rob & Greg!

Direction:  SSE

Date: 2/1

Time:  7:47 am

Participant

Is that 2nd Feb or 1st Jan?

We do dates in Australia with the day first…

Rob

Participant

Holy tornado!  What is this beauty, looking like a funnel cloud…?88C0A6D5-A0A8-4219-BC7A-6892938D3BF1

Participant

Rob – February 2nd, 2021

😃

Participant

Rob, Where in Australia?  My moms best friend is from Bunbury.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Ha! I can see the funnel shape quite clearly! However it does not happen to be a tornado, instead, it seems to be a manmade airplane contrail cloud.

Greg

Participant

Thanks Greg!

We get a lot of air traffic of varying types, we are just over the mountain from Camp Pendleton Marine Base.
      ~Julia

Participant

I am in the Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney. Bunbury would be about as far as New York is from you!

The synoptic chart for the 2nd of Feb is at https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/archives/web_pages/sfc/sfc_archive_maps.php?arcdate=02/02/2021&selmap=2021020215&maptype=print_us

There doesn’t seem to be  any weather data for Wildomar but a flick around the nearby weather stations shows the wind at ground level to be all over the place… https://www.wunderground.com/history

The synoptic chart is certainly conducive to winds that change with altitude which could trigger air mass wave systems. But you are also surrounded heaps of mountains which could trigger mountain wave systems.

The wonderful thing about the weather is that no matter how much left brain might you throw at it sometimes you just have to say “Who knows” and switch over to the right brain and enjoy the photo!

Interesting day!

Rob

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.