We’re having a civilized if unproductive conversation about what this is?

We’re having a civilized if unproductive conversation about what this is?

Forums Cloud Identification Help We’re having a civilized if unproductive conversation about what this is?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jiji Shedd avatarJiji Shedd
      Participant

what is it

We have a votes for Fallstreak (confusing because it’s only half showing?) and for glory (also confusing because…it is). Can you steer us in the right direction please? Thanks in advance!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

This is an interesting one Jiji and a great image. It is a tempting one for sure and thanks for sharing it here.

There can’t be any glory for that phenomenon the sun must be behind the observer, while the sun seems to be in front behind the mountain.

In my opinion it isn’t a fallstreak either but I can understand why you think it is. A fallstreak hole usually appears in a layer of altocumulus which has the conditions for the undercooled droplets to freeze out resulting in fallstreaks. The band of cloud I see here is no altocumulus and I think it is low hanging stratus which is very probable in the chilly air around the mountain. This a good place for developing low stratus.

Now what do we see? The sun comes form behind the mountain and on top of the mountain are tall trees that will throw their shadows upon any clouds surrounding the mountain. The observer (you?) are in the shadow of the mountain. I think that the streaks you see are the result of the shadows cast upon a layer of cloud below the top of the mountain. The shadows are deceptive because they seem to be above the mountain. Here I found a clear explanation of what I think it is.

Shadows can appear above the mountain

With this explanation I suppose there is a layer of invisible cloud on which the shadows are cast

Any other opinions?

Jiji Shedd avatarJiji Shedd
      Participant

Thanks Hans, I appreciate the time you’ve taken to explain all this. Do you mind if I share this on a Facebook page called Cloud Identification Worldwide? It’s a public group with 126 members.  I can credit you (or not). I won’t share unless I have your okay!

I love learning about all the possibilities, a shadow didn’t even cross my mind, I was the vote for “half a fallstreak” haha

P.S. this isn’t my photo, just one posted and that has generated wonderment!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Jiji Shedd avatarJiji Shedd.
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thanks for asking Jiji, and no problem to share this elsewhere. No need to mention me. Have fun with it.

Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

Tee hee!!  I saw this on Facebook and actually suggested shadows, too!  I guess I am learning a lot from you, Hans!!
      Blessings

Ramona

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.