Video of NASA's photos of Earth, with lots of cloud photos

Video of NASA's photos of Earth, with lots of cloud photos

Forums The Cloud Forum Video of NASA's photos of Earth, with lots of cloud photos

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Carey avatarRobert Carey
      Participant

Last Fall, I spent four months editing through 20,000 of NASA’s photos of Earth and put video, entitled “The Blue Marble,” up on YouTube. The expression is NASA’s. Most of the photos are of various landscapes and many show man’s impact on the environment, but many have interesting cloud formations. Most of the interesting cloud formations are toward the end of this 22 minutes video. It occurs to me that folks who love clouds might appreciate this:

Thanks, Bob Carey (retired Los Angeles Times photo editor, former U.S. Navy Aerographer who flew through typhoons and hurricanes.)

Marsha Smithhisler avatarMarsha Smithhisler
      Participant

Wow! Thank you for sharing this, Bob. Are all the colors natural? So many of the photos look like art work. Very beautiful.

Robert Carey avatarRobert Carey
      Participant

I think most are natural colors. There’s some spectacular color in Africa, in the deserts and in Australia, and I saw a video where NASA went out and took photos on the ground that matched their colors from space. I did notice that Astronaut Scott Kelly’s photos were much more saturated than most photos, so I suspect he was hitting the auto correct button in Photoshop and punching things up. I have one of his photos, if I remember, it’s of Lake Natron, that’s may be enhanced. So I’m not sure.
      Most of NASA’s photos were scientific with very strange colors designed to highlight things like increasing ozone levels, so as I looked at page after page of thumbnails, it was easy to sort out the natural images.
      The first astronaut to take a photo was John Glenn, who shot a rather grainy, bad photos of Florida. At first, NASA astronauts were using Hasselblad’s, and then they used custom made Kodak digital cameras. More recently, they acquired Nikons with different lenses, including 800mm’s, and that’s where many of these photos were made.
      I fell in love with the photos. I noticed some striking time lapse photography on Vimeo, found out it’s all in the public domain and available online on NASA’s sites. Then I started looking at the stills and was blown away. I’ve never seen anything like them. After a while, I started getting a good feeling for what was a natural shot and tried to pick them.
      Thanks for your interest. Cheers, Bob

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.