Two Suns at sunrise?

Two Suns at sunrise?

Forums The Cloud Forum Two Suns at sunrise?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      James Morrison avatarJames Morrison
      Participant

Hi, Forum,

I’m new to cloudspotting and atmospheric optical effects. I was out this morning taking pictures of the sunrise and for a few seconds there appeared to be two suns, one a little higher and in front of the other. I’m assuming this has something to do with clouds and refraction, but a quick internet search didn’t give me any help on just what I’d seen. It doesn’t look like any sun dog I’ve seen. Anyone out there know what I saw this morning? I’ll include a link to a little Flickr photo album I made. Thanks,

James
      Two suns

Two Suns close-up

Hi, James. I think this is simply down to a combination of broken thick cloud in front of the sun (Stratocumulus cloud) and the scattering effect that the thinner parts of cloud and the haze in the low atmosphere have on the sunlight shining towards you. This scattering has the effect of bending the light and so blurring the distinctions between bright and dark regions. I supposed it is rather like observing a broken beam of light through ground glass. Others members might have a better way of explaining it, but that’s how I’d describe it!

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

James, Just can’t wait for the new Star Wars movie can you?…btw,,whatever you do, don’t post the pic on twitter or facebook..We’ll be invaded by aliens within minutes.

James Morrison avatarJames Morrison
      Participant

Thanks for the replies. Ha, in only a few seconds after I saw the split sun and reflection in the water that I started thinking of Tatooine! I am looking forward to Rogue One.

I’m new to sky watching, and while I have seen some “flashy” sunrises and sunsets in my life, it wasn’t until I started paying attention every day that I noticed how frequently some parts of the sky look “unreal.” I’m sure that won’t come as a surprise to all you more experienced spotters. There’s so much happening up there, all the time!

For instance, here’s a red rainbow that I luckily saw last night after simply turning around and walking to my car after watching the sunset. It’s the first red rainbow that I’ve ever seen. But I’m betting it can’t be that I just happened to see last night the only red rainbow that’s ever been on display around me in entire lifetime. Surely I just never paid enough attention until yesterday and I’ve missed many of them. I sure am glad I started being more aware of the sky and clouds. Thanks again to the forum and the Cloudspotter app for encouraging my new hobby.

Red rainbow

More here

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

I joined CAS in 2007 and have never heard of a red rainbow. But google has them aplenty. Beginner’s luck or great observing, whichever, many thanks, James. Keep ’em coming.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

The two suns are fantastic. Is this really seen on planet earth?

I can recommend the site for atmospheric optical phenomena: atoptics.

You’ll see an overview of all kinds of spectacular rainbows under which a red bow. You are lucky to spot that one!

You will find also on this site breathtaking pictures of other optical effects with clear explanations.

Have fun with it!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.