Too many threads – what about a separate folder?

Too many threads – what about a separate folder?

Forums The Cloud Forum Too many threads – what about a separate folder?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Here is a suggestion!

I feel that there is on this Forum folder an “explosion” of Threads.

Welcome, as they are, they do seem to be cluttering up the, what I would call, the everyday Forum.

Would it be possible, please, to set up  new dedicated folder, called “Threads” and thereby instil all existing Threads and possible new Threads?

Please, don’t get me wrong.  I like the Threads much but they are seemingly taking over the Forum page.

Comments, suggestions, thoughts etc invited.

Right!  Here goes!

Laurence

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Thoughts

*  I don’t have any technical solution. I am not familiar with your concept of ‘this Forum folder’.

*  I note this thread has been pushed down the LIFO stack to ninth in three days.

*  I think you need to define your terms – I think of a ‘thread’ as the thing that is started by any post. You seem to think of a thread as the thing which has many posts and possibly subsequent volumes (on this forum) due to its popularity. You do not give a name to less popular (albeit interesting) posts (such as yours which I am replying to) apart from ‘the everyday Forum’.

*  I do not really think of popular threads ‘cluttering up’ or ‘taking over’. Surely the LIFO concept gives any new post its moment of glory at the top – admittedly that means an infrequent viewer might have to go quite a way down the LIFO stack to find it.

*  One technical help might be an indication of whether or not you personally have opened any given iteration of a thread. (Perhaps not unrelated to an e-mail notification of a new post which someone seemed to ask for quite recently – I personally would not want that in general; though it might be nice to be able to register an interest in one particular thread e.g. my Cloudscape!).

*  P.S. I note an option is available below a post when you write/edit/reply ‘ Notify me of follow-up replies via email ‘.

Participant

Hygge

Thanks for your reply and your thoughts – appreciated.  Your response is the only one so far appearing.

I was merely suggesting that Threads could be placed in a separate folder, called, for example, “Forum Threads” which would provide a dedicated “home”, so to speak, to house the ever growing number of interesting Threads appearing on the Forum.

At the top of the CAS page there are 7 topic folders.  It would be, I suggest, easy to add another folder, as suggested above. As a former webmaster, before I retired, it would, for me to be  simple and easy to set up and establish a new folder and move all existing threads to it and with a topical Thread subject matter.

By the way, what is the “LIFO” you relate to?  Could you educate me on this, please?

Laurence

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Laurence, until now I was a bit reluctant to react on your question , being one of the frequent users of the forum. As a matter of fact I don´t see any problem in the number of topics. When I look this morning to the topics page I see on the bottom a topic last updated a week and 4 days ago. Sometimes it can go faster, but the number of posts per day are mostly 3 or 4 and on a few days 5 or 6 max. The number of posts per day and the number of regular users are not that high that one who is interested in the forum will loose overview. So I do not really see a cluttering up of the every day forum as far as I am concerned.

The specific threads that are meant to exchange pictures might be a different category, but with the above in mind I see no need to place them in a separate folder. That would result in work – even maybe costs? – for the ones who maintain the website  and I see no need for such a change.

I am happy with the every day forum as it is. For me it may be even more frequently used as it is now.

Btw: LIFO means “last in first out” in contrast to FIFO being “first in first out”, both ways to run a stockroom.

Hans, always looking forward to the nice links you want to share.

Participant

Hi Hans

Participant

Hi Hans,

(2nd attempt – my PC is being visited by IT gremlins)

Greetings.

Thanks for your interesting reply.

Thanks too, for the explanation of LIFO and FIFO.  I will remember these connotations for the future as they could prove useful to me later on.

As an aside, the CAS has 44,000+ members and it does sadden me, maybe you too, that not all that many respond to the Forum or Gallery pages.  Why this is puzzles me much.

I belong to several small interest groups and the memberships are small.  That said, the debates, contributions and sharing of news stories etc are certainly very lively and spontaneous.  I just wish the CAS could somehow devise a way of engaging more with its members, likewise, members engaging with the CAS.

Best wishes to you, as ever.

Laurence

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Laurence, IT gremlins are the worst kind of creatures one can think of. You can´t even punish, hunt or hurt them while they continue to annoy innocent users.

After all this matter (I don´t mean the gremlins here) might be a bit unsatisfying I suppose. I must say that the same kind of thoughts you have, have also crossed my mind sometimes. Nevertheless I still like what´s going on so I keep on enjoying it.

Best wishes, Hans

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.