Things that Look Like Clouds

Things that Look Like Clouds

Forums The Cloud Forum Things that Look Like Clouds

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

DH_42854

There seems to be a lot of photos on “clouds that look like things” – for instance The Grim Reaper on Cloud_a_day the other day, etc, etc etc.

So I thought it was time we reversed that. Hence this thread –
      inspired somewhat by the Cloud-A-Day from quite awhile back showing stacked lenticulars juxtaposed with a photo of the Guggenheim Museum in NYCity.

This hotel ceiling in Dallas beats our typical BBS any day.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Nice imitative Don to start this thread. It immediately made me remember an exhibition here in Haarlem, where I live, about Dutch skies by Dutch artists. Fortunately not many BBS’s over here!

I spotted this cumulus at the exhibition.

IMG_1333

A true Thing, meant to look like a cloud (underneath in the spot light a small sun bathing figure in a beach chair).

On the same exhibition a Dutch artist also made clouds inside. I wasn’t there at the right moment, but I found this link with pictures of his work. The article is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Berndhaut Smilde, cloud art.

Maybe showing not true “things” that look like clouds, but being artificial still nice to share over here.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A funny coincidence happened today with the launch of this new topic (Thank you, Don!) and the receipt of an unexpected and most unusual gift from a friend who also shares the paredolia gene. An attached note to the single cloth doily asked if it might be a cloud. How inspiring, I thought, and created the image below to serve as a reply.

Moonlit AntimacassarsMoonlit Antimacassars

Participant

Keelin – Thanks for this; what a creative combination. Hans – I bet the exhibition was awesome.

Pushing a little bit on the boundaries – –

DH_42854

“And to my complete surprise, you and I were dancing on a cloud somewhere”

–Song written by Mack Gordon & Josef Myrow

-From the film “My Baby Smiles at Me” (1948)

Participant

Don, it seems not to be only you who pushes a bit on the boundaries. Quite some daredevils you spotted dancing on clouds, or should I say spidermen? Marvelous!

I like this topic you started. Moonlit Antimaccassars is already very surprising. I will keep my eyes open from now on because my archive will not contain many pictures that might fit.

Yet I found after some digging next cloudy sky spotted in a museum for glass and art (or vice versa), France 2016. No umbrella needed inside?

2016-09 France_0225-2

Participant

Hans – the simulated raindrops make me wonder if I need a simulated umbrella after all.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

6loud Story (q.v. in Search):

Christmas morn

Pink doth warn

– overcast

N.B.  Having login problems so can’t get to my old 6loud Story thread

Participant

I think that every CAS member dreams of having their own personal cloud.

personal cloud

Participant

Hygge: nice haiku-like poem (at least your former one one on your 6loud Story thread was not meant to be one?). Short and powerful in its meaning.

As to the practical point about accessing the forum remember to first login and whenever you go to another page (for  example the forum) and find yourself logged out so you can’t post a reply then do a refresh of the page. This seems to help.

Don: what is your secret of this cloud hanging above you. Did Berndhaut  Smilde pay you a visit and told you how to make one of your own? Fantastic! I would also like one above me.

This all made me remember “The man who measures the clouds” who I once saw on a exhibition of work by Jean Fabre. I have a picture of my own but with a background of a BBS so I use one from the internet.

wolkenmeter (Large)

The man who measures the clouds.

In homage to his dead twin brother Emile Fabre, the artist Jean Fabre attempts to measure the immeasurable: the clouds. This action, which led to the famous bronze sculpture, is based on a quote from the prisoner and ornithologist Robert Stroud after his release: ‘I’m going to measure the clouds’.

Participant

Hygge – I also thought the haiku was very moving. Thank you for your poetic effort. And I hope your log-in issues are over. Just FYI, clearing the history and/or cache might also work (it helps my wife).

Hans – This is not me, but another CAS member, one I’m a tiny bit envious of.

The secret : warm water and a cup to hold it in (you can see the cup in his left hand, at the point this photo was taken), very cold air, and a strong (or maybe not) throwing arm. Voila! Instant cloud. (Classic cloud creation technique.)

Also – Apparently R Stroud got right to it. I wonder what measurements (or whatever else) he recorded.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.