Thanks to the Cloudspotter App photo validators

Thanks to the Cloudspotter App photo validators

Forums The Cloud Forum Thanks to the Cloudspotter App photo validators

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      James Morrison avatarJames Morrison
      Participant

Hi,

Just wanted to give my thanks and express my appreciation to anyone out there reading this who spends time looking over all those photos that people like me submit for verification. My wife and I are new to cloudspotting and we’re doing it on our own, and it’s been extremely helpful having feedback on our photos. It’s a rewarding experience getting responses to our pictures and attempts at cloud type and optical effect identification, as we newbies try to figure out just what we’re seeing in the skies. Well done, app folks. Your app and the assistance you offer has quickly turned cloudspotting into a new recreational pleasure in our lives.

Jim

Kristy Sharkey avatarKristy Sharkey
      Participant

Well said, Jim! I was just responding to an email from these folks the other day, echoing these same words. This feedback has helped me so much in understanding the nuances between the types and optical effects (I’m also a new member as of June 2016). This feedback has been so important to my own appreciation and learning. I love how the CloudSpotting app and the CAS website captivate us with the beauty of clouds and at the same time satiate our curiosity for learning every scientific detail about how they are formed. Well done and thanks to you all for your time, and for sharing your expertise.

James and Kirsty, I will pass on your comments to the moderator team, who I know will be very pleased to read them. They do such a great job – all voluntary. So far, well over 222,000 images have been verified by the team since we’ve been doing the app – each photograph looked at and verified by a real, human person. I am pleased that you have been finding useful the functionality that we recently introduced to let moderators send emails to CloudSpotter users when a verification needs some explanation. Distinguishing one classification from another can be more subjective and less clear-cut than in many other fields. As the American 19th Century essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson put it, “Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same.”

Søren Hauge avatarSøren Hauge

How lovely to read these comments! It is such a pleasure to moderate the cloudspotter app pictures, and with the new feature we can now give comments to a yes or a no. I have to admit that most pictures don’t get a comment as there are quite a few coming in from all over the world all the time and we don’t want the queue to grow too much. There are pictures waiting for quite a number of days as the response is not obvious. Some pictures are tricky, unclear or questionable (some even fakes taken from a computer screen) – so perhaps we have to share thoughts about it. But no matter what – I have never during the last two years or so been bored about moderating or found it to be a burden. It is pure joy. We have good communication and sharings in a closed Facebook group. Gavin is a wonderful help and support, assisted by Kai – and our Cloud Moderator colleague, Laurenz Laeremans, has done a great job with the latest improvements of the app. So thank you for the great responses – and please remember that occasionally we do make mistakes! :)

Maribel Dr. Illig avatarMaribel Dr. Illig
      Participant

I can only agree to Jim and Kristy! having cloud pictures identified by real people makes this app so very special! when I send a cloud pic I do think of the person who will look at my picture and even if I get the cloud wrong I hope that this person likes my picture. not because it’s from me, just because clouds and cloud picture make you happy and often just smile :)

it’s wonderful to read Søren’s comment and to see his face. to all moderators: thank you very much for the time and love you spend every day for us :)

Thanks a lot Maribel! I would love to show you where I am standing while it was taken. It is a massive statement underlining the fact that true, really nerdy Cloudspotters are able to ignore amazing things in favor of clouds. In my profile I have just uploaded it. Not reproduced in good quality, but you can get a feeling of the place… at the least :)

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Hauge at Henge – that was a surprise, and you found some Great British clouds.

Thanks, Hauge – hygge

Thanks Hygge! You sound like a Dane :)

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Ah! Somewhere near the beginning of this new CAS Forum I explained a little about ‘hygge’ when I changed my sign-on name from beacontrigpoint on the old CAS Forum. But I am a (UK) Hampshire Hog, Soren, and I expect the ‘o’ in my Soren will not look like the one from you and Bastian.

I will admit that I borrowed the name hygge from an advertising tag by the clothing chain Mint Velvet which referenced the Danish art.

More importantly I would like to add my thanks to all the moderators back at CAS HQ who are key to CAS’ success, and keep me a happy hobbyist.

Bastian Ulmer avatarBastian Ulmer
      Participant

Reading this nice posts from our members and app users makes me smile! It´s the same for me as for Søren – moderating all these pictures is such a pleasure! So much fun to see cloud pictures from all over the world and to sometimes sit over a tricky picture and think… yes? no? The new feature to give comments made this a lot easier! Moderating has never been boring for me, I really enjoy ´having my head up in the clouds´ while looking at new submitted pictures. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful team!

James Morrison avatarJames Morrison
      Participant

Nice to see all the goodwill! And, if I can thank everyone again, let me do so, because the more I use the app, the more I see just how much work people put into the evaluation process. Not only do they have a high volume of photos to sort through, but also they are clearly spending a lot of time and energy peering at the pictures, trying to spot what may, or may not, be in the images. I know from my own experience that the validators are finding some hard-to-see phenomenon in my photos, and I appreciate it. And it’s been so helpful getting feedback.

I could go on and on, but I can’t praise the nature of the app enough and the people working on it. There’s no way I’d be into cloud spotting remotely as much as I am without them and the app. Well done, everyone.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.