Supralateral Arc? A friend took this today at Sugarbush ski area, Waitsfield, VT

Supralateral Arc? A friend took this today at Sugarbush ski area, Waitsfield, VT

Forums Cloud Identification Help Supralateral Arc? A friend took this today at Sugarbush ski area, Waitsfield, VT

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ann Stone avatarAnn Stone
      Participant

93D56B92-C076-423C-97F5-84E2FF5CB070

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Ann,

This is an amazing image. Is it right that it shows the same event as the image on the gallery by Chip Stone? Gallery

Yes I think we see a supralateral arc here (among many others). On the gallery it is classified as a 46 degrees halo. Always difficult to distinguish, but a rule of thumb is that the supralateral arc must touch the CZA, while the 46 degrees halo is a bit below. That’s why I think it is supralateral arc.

Ann Stone avatarAnn Stone
      Participant

Hi Hans,

My brother, Chip Stone, was skiing with his friend John.  John took this picture and my brother took the image seen in the Gallery.  And I mixed up the actual town the ski area is in (Sugarbush has a Warren address, though one drives through Waitsfield to get there).

Thank you for your thoughts, the event left them both in awe and left me envious! Wish I had been out to witness such a galaxy of arcs and halos. I have very little experience with these sort of formations and made a best guess based on a bit of research.  Thank you for your feedback.

Best, Ann

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.