Sprites

Sprites

Forums The Cloud Forum Sprites

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

It’s lucky that he was at some distance and got that wider view of the storm.

In the video, you can see lightning below and sprites above, some of them seem coordinated.

Red sprite over Oklahoma

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

I posted  this stuff some while ago but here it is again.

—————————————————————–

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170615.html

Red Sprites over the English Channel

Image Credit & Copyright: Stephane Vetter (Nuits sacrees, TWAN)

Explanation:

Mysterious and incredibly brief, red sprites are seen to occur high above large thunderstorms on planet Earth.

While they have been recorded from low Earth orbit or high flying airplanes, these dancing, lightning-like events were captured in video frames from a mountain top perch in northern France

Taken during the night of May 28, the remarkably clear, unobstructed view looks toward a multicell storm system raging over the English Channel about 600 kilometers away. Lasting only a few milliseconds, the red sprite association with thunderstorms is known. Still, much remains a mystery about the fleeting apparitions including the nature of their relation to other upper atmospheric lightning phenomena such as blue jets or satellite detected terrestrial gamma flashes.

Laurence

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Laurence, I saw your post back then. Amazing sight. But I doubt the claimed distance (600 km) mainly because of the lens one would need to use. (The Earth curvature would be a question too, but given these things are so high, it’s easy to ignore that factor.)

The text says the sprites were observed from mountains in northern France. I suspect those would be the Ardenes. A quick google maps measurement shows they are about 260 km from the English Channel. That is still quite a distance.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ardennes,+France/@50.2097173,1.7262833,7.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47ea1160a97f248d:0x30a5fb99a3725f0!8m2!3d49.7624642!4d4.6285053!5m1!1e4

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Fascinating thread and links; thanks, guys. Sprites, blue jets and elves did get a mention in Gavin Pretor-Pinney’s book The Clouspotter’s Guide.

My Concise OED includes ‘sprites’, my similar Collins does not.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.