So – who's going to the Cloud Conference?

So – who's going to the Cloud Conference?

Forums The Cloud Forum So – who's going to the Cloud Conference?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Gini Wells avatarGini Wells
      Participant

Well, I shall be there! Will any of my fellow Forumites be there, I wonder? See you on the 26th, if you’re going.

Mike Rubin avatarMike Rubin

Sorry I decided not to come as the ticket prices looked to be £100+ which was more than I was prepared to pay. I hope the conference goes well.

-Mike

Participant

Mike – the day ticket is £88 for CAS members, not £100+ – would you reconsider? It’s not too late!

Gini

Nigel Okey avatarNigel Okey
      Participant

I shall be there as well, although not a regular poster here. I’m looking forward to meeting others, hearing some interesting talks and re-acquainting myself with that part of London (I studied Chemistry at Imperial College, just down the road).

Dr_NO

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Gini, I am going to fly with Mike.

But I am very glad you have resurfaced – I am sponsoring a project relating my two hobbies of clouds and trees. CAS have agreed to adopt a tree (a cultivar with a flat base habit like cotton wool clouds). If all goes to plan it could involve children and education. Do you still have a CAS Forum hat saying ‘Special Interest Education’? If so would you be prepared to act as CAS’ mentor to Hillier Gardens (which is not the same as Hillier Nurseries and Garden Centres), with your experience in teaching clouds to children? In the link below (the Schools and Learning tab) as part of the curriculum they teach is a section on Weather – I am hoping they will wish to emphasise clouds more specifically:
      http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hilliergardens/hillier-schools.htm

‘H’

Participant

Sorry I won’t be meeting you or Mike at the Conference, ‘H’- maybe we can consider doing some regional mini-conferences next year if there’s enough interest….

Yes, I still wear an ‘education hat’ for the Forum, even though there is no longer a dedicated education section (and despite the fact that I retired from teaching three years ago) and the Hillier Gardens work sounds interesting. I note that the weather topic is designed for Foundation Stage children – my experience is with Key Stage 2, so the lessons I designed were mostly Language/Literature and Science based for children from 9 to 11. If this is of any use, I would be happy to help.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Thank you, Gini. I will pass your words to SHHGA Education and if they would like some advice I will try and e-mail you via CAS.

The actual tree adoption timing is drifting out (I guess CAS are too busy right now). I forgot to say the tree, Acer platanoides ‘Globosum’, has a common name Lollipop (another is mop-head).

‘H’

Mike Rubin avatarMike Rubin

I’d happily meet up another time indeed. Hope you enjoy the conference. Hope your project goes well H.

-Mike

Nigel Donovan avatarNigel Donovan
      Participant

It was a brilliant day – very informative and great to meet up with fellow Clousdpotters. Thanks to everyone who helped make it a memorable day, especially Gavin who appears to have magical reserves of energy!

Jim Hamilton avatarJim Hamilton
      Participant

Had a really great time yesterday. The added bonus of meeting the authors ( and speaking to them),of books which i have treasured, and enjoyed was an extra bonus. I think i was sitting next to Dr No from the above post. We talked about how it takes a very clever person to describe something complicated…….simply.Well havent got to Glastonbury yet, but yesterday was close enough. Big thankyou to gavin, and all the other CAS staff for putting on a great day.

Nigel Okey avatarNigel Okey
      Participant

Hi Jim,

I’ve been rumbled! It was indeed me who had the pleasure of sitting next to you in the lecture theatre and talking to you during the day. It was nice to meet you and other members.

See you at the next one?

Dr_NO

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.