Ribblehead viaduct

Ribblehead viaduct

Forums The Cloud Forum Ribblehead viaduct

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

This image appeared in The Times, UK, today.

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Hygge

Thanks for this.  Much appreciated.

I have travelled across this viaduct via vintage steam train and observed it by foot from ground level.  It is a highly impressive edifice!

What surprised me with the image you supplied is that all the gaps in between the arches /buttresses have all been bricked or fenced in whereas before one could freely walk through every arch / buttress.

Laurence

Participant

Hygge

Supplementing my previous comment here is what I meant about the arches / buttresses of the Ribbleshead viaduct.  As you can see from all the images from Google Images the arches etc are free of any embodiment and restriction.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ribblehead+viaduct&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiNm0vPrWAhUsDsAKHQF4BB4Q_AUICygC&biw=1602&bih=901

Laurence

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Ah, sorry Laurence. I was just admiring the clouds and fumulus (an ex- term which has been replaced in the new ICA I believe). The image was attached to an article which I have now binned (you could find it on-line). If I remember rightly the viaduct has been closed for a year for essential maintenance which necessitated the shoring up, but the work has gone well and it is due to re-open soon; how soon, perhaps November but don’t quote me.

Participant

Hygge

Here are images taken from Google Images of the famous and fabulous Ribbleshead Viaduct.  The gaps in the many arches are very apparent.  As you remarked previous, the viaduct is under repair, hence, the blanking out / in-filling of the arches whilst repair work undertakes.  I can tell you first hand, it is extremely windy there, even on a summer’s hot day – an ideal location for cooling down and admiring the clouds above.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ribblehead+viaduct&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKv9zVgILXAhVBNhoKHW7ECHEQ_AUICygC&biw=1602&bih=901

Laurence

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.