Pretty Scary looking

Pretty Scary looking

Forums Cloud Identification Help Pretty Scary looking

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven strick avatarSteven strick

…not sure what is going on up there…anyone have an answer? This is about Lake Coeur D’Alene in northern Idaho in May.20200530_091717 (2)

That’s a tricky one, Steven. Looks like there is a storm off to the right of the image, which suggests that the overcast sky might be the extended canopy at the top of the storm. As for the patch of cloud features in the middle, you could call these Altocumulus. But this doesn’t really capture how they are related to the storm system itself.

Ideas, anyone else?

Rob Thompson avatarRob Thompson
      Participant

Having a windsock in the picture is handy! The upper winds are likely be the same as the windsock and also be flowing left to right.

I would hazard a guess and say that the Alto Cu is forming in the crest of an upper wave system which is orientated directly towards and away from the photographer.

I had a look at the map and think I have my bearings correct….The hill country to the SW of the lake may be the trigger for this wave system. The SW winds would pass over flatter country in Washington State and then be kicked up by the high areas around Mica Peak which is about 2,600′ above the flat country and to the left of the picture.

The storm that Gavin was pondering upon may well be forming under the next crest of the wave system to the right.

Rob

Steven strick avatarSteven strick

Rob…that is a terrific explanation…and some serious research on your part…finding the location and all. Thank you!

Great suggestion, Rob!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.