possible nacreous cloud?

possible nacreous cloud?

Forums The Cloud Forum possible nacreous cloud?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, dear CAS, this is my first time posting in the forum.

Last night I saw this beautiful formation in the sky. It was around 7 pm and the sun had just set, the sky was getting dark. I saw it in San Diego, California, on the Pacific Ocean’s coast, to be more specific. It is the first time I’ve seen something like this, so I consulted my copy of The Cloudspotter’s Guide and researched it online. Based on its visual characteristics, it seems like this phenomenon was quite possibly a nacreous cloud (mother-of-pearl-cloud), and I wanted to ask for your opinion.

Thank you and warm regards,

Gaby

PS. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, I took them with my cellphone camera.

IMG_8925IMG_8930IMG_8927IMG_8923

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Gabriela, Welcome!  Those are pretty good shots for a cell phone. I believe San Diego is too far south to have nacreous clouds. The atmosphere has to be some  unimaginable -121f or something like that in order to get the physics for nacreous clouds and we’re talking 10 – 20 miles in altitude. Generally nacreous clouds stay up north of 50 degree latitude to get the cold required.

But what did you see and photograph? I suspect  exhaust plume from a missile. You might check to see if a rocket went off at Vandenberg  or if the Navy was practicing . I use to see those in the pre dawn sky on the way to work. Every now and then White Sands New Mexico would shoot a missile  to put something in the very high atmosphere. As The suns ray hit the stuff   fantastic ” Giant Jelly Fish From Jupiter”  blossomed in the eastern sky.  I had to tell  folks I was only kidding.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Confirmed..US Navy seems to have test fired a Titanll missile  to entertain us all. Google   Space Weather .

Gill Pountain avatarGill Pountain
      Participant

Fascinating, Michael, and beautiful, Gabriela. Thank you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.