pileus atop lenticular?

pileus atop lenticular?

Forums Cloud Identification Help pileus atop lenticular?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Pearson avatarRobert Pearson
      Participant

There are often lenticular clouds that form in this area of the sky near Mt Rainier, WA. This cloud has the smooth texture of a lenticular cloud but is oddly shaped compared to most lenticular clouds I’ve seen here. Pileus cloud seems to describe the little caps at the top, but the descriptions say they form an top of cumulus clouds. So, I’m not sure what’s going on here.

IMG_5995 (3a)

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That’s a nice puzzle Robert you offer us. I give it try for what it’s worth. Lenticular clouds must be regular visitors at the lee side of a mountain where they develop in the crests of the waves of air. Sometimes a bit irregular shaped like the ones you spotted. I understand your thoughts about pileus, but do you know about a pile d’assiettes (a stack of plates). Here is a nice explanation how they form: Pile d’assiettes. In your case there are these tiny thin plates above another thick one. I suppose it must have been for a dessert.

Robert Pearson avatarRobert Pearson
      Participant

Thanks! I had noticed the label of Pile d’assiettes but didn’t know exactly what it was. It makes sense. There are often leticular clouds that form where this one is at, many different shapes and sizes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.