Partial solar eclipse, Beijing – APOD image

Partial solar eclipse, Beijing – APOD image

Forums The Cloud Forum Partial solar eclipse, Beijing – APOD image

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Here is a really lovely shot of a partial eclipse over Beijing, China.  Image comes from the NASA APOD page.

The image is soothingly restful and the haze of the sky adds testament to the wonder of our Sun bringing, as it does, a partial eclipse.

Here is the image which, I am confident, you will enjoy viewing.

Take note of the text / explanation reproduced below and make note of dates:-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190111.html

“On January 6 the New Moon rose in silhouette with the Sun seen from northeastern Asia. Near maximum, the dramatic partial solar eclipse is captured in this telephoto view through hazy skies. In the foreground, the hill top Wanchun pavilion overlooking central Beijing’s popular Forbidden City hosts eclipse-watching early morning risers. This was the first of five, three solar and two lunar, eclipses for 2019. Next up is a total lunar eclipse during this month’s Full Perigee Moon. At night on January 21, that celestial shadow play will be visible from the hemisphere of planet Earth that includes the Americas, Europe, and western Africa.”.

Laurence

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Hi Laurence, this is an outstanding picture helped by the combination of circumstances. The sun is low, so no filter needed, therefore you can capture the landscape. Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

I am in a bit of a panic. We have a lunar eclipse coming in just over a week and I am still thinking what kind of shot(s) to take. The moon will be pretty high up, so if I am using a telephoto to get some moon details, it will be hard to get some landscape around it. Oh well, I still have time to think. (And it may even be snowing, who knows?)

Will the lunar eclipse be visible by you?

I caught on “film” a partial lunar eclipse in the early 2018. The moon set well before totality. But it looked great anyway.

DSC03979_ce

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

George, great shot you made withe the skyscrapers! So don´t panic and when you ask me, I´d prefer a moon together with some context like you did early 2018. The superbloodwolfmoon will also be visible over here in Europe. Unfortunately I won´t have my tele at hand at that time . Bad timing…..

Next collage I made of the eclipse of the 27th September of 2015.

2015-09 France_0592 duo2 klein

Participant

Hi all!

Greeting of the New Year if it is still not too late to wish all of you the very best and hoping all will auger well for the coming New Year.

Here are five images of “our” Moon.

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Penumbral Moon</span>:-

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap161012.html

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Blue Moon</span>:-

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap151003.html

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Far Side of Moon</span>:- – this is the side of the Moon we never see but China has this month wondrously landed a roving probe on this side of the Moon.  The terrain of the far side is rocky and hazardous and totally different to the comparatively serene sunlit face of the Moon we always see from Earth.  Congratulations, China!

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070225.html

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Full Moon</span>:-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap990419.html

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Full Moon taken from Earth</span> – in sharp detail:-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0001/fm1222_gendler_big.jpg

This image is amazing!  Taken from Earth – and not by a huge telescope.  The sharpness of detail is truly amazing, that is, peering through out clouds and atmosphere.  This photo is splendour!

Laurence

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Unfortunately, it was extremely overcast here in Dallas. The eclipse might as well have not occurred, for all the visibility locally. Did anyone get a shot of it?

All I have to offer is a shot of the eclipse last January (31/01/2018) from my front yard. Just before totality. I look forward to any CAS shots of 2019’s eclipse.

DH_42854

Participant

On the other hand  – – – – –

DH_42854

Participant

OOPS ! Got the date of the eclipse wrong. Good thing I don’t earn my living as an astronomer.
      Still, haze is beginning to cover the sky here in Dallas.

Participant

Love your wolf-like Skoll Don. This morning I saw the moon getting devoured leaving a blood moon and only for this occasion I was lucky that the sky was cloudless. Out of bed at 04:20 and watched the moon getting completly shadowed. Unfortunately no pictures but just the memory of watching it rather closely with a telescope. Afterwards a short nap and a new day was there. We have to wait until the 7th of September 2025 for the next total eclipse over here.

Participant

Hi Hans

I am not certain whereabouts you live but according to the UK’s BBC’s Weather Watchers website the next total lunar eclipse is expected in two years, on 26 May 2021 – a wee bit before 2025.

Laurence

Participant

Hi Laurence I checked calendar of eclipses that are visible in the Netherlands and the one you mention on 26 May 2021 is to my surprise indeed not visible over here.  Until 7 September 2025 there are several eclipses of which the total eclipses are not visible over here or just the beginning and the same applies to some more partial eclipses. So for a comparable event over here like last Monday we have to wait until 7 September 2025. I was so lucky that Mr. Sod did not prevent me from seeing the spectacle. I hope he keeps quiet the next time you have your chance again on 26 May 20221. Fingers crossed!

Participant

Hi Laurence

My whereabouts are in Haarlem, the Netherlands  so there must be no big difference in next dates for an eclipse with the UK. I got the date from a Dutch newspaper. Maybe it is the totality of the eclipse that makes the difference?

Anyway thank you for pointing this out. Now I want to know more and I will try to find out what was meant.

Hans

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

A couple of things about eclipses. I got my eclipse dates  and other information from this site:

https://www.timeanddate.com/

Move your mouse over “Sun & Moon” and you will see all sorts of information including eclipses. There should be a place to specify your location. I got very detailed information about the eclipse specific to New York including phases of the eclipse and the azimuth and elevation of the moon at those points.

Now, speaking of elevation, Hans, I would have loved to put the eclipsed in some context, as you suggested, but it was difficult because the moon was very high as seen here, almost 70 degrees. I wanted to use a telephoto, so the moon is a bit bigger than a dot, but then the context needs to be at some proportional distance. For example, in the shot with the skyscrapers, they were at 11 km from me, so that ratio with the moon worked well. But if the moon is high up in the sky it’s a different story, cannot find a context at that distance. So the only thing I came up with was the combinations with the Gemini stars, which were really calling for it.

Incidentally, it was very cold, 7F/-14C, and very windy. Reminded me of Yellowknife.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.