New Year's Day Clouds

New Year's Day Clouds

Forums The Cloud Forum New Year's Day Clouds

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Perhaps CAS can  pick up the traditional we had going at the previous web site; Pictures of the sky on New Years Day, hopefully the sky filled with clouds.  If its allowed,  lets post Your New Years Day Cloud Photographs Here.

Gini Wells avatarGini Wells
      Participant

Happy New Year to all CAS Forumites from a very grey Devon, England.  It seems to be a given that New Year’s Day here brings unrelenting stratus and intermittent drizzle, so I’m not going to depress people by posting a picture of it!  I hope the skies over you today are full of interest and wonder and I hope that 2017 will be a little less ‘interesting’ than 2016!! May your year be filled with dappled sunlight and cloudy delights.  Gini.

Participant

Hello Gini! Happy New Years to You and All of CAS! I hope there is a break in the grey for you to delight in the clouds. I had to wait for it to stop raining, about 5 minutes. The low fast moving stratus cumulus are always dramatic so I spent awhile in the backyard before I noticed I wasn’t dressed warm enough. The weather satellite pictures indicate wet for the next 24hrs.

jan0117b9691

Participant

Well that looks a whole lot more interesting than our grey skies, Mike!  Happy New Year to you and may you have many wonderfully cloudy days to revel in this year!

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Likewise, Gini (good to hear from you, your New Year’s Resolution perhaps).. But I wanted to experiment with uploading a picture the new way since MikeL had suggested it was easier – it is. Having uploaded two, it took me a while to realise I had to click ‘Text’, top right, to add text.

I had charged up the DSLR in the hope that a photographer like MikeL or Ian would suggest the NYD pictures (that way would likely get at least one picture). Expecting a front with rain about mid morning I went outside around 0915 only to find I had left the DSLR switched ON, hence it was flat. So these are with the shirt pocket camera.

South is first, North is second; I have not worked out how to insert text between the two pics.

P1000818P1000820

P.S. Gini I mentioned to you once about CAS adopting a lollipop tree at Hillier Gardens, UK. I hope you noticed we did eventually succeed:

Attention all Cloudspotters

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

We had the opposite problem in New York, hardly a cloud in the sky. I guess this is what some would call a perfect day ;-) . Good visibility, if you zoom in you can see the New York City skyline from about 40 miles away.

NYC_from_afar

Participant

Well I never, I just learnt that if you click on the picture it does zoom in. (Using Ctrl + enlarges text but not initially the picture, though it does if you keep repeating it; very odd). Thanks for triggering that George.

Bear Mountain I can’t find on my road map or atlas – what is the nearest town?

Participant

Happy New Year, hygge and George! I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, but I do hope to be more present on the Forum than I was in 2016 – life just gets in the way sometimes. Brilliant news about the Lollipop tree, hygge – well done! Today Devon has blue skies similar to yours yesterday, George – what a contrast to the rain we had all day yesterday, which I what I guess you may be having today, Mike. I will take a photo of the next interesting sky we have here – in other words, something that isn’t all grey or all blue! (that is, if I can get the hang of posting photos -so long since I’ve done that!).

Participant

Hygge, Bear Mountain is a state park. It’s just south of West Point, NY. If you follow the Hudson river, you will see Bear Mountain on the west side of the river. The highest peaks are about 1200-1300 ft (with the Hudson practically at sea level). By contrast, the Catskills highest peaks are over 4000 ft, which allows them to make their own weather, as one would say. More interesting clouds in the Catskills.

Participant

In between the rain spells I shot straight up and got this pic yesterday. Heres to 2017! Happiness and Health To All!

jan0117b9685

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

New years day in Holland was like in Devon, Gini. Only one shade of gray. I had to wait for the next day for some contrast and color, or is that cheating on the thread with this name? Anyway I like to contribute, so everybody happy new year  to all!

2017-01-02 Einde dag_0033 ns klein

Participant

I think it was worth the wait.

Participant

Lovely photo, Hans! We have another clear blue day here in Devon. I shouldn’t complain, the sunshine is lovely and even quite warm, but the only disturbance to the blue is coming from contrails today (and one small cumulus that has now scudded away).

Participant

I had meant to add an observation from photographer Don McCullin in the weekend media. He does landscapes too these days ‘Not clear winter sunsets – that is too chocolate boxy. I prefer the murky and metallic skies.’

However, George, your NY NYD picture is very evocative of the Catskills.

Participant

Hygge, my shot was from Bear Mountain. There would be another 50-60 miles to the Catskills southern edge. Here is a picture from the Catskills from a while back. I guess the color of the leafless woods and the rounded hills look similar indeed.

IMG_0259

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.