New Years Day Clouds 2019

New Years Day Clouds 2019

Forums The Cloud Forum New Years Day Clouds 2019

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Photo Editor avatarPhoto Editor
      Keymaster

As in previous years it would be great to see images of clouds that appear around the world on New Years Day. Please feel free to post your 2019 submissions on the subject here. Hope you are all enjoying the festive season and I would like to wish you all a very happy, healthy, cloudy and prosperous New Year.

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Technically, it was still December 31 in the location where I took this shot, but there were places on earth where the new year had started. Happy New Year everyone! May your 2019 be filled with great opportunities to see beautiful clouds.

halo2

Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
        Participant

Wow!!!  Those are some amazing colors!!! I could sit and look at this forever!! Great shot!

Ramona

Photo Editor avatarPhoto Editor
      Keymaster

A nice cloudy day over Lincolnshire, UK.IanL

Participant

Nice cloud cover!  One of my sons is vacationing in the UK right now and I was going to ask him what the skies are like, but now I don’t need to!  Thanks for sharing!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

George that are two fantastic sundogs to begin the year with! I bet its very cold over there. Brrrreautiful!

And in Lincolnshire its a bit like here Ian.

Best wishes for 2019 to all!

IMG_5035

First Cumulus of the year casts its shadows.

Participant

Cool shadows!!!  I love to try and figure out what is casting the shadows – I guess the clouds in the forefront are the shadow makers here?

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Happy New Year Everybody!

jan0119b1208

Participant

Michael!  I appreciate your comment on my photo in the Cloudscapes Volume II thread!  For some reason I am not able to comment on that particular thread – it keeps saying I need to log in, even after I do log in.  I was able to access this thread, so I reposted the photo here, because I have been looking for a Fallstreak Hole for a LONG time!!  It would just figure that I caught one without knowing it, LOL!!

I love your little puffy cloud!  It looks like the tip of a poodle’s tail!

Thanks!

Ramona

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

… and a dreamy one to all cloud lovers everywhere from California~~~IMG_2123_New Year's Day_2019

Participant

Ahhhhh, gorgeous California skies!  It’s so fun seeing clouds from around the globe here in one place!

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

George – I’d love to even SEE some sundogs, much less get them captured the way you did.
      Michael – A 2019 explosion of joy
      Keelin- What a nice sharp line between blue and its complimentary color, yellow. Good catch.
      Hans – The white is stabbing the dark to disperse it, knowing that 2019 is going to be a good one.

Unfortunately, completely overcast in Dallas, so that even the asperitas (if there was any) was hidden. A bit like Lincolnshire, only carried to the extreme.

Great 2019 to everyone!!

Participant

The metadata says this was taken on Jan 2, but the date is wrong.  I keep meaning to fix that!  ;-)

These clouds were dense enough for the sun to just make an appearance while right next to a “marker ball” on the electrical lines.  I thought the juxtaposition was interesting.

Ramona

IMG_5681editpma

Participant

Something odd is going on with my account…. I am logged in and can comment on this thread, but when I try to comment on the Cloudscapes Volume II thread it shows me as not logged in. I have tried over and over – while being logged in – but I am not able to access that thread.  Has it been closed to comments?

I was very excited to reply to the thread, as Michael mentioned that my photo may have been of a Fallstreak Hole.  That is TOP on my cloud bucket list, and it amuses me that one may have been right before my eyes and I didn’t realize it!  I am eager to find out how to identify it as a Fallstreak Hole – or not?  Since I am able to comment on this thread I will post it here again.  After all, it WAS taken on New Year’s Day!  I would appreciate opinions on whether it is a Fallstreak Hole – and perhaps letting me know if there is a way to identify it for certain?  I have seriously been searching the skies for that phenomenon for a long time now!!  Forgive me for posting it in two different threads – if I could access the other one I would not even consider doing this!IMG_5823_1edita

Thanks!
      Ramona

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Ramona, you are not the only one with login problems; just now I logged in and renewed my subscription successfully, went to the Forum to find it frozen a day or so back and saying ‘login’ (and not for the first time)! Both CAS and Don (many thanks) advise clearing your cache (in Windows press Control/Shift/Delete); whilst this has worked for me it is not the whole answer – and why does the cache now matter when for years it did not.

Love your complex picture and await the answer…

Participant

hygge, thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one with “issues”!  I can turn off the “paranoid” button now!  ;-)

I DID get confirmation by our local meteorologist on the Fallstreak Hole!  Here is what he said,  “The fallstreak…yes. That’s what you have there. It’s a jet contrail-induced fall streak. The particles in the jet exhaust became nuclei for the ice in those clouds to collect. They basically became precipitation and fell out!”

I am doing a happy cloud dance now!!

Edited to redact, unfortunately!!

Awwww, man!! I just got another email from him. Now I have to go back and undo all of the posts I made! Quoting the meteorologist:

Hold up!
        I just added it to my graphics system, and it is NOT a Fallstreak.
        It’s a gap in the altocumulus clouds with some cirrus moving overhead. So sorry…the big blown up version was clear, the small on one my computer screen wasn’t.

Participant

6loud Story

New Year’s Day much chagrin – malware!

OK now, but snaps still not loaded down from camera.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

To all: my workaround for the login problem that seems to re-occurr is first to login to be sure you are really logged in, then go to a different page you want to go to (forum, gallery, whatever). Each time your login is forgotten by the system (you can see that because your avatar top right of the screen disappears) do a refresh of the page and the avatar (and so your login) reappears and you can go on. I hope it helps.

Ramona, I would have thought myself it was a fallstreak hole you spotted, but the analysis by your friend is quite decisive and clever (unfortunately for you). I am sure you can do your dance later this year when you keep looking for altocumulus. When there are also planes in the neighborhood you soon will dance. Good luck!

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

I think it’s a fallstreak hole. The reason is that those “cirrus” clouds are below the altocumulus, You can see that on the right end of the gap.

Participant

Thanks, Hans. I have never known how to refresh a page (as distinct from refresh of Windows itself) but just read that F5 should do it and it did.

Participant

F5 works

I just logged in, went to the Forum to find the head and shoulders ‘log in’ symbol top right, pressed F5 and the screen went blank for a moment and my ‘H’ avatar (Hans’ word) appeared top right so I was able to write this.

Participant

Thanks, Hans! That worked for me this time!  And, yes, I LOVE having a couple of local meteorologists to interact with and ask questions of!  George, I have a TON of photos of that cloud formation and I have sent them to my meteorologist friend to reevaluate.  He may or may not get around to it, though. ;-)  It’s okay either way – I will keep looking for more fallstreak holes!  Another one that is HIGH on my bucket list is the Horseshoe Vortex!

Blessings
        Ramona

Participant

Midday, plane to the east, sun to the south, contrail to the WSWDSC_0007DSC_0005DSC_0003

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Ramona, hygge, and anyone else –

I have identical issues when accessing the Forum through my iPhone. I can log in, but not access, seemingly random, threads. I do not have these problems when using my PC.

My tentative conclusion (due somewhat that I can control everything on my PC, but not on my Apple phone) :

Apple phones do not seem to clear history very well, so if you’ve ever accessed a thread while not being logged on, then Apple automatically redirects you back to the not-logged-on-version of the thread.

Does this spark any experiences?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.