Nebraska 6.13.18 Widespread Formation with Asperitas

Nebraska 6.13.18 Widespread Formation with Asperitas

Forums The Cloud Forum Nebraska 6.13.18 Widespread Formation with Asperitas

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Laura Hilkemann avatarLaura Hilkemann
      Participant

On June 13, Nebraska, USA saw an interesting, widespread cloud event which included asperitas formations. The day before there were several small (EF-0) tornadoes (http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Weather-service-confirms-5-Nebraska-tornadoes-1-in-Iowa-485368291.html).
      My view was not as dramatic as some, but here are a few unedited photos for anyone interested. As the formation approached from the West, it appeared as a string of triangles in an arch across the sky. Upside down, it appears as waves. The South end of the arch appeared as streaks flowing over a dome. After the formation passed overhead, it appeared as a large arch in the sky with a thin, twisted ribbon/wave in the center and streaks on one side rather than triangles.

DSC06404 b smDSC06396 b smDSC06355 b smDSC06343 b smDSC06406 b sm

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thanks for sharing these fantastic pictures Laura. They show amazing and impressing structures in the sky.

This is asperitas on a different scale than I  can observe sometimes in the Netherlands. No tornadoes over here to make it that spectacular (better not I should say) but nevertheless still some ´modest ´asperitas sometimes.

To show what I mean a picture of some asperitas that showed up just yesterday. The scenery is typical Dutch with a Windmill on the foreground.

2018-06 Wolken_0189-2

Participant

Thanks for sharing your photo! I like it. It’s always twice as good when both the land and sky look nice in the photo!

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

How cool is that?!! Laura I hope a new dimension of “Awesome”  is yours from experiencing  the Asperitas pictured here. Heck maybe Awesome is too small a word! Thanks for the photos!

Participant

Thanks, Michael! Awesome is a great word for the clouds that day! They were definitely mesmerizing. Glad you liked the photos!

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Fantastic images, Laura! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I like the way it feels to be surprised and delighted like this – the unplanned intake of breath with eye widening and the spontaneous smile that lingers. Hope we see more from you on the forums.

Participant

Thank you, Keelin! I agree on the excitement of seeing a surprise in the sky. It’s wonderful to see unexpected clouds!

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Seeing this a little late, nevertheless, Laura, these are sensational pictures. I don’t think the tornadoes on the day before had much to do with the clouds, maybe the general atmospheric conditions were conducive to either. But I wonder what ware the sky conditions right before or after. E.g. any storm, rain, clear sky. How long did these clouds last?

Anyway, again, incredible pictures.

Participant

Hi George, thank you for your comments! The weather data for that day and the following is below in the chart. No rain at the time, and the wind changed direction. The next day was significantly warmer.

The clouds quickly approached and went overhead and then moved off to the east. So I didn’t get to see them long because of how fast they moved away. However, I saw photos posted hours earlier of it when it was to the west of me on the Facebook group Nebraska Through the Lens.

The best viewings I have personally seen of asperitas so far have been the day following a severe storm, which is why I mentioned the tornadoes. A particularly good time was the day after the June 3, 2014 Hail Storm in Nebraska that had baseball-sized hail and caused much damage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/06/04/hail-in-a-gale-parts-of-nebraska-iowa-blasted-by-baseball-sized-projectiles/

_20180629_233806

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

Laura, thanks for all this information. Those hail stones are impressive. One hears in the news about such things, but to see them, even in a picture, and the damage, it’s something else.

I looked at the facebook site. Very nice pictures, including clouds. I only passed through Nebraska in my travels, but I will make sure I’ll visit and spend more time. Maybe I’ll catch some good clouds too.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.