Multicloud skies

Multicloud skies

Forums The Cloud Forum Multicloud skies

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric Rietzschel avatarEric Rietzschel
      Participant

Sometimes there’s so many different clouds to see simultaneously. This might be an interesting addition for the Cloudspotter app: the multicloud sky. PerhapsĀ something for a badge, when identifying at least, say, 4 different cloud types and/or optic phenomena in one spotting. Or something like that. Then again, it may be difficult to capture such skies without making use of the Panorama function of the camera or using an add-on lens.IMG_8189

Eric Rietzschel avatarEric Rietzschel
      Participant

IMG_4899

Marsha Smithhisler avatarMarsha Smithhisler
      Participant

Sounds like a great idea, Eric.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Eric, your Multicloud skies sound to me akin to the cloud classification CM=9, Chaotic sky

https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/cm-9.html

But I guessĀ Gavin Pretor-Pinney and his publisher for The Cloud Collector’s Handbook made a conscious decision not to involve the cloud classification code figures CL, CM, CH for low, medium and high clouds, perhaps for simplicity to engage a wider public.

Rival author Richard Hamblyn (also a CAS member) does use the codes in some of his books.

N.B.Ā  The old ICA Vol II, a book of pictures, gave the code figuresĀ beneath each picture. The three pictures of a Chaotic sky gave respectively

CL=1, CM=9, CH=8

CL=0, CM=9, CH=0

CL=3, CM=9, CH=2

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Cloud Types, 1982

Eric, page 13 of this PDF gives a Pictorial Guide to mid-level clouds CM: Ac – As – Ns. CM9 Chaotic sky is at the top right ofĀ page 13, while CM9 is described on page 16

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/r/i/cloud_types_for_observers.pdf

Thanks for this suggestion, Eric. We’ll bear it in mind when we next consider additions to the CloudSpotter app!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.