Moonbow on Mt. Washington

Moonbow on Mt. Washington

Forums The Cloud Forum Moonbow on Mt. Washington

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

I was intrigued by the double bow, in fact, I think I see a third one, all separated by darker blue circles. Brings to mind the supranumerary rainbow effect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUA2foalHFC/

Not sure how familiar people are with the Mount Washington Observatory. Mt Washington is the highest peak in the NE of the US. The Observatory was established in 1870 and functioned until 1892. Then re-established in 1932 by enthusiastic scientists. In 1934, they recorded the highest wind speed ever, 231 mph. The word “recorded” is key here. Tornado winds speeds can certainly be higher, but they are not recorded in the same manner. Actually, a new record has literally been found a number of years after the event occurred, 253 mph on Barrow Island, Australia (1996). It was recorded by an automatic station.

Back to the MWO, the meteorologists are generally young graduates. They work in shifts, one week on the mountain, one week off. All year round. If you ca put up with this schedule (and the confined, shared lodging) this can be an incredibly satisfying job as far as observing weather, clouds and atmospheric phenomena.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

George..I just caught myself thinking, ” who in their right mind would go to the coldest windiest place to be a weatherman?”. I live where it gets 121f during the summer along with 2 to 3months of monsoon . Yet, when with camera , all that is forgotten. Weather can make you forget about the weather.

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Hi George & Michael

Thanks for the sharing of this very interesting item.  It made for educative reading.

Rainbows – well, today on the BBC News’ “Weather Watchers” website are featured some 10 photos depicting our summer taken over period 21-23 July 17.  Picture #1 shows a lovely double rainbow-open link below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weatherwatchers/article/40703426/gallery-summer-photos

Again, my thanks for the postings.  Winds of 250+ mph – incredible!

Laurence

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Yes, indeed, Michael.

Laurence, those photographs are very nice, especially the rainbow, full and nicely centered. Thanks for the link.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

I see a moonbow in today’s auora thread – second picture from BBC Scotland

Northern Lights over Lake District, Cumbria, and, Scotland

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.