Mixed skies in Fairfax Va

Mixed skies in Fairfax Va

Forums Cloud Identification Help Mixed skies in Fairfax Va

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sheila Shoup avatarSheila Shoup
      Participant

altostratus, undulatus, cirrocumulus, cirrostratus with sun corona_2022 06 21_Fairfax, VA near Bonnie Brae ES_2_treetop about 30 feet high

Yesterday (June 21,2022) afternoon i took this photo with my phone. There was a real party going on in the skies – clouds at many levels scurrying about . I think the photo shows altocumulus, cirrocumulus, undulatus, cirrostratus, and corona. Just above the treetop there are 3 darker sort-of-parenthesis-shapes any idea what this is? Is it related to whatever is going on at the bottom left of the photo?  — any insights would be appreciated by this newbie.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That is very nice mixed sky you spotted, Sheila. In my opinion you have all the relevant cloud types well identified. When I zoom in on the parenthesis-like clouds jst above the trees in the image they seem to be some lower hanging small cloud structures. To me they look not to be very much lower than the altocumulus layer, so I guess they may be virga falling from the altocumulus. I am not sure I must say, so I look forward to any different opinion.
      Best wishes, Hans

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

I agree with Hans. They look to be a series of virga like entrails. Interesting for sure and a lovely sky to see I bet!

Sheila Shoup avatarSheila Shoup
      Participant

Your info is much appreciated!  I can confidently check off those cloud types as spotted. Thank you, Hans and Gregory.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.