Magic Moment

Magic Moment

Forums The Cloud Forum Magic Moment

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

There are some interesting clouds at the front, I was helpfully advised before 10 am this morning. So I wandered into the north facing study and it blew my socks off; I was looking at a pileus. I gawped then realised I should get the camera (too much hasty fumbling) to capture this short lived phenomenon (The Cloud Collector’s Handbook page43). The cloudscape was taken a few seconds later as it was disappearing.

DSC_0001DSC_0003

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Excellent !…I forget how rare these Pileus are in some places. Fortunate for you hygge to be quick enough to get a pic or two !..The monsoon season here in Arizona  was a bit late but as of August 1..i’m trying to get a pic of a Pileus every day…Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Indeed a nice example Hygge. Having your camera nearby is an advantage with these elusive phenomena.

Yes pileus isn’t quite a daily thing over here Michael. I wish you lots of fun spotting them in the monsoon season and I look forward for some examples.

Recently I spotted a very large one. It was that large that I even thought it might be a separate lenticularis, but the sky was completely lenticularis-less elsewhere and it was only appearing in connection with the cumulus, so it must have been the rising of moist air over this huge cu congestus that has caused the giant cap. Any opinions on this?

IMG_2064IMG_2065

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Nice catch, Hygee! And good luck to you, Michael. Can’t wait to see what comes your way.

And that’s a beautiful cloud formation, Hans, regardless of label. As for the image below, I’m also not sure about it considering there is Lenticularis nearby. Anyone have an idea? I’ve never seen Pileus at home here in Napa. This ice cream sandwich was spotted in Colorado.

IMG_3122_Ice Cream Sandwhich

Participant

Very nice ice cream sandwich Keelin. This IS pileus. No doubt. Beautiful.

Participant

Well August Started Out All Monsoon but it fizzled out over the last 4 days..So no Pileus! Anyway, here is a pic from Aug 1. You can almost taste the humidity.

aug0119b5841Pileus

Participant

The last 3 days  have been with out cloud in the middle of  August in Arizona….Monsoon  is amongst the missing!  Heres a shot from Aug 7…the last day  of any Monsoon presence  that I witnessed.

aug0719b6146Pileus

Participant

Another Pileus from Aug 7.

aug0719b6191Pileus

Participant

Velum and Pileus…Aug 7

aug0719b6166pileus

Participant

Wow, that’s one great veil! It is beautiful Michael.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

These Pileus and Velum shots are gorgeous, Michael. Put a feather in your cap!

Participant

I Thank You Both!  I bought a new camera a while back. The final picture it provides is fantastic but getting there is not as easy as it should be. Anyway I ‘ve been happy with the resolution and everything of the pictures which I think is evident in these pileus photos.

BTW..There actually was a Cumo-nimbus formed up just south of Phoenix today..Satellite  fotos show some humidity coming in from the southeastern Pacific..so maybe the Monsoon will re-establish its self and the SouthWest will get needed rain and I’ll get some more Pileus shots!  But I’m not betting on it.

Another from Aug 7

aug0719b6172Pileus

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.