Kelvin-Helmholtz question

Kelvin-Helmholtz question

Forums Cloud Identification Help Kelvin-Helmholtz question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ronna Friend avatarRonna Friend
      Participant

I occasionally see a cloud with one or two waves at the top at the same time that would seem to qualify as Kelvin-Helmholtz but they quickly dissolve, even as others along the top may form (and dissolve) soon after. So I am curious whether there is a minimum number of waves that need to be present at the same time for a cloud to qualify as Kelvin-Helmholtz. Thank you.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Ronna, as far as I know there is no minimum number of waves. I have seen very convincing examples of fluctus with just one wave.

Hans

Ronna Friend avatarRonna Friend
      Participant

It sounds like it has more to do with the overall cloud structure – I’ll look into this more. I’m new to the Cloud Appreciation Society and appreciate being able to ask this kind of question – thank you!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

No problem Ronna, I understand. The cloud structure for KH (or fluctus according to the International Cloud Atlas) is its typical crest. When there is a row of these crests, they are unmistakable. You can search the gallery using the filter and choose “Fluctus (Kelvin Helmholtz)”. You will find lots of examples among which (after some scrolling) also one with one crest. Lots of pleasure with it!

Hans

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.