Isolated Mammatus?

Isolated Mammatus?

Forums Cloud Identification Help Isolated Mammatus?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

This is the second time in as many days that I have seen what “appears” to be an isolated mammatus cloud on the underneath side of a cloud.  I have posted a photo similar to this before and if I remember correctly it was confirmed.  I always thought mammatus came in cloudy skies?  Could it be that they can develop in singular clouds like this, or is this an optical illusion from the angle?  Black and white photo for contrast, also.

Thanks!
      Ramona

IMG_5496editlowIMG_5496editbw

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

This very well could be a case of isolated mammatus. I have actually seen it come in the cirrus form before which is absolutely fascinating. Therefore, I don’t believe it must be near a thunderstorm or must be cloudy for mammatus to form. This is a wonderful capture by the way! If anyone else has any other opinion, please do share! Also here is a photo (not mine) of cirrus mamma because I think it is insanely cool…

20090112130046_cirrus_2s

Credit: John Rowlands

Participant

Oh, thank you for your reply!  I am fascinated by these tiny mamma clouds!  I actually saw ANOTHER one only two days later – under similar weather circumstances.  Will attach photos here, too – the suspected area of mamma is on the bottom of the top cloud, around the middle of the photos.  Thanks for sharing yours!

Blessings,

Ramona

IMG_8264editlowIMG_8301EDITlow

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ramona Edwards avatarrje623.
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

I agree with Gregory, Ramona, that mamma can develop isolated in all kind of situations and not necessary underneath an anvil of a leaving cumulonimbus.

Here is one of my examples.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0082 asr klein

And my last one is mamma that develop in the streaks of a fallstreak hole. Very peculiar.

2022-02 Wolken (113)-gallerij (Groot)

Participant

Oh my, Hans!!  That is an amazing catch!!  I don’t think I would have figured that one out – so glad you were able to photograph it!

Blessings

Ramona

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.