Is this the same type of cloud as today’s (March 16)?

Is this the same type of cloud as today’s (March 16)?

Forums The Cloud Forum Is this the same type of cloud as today’s (March 16)?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Emily Klenin avatarEmily Klenin
      Participant

20190315_211340028_iOS

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Klenin you have a knack for asking enigmatic questions (I am still awaiting details of those paintings in Oslo).

As for this one – a fine picture, with several cloud types, but….

Anyway, welcome back.

Participant

Hello, and thank you, I’m glad I’m back and that I’m welcome and that you like my picture. I didn’t mean to be enigmatic, it’s just that the Cloud of the Day for March 16 was a *very* intimidating arcus being pushed ahead of a very dark storm, while *my* clouds don’t look at all the same, although in a way they should: blue sky notwithstanding, it rained furiously and at length only five minutes later.  I really would like to know how to label the white stuff in the picture, and I have no idea. We have always had lots of rain and so lots of clouds here (rural central Pennsylvania, US) but never, ever such vast shifts of weather so quickly — twenty degrees in temperature over a few hours, winds twenty mph bringing in a completely new weather and then dropping to deadly still for half a day. Overall half again as much rain as normal, according to those who keep the records. So the clouds are noticeably different from in earlier years, much more ephemeral, and more exotic, compared to the little fluffies we used to have. Since Welsh, according to the March 14 posting, has so many different kinds of rain, perhaps we should all go back to speaking that that tongue, once in use here but not in many years. Anyway, I keep photographing the clouds here, just because I like them, and they’re here and so am I.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

K.. The puff clouds  above roof tops  are cumulus congestus. The smooth cloud behind them and higher is a lenticular at altocumulus heights and the clouds at top of picture but nearest to camera are cumulus humilis,in my humble opinion.The congestus were probably responsible for the rain. Have fun!

Participant

Klenin, sorry, I tend not to see Cloud of the Day – I should have realised.

Michael, a thought – is it possible your lenticular (heading to the top of the tree on the right) is old velum having formed under the congestus and now drifting away?

Participant

Klenin, some questions which might point to lenticularis if the answers are yes

* is there high ground upwind of the cloud

* was the atmosphere stable (perhaps not if it rained 5 minutes later)

* did the cloud stay still rather than drift with the wind

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Actually it was that cloud that was really puzzling me. I hadn’t noticed the shape of the bottom. When I have seen lenticular clouds right next to cumulus they usually look at least as if they are roughly the same height, and I don’t usually see them in town here, more often in the countryside. There is always high ground upwind at the spot where I took the pic, though, because the town is in a hollow surrounded by hills. The cloud stayed still long enough to have its picture taken but was shortly overtaken by the storm from the west (I was facing east and a little north) — it wasn’t terribly windy, but all the clouds were moving at a pretty good clip. I really appreciate your taking the time to think about this and explain what could be going on — I ‘m afraid I am considered quite the eccentric among my more practically minded neighbors. So thank you!</p>

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.