Interesting cloud over Hampstead

Interesting cloud over Hampstead

Forums The Cloud Forum Interesting cloud over Hampstead

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kay Gallwey-Chand avatarKay Gallwey-Chand
      Participant

Did anyone see the sky over Hampstead London NW3 and around about this evening, Sunday7th October 18.23, there was a wonderful sky with black coming up from the back, not clouds but like strokes of paint going across the sky then there was a pink rainbow in an arch and in front were three or four dashes of small short black clouds, it was like nothing I have seen before, there were aeroplanes in the sky leaving their trail but this pale pink which began to fade before I could rush in to get my camera was wide as a rainbow and as baeutiful. Did anyome else see it or take a photo.

Participant

Dear members,

The Cloudspotters Guide is my bible. I have given it away to so many friends, gardeners and artists and now bought a nrew one with none of my turned pages and scribbles on it.

You so kindly put my monotype of a “Rainbow” of one colour, orangy pink with dark sky belowand 3 black Japanese style blops of clouds.

I have looked in my Bible but find no explanation for a one colour rainbow, I am in London and Sheena in Somerset says she saw it.

One cannot be a detective in these matters, as our evidence disappears before our eyes wonderfully.

Has anyone any ideas or knowledge to convey.

Very best wishes to all,

Kay Gallwey

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Kay,

To me it seems you have seen a redbow. Never seen one myself by the way. A redbow is a  rainbow but being only red, or almost only red. I read you spotted it at sunset and redbows only occur at sunset (or sunrise for early risers) when the sun is low and only the reds are left over to form a rainbow.

Here is a link with an explanation. On the page where you are linked to, you can also find two other links (bottom right) to more examples of which the second one is indeed only red.

Redbow

On the gallery you can also find examples by selecting ‘Rainbow’ and ‘Sunset/Sunrise’.

I am curious whether this redbow looks like what you saw. I have no suggestion for your black Japanese style blops of clouds. Maybe lenticulars being black because the sun sets and they don’t catch light any more? Just a wild guess….

Best wishes, Hans

Participant

Dear Hans,

Thank you for your explanation (so quickly) of what I saw. Being a painter I am worried that sometimes what I think I see isn’t actual but that redbow is definitely printed on my mind and with clouds and that is why they are so wonderful, they move and change and disappear as did the Redbow. I wished I had photographed instead of my very quickly dome monotype. Which of course is the other way round of what I actually so because it is a print, an oil painting on a piece of tin and then a piece of paper put over it and printed. It was the quickest think I could do because my camera battery had run out.

Here in Hampstead, which is one of the highest points in London, this time of the year is wonderful for clouds as Pinney says a blue sky is lovely but in my words boring. All the best to you throut this lovely coming Autumn and that you again for putting my mind at rest.

I am dyslexic so my husband does all this typing, he says he was unable to upload a jpg of the monotype on the forum page because it was too large but sent it to Sheena to put on the gallery.

All the best again,

Kay

Participant

Dear Kay, you’re welcome.

Nice to read it was what I suggested. On my turn I had to look up what a monotype is and – with what I have read – I am really surprised you chose to make a monotype of what you saw. It does not seem to be a very quick process compared to making a picture (but I agree, the batteries must cooperate). The more because the clouds and optical effects are so quickly changing. And … the more I look forward for your monotype on the gallery.

By the way: a jpg can easily made smaller with some photoshop facilities or the standard resize feature of Windows.

You must have a privileged view high over London from Hampstead. So I suppose you enjoy cloud- and rainbowspotting over there.

Best wishes again,

Hans

Participant

Dear Hans,

Monotypes came from artists overpainting and getting too much linseed oil, etc. on the canvas. At the Royal Academy Schools, Fleetwood Walker and Middleton Todd taught us to lay a sheet of newspaper gently over our paintings, pressing lightly to soak it all up and give a fresh . The newspaper was then thrown away but if you do it with plain paper (I get a huge stack from my lovely local fish and chip shop) the result is a monotype. Do it again and you leave a ghost, where they can be worked on with charcoal, pastels, whatever you like. You can also roll black oil paint or printing ink all over the blank surface, take something sharp and draw into it, also my fingers as well, anything that comes to hand from brillo pads to feet and hands, its great fun.

I paint straight onto plain steel for monotypes, then print. Its great and very fast, as you must have found out Hans, artists have been doing it for hundreds of years, Rembrandt, Matisse, Chagall, degas. The best book I know is “The Painterly Print” published by the Metropolital Museum of Art in New York.

All the very best,

Kay

Participant

Dear Kay, I saw your monotype on the homepage. One word: Fantastic!

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

I think I found the monotype: https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/?s=monotype

I love it!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.