Help for a complete Cloud Newbie

Help for a complete Cloud Newbie

Forums Cloud Identification Help Help for a complete Cloud Newbie

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lisa Laberge avatarLisa Laberge
      Participant

I live in Vermont and was heading over Bromley Mountain, a local ski resort.  This was placed in my path and I grabbed a quick photo of it.  Can someone please tell me if this is an actual cloud?  I am a brand new cloud appreciator and haven’t read enough of the science yet about different types of clouds.  Or is this made by an airplane?  Thanks for your help.

IMG_9267

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Lisa, I am also a new cloud spotter. I did live in Vermont, fabulous state. You will find a wealth of information on the forums by very nice and knowledgeable people. Looking at my Cloud Selector it appears that you have seen Contrail which is man made clouds in the water of aircraft. I only know about five cloud types in my short time as a CAS member. Enjoy as much as I have.

Lisa Laberge avatarLisa Laberge
      Participant

Thanks so much, Ruth.  Well it’s a cool pattern even though it’s man made!  Appreciate your comment.

Steven strick avatarSteven strick

Looks like X marks the spot with these contrails….pretty cool photo.

Rob Thompson avatarRob Thompson
      Participant

I live in Australia (near Sydney) and contrails are not as common as in the Northern Hemisphere. Two reasons….a lot less planes and often dryer upper air which is less conducive to contrails.
      When I have been on international holidays I often get surprised by how many contrails there are.
      I guess with so many planes grounded now the skies everywhere are clearer of contrails!
      Rob

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.