HALOS AND RAINBOWS VOLUME II

HALOS AND RAINBOWS VOLUME II

Forums The Cloud Forum HALOS AND RAINBOWS VOLUME II

Viewing 85 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Let’s go on sharing optical phenomena as we did in Volume I. Volume I ended wit a joyful Halo Dance by Keelin and a parhelic circle by Michael. Check once more if you didn’t yet.

Today in the fringes of an upcoming front over here a UTA and suncave Parry arc appeared forming its characteristic roof above the sun.

IMG_3822 uitsnede ac sat2x (Large)

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

What a beautiful beginning to Volume II, Hans! And an upcoming front sounds definitely auspicious. I imagine you are already ready for it.

And indeed, the perfect parhelic Michael left us with on Volume I is worth a revisit with its lovely swirl of clouds above and below. Clearly a winner.

More thrills to come for certain now that we’re Launched!

IMG_7821_Launched!

Participant

The friendly figural at the right is clearly very happy to see those colors, Keelin. So am I.

Actual spottings on this thread are not always possible, so I had to go back to the archives.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0090 hmidmin cmidplus asr

Part of a 22 degrees halo

Participant

Love those subtle halo colors and the bright filaments of cloud in your image above, Hans. You cannot see me, but I’m right behind that friendly figural, applauding as well.

IMG_8163_SomewhereSomewhere

Participant

Somewhere …. over the rainbow .. Very nice Keelin.

Eric Shultz avatarEric Shultz
      Participant

Well done with Part I, now Part II seems off to a fine start. Two days ago, this sun dog caught my eye and I wanted to share it.Sundog over NM 12mar18

Participant

That’s a nice catch Eric. Thanks for sharing.

Participant

What a beautiful dog, Eric! I believe you’ve captured a very playful spirit there. And Hans, what a gorgeous corona posted on the Gallery yesterday. Congratulations! Most recently, this late afternoon 22˚ made my toes wiggle in delight.

IMG_8272_22˚with flair

The following day, an even bigger delight arrived in the form of announcement that Gavin will be coming to California (also Oregon and Colorado) for a series of talks! One venue is near enough that I’ll be able to attend and thank him in person for all he has done to bring us CAS and the forums that make toes wiggle worldwide.

Participant

It is nice to read, Keelin, that Gavin is on tour in your neighborhood (well almost in your neighborhood?). Great to  have the opportunity to meet the member with number one! He did a great job to establish the CAS. An enormous achievement considering the vast amount of amazing pictures in the gallery gathered from all over the world. A great source of inspiration for certain.

I am curious whether he would visit the low lands once, but I am afraid I have to visit England for an occasion. I certainly hope to read something about his visit later from you!

Participant

Thanks, Keelin; I’d been a bit dazzled by the spectrum in the feather boa; your 22 deg. is also pretty wonderful. Here’s one from Tuesday morning with a kind of busy background.

22 deg halo

Participant

You are quite right about the feather boa Eric. It is a beauty Keelin! I forgot to mention that in my former reply.

Participant

And Keelin is quite right about your corona photo posted in the Gallery, Hans. You captured a real ensemble performance!

Participant

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0013 klein

A nice way to end the day

Participant

Nice, indeed, Hans! And who knows what wonders tomorrow may bring? Perhaps something…

IMG_7809_UnexpectedUnexpected

Participant

IMG_8499_SundogSurfingSundog Surfing

Participant

Beautiful catch this surfing dog Keelin! Love it.

A few days ago I was almost certain where to find the pot of gold at last ….

2018-04-01 Charigny_0092 asr klein

Why only a rainbow in the sky?

Participant

And did you go spelunking down the chimney, Hans? The rainbow below was barely there and needed some contrast tweaking to show up at all. Oh those bows – sometimes as ethereal as that pot o’gold!

IMG_8323_Barely ThereBarely There

Participant

Like you I had to do it with ethereal Keelin. The material was already gone and all I got was charcoal all over. No that’s not true, I also have the pictures.

2018-04-01 Charigny_0096 sat1x klein

Participant

Here’s another one of the same series with a bit of extra saturation to emphasize the supernumeraries of the primary bow.

2018-04-01 Charigny_0106 sat2x klein

Participant

Those supernumeraries are fun to see in all their intense glory, Hans, so thank you for posting the enhanced version. And I had to laugh at the vision you offered of a charcoal dusting in your chase of treasure. No doubt many cloudspotters have endured similar fates tramping through muddy bogs and dusty plains in pursuit of the ever ethereal wonders above.

The image below is obviously tweaked with contrast and noise, but I like the otherworldly effect it delivers — like some kind of magical seascape. Wonders above, wonders below.

IMG_8773_WondersWonders

Participant

The noise works very well with this corona you captured Keelin. Wonders all over.

Next one is no halo or rainbow and even shows no clouds.

2018-04 Wolken_0114 klein

Setting Moon and Venus

Participant

A lovely Setting Moon and Venus, Hans. There’s a deep, quiet majesty in what you’ve captured there. Below, a halo with an illusory cloud that brings to mind different planet.

IMG_5741_22˚Saturn22˚ Saturn

Participant

Thanks Keelin and yes, the rings of Saturn! Nice comparison and nice cirrusscape with colorful halo you captured.

Next one is an old one I used in the B&W thread earlier. Here in blues and whites a part of the parhelic circle.

2017-07-15 Parhelic_0019 klc S klein

Participant

Like light itself adorned, Hans, that one is a beauty in blue and white as well as black and white. Thanks for sharing it here as well.

Below, a sundog on a mission.

IMG_8709_Sundog IcarusIcarus

Participant

I love this one with its clever title Keelin.

Here is a sundog rudely deprived of its colors.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0171 B&W an klein

Participant

And here is a faint 22 degrees halo that betrays its subtle colors after some rude enhancements.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0187 ns sat1x klein

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

An eccentric halo. It’s more like an egg, not even an ellipse. Perhaps a perspective effect?

https://whitelion07.deviantart.com/art/country-side-465531469

This fellow, Sabin Fota, has some nice night sky pictures. Sadly, he’s gone, died young, not even 40.

https://whitelion07.deviantart.com/gallery/

Participant

It’s egg like shape of the 22 degrees halo on the picture is a result of the bias of the wide angle objective used to take the picture George. Here is one of my own taken with 10 mm.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0226 c s10ho klein c

Participant

Nice catch, Hans, and thanks for the explanation. Now looking carefully at the picture, I wonder what’s on the little table at the bottom of the picture. :-)

Participant

I think you can guess George! Good times and also watching halos :-)

2016-03-09 Boog en bijzonnen_0013 klein

Some time ago walking the dog with a parhelic tail

Participant

A very colorful and bright part of a 22 degrees halo appeared over here a few day ago. At the right side one can see a faint split in two separate arcs: the 22 degrees halo and the circumscribed arc.

2018-05 Wolken_0154 extra contrast klein

Participant

Wow, Hans! Your halos above are especially spectacular. And a cleverly titled sundog too. Enhancing the image below turned a contrail into the blue spark of an accent mark.

IMG_8964_Blue SparkBlue Spark

Participant

It is the Big Wheel itself, Keelin. Sparkling!

A few days ago the parhelic payed me a visit.

2018-05 Wolken_0123-2

Participant

2018-05 Wolken_0176-2

From the series I took in march of a very colorful 22 degrees halo, here another one. At the right side one can see a faint split in two separate arcs: the 22 degrees halo and the circumscribed arc.

Participant

What a beauty, Hans!

IMG_8227_On The WIngOn The Wing

Participant

You captured very bright and distinct colors of the 22 degrees halo Keelin in your On The Wing. Love the composition and its colors.

Here is a 22 degrees halo hardly recognizable as such. I know it is a 22 degrees halo because of its relative position to the sun, but the picture would suggest some iridescence.

2018-06 Charigny_0216-2Delicate Appearance

Participant

2016-09 France_0021 uitsnede2 ns50-220 klein

Undulating Iridescence

Participant

Thank you, Hans. And wow! I love the subtly in Delicate Appearance. And Undulating Iridescence is pure joy to behold. Both images are highly appealing while tapping different emotions.

In the photo below, clouds were on the move, a blossoming tree danced in the breeze, and a halo came and went without a whisper.

IMG_5742_Blue Sky Red Blossoms

Participant

A picture like a poem Keelin.

it is like you say, these optical halos come and go with a whisper. Next one is a sundog that suddenly appeared in what seemed to be a bled part of he sky. The existence of faint almost invisible cirrostratus is betrayed by the sundog. Just for a moment ….. and then gone.

2018-06 Wolken_0104-2

Participant

2018-05 Wolken_0114-2

A detail of the parhelic circle

Participant

In the Nebraska Asperitas thread I read about the excitement of seeing a surprise in the sky. I had that experience two days ago seeing my first Circumhorizontal arc. It is a rare phenomenon over here for it is only two month in the year for just the midday hours that the sun is high enough to enable the appearance.

2018-06 Wolken_0350-3

Participant

It must be a great experience, Hans. What did you think the moment you saw it? Did you know right away or started wondering?

Do you happen to have a shot not zoomed in to see the context?

Participant

It was great George and I certainly have a wider view. I even saw it develop and also disappear within about three quarters of an hour. I intend to post one for the gallery, but that has to wait until the problems with the gallery are solved. There were some updates of the site this week but seemingly not sufficient yet to solve the problem. Meanwhile I can post some of the close ups on the forum. Some play with LR gives extra fun, but that is not meant for the gallery. To be continued.

Participant

All three of your most recent images here are beauties, Hans. And this last one must have set your toes all awiggle. It’s like a dance of joy and wonder reflected in visual form! Looking forward to seeing more from your series.

Participant

Thank you Keelin. And I forgot to answer a question from George. I was hunting and hoping for a CHA because I saw the conditions were there: high sun and some cirrus although not much and most of the time not drifting to the place were they might form an arc. Former years I had no success but now also the crystals were the right ones when they finally found the right place in the sky. Yes all toes awiggle:)

Participant

Hi Hans, looking forward to seeing that shot (or more than one) in the gallery.

BTW, How do pictures get into the gallery?

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Testing, testing – just had ERROR

Participant

Hans, you inspired me to look for this uncommon phenom, CHA. At 40 degrees of latitude, I have more chances than you, but still limited to a season. So I walked out around noon, scanned the sky and there it was. Very faint, I was not sure it would show in photos. Not spectacular, by any means, but still a spotting (my second). You have to look closely …

_DSC8891_e

_DSC8895_e

Participant

Congrats George for spotting a CHA already the second day you tried. It took some years for me. I can see them clearly and the arc is far more broad than I spotted. Beautiful.

You asked how to post a picture for the gallery. Click on Gallery of the main menu and you can choose between the ´Gallery´, ´Picture of The Month´ and ´How to submit a photo´. You will find an email address to send your picture to and some advise. Easy as that. I look forward for a picture by you on the Gallery!

2018-06 Wolken_0376-4

This were the last moments of my CHA where only the aqua and blue colors of the CHA were visible. One can see that it wasnt a large patch of cirrus in which the arc appeared. The colors were nevertheless amazing bright.

Participant

Oh Hans, I wish I only had to look two days for the CHA. I meat this is the second time I see one. The first on was last year and I didn’t know what it was. I think I posted it at that time, but here it is again. None compares with yours. Beautiful indigo.

CHA

Participant

Beautiful CHA George!

Concerning the colors, know that I did enhance the colors a little George. Sometimes I exaggerate for the effect of it, but now I tried to stay closest to what I saw. To me it seems the picture itself is always a rather blake copy of reality. In reality one can see the brilliance of the colors better and to meet reality the picture always needs some enhancements imho. The camera operates differently from our our own eyes and brains that correct in their own way for contrasts.

Participant

2015-05-02 Undulatus_0011-3
      One from the archive a bit reborn

Participant

George, the CHA you shared with us a couple of posts above is gorgeous! A well-deserved reward for keeping keen eyes on the skies.

And love those iridescent waves of wonder, Hans! So glad you dove into the archives for it.

The image below is from archives here as well. I wasn’t sure what to do with it initially, but now that we have a topic for halos and such…. If it fits the description of a Parhaelic Cirle, then it is my first sighting of one (!) and it brings a question about those little rays shooting off the outer edge of it. Anyone have an explanation for this?

IMG_9414_Parhelic CircleCircle Dance Of The Fairies?

Participant

Keelin, this does look like a parhelic circle. I think it is quite rare to see an arc so large, so congratulations! The dancing fairies, I think, are some thicker cirrus illuminated by the parhelic circle.

I do have an observation that includes a piece of a parhelic circle, though I was concentrated on the very bright sun dog.

IMG_4034

Participant

That is a really nice one George with a parhelic tail for sure!

Participant

Congrats on this one Keelin. This must be a parhelic. The arc is like drawn with a fine pencil in the cirrostratus. Whenever you doubt about it, be sure that the line of white light is at the same height as the sun making a circle with the zenith in the middle, passing through the sun and the two possible sundogs as well. That is only the rare case when the arc is complete, but also small segments sometimes show up in the cirrus recognizable by their relative brightness. Follow the imaginary line the arc must describe to confirm (or not). Check also Atoptics parhelic circle.

It is always a joy to capture one! It isn’t appearing that often.

Participant

Thank you, Hans. I have always felt a tingle of joy seeing such wonders posted by others on the forum. Now, having caught a parhelic circle above my own noggin here, the tingle goes all the way down to my toes.

And George, thank you as well. Your sundog with parhelic tale really captures that joyous feeling better than any words can describe.

Participant

Just two days ago the tingle was felt over here. Hereunder is an example of a short segment of the parhelic together with a segment of the 22 degrees halo. You can see that the sun was high at that moment (approaching midday approximately 55 degrees altitude) and the parhelic describes a circle around the zenith at just that altitude.

2018-07 Wolken_0112-3

Small segment of the parhelic arc in the cirrus right under

Participant

Thanks george. Over here being for so long under the influence of a anticyclone – giving lots of cirrus and cirrostratus and a bone dry nature – the weather seems to be favorable for parhelic circles. Epidemic I would say having spotted three appearances in less than two weeks. Yesterday I even captured a complete circle.

2018-07 Wolken_0216-2

I wish to think I can see the two 120 degrees parhelions and even the anthelion just opposite to the sun on the parhelic (although I am less sure about that one). Any opinions?

Participant

Here is what I shot today, another CHA. Just a bit enhanced.

_DSC0064_e

Participant

And combining astronomy and cloud/optical phenomena interest, here is a moon halo with Jupiter below and Zubengenubi a bit to the left of and below Jupiter, just barely visible.

_DSC9849_ce

Participant

You are so lucky to spot another CHA George. Very nice. The chance to spot a CHA over here is already diminished. Nice moon and corona. I didn’t find Zubengenubi, but I suppose you can blow up your original to spot it. Saw your video of IS passing by. Quite surrealistic this bright moving spot in the dark.

The next picture unveils the secret Newton did not know about how the moon is kept in its orbit.

2018-06 Wolken_0256-2

Participant

Mystery solved – and I am howling in delight. Love this image, Hans!

Participant

Hans, that moon shot is outstanding!

On this side, the CHA sightings  continued yesterday, thanks to lots of high clouds as a large storm approached. I have to give you credit again for starting this. A couple of shots below, obviously enhanced. In the second one, the effect is not very strong, but I like the whole chaotic sky.

_A000055_ce

_A000060_e

Participant

Thanks and …..  wow George, especially on the first picture you posted above the arc is really large. Great capture. And I share your appreciation of the chaotic cirrus filled sky.

Participant

2018-07 Wolken_0093-2

A contrail splitter with a part of the parhelic arc in its tail.

Participant

Oh my, Hans, this image is absolutely extraordinary! Fortunately, that par(heal?)ic arc is just what Paradise Bird will need to survive. Oh yes, I see it is happening already.

IMG_8587_Regenerating Tail FeathersRegenerating Tail Feathers

Participant

That are feathers to be proud of Keelin, most certainly in the case of a B&W paradise bird. Wonderful and very well captured iridescence! Love it.

Participant

I was very lucky to catch this rainbow over Mirror Lake in Lake Placid. (Picture slightly enhanced.)

IMG_1600_ce

Participant

Thank you, Keelin. Your iridescence shot is very nice too.

Participant

Lovely, George, a complete arc! And that would make TWO pots of gold, yes? You were at least twice as lucky as I’ve ever been to catch both ends of such a vivid rainbow. Still, I can’t complain when there’s a bit of iridescence to be found.

IMG_9761_iridescence_cropped

Participant

Nice iridescence and rainbow, Keelin and George.

The sky produced this smile for them!

2018-08 Charigny_0098-2

Participant

I took a walk through my archives and found a CZA and infralateral arc (most probably because it touches the CZA).

2015-10-13 Bogen_0001 s10 h10 sat 2x (Large)

Later also other arcs appeared….

Participant

Oops, I mean a supralateral arc…..

Participant

Somewhat later the CZA disappeared and the supralateral arc showed up at the right together with a colorful upper tangent arc.

2015-10-13 Bogen_0007 s19 h19 sat 2x klein

Participant

On third and last of this series the supralateral was vanished and only the bright upper tangent arc was seemingly the only one arc left.

2015-10-13 Bogen_0009 s19 h19 sat 1x klein

Seemingly because the b-r subtraction revealed also the presence of a suncave Parry arc and a part of the 22 degrees halo. Both invisible with the naked eye.

2015-10-13 Bogen_0009 subtract klein

Participant

Found this in EarthSky today:

A sun halo, sundogs and more

Almost unbelievable. A question I have is what are the two rainbow-like symetrical patches close to the edges (lower half)?

Participant

Indeed unbelievable. The two rainbow-like patches are the infralateral arc. You can check atoptics.

Participant

Besides atoptics one can also check the site meteoros.de: infralateral arc

The way you can simulate the effect of the height of the sun makes it very instructive. Fun to play with and very helpful in understanding where you can find what at any height of the sun.

Participant

Sun, moon and rainbow in the same shot. This is a “pano” of the New York Bay (of the Hudson River) from the southern tip of Manhattan. The rainbow is over Brooklyn and the sun is setting over New Jersey.

IMG_1762_ce2

You have to click on the picture to enlarge it to see the moon. It is high above the double wooden right piling.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant
      Participant

Nice pano George with two small segments of a redbow. I am sure kayaking is more safe on the hudson bay btw.

2018-09 Charigny_0279-1

Radio Corona On Air

Participant

2018-04-21 Charigny_0168 asr rot klein

Flipped Sundog

Participant

Flipping over your Flipped Sundog here, Hans. What a delicate beauty. Also, a long overdue compliment to you on your image featured in the Gallery last month (August 10th) – a stunning photo that included a parhelic circle, a segment of 22˚ halo, 120˚ parhelion plus contrails over Haarlem. I’m still looking for the socks that extraordinary shot knocked off. Wow!

Participant

Many thanks Keelin for kind words. It makes me truly sorry for your lost socks :)

Next one is from my series of my first and only observation of a CHA until now. I remember the appearance started with  – or rather in – this little patch of cirrus. The first signs of eh CHA were there, for it got illuminated more than usual. With a little help of LR the colors are also made more visible.

2018-06 Wolken_0269-3

Participant

Wonder-filled, Hans! It’s almost as if the sky was offering you a handful of magic. I can feel myself leaning forward waiting to see what will happen next.

Below, the top of this halo held me in place as well.

IMG_0601_halo

Participant

Very nice halo indeed Keelin.

Next picture shows what happened later on the same occasion when clouds had moved and changed. Obviously with a little help of Lightroom, but the colors were really there.

2018-06 Wolken_0373-2

What Happened Next

Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

We had a day recently when there was a full sun halo the entire day!! I was able to go around town and choose what to shoot in front of it!  These were taken at the Space and Rocket Center – home of Space Camp.  The rocket is an actual Saturn V that is on display at the museum.  The other is a solder sculpture.  I am giving the rights of the soldier one to a friend, so please do not share! I was so tired at the end of the day, but it was such an amazing experience!

Ramona

IMG_9625editaIMG_9493edita

Participant

So glad you waited to see What Happened Next, Hans! Such gorgeous colors and movement in the morphing CHA. Also been meaning to compliment you on your beautiful CZA in the Gallery (Oct 17th)!

And Ramona, I can only imagine how fun it must have been to have the right atmosphere hang in there all day as you chased halos across town. And to see the full circles of color. How wonderful is that?!

Below, a tiny sundog caught my eye one late afternoon.

IMG_1184_Afternoon SundogAfternoon Sundog

Participant

Thank you Keelin. And Romona, you must have had a fun day chasing the right places to picture this 22 degrees halo. I quote Keelin: how wonderful is that?

I once had the same opportunity and made a selfie with the halo behind. Some soldier! I don’t post it here for sure.

Very nice colorful Afternoon Sundog you captured Keelin. In a gentle composition. I spotted one yesterday and played a little with it.

2018-11 Wolken_0104-2

Waves Of Water Trying To Extinguish A Sundog

2018-11 Wolken_0105-2

But It Stays Alive Steaming

Participant

Not a rain rainbow, but the same phenom. This is at the big falls of the Passaic river in Paterson, New Jersey. The power of the water is incredible. Because the availability of this power, Paterson became in the early 1800s the first industrial city of North America. The falls are now part of the National Park System. If you ever visit New York City, this is well under one hour away.

The rainbow was actually 270 degrees, but I could not capture it in it’s entirety. Maybe I can stitch together the shots.

IMG_0914_ceR

IMG_0915

Participant

Very nice pictures George. But beware: looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when it is a full circle can make you crazy. I hope you can stitch the pictures, but as far as I now you have to use pictures taken with the same focal length to stitch them?

2018-04-21 Charigny_0315 s100h0c100 klein c

Participant

Nice iridescence, Hans. The white clouds on the left look like the foam breaking waves leave on the beach.

The first rainbow picture above is pano that I had to risize a lot to get it under 3MB. But I have others, all taken with an iphone, so same focal distance, but different exposure. It will not be a great piece of art work, but I hope it will give a sense of the scope. That is whenever I get some time to learn how to do that :-)

Participant

I see George. I am curious for the result of your puzzle.

Here under some play with a peculiar sundog that lights up and accentuates some wisps in the clouds that does not seem have further structure.

2018-10 Wolken_0053-3

Participant

Glad to see your sundog survived the waves, Hans. Did it lead you to the treasure in your next post? What a gem! And that “peculiar” puppy is an absolute show stopper.

George, I hope you can stitch your waterfall photos together. It would make quite a spectacular image.

IMG_1200_At Loose EndsAt Loose Ends

Viewing 85 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.