Fog & Mist – differences explained

Fog & Mist – differences explained

Forums The Cloud Forum Fog & Mist – differences explained

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Fog & mist are very apparent at this time of the year.

An interesting explanation regarding the differences between fog and mist appeared on the BBC’s Weather Watchers website today.  Here it is:-

“Haven’t the foggiest about all the different types? Dr Catherine Muller from The Royal Meteorological Society de-mist-ifies all for us.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weatherwatchers/article/39552193/i-tried-to-catch-the-fogbut-i-mist—fog-101

Laurence

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

LG, Thanks for the link. Its a interesting read that brings an opportunity to classify ” fog” for spotting purposes of course. I believe I’ve seen all the types. Yet it would be cool to have a appellation  attached to each experience possibly  as an aid in remembering the event. Motorcycling thru layers of valley fog is different than being awash in ” June Gloom” on a San Diego beach.

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Laurence, thanks for bringing up the subject. As I have some background in the matter I am happy to see the phenoms explained. But I do have a problem with one explanation, that of the valley fog. I saw a similar explanation in one of the “cloud of the day” mails not too long ago and tried to correct it. Here is what the BBC site says:

“It develops when cold dense air sinks and settles in lower parts of a valley,”

Actually, when the air sinks, it warms up (because the pressure increases), So that would not lead to condensation, but rather the opposite. The reason the fog forms is that the air that was already in the valley is shielded from the general air motion and cools in place as it radiates away its heat overnight. Water condenses and you get fog.

I looked up valley fog and found another site explaining the types of fog. Their explanation is closer to mine. It has nice pictures too.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/photos/7-types-fog-you-didnt-know-had-names/phenomenal-fog

Hopes nobody minds my being picky :-)

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Thanks, George, for getting back to me and the additional information you have usefully provided.  I will certainly follow up upon the links you kindly provided.

Be assured from me, you are not picky in any way.  That CAS members, like  you,  share information with each other is always to the good.

Thanks again.

Laurence

Participant

And incidentally, we’re having soupy weather after heavy rain. I would say this is mist. I adjusted the color a bit, the orange sodium lights made the whole sky look orange, so I felt like toning it down a bit. (The shaken camera is for artistic impression :-)

mist

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
        Participant

What a beautiful photo, George ~~ it beckons like a dream. Thank you for this and for the links to help see us through the fog of fog.

Participant

Thank you Keelin. You have so many beautiful pictures, it’s such a compliment to get this comment from you.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.