Field Guide?

Field Guide?

Forums Cloud Identification Help Field Guide?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      william woods avatarwilliam woods
      Participant

Hi All,

I have a request from a relative for your favorite field guide to cloud identification. He’s an old soul so an e-version doesn’t really fit the bill.  Anyone have anything they’d like to recommend?

Years ago I saw the cloud formation in the attached image whilst in Berkeley, CA. I raced home and checked out the weather satellite imagery and found that the formation stretched all the way to central Canada!  Was kind of humbling.JellyFishClouds

yours in wonder,
      Will

william woods avatarwilliam woods
      Participant

Ach! My bad. I see there is a pocket-sized field guide in The Shop.

-Bill

Deirdre Moore avatarDeirdre Moore
      Participant

Gavin Pretor-Pinney’s book, The Cloud Collector’s Handbook, is a great introduction and easily fits a large pocket. Highly recommended.

Deirdre.

Rob Thompson avatarRob Thompson
      Participant

When you get an unstable layer in the mid levels (10-15,000 feet) and a stabler layer lower the convection down low can be weak and cloudless but in spots breaks through to the unstable layer and whoosh, the warmer air goes up, sometimes forming clouds like this.

The line up of the clouds in this photo seems to indicate that there is a wave system and the convection is breaking through along the line of the crest of a wave.

Rob

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.