Dawn Clouds

Dawn Clouds

Forums The Cloud Forum Dawn Clouds

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

I don’t believe the sun had actually broke the horizon when I took these pictures, so the light was still soft. I shot these in B&W just to see what I would get. The surprise was the lower level undulatus contrasting itself well enough to be seen. Perhaps the higher contrast second picture shows the advance of the sunrise. Adobe Lightroom processing software also helped a lot but the image has to be in the usable range to start with. I believe I had the B&W programed for Orange filter effect, increasing the contrast of the image as well.

und

und

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

MikeL, you and AK put some of us sleepyheads to shame in your dawn forages for clouds. You seem to imply the undulatus was scarce visible to the naked eye?

This link by two astronomers says Stonehenge is falsely associated with Druids and the summer solstice dawn – in fact it was built for Sunset at the winter solstice and Druids only came on the scene 2000 years later:
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stargazing-in-june-from-the-summer-solstice-to-a-cosmic-embrace-10287995.html

The link also discusses Jupiter and Venus in their cosmic embrace 30 June – now didn’t a certain someone capture that last year?

Great stuff – many thanks MikeL.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Hello hygge..Well, the saying is..the early bird gets the worm..so it goes. The Light of early morning is a fun playground yet challenging because its short play period. Its not so much of a stretch for me tho, since my work hours have me up before sunrise anyway. I see the pre sunrise sky on the way to work thru out the year.

Yes, “Scarce to the eye” is true. First my eyes are aged. The first photo below from same shoot, indicates the physical challenge.More important than to my eyes..is ..to the camera’s electronic focusing eye,,or eyes. Digital camera needs contrast to focus.Fortunately DSLR’s have manual focus option. There is all sort of ways of ” tricking” that option and apparently I was successful. Most pics from that morning are amazing to me just because they ” held” focus. My weak eyes were only good for estimations, but my brain narrowed the possibilities to surprisingly acceptable.

Looking at these shots (above) on the computer at work , makes me want to say, Ihope viewers have high resolution screens. The pics at work looked soft. They really are sharp. Again, if possible, click and drag to your computer then enlarge them for some amazing detail.

btw..if I am correct and not missing something,,it seems we, I,,am limited to a 20 photograph album. So for every new foto I post, a previous foto has to go..A part of me likes the delicious nature of this play. So,if you see where fotos use to be, but are no longer, that is what is happening. I have all originals anyway.
      und

und

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

I mention AK above in the dawn context, and I am sure MikeL will not mind my highlighting this AK picture. It appears in the CAS 2015 Calendar as the January picture where it mentions AK’s dawn routine – but the dawn walk is not mentioned in the CAS Gallery caption:

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/photo-n-1534/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.