Contrail Thread Volume IV

Contrail Thread Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Contrail Thread Volume IV

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

As in former Volumes I want to start with bringing back in memory the Contrail Count Game. We are really stuck at number 17 and then I see this great capture on the gallery by Nienke Lantman.

Number #19

This one seems to have 19 (or maybe more?) contrails. The more contrails the more difficult it is to count them. I keep looking for new high numbers but I think it is too difficult to find each one consecutive. So everything higher than 17 must be a next step disregarding the consecutiveness. It will be difficult enough that way. No one did succeed to find a capture with a higher number until now, but Nienke Lantman finally did and posted it on the gallery. Very nice.

Volume III ended with a nice visit of mr. Crow to Arizona. Thank you Michael for ending Volume III this way. More to follow in Volume IV?

This one kicks off Volume IV.

2018-09 Wolken_0015-3

Dancing On The Top Of The Trees

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Wow, Hans, what a vibrant introduction to Contrails Volume IV! And Michael, your wrap-up to Volume III was absolutely amazing with a clever cloudy Crow appearing to contemplate Vortex Instability. What playful influence will the winds have this time?

IMG_0085_Into The Great UnknownInto The Great Unknown

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

The Crow instability are very weird to witness. I got another one but before that, I’m posting another favorite.

Arizona Contrail#50

jan0318b9906

Participant

Into The Great Unknown is such a challenging picture Keelin with already the presence of the playful influence of winds you look forward to. I see in The Great Unknown – in my own pareidolic way – this welcoming gesture of the cirrus cloud to all what yet has to come.

I also hope for more Cow from you Michael, but I can imagine Arizona Contrail #50 is a favorite of yours. Fine cirrocumulus with a hint of iridescence caught between two parallel lines of contrail make a great composition.

2018-07 Wolken_0017-2

Straight And Narrow

Participant

Michael, your Arizona Contrail #50 is a gem. Love the almost audible vibrations emanating from that gentle squeeze.

And Hans, Straight And Narrow it is! And with subtle shadow adding a fine dimensional effect. I like this one very much. Below is one that is perfectly horizontal only if one’s noggin is atilt.

IMG_0068_Mostly Straight Definitely NarrowMostly Straight Definitely Narrow

Participant

Mostly Straight for sure Keelin. Nice curly cirrus too! Next one isn’t straightforward.

2018-10 Wolken_0029-2
      Meandering And Not Even Narrow All The Way

Participant

2018-10 Wolken_0133-2

Some distant planes seem to cross a sundog.

Participant

Wow, Hans, that is a beauty!

Participant

Thank you Keelin. Here is another one I captured yesterday.

2018-11 Wolken_0023-2
      Dogt(r)ail

Participant

Wagging the tail of he Contrail Count Game? At the start of this volume, I mentioned the picture on the gallery by Nienke Lantman. I recounted the number of contrails on this picture and now I got 22 in stead of the 19 I thought there were. The last picture with the highest number posted in one of the first Volumes of the Contrail topics  was #17. It took some time to spot more contrails and – as I stated at the start of this Volume –  it turns out to be too difficult to proceed exactly with a step of 1 contrail more. So at last I captured a next step in the game.

2018-11 Wolken_0005-2

Contrail Count #26

Do you want to recount? Here is a edited version to help with a short line for each counted contrail.

2018-11 Wolken_0005 contrail 26 (Large)

Participant

Fantastic, Hans! The lines help to not lose the contrail count in such a crowdy sky. And 26 will be hard (maybe even impossible?) to beat.

Below, just one lonely trail quietly underscoring a faint Halo.

IMG_1379_Contrail & Halo

Participant

Nice capture Keelin. I should say this is the Lower Tangent Contrail :)

Here are two pics (really easy to count) taken on the same day on different times.

2018-11 Wolken_0054-3

A plane flying from left to right trying to catch up with its shadow.

2018-11 Wolken_0116-2

A plane flying from right to left trying to shake off his shadow.

Both didn’t succeed obviously.

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

DHatfield_42854

Unable to beat Hans’ 26 contrails –
      I submit a mere 10, perhaps appropriate for the season
      (actually spotted 6 months ago)

-Don

Participant

Can’t beat that one Don! It is not only the numbers that count.

I wonder how the star was made. Do you have any idea? The plane (or any other flying thing) must have been small I think, to make such a pattern with sharp angles. I’d love to know more about it.

Hans

Participant

To George – Yes, that’s where I spotted this. However, the timing coincided (more or less) with our Independence Day celebrations.

To Hans – As the 1806 nursery rhyme says : “Twinkle twinkle little star, How I wonder what you are”
      In other words, I have no clue. I never saw a biplane, blimp, giant hand, or anything else. No noise, no other contrails, Just the Dallas typical BBS (Boring Blue Skies).

Participant

Yes Don, I wondered about your little star. At the moment the best guess I have is that the star is the result of some skywriting. I’d love to reply with a picture but there is some glitch preventing me to do so. Only the tablet does not seem to suffer from this glitch but that’s not the place where I keep my archive. I know they are working hard to solve it, so I will be patient.

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

On the mysterious star subject, google “skywriting” and click images to see possibilities. I did not see a star, like Don’s, but I have seen other pretty complicated designs.

Participant

Hans – There’s a lot of threads in this CAS Forum, with your name and photos plastered all over them. If this skywriting photo is only half as good as the others of yours that I have seen, then it will definitely be worth waiting for. Not only your photos, but also your commentary, have re-inspired me. This is not to say that Keelin, George, Michael, Laurence, and all the others who have made this so much richer.

Thanks to you all!

Participant

Thank you too Don, for kind words. This forum is the place to exchange also some thoughts or comments and that makes it the more interesting and lively I think. So welcome again Don!

And now I am happy today to see that I am able again to post pictures so I did not have to wait very long to “pick up the threads”.

From the archives a B&W close up from what started as contrail.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0114 asr klein B&W an sch11

Participant

WOW!!, Hans! That is one spectacular contrail turned bridal veil. What a fantastic transformation.

And I couldn’t agree more about the CAS forum. The opportunity to share images and ideas here is such a gift (Thank you, Gavin!). It continues to amaze, amuse, inspire and delight on a daily basis. My gratitude to all here is bigger than the sky.

Participant

Excellent artwork, Hans, Well worth the (fortunately short) wait. What grabs me is that the photo is both hard and soft at the same time. As Keelin says – a veil.

Participant

Thank you both!. And I like to emphasize again what Don and Keelin said about this site: it is so much fun and inspiring to exchange pictures and thoughts on this forum. It is now “only” two years ago Michael grandfather of abstract B&W’s started the Black and White Thread and now there are several threads for about five or more extra specific themes. Let’s go on amazing each other.

2018-06 Wolken_0059-2

Shadow On The Wall

Participant

2018-12 Wolken_0056-2

On The Flying Trapeze

Participant

Hans, Shadow On The Wall is simply extraordinary — every aspect of it. And you’ve followed this with another electric shot of CVI and clever title in On The Flying Trapeze. As usual, I begin to smile when I read your titles in the email messages before clicking on the links. The anticipation of knowing the images will be remarkable is part of the joy. Astonishing, I think, how does he do it?

IMG_2158_The Great Depths Of WonderThe Great Depths Of Wonder

Participant

Thank you very much Keelin for kind compliments. It is really nice to read you enjoy my silly thoughts. And please know your replies are also a joy to me. The Great Depth Of Wonder is an example of beauty and simplicity. Less is so much more!

2018-12 Wolken_0059-2

Dots And Lines

Participant

2019-01 Wolken_0032-2

Corkshrew

Participant

A distrail is the opposite of a contrail, still I thought this is the best thread to post this. I was taking a time lapse of clouds passing in front of the moon, when this happened. The time lapse is too fast, so I had to create a slowed down version. That slowed down version is not much faster than real time. Interesting how quickly these things happen.

Participant

That was quite a great occasion to catch this in your time lapse in moonlight George. Thanks for sharing!

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0518 B&W ns88-220 klein

I the tree going to be pruned?

Participant

At the end of last year I spotted these two fallstreak holes of which one is a long distrail.

2018-11 Wolken_0015-3

The Dutch word for fallstreak hole is “pilotengat”, that is one to one in English: a “pilote hole”.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Needed F5 in Windows 10 again to get here.DSC_0067

Plain trailing

Participant

Fantastic trailings above. And love the “Corkshrew” title, Hans. Indeed, so much can happen when too many corks go flying.

Recently, on a late afternoon walk, I spotted a little dog on a trail.

IMG_2941_Dog On A Trail

Participant

Walking the dog, that is always rewarding Keelin. Very nice. The trail looks like one stroke of the victory Boogy Woogy by Mondriaan. I hope you go well in the meantime.

2018-10 Wolken_0071-2

Four Of Them

Participant

Terrific trails above, Hans!

Hanging By A ThreadHanging By A Thread

Participant

IMG_4411_Linear ThinkingLinear Thinking

Participant

For too long no contrails. That´s no good. I love Hanging By A  Thread Keelin. Very funny and creative. And Linear Thinking is ingenious. Great to see them both again and it helps me to remind the fun of this thread for sure.

2019-06 Charigny_0134-2

Faster Than Its Shadow?

Participant

Ha! Hans, you had to be quick to have caught Faster Than Its Shadow! A dramatic composition with the cirrus audience watching the race.

Below, a contrail must have taken a moment to make sure this T was perfectly crossed. While I’ve only recently begun to capture alphabet clouds, I suspect other cloudspotters may have seen A-Z hovering above their noggins.

IMG_4639_Italic TIced Italic T

Participant

Love the dripping of the paint from the upper cross beam Keelin. With your T (almost a cross?) you drew my attention to the alphabet. I did not look at contrail this way yet, but it looks like a challenge to find them all from A to Z.

2019-07 Wolken_0004-2

A Poor Attempt To A Wye

Participant

A clever and very discernible Y, Hans! Contrail with CVI could make a unique and fun type font. This A seems almost too basic. IMG_4713_Easy AEasy A

Participant

Well I am sure it is not as easy as you suggest to find a good A like this Keelin.

Here is one I spotted for its shadow. First with 70 mm.

2019-07 Wolken_0057-2

Daigonal I

Somewhat later I spooted the same part of the sky with 28 mm.  The diagonal has grown fat.

2019-07 Wolken_0060-2

Diagonal II

Participant

A splendid example of what a little time can do to homogenitus, Hans. And I suppose a Homo sapien could suffer the same fate by too much sitting around. “A point well taken”, says the fellow below who, if the rest of the cloud were to be revealed, might show him on the run.

IMG_3708_Point Well Taken

Point Well Taken

Participant

Ha, Keelin that is an imaginative and funny Point Well Taken. The beaming contrail might have caused a serious headache for this fellow.

2018-01 Luchten_0142 asr klein
      He Just Left Some Dust Clouds

Participant

All these pictures, Keelin and Hans, are incredible. I wish I could take some like that.

Nevertheless, this one from Earth and Sky caught my eye. Can’t help but also notice that the lobes point up.

https://en.es-static.us/upl/gravity_forms/6-d184048789a60d766a02a8e43117298b/2019/08/Angle-Choir.jpg

Hope the link works, please let me know if it does not.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa. Reason: link does not work as expected
      Participant

Thanks George. Yes the links works and it is a remarkable contrail. I can’t help to think that “up” is a matter of perspective. Nevertheless a beautiful combination of lobes and fibratus, all being homogenitus.

2019-07 Wolken_0052-2

Eating With Chopsticks

Participant

Thanks for kind words, George, and for the link to a beautiful contrail! And Hans, I knew from the title (read first in email) that the photo you posted would give me a giggle.

IMG_4891_This One Was WigglyThis One Was Wiggly

Participant

2018-01 Luchten_0166 B&W ns119-190 klein

How Wiggly Can It Be

Participant

I do fear for the fate of this plane.

2019-10 Wolken (10)-2Plain Danger

Participant

Love that Wiggly loop in your image above the above, Hans. As for the one immediately above, what a timely capture!

In the image below (unfortunately quite grainy due to far distance), I liked the way the cloud seemed to curl over and press gently upon the jet trail. I suppose it’s one way to make an impression.

IMG_4893_Curled CloudCurled Cloud

Participant

Sorry for the late reply. For too long no contrail. Yes Keelin, I see the cloud is making an impression at least on me. To me it seems a hummingbird (on the wire?).

2019-12 Wolken (10)-2

Birds Of A Feather Flock Together

Contrail seen above SeaTac Int’l Airport

AirTransatA330-2AirTransata330

Participant

A warm welcome, Donatella, to the cool Contrail topics Volume IV! Isn’t it fascinating how some homogenitus can hold their original form while others morph or contort in only moments? Thank you for the clear reminder of how they usually begin, before wild winds have their whimsical way with them.

Just yesterday, a single dissolving contrail caught my eye simply because the shape looked interesting. When I downloaded the photo onto my computer, curiosity got the best of me and I played around with it a bit in PhotoShop (rotation/contrast/slight color adjustment). The resulting image below is more an artistic interpretation than what we usually post here, but I offer it as an example of how clouds, even in their simplest of forms, can inspire creativity and wonder. While the original contrail has been maintained, the image now brings to mind an icicle in the Land of Aurora Borealis (thanks to a bit of lens flare caught by the camera) and represents a dream of something I hope to see in reality someday.

IMG_6025_Icicle [Contrail Inspired Art]

Participant

Welcome Donatella. It is like Keelin wrote. They begin as straight lines but develop in wild ways and even in hallucinating dreams like the last one by Keelin.

2019-12 Wolken (46)-2

The Winds Give It A Twist

Catherine Morris avatarCatherine Morris
      Participant

I love viewing this forum. Last night in the market parking lot I pulled into a space facing this sunset streaked with contrails and it reminded me of a game called “pick up sticks” that we played as children.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 6.48.37 AM

Participant

Nice “pick up sticks” association Catherine. Is it the same as Mikado? That is the name of the game we use in Holland.

2019-12 Wolken (23)-3
      Clouds That Look Like Nothing At All

Catherine Morris avatarCatherine Morris
      Participant

Hans, yes. Looks like the games are similar.

Clouds that Look Like Nothing At All – or hieroglyphs of the sky ?

2362b3cd9566474c3430c5db3b4ea3a6b8c2bc3d_2_663x600c4623e85638b307a854f763b784bf69bac7cef85_2_682x6001bdf072ebb8a1662614b22d55dbc8fb3af34d9b5
      2 Airbus A380-800s Cruising and an A321 with beautiful fresh contrails.

Participant

You spotted them really close Donatella. My favorite is the first one crossing an older and higher trail. Great contrast.

2020-01 Wolken (13)-2

More Hieroglyphs

Participant

2019-07 Wolken_0017-2

Stroboscopic Contrail

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello everyone!!

Here’s my first post on the contrast thread and I want to know how many you see.IMG_20200312_172253018_HDR

Steven strick avatarSteven strick

Morning sunrise in Idaho.20180209_080646

Participant

Great contrails Gregory and Steven. Hope to see more of you both on this thread. Contrails weren’t my favorites from the beginning but once they got my attention I also got surprised by the variaty and great spectacle they can offer.
      Gregory you asked how many we see. I count 4 of them. Right? Did you both notice the contrail count game I mentioned at the start of this volume? Just scroll through this Volume from the start and find out where we are at now. It is a fun challenge to capture more!

This one was made with the cloudspotter app.

IMG_2865

Just Nearby An Airport And Very Dutch

This one is in Idaho, near Boise. I count about 11.20200228_094703

Participant

A fine display of linear lovelies above. Below, just one…

IMG_5999_Harebrained IdeaHarebrained Idea

Participant

Steven captured 11 contrails. Very nice and some of them so accurately straight they seemed to be drawn along a ruler. Harebrained Idea can’t be more different.  I like its mad wildness Keelin.

2020-04 Wolken (48)-1

Do We Have To Worry?

Participant

Arizona Contrail#51

mar0419A2795Contr

Participant

I’ve been watching lots of old movies these last few weeks. Including Star Wars

jedi 1

Participant

A graet B&W Arizona Contrail # 51 Michael. And have you seen enough old movies now Don? Also good times – so to speak – for Netflix?

2020-05 Wolken (48)-1

Was Mondriaan A Pilot?

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

P1040002 (2)Contrail count just two. I like the mountain range at the bottom.

Jocelyn Northey avatarJocelyn Northey
      Participant

Great images Michael, Don, Hans and Ruth. No chance of contrails here until the travel restrictions ease. Even then we only average about 3 per week. The dis/advantages of living in a remote location

Participant

Fun to see these new skylines here!

And pilot or non, Hans, I can imagine Mondrian being inspired by seeing a couple of such streaks crossing a big blue canvas of sky. While the image below holds only a single, rather distorted contrail, it reminds me of one you posted to the Clouds-That-Look-Like-Things topic (Dec 20, 2018) with a grateful nod to René. Merci encore, Monsieur Magritte.

IMG_5566_Ceci n'est-pas non plus une pipeCeci n’est pas non plus une pipe

Participant

Arizona Contrail#52

dec0319b7248ConTra

Jocelyn Northey avatarJocelyn Northey
      Participant

Wow Michael, what a wonderful capture. One of the very best images I have seen.

Here’s one over Coeur D’Alene in northern Idaho looking east. I see 4 off to the right and 4-5 to the left that are dissipating. These planes are probably coming out of Seattle to the west.

20200528_120157

Participant

Quite a busy sky already Steven. Over here there are much less contrails than before the corona crisis.

2020-04 Wolken (37)-1

Dashed Line

Participant

P1040509 (2)Parallel streaks of 5

Participant

Very nice Ruth, these 5 parallel lines. I know they have been rare lately but I assume they will re-enter the sky dominantly soon….. unfortunately maybe? … but on the other hand they can offer surprising views.

2020-05 Wolken (25)-1

Just One

Participant

P1050501 (2)No Doubt A Contrail

Participant

’Tis fun to see such great variation in these streaks across the sky. Sometimes it appears that all it takes is a single thread to keep a cloud from wandering off.

IMG_4253_A Single ThreadMinimally Tethered

Participant

Great capture Keelin. I may be not really fond of contrails in general but when they don’t disturb a nice cloudscape I agree with you about their variation. Then they add their own enchantment to the sky. When the Crow started the first thread with contrails I could not imagine the fun with them yet. Now I do and your Minimally Tethered is a marvelous example.

2018-01 Luchten_0184 asr ac klein

A Kite?

Participant

P1050487 (2)Hans, I really enjoyed your Gallery and Cloud of the Day. I am thinking your kite could be a Bat.

Sword Eater

Participant

Thank you Ruth for kind words. And yes my kite could be a bat. It is funny that I considered it to name it that way, but finally chose Kite. Love you Sword Eater.

2020-07 Charigny (107)-1

Hello mate, I started that way too!

Participant

Under the RadarP1040741 (2)

Participant

Magic WandP1060153 (2)

Participant

Nice Magic Wand Ruth. That one isn’t under the radar.

2020-09 Ch Wolken (92)-1

Caterpillar

Participant

Hans,  may be even prehistoric.  Great dimensions in your caterpillar.

P1060482 (2)

It’s a Bird, no it’s a Plane ( contrail ), no it’s Superman!

Participant

P1060559 (2)Night Life

Participant

P1060583 (2)Quick Flyby

Participant

P1060802 (2)Me And My Shadow

Participant

DSC_7202 (wecompress.com)

My friends! I am back! And with a good shot too. I was watching in an incoming front and saw that a plane had just flown through a cloud and left a nice streak. Hans your last two photos are wonderful, especially the one comparing an old trail to a new one. And Ruth, your last set of photos were spectacular a brought light to my day. Hope you enjoy!

Participant

Beauty of a contrail Gregory.P1060946 (2)Just Stay On The Marked Trail And You Will Not Get Lost

Participant

That is a great distrail you captured in this soft pink altocumulus Gregory. Love it. And with the one Ruth posted above we will not get lost. Great title Ruth. Very funny and I love it too.

2020-11 Wolken (141)-1

Like A Bouquet

Participant

Way cool Bouquet Hans.  I am finding contrails to be quite fun to capture.P1060808 (2)Skipped A Beat.

Participant

P1060805 (2)Take The A-Train

Participant

Hans, your tattered contrail is indeed very interesting, and Ruth, both of your pictures are very peaceful and calm.

DSC_8708 (wecompress.com)

Broken

Participant

P1060942 (2)Cross Cut Saw

Participant

Indeed yours does look like a saw Ruth! It looks a bit deadly if you ask me.DSC_8730 (wecompress.com)

DSC_8729 (wecompress.com)I must say, that’s quite a display!

Participant

Gregory, you found an exciting sky.P1060939 (2)Hoping This Plane Isn’t Lost

Participant

It seems like you captured quite the variety Ruth! Old and new mixed in with each other. Here’s an interesting image, can you spot the contrails?

DSC_8746 (wecompress.com)

Blending in.

Participant

You produced some great contrail spottings Gregory and Ruth. I especially love the trio ‘Skipped A Beat’, ‘Take The A Train’ and ‘Cross Cut Saw’ by Ruth. Very funny too.

Here is my former Bouquet somewhat later.

2020-11 Wolken (142)-1

Smoke Signal

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.