You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Contrail Thread Volume IV

Contrail Thread Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Contrail Thread Volume IV

This topic contains 46 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Hans Stocker Hans Stocker 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author
    Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

As in former Volumes I want to start with bringing back in memory the Contrail Count Game. We are really stuck at number 17 and then I see this great capture on the gallery by Nienke Lantman.

Number #19

This one seems to have 19 (or maybe more?) contrails. The more contrails the more difficult it is to count them. I keep looking for new high numbers but I think it is too difficult to find each one consecutive. So everything higher than 17 must be a next step disregarding the consecutiveness. It will be difficult enough that way. No one did succeed to find a capture with a higher number until now, but Nienke Lantman finally did and posted it on the gallery. Very nice.

Volume III ended with a nice visit of mr. Crow to Arizona. Thank you Michael for ending Volume III this way. More to follow in Volume IV?

This one kicks off Volume IV.

2018-09 Wolken_0015-3

Dancing On The Top Of The Trees

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Wow, Hans, what a vibrant introduction to Contrails Volume IV! And Michael, your wrap-up to Volume III was absolutely amazing with a clever cloudy Crow appearing to contemplate Vortex Instability. What playful influence will the winds have this time?

IMG_0085_Into The Great UnknownInto The Great Unknown

Michael
    Michael
    Participant

The Crow instability are very weird to witness. I got another one but before that, I’m posting another favorite.

Arizona Contrail#50

jan0318b9906

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Into The Great Unknown is such a challenging picture Keelin with already the presence of the playful influence of winds you look forward to. I see in The Great Unknown – in my own pareidolic way – this welcoming gesture of the cirrus cloud to all what yet has to come.

I also hope for more Cow from you Michael, but I can imagine Arizona Contrail #50 is a favorite of yours. Fine cirrocumulus with a hint of iridescence caught between two parallel lines of contrail make a great composition.

2018-07 Wolken_0017-2

Straight And Narrow

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Michael, your Arizona Contrail #50 is a gem. Love the almost audible vibrations emanating from that gentle squeeze.

And Hans, Straight And Narrow it is! And with subtle shadow adding a fine dimensional effect. I like this one very much. Below is one that is perfectly horizontal only if one’s noggin is atilt.

IMG_0068_Mostly Straight Definitely NarrowMostly Straight Definitely Narrow

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Mostly Straight for sure Keelin. Nice curly cirrus too! Next one isn’t straightforward.

2018-10 Wolken_0029-2
    Meandering And Not Even Narrow All The Way

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

2018-10 Wolken_0133-2

Some distant planes seem to cross a sundog.

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Wow, Hans, that is a beauty!

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thank you Keelin. Here is another one I captured yesterday.

2018-11 Wolken_0023-2
    Dogt(r)ail

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Wagging the tail of he Contrail Count Game? At the start of this volume, I mentioned the picture on the gallery by Nienke Lantman. I recounted the number of contrails on this picture and now I got 22 in stead of the 19 I thought there were. The last picture with the highest number posted in one of the first Volumes of the Contrail topics  was #17. It took some time to spot more contrails and – as I stated at the start of this Volume –  it turns out to be too difficult to proceed exactly with a step of 1 contrail more. So at last I captured a next step in the game.

2018-11 Wolken_0005-2

Contrail Count #26

Do you want to recount? Here is a edited version to help with a short line for each counted contrail.

2018-11 Wolken_0005 contrail 26 (Large)

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Fantastic, Hans! The lines help to not lose the contrail count in such a crowdy sky. And 26 will be hard (maybe even impossible?) to beat.

Below, just one lonely trail quietly underscoring a faint Halo.

IMG_1379_Contrail & Halo

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Nice capture Keelin. I should say this is the Lower Tangent Contrail :)

Here are two pics (really easy to count) taken on the same day on different times.

2018-11 Wolken_0054-3

A plane flying from left to right trying to catch up with its shadow.

2018-11 Wolken_0116-2

A plane flying from right to left trying to shake off his shadow.

Both didn’t succeed obviously.

Don
    Don
    Participant

DHatfield_42854

Unable to beat Hans’ 26 contrails –
    I submit a mere 10, perhaps appropriate for the season
    (actually spotted 6 months ago)

-Don

George
      George
      Participant

Texas, right? The lone star state.

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Can’t beat that one Don! It is not only the numbers that count.

I wonder how the star was made. Do you have any idea? The plane (or any other flying thing) must have been small I think, to make such a pattern with sharp angles. I’d love to know more about it.

Hans

Don
    Don
    Participant

To George – Yes, that’s where I spotted this. However, the timing coincided (more or less) with our Independence Day celebrations.

To Hans – As the 1806 nursery rhyme says : “Twinkle twinkle little star, How I wonder what you are”
    In other words, I have no clue. I never saw a biplane, blimp, giant hand, or anything else. No noise, no other contrails, Just the Dallas typical BBS (Boring Blue Skies).

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Yes Don, I wondered about your little star. At the moment the best guess I have is that the star is the result of some skywriting. I’d love to reply with a picture but there is some glitch preventing me to do so. Only the tablet does not seem to suffer from this glitch but that’s not the place where I keep my archive. I know they are working hard to solve it, so I will be patient.

George
      George
      Participant

On the mysterious star subject, google “skywriting” and click images to see possibilities. I did not see a star, like Don’s, but I have seen other pretty complicated designs.

Don
    Don
    Participant

Hans – There’s a lot of threads in this CAS Forum, with your name and photos plastered all over them. If this skywriting photo is only half as good as the others of yours that I have seen, then it will definitely be worth waiting for. Not only your photos, but also your commentary, have re-inspired me. This is not to say that Keelin, George, Michael, Laurence, and all the others who have made this so much richer.

Thanks to you all!

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thank you too Don, for kind words. This forum is the place to exchange also some thoughts or comments and that makes it the more interesting and lively I think. So welcome again Don!

And now I am happy today to see that I am able again to post pictures so I did not have to wait very long to “pick up the threads”.

From the archives a B&W close up from what started as contrail.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0114 asr klein B&W an sch11

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

WOW!!, Hans! That is one spectacular contrail turned bridal veil. What a fantastic transformation.

And I couldn’t agree more about the CAS forum. The opportunity to share images and ideas here is such a gift (Thank you, Gavin!). It continues to amaze, amuse, inspire and delight on a daily basis. My gratitude to all here is bigger than the sky.

Don
    Don
    Participant

Excellent artwork, Hans, Well worth the (fortunately short) wait. What grabs me is that the photo is both hard and soft at the same time. As Keelin says – a veil.

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thank you both!. And I like to emphasize again what Don and Keelin said about this site: it is so much fun and inspiring to exchange pictures and thoughts on this forum. It is now “only” two years ago Michael grandfather of abstract B&W’s started the Black and White Thread and now there are several threads for about five or more extra specific themes. Let’s go on amazing each other.

2018-06 Wolken_0059-2

Shadow On The Wall

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

2018-12 Wolken_0056-2

On The Flying Trapeze

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Hans, Shadow On The Wall is simply extraordinary — every aspect of it. And you’ve followed this with another electric shot of CVI and clever title in On The Flying Trapeze. As usual, I begin to smile when I read your titles in the email messages before clicking on the links. The anticipation of knowing the images will be remarkable is part of the joy. Astonishing, I think, how does he do it?

IMG_2158_The Great Depths Of WonderThe Great Depths Of Wonder

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thank you very much Keelin for kind compliments. It is really nice to read you enjoy my silly thoughts. And please know your replies are also a joy to me. The Great Depth Of Wonder is an example of beauty and simplicity. Less is so much more!

2018-12 Wolken_0059-2

Dots And Lines

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

2019-01 Wolken_0032-2

Corkshrew

George
    George
    Participant

A distrail is the opposite of a contrail, still I thought this is the best thread to post this. I was taking a time lapse of clouds passing in front of the moon, when this happened. The time lapse is too fast, so I had to create a slowed down version. That slowed down version is not much faster than real time. Interesting how quickly these things happen.

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

That was quite a great occasion to catch this in your time lapse in moonlight George. Thanks for sharing!

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0518 B&W ns88-220 klein

I the tree going to be pruned?

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

At the end of last year I spotted these two fallstreak holes of which one is a long distrail.

2018-11 Wolken_0015-3

The Dutch word for fallstreak hole is “pilotengat”, that is one to one in English: a “pilote hole”.

hygge
    Participant

Needed F5 in Windows 10 again to get here.DSC_0067

Plain trailing

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Fantastic trailings above. And love the “Corkshrew” title, Hans. Indeed, so much can happen when too many corks go flying.

Recently, on a late afternoon walk, I spotted a little dog on a trail.

IMG_2941_Dog On A Trail

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Walking the dog, that is always rewarding Keelin. Very nice. The trail looks like one stroke of the victory Boogy Woogy by Mondriaan. I hope you go well in the meantime.

2018-10 Wolken_0071-2

Four Of Them

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Terrific trails above, Hans!

Hanging By A ThreadHanging By A Thread

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

IMG_4411_Linear ThinkingLinear Thinking

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

For too long no contrails. That´s no good. I love Hanging By A  Thread Keelin. Very funny and creative. And Linear Thinking is ingenious. Great to see them both again and it helps me to remind the fun of this thread for sure.

2019-06 Charigny_0134-2

Faster Than Its Shadow?

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Ha! Hans, you had to be quick to have caught Faster Than Its Shadow! A dramatic composition with the cirrus audience watching the race.

Below, a contrail must have taken a moment to make sure this T was perfectly crossed. While I’ve only recently begun to capture alphabet clouds, I suspect other cloudspotters may have seen A-Z hovering above their noggins.

IMG_4639_Italic TIced Italic T

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Love the dripping of the paint from the upper cross beam Keelin. With your T (almost a cross?) you drew my attention to the alphabet. I did not look at contrail this way yet, but it looks like a challenge to find them all from A to Z.

2019-07 Wolken_0004-2

A Poor Attempt To A Wye

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

A clever and very discernible Y, Hans! Contrail with CVI could make a unique and fun type font. This A seems almost too basic. IMG_4713_Easy AEasy A

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Well I am sure it is not as easy as you suggest to find a good A like this Keelin.

Here is one I spotted for its shadow. First with 70 mm.

2019-07 Wolken_0057-2

Daigonal I

Somewhat later I spooted the same part of the sky with 28 mm.  The diagonal has grown fat.

2019-07 Wolken_0060-2

Diagonal II

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

A splendid example of what a little time can do to homogenitus, Hans. And I suppose a Homo sapien could suffer the same fate by too much sitting around. “A point well taken”, says the fellow below who, if the rest of the cloud were to be revealed, might show him on the run.

IMG_3708_Point Well Taken

Point Well Taken

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Ha, Keelin that is an imaginative and funny Point Well Taken. The beaming contrail might have caused a serious headache for this fellow.

2018-01 Luchten_0142 asr klein
    He Just Left Some Dust Clouds

George
    George
    Participant

All these pictures, Keelin and Hans, are incredible. I wish I could take some like that.

Nevertheless, this one from Earth and Sky caught my eye. Can’t help but also notice that the lobes point up.

https://en.es-static.us/upl/gravity_forms/6-d184048789a60d766a02a8e43117298b/2019/08/Angle-Choir.jpg

Hope the link works, please let me know if it does not.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by George George. Reason: link does not work as expected
    Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thanks George. Yes the links works and it is a remarkable contrail. I can’t help to think that “up” is a matter of perspective. Nevertheless a beautiful combination of lobes and fibratus, all being homogenitus.

2019-07 Wolken_0052-2

Eating With Chopsticks

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Thanks for kind words, George, and for the link to a beautiful contrail! And Hans, I knew from the title (read first in email) that the photo you posted would give me a giggle.

IMG_4891_This One Was WigglyThis One Was Wiggly

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

2018-01 Luchten_0166 B&W ns119-190 klein

How Wiggly Can It Be

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.