Contrail Thread Volume 1

Contrail Thread Volume 1

Forums The Cloud Forum Contrail Thread Volume 1

Viewing 81 reply threads
  • Author
      Alec Jones avatarAlec Jones
      Participant

Sun Machine

We scanned the skies with rainbow eyes and saw machines of every shape and size
      We talked with tall Venusians passing through
      And Peter tried to climb aboard but the Captain shook his head
      And away they soared
      Climbing through
      The ivory vibrant cloud
      Someone passed some bliss among the crowd
      And we walked back to the road, unchained.

David Bowie, Memory of a Free Festival

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Great abstracts in B&W en W&B Alec to start with accompanied by Bowie. A festival indeed. Perfect symmetry.

WI wonder what you captured there. I thought about reflections in the lens but they don’t show this kind of regular rings as far as know. Very peculiar.

On the gallery I noticed the snake-picture which reminded me of this one.

2016-11 Wolken_0001 c klein

Alcohol Problem?

Participant

Psychotropic lens flare. The effect was first observed by the illustrious Dr. Corvidova during his ground breaking but ultimately ill fated 1971 expedition to the jungles of Belize to investigate the hidden remains of a previously unrecorded Mayan temple complex. As a gesture of goodwill, the local tribesmen invited him to share a pipe containing the dried dung of the sacred Golden Death beetle. As he later noted in the expedition journal, the mind expanding properties of the Beetle had a subtle yet profound effect on the lens geometry and architecture of the Nikon F2 Photomics they were using to document their investigation. Psychotropic lens flare was only one of its notable effects. A single hand written copy of the journal was later deposited at the Smithsonian but because of the nature of the discoveries contained therein and the mysterious circumstances in which the expedition ended, there is an embargo of a 100 years before interested researchers will be able to know the the full, astounding truth.

Participant

Thanks for this very clear answer Alec.

It is so sad to read about the unfortunate and mysteriously ended quest of Dr. Corvidova . The world seems to be bereft of a brilliant mind. Nevertheless many theories can be heard when one knows whom to listen to. There is this hand written copy of the journal together with the denial of alien interference by official sources. What is at stake that needs to be covered up? And then there are the mysterious conditions of his disappearance. Some sources suggest he deliberately vanished to conceal his search to gather details for a writing of an Above Top Secret position/briefing paper about chimtrails.  Not one single official source is willing to confirm anything like that. Another unfortunate disappearance? Who knows more? The last time his presence was reported , was in Bermuda where this ominous triangle appeared in the sky.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0151 ns klein

Participant

Hans, you are partially right but confused regarding one or two aspects.

Corvidova returned unscathed from the Belize expedition but to this day has steadfastly refused to talk about it. He is still very active in the field and as many of the long standing forum members will remember, following a long and distinguished academic career, he eventually founded the Sierra Nevada Institute of Petroglyphic Interpretation for which institution he still acts as Director.

However, you are right insofar as there were disappearances during what has become known as the ‘Belize Incident’. Three team members (two male and one female) and one Yucatec guide disappeared after having entered one of the partially buried pyramid burial chambers at the precise moment of the Winter solstice. They entered, but never re-emerged. No bodies were ever found, that much is public knowledge. There was an extremely thorough government investigation at the time which concluded that it could not offer any rational explanation for their disappearance and the local coroner declared them to be “missing, presumed dead”. What isn’t widely known is that a 16mm Bolex cine film camera belonging to the missing team members was found inside the deserted burial chamber, still running. About six years ago, a 27 second clip from the reel recovered from this camera appeared briefly on YouTube. It purports to show what really happened to them. The clip remained up for less than two hours before it was pulled by person or persons unknown. Quite possibly one of the earliest examples of the “found footage” genre.

I hope these additional notes are of some help. It is a pity that there are no investigative journalists or Hollywood types reading this; I am quite sure this and other cases from the voluminous files of Dr. Corvidova could be the subject of a blockbuster Emmy winning documentary.

With regard to those damnable chimtrails, I’d rather that we didn’t speak about them if you don’t mind. I was only thinking this morning that we are approaching that time of the year when the spores become most active. We had better not tempt Providence….

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Rock on, guys. I had missed reading of Dr. Corvidova.

‘H’

Participant

DSC_1019

Participant

How broad contrail can spread!

Some grow tentacles.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0123 asr klein

Participant

And that looks like George’s castellanus. though it could be downwind, I suppose. With a lens close to George’s too.

Participant

Curious – I replied twice to this at 11.18 and 11.21 pm. Both are in the topic, but there is only one index entry.

Participant

Indeed no up or down on my picture with the tentacles Hygge. I can’t remember the orientation very well.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0128 ns klein

Rather confusing imho

Participant

DSC_1421

Participant

DSC_0049

I wish I was a space man,
      The fastest guy alive.
      I’d fly you round the universe,
      In Fireball XL-5.
      Way out in space together,
      Conquerors of the sky,
      My heart would be a fireball,
      A fireball,
      Every time I gazed into your starry eyes.

Don Spencer, Fireball XL-5

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Wow, that’s a crazy sky, Alec!

And in response to Hans’s “how broad”, here is an overhead “pano” on a day when contrails were really thick. Start from the bottom and scroll up, that’s how I took the picture.

IMG-3587

Participant

Great pano George! I made several of these a few years ago, I’ll try to dig them out.

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Wow, George, that’s quite a giant cocoon you’ve captured! One might wonder what might emerge… IMG_6332_contrailsTentacles And All

Participant

DSC_0517

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Gift Wrapping

may2615a5574

Participant

Shall we play the #contrail game? The idea is to produce a series of consecutive images with an increasing number of contrails. So we start off with one as shown below. The next person posts an image with two. Then another person posts an image with three and so on. Let’s see how far we can take it?!

DSC_1236Contrail Game #1

Participant

So let’s unwrap the gift (great title Michael) of the game and here is the next one.

2017-12 Wolken_0029 asr klein

Contrail Game #2

Participant

DSC_1233

Contrail Game #3

Donna Schwieder avatarDonna Schwieder
      Participant

Hello! Here’s a photo taken over Arkansas, USA

contrail game #4

cloudx

Participant

Welcome Cloverpatch. Very nice to contribute to the game. I only posted the #2 until now and I am not familiar yet with whatever rules Aec had in mind (or not) when he started the game, but I assume every new picture in the series has to have exactly 1 trail more than the one before. Correct me if I am wrong. Nevertheless a nice cross, so I look forward for new ones.

At this stage I begin to foresee that it can be hard to find each next one. In my archive I already can’t find  a #4 although it seemed so simple. For other occasions the number of trails is not easily counted. I suppose that will be the fun it. Making a cutout of a picture with the right number is a bit of cheating maybe. So I will have to go out hunting for a #4. Etcetera.

Just for now:

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0106 asr klein

Participant

Hans, you are correct, each contribution to the game must have exactly one contrail more than the preceding one. Here is number four to help you out,

DSC_1237

Contrail Game #4

Participant

Ha, that helps. Beautiful all 4 sharply defined thin trails, Alec. Here is one with 5. It is a special one because it also show what might be a tangent arc in the cirrostratus. The 5 trails are not as sharply defined as is in #4.

IMG_1685

Control Game #5

Participant

Great! I think it is going to become much harder from hereon in. Any takers for number six?!

Definitely a uta. Try the b-r method on the original to see whether there is a faint sunvex Parry lurking along with the uta.

Participant

Let me try for six. There are at least five contrails at different stages. And there there is a sixth u-shaped cloud. I cannot think of anything on that sky that would not be the result of a contrail. But you be the judge …

DSC01777-crop

Participant

The game is fun, Alec! And it certainly has me looking up in a new way, so thanks for the inspired play. Having a forum topic devoted to contrails has definitely peaked my interest in them, although ever since Hans posted earlier photos of showing Crow Instability Vortex (like his beautiful “Just for now” image above), I’ve been looking much closer for the effect. Haven’t captured any just yet, but that doesn’t diminish the fun of searching.

While I can’t add to the game’s collection, here’s a mystery that I’m not sure where to post (but it does at least have a contrail in it). There was a tiny detail below the contrail I noticed while riding in a car a couple of days ago. It was too far away to capture, but I took a shot anyway. Later, when I downloaded the image and tweaked the contrast just a bit, this subtle powdered sugar donut emerged. Any clue as to what this might be? Had I known it would appear, I’d have taken another shot without the traffic pole smack in the middle of it.

IMG_6815_powder sugar donut

Participant

George, great #6. I had one ready, but now I have to hunt for a #7.

Alec, after installing GIMP I checked all my suspects and no Parry on this one. It would have been the third lucky shot after the two surprises I found. The convex Parry is still on my hunting list.

Keelin, your donut is remarkable. For me it looks like a halo. I assume Alec can shine a light on this?

Participant

Keelin, Hans, it is certainly not a halo. A few thoughts.Could it be some kind of sensor related artefact or afterimage? Internal reflection? Does the car have tinted windows causing a polarisation effect?

Participant

Alec, thanks — the reflection explanation made perfect sense. And yet I couldn’t imagine where it would have come from until this morning when I noticed my iPhone, lying screen down on my desk, right below the image in question on my computer. And VOILA, mystery solved! The closed car window had captured the reflected white area surrounding the dark circular camera lens while the reflection of the blue case blended perfectly with the sky. A giant powdered sugar donut in the sky? No substance to that one — no calories either!

Participant

DSC_3118Contrail Game #7

Participant

IMG_3431 number 8

Control Game #8

Participant

Hans, isn’t that 9 counting the smaller one in lower right corner? Wow!!!!!!!!!

Participant

You are right Keelin. I overlooked the smaller one. Oops. I will have this #9 in store after the real #8 will be posted by someone or maybe I find one myself.

Nice to read the donut mystery is solved!

Participant

Aflare at sunset…

IMG_6774_Sunset Contrails

Participant

The contrail game is going well and we will soon be in double figures. It can be tricky; at first you think you have a perfect “eight” then you look more closely and you notice two or three much fainter trails lurking in the background! Would anyone like to make a prediction of what the final tally is likely to be?

Participant

Yes Alec, the challenge in the game has become clear. For a lot of numbers between where we are now and the high end, there are lots of missing examples and the exact number is uncertain. I wait for a good day contrail hunting. Here the sky is covered and grey and will be so the coming days. Can’t wait.

For what it is worth: a number close to 20 might be possible. Maybe some more?

Participant

I’m predicting twenty plus is definitely possible. Thirty? Who knows?!

Participant

DSC_0465

Participant

What plane left that contrail, Alec? Quite some cumulonimbus!

I found an 8. Look for the tiny 8th at the left hand corner.

#8 IMG_1505

Control Game #8

Participant

Anvil of the gods. Vulcan has just left the building….

Participant

And then the earlier posted one mistaken for  a #8, being a #9.

#09 IMG_3431 # 9

Contrail Game #9

I have some higher numbers, but no 10. Who’s next?

Participant

DSC_0575

Participant

DSC_1012

Uh oh….that’s not good….

Participant

2017-10-18 Wolken_0023 ns75-205 klein

This doesn’t make it any better either..

Participant

Ha ha, but it does, it does! One of the lesser known properties of Crow Instability is that it emits a specific form of gamma radiation that has a detrimental effect on the molecular structure of the spores that are known to mutate into those damnable chimtrails. More Crow the merrier, that’s what I say!

Participant

All the better. This is a relieve. I did not have this knowledge of Crow until now, Alec. And now I see the picture here under in a different way. I confused it in my ignorance with the sparkling of champagne bubbles in one the first B&W threads. Of all! I now suspect the bubbles sparkle as such as a result of the gamma radiation you mentioned having their mutating ways on the spores. I seem to have caught it in the act.

2017-03-13 Circles_0025 B&W uitsnede ns kelin

Participant

Heavy stuff!

Over the years, there have been many doomed (and even libellous!) attempts to provide a rational and cogent explanation of what we are witnessing. One researcher who has quite possibly come the closest to providing a succinct, convincing and plausible account is Trevor J Constable and the etheric beings he called ‘sky critters’. For a definitive explanation, however, we will have to wait until Corvidova concludes his research at the Hangar.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, we are approaching that time of the year when those damnable chimtrails are once more becoming active. If you are unfortunate enough to observe one, please exercise extreme caution. It would be advisable to keep all pets indoors during such apparitions, especially those breeds which are of an excitable or nervous disposition. These are times of high weirdness.

Participant

DSC_0938

The millstone grinds sunrising.

Rocking the dawn like some gargantuan semi-precious Iridium flare.

Participant

DSC_0940

Contrail Game #10

A possible ten? This is really difficult!

Participant

Difficult indeed. It is getting harder and harder already. The pictures I have in score took me quite some time to make counts, recounts and re-recounts. Often ending differently. Still a lot to hunt for, waiting for the right circumstances.

But I want to say yes to your #10 Alec!

Also because I have this candidate (and one other if rejected) for #11.

#11 2017-10-18 Wolken_0007 klein

Contrail Game #11

Participant

Alec, Hans, I agree! The more the merrier especially with crows’ instability. Bring out the bubbly and let’s celebrate! As for the contrail count, I cannot compete, but have just this one from yesterday’s late afternoon.

IMG_6958_Frosty SingularityFrosty Singularity

Participant

What a beauty Keelin! The title fits also perfectly. Arctic abstract austerity…..

Can’t compete with this one.

Participant

DSC_1035

Participant

Counted, recounted, re-recounted and now decided to put this one forward for #12. Any doubts or comments?

#12 2017-05-15 Contrail

Control Game #12

Participant

DSC_1056

Participant

DSC_0585

Cor blimey, Guv, that’s a big one!

Participant

Good heavens, … and with psychotropic lensflare!

2017-05-22 Wolken_0104 asr klein

Famous Indian Rope Trick

Participant

Wow, Hans, what is that!?

IMG_3214

Here is an anti-contrail.

Participant

It is perspective George what makes the rope trick so peculiar imho.

Nice picture pf anti-contrail and nice new word you introduced for the phenomenon.

Thinking about its implications I wondered whether the phenomenon of anti-chimtrail already has drawn the attention of the international scientific society. It is getting weirder and weirder. The secrecy surrounding the matter makes it subject of speculation and alternative facts are popping-up almost everywhere……

Meanwhile the windmill grinds contrail.

#13 IMG_1599

Control Game #13

I hope the number does not imply bad luck about the count.

Participant

DuoCon

Ok folks, I am not sure when I have to leave but my time here is short before I have to attend to other matters with Dr. Corvidova. I’ll try to cram in as much as I am able to before my departure. There is something particularly aeolian about this one that I like.

Participant

Thank you, Hans, for kind comment on Frosty (a few posts up). And Wow! The contrail game just keeps surprising me — as do the lesser quantities. Beautiful astonishments from everyone. And wouldn’t we all like to climb that Rope Hans caught hold of?

I’ve never heard of anti-contrails, so thank you, George, for posting your image. I’ve seen something like that only once and wondered about it. Also curious as to what looked like a dark contrail in the image below. Anyone have an idea about this? Is it just due to time of day being nearly sunset?

And Alec, what do you mean your time is short?! If this is the only moment to say so, I want to offer many thanks for the flash of brilliance and inspiration you’ve brought us here on the expanded forums. If you must go, please do come back!

IMG_6811_Dark Contrail

Participant

Keelin, other projects beckon and after all I am under obedience to the great Doctor. I am not sure when I will receive the call but I promise to all here that I shall return when my duties and responsibilities have been fulfilled.

Participant

DSC_1203

Sometimes in the quiet of the morning I hear the distant drone of a Sopwith Camel….

Participant

Ah, this counting! Do you imply this is Control Game #14? It seems to me Biggles drew the right number of trails.

Participant

Keelin, what you see there is a contrail shadow. Here is the atoptics explanation:

https://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/contr2.htm

I was very puzzled when I saw one the first time a couple of years back. Since then I got more familiar with them, They are not uncommon. Below is one of mine crossing a halo. The observation angle is such that the shadow is really close to the contrail.

As for the anti-contrail, I came up with the name because I wasn’t sure what it was. It could be a contrail shadow. Or it could be something similar to the cavum or “cloud punch”, the track of an airplane where supercooled droplets froze and precipitated. Problem is that I don’t see the precip, so I incline towards shadow, but looking for other opinions.

Halo_contrail_shadow

Participant

Here is my first contrail shadow. Looks like someone used an eraser to remove the white off a blue sheet.

IMG_1294

Participant

DSC_1234

Participant

George, you are very close with the thought about cloud punch. Look for distrail. Like the shadows of contrail you will find the information at  Atoptics – distrail. Also on the CAS site are examples to be found.

Still a nice word anti-contrail, if it weren’t for the possibilities it has to apply on the chimtrails of Alec.

Coming at that, I must say that the time for all of us is short, Alec. But that should be no reason to let other projects beckon in favour of the forum. While waiting for the call of the great Doctor there are so many duties and responsibilities to fulfill on the forum. Not only are there mysteries to solve but also important questions are to be raised.

On the sunrise and sunsets thread I read about the main arterial portal at Little Elwick located at the house we so frequently can observe on your pictures. Other portals can be found on the link you provided. And then there is this portal to Purgatory. It is common knowledge that there appears to be three rituals to open the door to Purgatory. The first was performed by H.P. Lovecraft on March 10, 1937 at a dinner party. The specific ritual is unknown. A creature that came through killed him five days later. The murdering creature may have been Eleanor Visyak, though she denies murdering him.

With this knowledge an observation I made of a celestial portal (being more ephemeral than the ones you provided) drew my renewed attention. A contrail leads close to the seemingly harmless portal in the sky. The way it is disguised as a quite normal phenomenon makes it all the more horrifying for its terrible promises lying behind the portal, whichever way you have entered it. Serious questions are to be raised. I don’t hope that this observation makes the Doctor beckon you sooner than we all want, but I  am sure this must have his and yours scientific interest.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0062 asr klein

Participant

Hans, I think Howard Phillips is using the term Purgatory very loosely and in a non-eschatological sense. It is well known that Visyak has long been exposed as being a complete fraud, a charlatan and luvvie. One should disregard, as a matter of course, every twisted, blackened hate filled word that falls from her mouth.

As all the Church Fathers perennially teach, Purgatory topographically speaking is a chamber of Hell. Ascending, its topography consists of Hell, Purgatory, the Limbo of the Fathers and the Limbo of the Infants. Following the Harrowing, one chamber is and will remain empty. Upon the Dies Irae, a second will follow suit.

A little memento mori….

DSC_2547

Participant

Fantastic!

Participant

Thank you, George and Hans for enlightenment on shadows! Of course, it all makes sense now. And Alec, memento more makes sense as well! Perhaps a reminder to keep looking up while we can? Below is the first contrail I ever took a photo of simply because I liked the free-drawn chalkline feel of it.

IMG_5727_contrail

Participant

And here’s a question for the experts: Do Portholes have legs? Or do they just tend to carry a slender (cloud)stick about as Hans’s photo shows? Intriguing image, by the way, Hans, it looks to be on the move in a way and something keeps drawing me back (or in?!!).

Porthole

Participant

After a Memento Mori I can see the portals are already present at the other side of the pond. Please be careful Keelin! Beware for entering.

2016-07-06 Kennemerstrand_0086 B&W ns klein sch14

Dies Irae

Participant

Neutrino trace.

Participant

DSC_1220

Participant

The bubble chambre gets crowded Alec. Elementary! Assuming you formerly posted a #14 and now a #15 (oh these counts!) I catch up with a #16.

#16 IMG_1662

Control Game #16

Participant

Participant

Sweet 16 ~~ Wow!

IMG_7084_Off The ChartsOff The Charts

Participant

What a fantastic diptych you produced Alec. You make me look in a different way at contrails. A true work of art.

And then a rectangular Mondriaan by Keelin.

2017-07-19 Cum_0040 asr klein

What Happened?

Participant

DSC_1487

Participant

DSC_1669

Participant

Just below a wavering chalkline, the arc of a 22˚ halo can be glimpsed…

IMG_7180_cropped

Participant

Yes, indeed. You must have had a good day, Keelin. Happy New Year to you and everyone!

Participant

DSC_1975

Participant

Turning into a vertebratus. Nice.

Participant

DSC_2001

<i>Anguilla anguilla.</i>

Participant

Nice snack on toast on new years day this Anguilla Anguilla (after being smoked).

Next one is the last one from my archive for the Contrail Game. Some sort of fireworks to start the year with. I still wait for the conditions to spot more contrail. Which way to go?

#17 IMG_1663

Control Game #17

Kristy Sharkey avatarKristy Sharkey
        Participant

That’s a stunner, Hans.  So much going on!

Kristy Sharkey avatarKristy Sharkey
      Participant

Contrail or volcano?  IMG_5704

Participant

A geological precursor of chimtrails? I think Dr. Corvidova needs to be informed of this immediately!

Participant

DSC_2213

Participant

Beautiful composition with grayish blues and blueish grays Alec.

2016-08-24 Cirrus_0031 ns49-159 klein

A Wick?

Participant

Wow, Hans, this is spectacular! Could be a wick — or Cupid’s arrow? Or even the hot bow of wild violinist. Whatever you want to call it, it surely stirs the heart.

Participant

DSC_2351

Participant

DSC_2439

Participant

2017-03-13 Circles_0017 B&W uitsnede ns klein

There Is Laughter In The Sky

Participant

Ever since I saw your first posting of CVI, Hans, I have been watching contrails with much keener interest. While I’ve yet to witness it, I must say the laughter you’ve shared here has found its way across the pond. A splendid start to the New year!

Participant

Tiny contrails after sunset. Can you see them?

contrails

Participant

DSC_2632

Participant

Thank you Keelin for your kind words.

Great colors at sunset George and great composition of escaping vessels Alec. What are they escaping from?

No tiny contrail…..

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0115 ac klein

Participant

DSC_2901

Participant

DSC_3016

Participant

Strange creature

DSC03428_enh

Participant

DSC_3096

Viewing 81 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.