Colour Thread Volume V

Colour Thread Volume V

Forums The Cloud Forum Colour Thread Volume V

Viewing 96 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Keelin wished Volume IV a gentle good night. And after a night sleep there is (although not taken at sunrise but midday) …..

2018-08 Charigny_0048-2

Daybreak for Volume V and let’s see what dawns!

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Daybreak for Volume V absolutely shimmers with anticipation, Hans.

The glittering sunrise below brought to mind Sting’s hauntingly tender rendition of the Sumner & Bogdonovic song “Fields of Gold”, though I think this must surely be more than a match for those seductive fields of barley.

IMG_0874_Fields Of Gold

Participant

Wow, that sunrise over Volume V glows Keelin. Love the colors and beams.

2018-02 Luchten_0587 asr sch10 klein

Afdrift

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

To cool things down abit:

Velum

Arizona Color#90

July2518b3903

Participant

That is a true Cool picture Michael.

Btw: Afdrift should have been Adrift, but maybe that was already clear? Stupid typo’s…

Pleas keep cool seeing these

2018-05 Wolken_0217 an klein

Ghostly Appearances

Participant

Arizona Color#91

dec2317b9655

Participant

Love the above, Hans and Michael, the coolness, the otherworldliness, the color.

Night shots like the one below are impossible to capture well with my wee cellphone camera. But even with the graininess it automatically adds, I like the dreamy feeling of this image enough to keep it and find a haiku title helps hold the memory of the moment ever more clearly.

IMG_0217_Full Moon HaikuBright night in July
      distant Mars regarding Moon
      Cirrus sailing by

Participant

Arizona Color#92

dec2316b9190

Participant

Keelin, the Sky-day project will miss your contribution, but I understand you don’t like Twitter. So the lovely Haiku is shared exclusively on this forum together with the moonlighted undulatus you captured.

And then the cool blues by Michael bring us back in bright daylight.

2017-08-14 Pileus_0119 klc S klein

Space Oddity

Participant

Arizona Color# 93

mar2517b2020b

Participant

Nice lenticulars Michael and you must have read about Granny Weather Witch who likes some land in pictures to be able to judge height properly.

Your #93 reminds me of a series I once made a year ago. By then I was not that enthusiastic about them, but I am able to develop them in a better way now (I  think) than I could at that moment. For GWW also some trees are included.

2017-05-31 Wolken 014-2

Participant

I’ve had the discussion with GWW some years ago. My perspective has not changed. If one needs  earth reference points to view clouds, fine. To me, including “land” in a photo with clouds makes the photo a ” Landscape”,,and ought to be  viewed and evaluated accordingly. Nothing wrong with that.

A photo of cloud with no earth reference points,besides a sky…is a cloudscape to me. To me, earth reference points act as an anchor to the imagination that wants to soar with the cloud.  Earth reference points hold one to the ground and thus hinder the mind from traveling amongst the clouds. Also, for me, after a while earth reference points have so little to do with the cloud. Does a lenticular become less than a lenticular if there are no earth reference points to judge its height width and circumference? Same can be asked about any cloud.  A Cumulonimbus is huge compared to a cumulus humilus. I don’t need earth reference points to tell me that. A lot of sunset pics recently demonstrate Earth really isn’t needed to see the beauty of nature in cloud an light.

I have no problem including earth in cloud shots when I have to tho. For crop reasons there may be little other choice. The above lenny shot was taken over a year ago and I decided to not edit out earth because it would be too labor intensive to do so. Nuthin to do with GWW.  Funny thing..a recent lenny shot submitted to Gallery from the same shoot, I used earth reference points to draw  and direct  the eye into the photo…Due to size limitation that part of the photo got edited out. Oh well..

Arizona Color #94

mar2517b2026

Participant

You certainly gave it a thorough thought Michael whether to include land or not in a cloudscape. I find myself a bit in between: sometimes land or trees add to a picture – disregarding the situations where you can’t avoid it – and sometimes it distracts from what you want to capture. About the former lennies with land (Arizona Color #93)  you wrote it was too labor intensive to separate them from the land. You can see that exactly the same applies to my lennies above.

I found your recent lennies on the gallery and I recognize Arizona Color #94 in it. Love it. What you say about the reference points I don’t understand, for this picture surely has a foreground with land which did not got edited out? I don’t understand what you say there, but that’s probably because I don’t get the whole picture (so to speak).

There is also this recent pileus and velum capture from you on the gallery. I like it very much and this one shows nothing less than the beauty of the clouds themselves like you prefer to do.

So….

2018-05 Wolken_0219 an klein

Without Any Reference

Participant

Thank you, Hygee! You inspired me to search the internet for more cloud haiku which led to a site you and others might enjoy: https://ahaikueachday.wordpress.com/category/air-and-sky-tenmon/weather/clouds/

Michael and Hans: Arizona Color#94 and Without Any Reference are both beauties that easily set the mind free and spirits soaring.

Below is an image that doesn’t rely on any land inclusion for sense of scale.

IMG_6463_Moon AnchorMoon Anchor

Participant

Thanks Keelin. Lovely Moon Anchor. Seemingly tiny but rock-steady in these mighty undulations. I look forward for more haiku´s!

2018-07 Wolken_0061-3

Back To Abstracts

Participant

Good One Keelin! Ha!

Hans The shot got the bottom cut off in order to fit. Some of the sidewalk , the foot of the near lampost, etc had to go. That also threw off the proportional  curve leading the eye to the lenticularus but thats minor compared to the clouds themselves. I guess I am one of those who likes everything in a picture doing something. If its not doing something get it out of the shot.

Arizona Color#95

july2016b6202

Participant

Arizona Color#96

dec2115b1626

Participant

Love the light movement in your Back To Abstracts, Hans. And the wild duplicatus flow in your Arizona Color#96, Michael. Impossible to know which way is up in these abstracts, which makes for a fun tumble.

IMG_5135_Still StandingStill Standing (depending on how you look at it)

Participant

Keelin..Thats the thing about clouds,,you have to always be looking up to see them.

Arizona Color#97jan3116b2647

Participant

Arizona Color#98

dec1017b9248

Participant

Beautiful blues, Michael. Love these serene expressions.

IMG_0742_TIlde TransformationTilde Transformation

Participant

Clouds have talked to me, intuitively ,but nasally, I’m not sure.

Heres more early morning blues which seems a good time to capture them.

Arizona Color#99

dec3016b9615

Participant

Are you in math Keelin? ” A ”tilde” transformation transforms the timedependent
      Schrödinger equation into an inhomogeneous equation containing smoothed
      initial conditions. The approach is much simpler than the Schwartz’s theory of distributions.Love it!

And Michael turns out to be a cloud whisperer! So much surprises…….

Recently I spotted this strange exploding lenticular formation in a wild lenticular sky with some remnants of asperitas that passed a bit earlier. I suppose Holmboe was there?

2018-09 Charigny_0213-2

Holmboe Was Here?

Participant

Hans: Your question, “Are you in math Keelin?” gave me a good giggle as I come from the other end of the campus! The “Tilde” title was simply inspired by the cloud’s wave. That’s not to say I don’t deeply appreciate the exquisite beauty/poetry of math, because I do indeed, even if it’s a language I don’t speak. There’s a short story here: Years ago, during a lucid dream, I seemed to be hovering in the deep, dark void of outer space, beyond all clouds, beyond all solar systems, with no edge or end to the Sky. And with no image of a dream body, just a sense of pure awareness. Taking advantage of that auspicious moment, I asked, “May I know the meaning of the universe?” In response, a pinpoint of light in the far distance appeared and began to shimmer and morph, and as it unfolded, what emerged was the most breathtaking mathematical calculation I could ever possibly have imagined. The formula grew in astonishing complexity, incorporating biological molecular models along the way, until it filled all space and literally went beyond me. No drugs were involved in this dreamtime adventure and the memory of it has remained vivid for decades. And now I must ask: Are you in math Hans? Your explanation of Tilde made my head swim — in a good way!

Participant

Michael, those blues are worth rising early for — gorgeous!

And Hans, I love the subtle shades and floaty feeling you’ve captured in Holmboe Was Here. Can you sent some Holmboe across the pond?

IMG_0688_The Element Of SurpriseThe Element Of Surprise

Participant

Hans,,yes, you caught Holmboe is perfect slosh!..The smaller peaks in the shot remove any question as well.

Nice Twilight Zone Account there Keelin..and the photo is definitely somewhere between sight and sound.

I return to one of my favorite shoots…for another variation.

Arizona Color #100

sept1216b7230

Participant

Keelin, how nice and surprising to read about your fantastic dream. You say you are from the other side of the campus (what a nice way of saying you are not in math!) and where others “on that side of the campus” have bad dreams of math you seemingly had this great beautiful lucid dream you describe so well and vividly. What I read makes me think your mystical dream revealed the secrets of the great unification theory that is still sought for ever since Einstein started this quest. You are privileged!

Yes, I  saw your tilde in the clouds, but I just googled on your creative title and found the article from which I copied the quote. Like you say these words make your head swim in a positive way. I never heard of tilde transformations before but on the other hand I must confess  very, very, very  long ago I studied physics and was familiar with the Schödinger equation.  Indeed lots of math is involved. In those days I was able to write formula’s down of which I now don’t even know the meaning  anymore. They seem to have evaporated in clouds of many different kinds. Ahhh, those were the days.

With what I wrote above you can imagine that the Element Of Surprise couldn’t have been a better response. I recognize your beautiful picture on the gallery in it. I agree with the well-chosen words by Michael, it is indeed an image between sight and sound.

Michael, thanks for confirmation of the Holmboe. What strikes me in Arizona color #100 is the resemblance with what I recently spotted myself in a asperitas filled sky. The great unification theory of clouds? Your #100 has some characteristics of asperitas also imho.

2018-09 Charigny_0159-2

A lookalike on this side of the pond

And I also send on Keelin’s request another peculiar looking Holmboe though it is a digital one.

2018-09 Charigny_0209-2

Blowing Off Steam

Participant

Thank you Hans and Michael for kind replies. Love those twins above separated by the pond! The similarity is quite amazing, both lovely to contemplate. And thanks for a second helping of Holmboe, Hans. The rounded shape in your image there has something of a twin here too.

IMG_0582_Single ScoopSingle Scoop

Participant

Baskin & Robbins

Arizona Color#101

aug1216b6562

Participant

The Single Scoop  might have been from Baskin & Robbins as well I think. Both very nice.

2018-09 Charigny_0122-2

Cloudy Prominences

Participant

Here is a cloud I found unusual. I began taking photos of it when I noticed it wasn’t moving along as all others were blustering their way across central Phoenix sky.  Its long narrow shape stuck out as all others where in various degrees of being blown apart: organization in the midst of chaos. It lasted approximately 20 minutes with little directional movement ,west to east.  This picture was the last taken. I could believe it is a variant of Lenticularis. I could believe its a variant of a roll cloud, a micro roll cloud, a bread stick rather than a roll.  It is lower in altitude than the overhead rush of cloud with only the South Mountain/Estrella Mtn ranges nearby, yet they run  90 degrees(east west) opposed to the orientation of the needle cloud(north south). The White Tanks range  is about 25-30 miles west tho. It runs north south. Anyway some kind of horizontal phenomena created a condensation line amidst the hurly burly and was able to fend off the forces of nature until alas ,no horse was available.  An oddball cloud deserving the title, A Richard lll  cloud.

jan0318b0013

Participant

Your Richard III cloud is amazing Michael. I am sure you googled for other examples or something alike to explain what you saw. I did so and could not find a clue. It  has first off all the features of a roll cloud but these rolls tend to move ahead of the front they are heralding. A lenticular can stay at one place but that must be above a hill or mountain where it can expose its orographic trickery. Lenticular seems to me the less plausible. I stick on roll cloud. Did you post it for the gallery? Gavin or Ian might have a clue based on your precise observations.

Apart from the explanation or classification I like this picture very much just because of this thin line dividing the composition in two parts.

Participant

Hans, thanks for the perspective and no I haven’t sent the photo to CAS in any formal way. The post is the first public show of it. Below is another shot. One can see the two directions of the winds  a lot more clearer. Maybe a sheer event causing a compression is the source of the needle cloud. Back to the rollcloud idea. The idea of a sliver of cold  surviving in all that tumult seems unlikely.

jan0318b9999

Participant

Michael, your “needle” cloud is most intriguing. Both shots are dramatically beautiful. They gave me a little nudge of deja vu too, as just yesterday, I noticed a similar shape in the late afternoon sky.  I suspect, in this instance, it might be a thin roll cloud as we (finally!) had some rain today. This was a far distant shot with the cloud lying just above the horizon.

IMG_0981_Before The Rain

Participant

You both are rocking and rolling!

I can see the different wind directions on Arizona that influenced the appearance of your Richard III cloud Michael. So difficult to figure out what’s happening there. The only clue you have is that the winds and temperatures are invisible for our eyes and only the clouds can betray there doings. The needle keeps intriguing.

And Keelin, you captured a nice thin roll cloud. I haven’t seen much of those.

Just to keep in line…..

2018-09 Charigny_0290-3

Horizontals

Participant

2018-09 Charigny_0242-4

Strange Cloudshow

Participant

Love the subtle colors in Horizontals, Hans. And that is, indeed, one (very) Strange (very beautiful) Cloudshow. I imagine Dali would like to have shared that sighting with you!

What caught my eye in the image below was the hint of a dark arch with little ripples flowing beneath it. Unfortunately, this was a far distant shot, hence a bit grainy.

IMG_0987_Dark Arch Arched Passageway

Participant

Love the subtle colors in Horizontals, Hans. And that is, indeed, one (very) Strange (very beautiful) Cloudshow. I imagine Dali would like to have shared that sighting with you!

What caught my eye in the image below was the hint of a dark arch with little ripples flowing beneath it. Unfortunately, this was a far distant shot, hence a bit grainy.

IMG_0987_Dark Arch Arched Passageway

Participant

Thanks Keelin. Nice shapes and composition has your Arched Pasageway. It makes me think of the Squared Undulatus I posted in the asperitas thread. This one seems to have the same features. Anyway I love it for its smooth arch that seems to embrace the ripples.

Since you mentioned Dali (from the same cloudshow):

2018-09 Charigny_0238-2

Soft Clouds

Participant

Love those Soft Clouds, Hans. And the skyscapes you’ve been sharing in your recent series of Asperitas are wonderfully surreal. Hope you have more of them.

A different kind of softness in the image below.

IMG_1079_Feathery FanFeathery Fan

Participant

Great soft Feathery Fan Keelin. I´d love to keep me cool with those. I love the composition with the vanishing point outside the image top right to which attention is drawn.

Enough soft clouds are there still to share.

2018-09 Charigny_0215-3

Soft Parade

Participant

How lovely, Hans, is this Soft Parade.

And to follow…IMG_1027_Soft Serenade A Soft Serenade

Participant

Lovely notes Keelin in your Soft Serenade.

2018-09 Charigny_0116-2

Just Trying To Stay In Tune

Participant

Oh yes, that captures the effort perfectly, Hans.

IMG_0463_Crescendo!Crescendo!

(or) Hair Of The Conductor In The Key Of Off

Participant

Fantastic music you make with Crescendo, Keelin and I really had to laugh reading the title. Ingenious!

2018-09 Charigny_0250-3

Strange Chords

Participant

Coming week I will be looking for more cloudy music elsewhere. For now another one from the series of Soft Clouds.

2018-09 Charigny_0246-2

What’s That Jazz

Participant

Thanks, Hans! And I hope the skies are jazzing it up for you wherever you’ve roamed. Love the wild shapes and compositions you’ve captured in the two images above. The color, as well, is very pleasing to the eye.

IMG_0600_Still Tuning Up HereStill Tuning Up Here

Participant

Arizona Color #102

B Fat  Blues

jan0818b0102

Participant

Still Tuning Up Here shows some very nice jazz Keelin. Love it!  And B Fat Blues by Michael as well.

2018-10 Wolken_0021-3

Some Tenderly Colored Notes

Participant

There’s a beautiful visual harmony in your images above, Michael and Hans. Below, there was just the softest hint of color that led me to linger in the moment.

IMG_0823__Echo Of A Soft RefrainEcho Of A Soft Refrain

Participant

Arizona Color #103

dec0117b8783

Participant

Is it a faint arc in your Soft Refrain that echoes, Keelin? Very nice.

Arizona color #103 – and Arizona B&W #179 from Volume XI as well – triggers next one I spotted not so long ago.

2018-10 Wolken_0129-2

Lookalikes?

Participant

Yes, Hans, it was indeed just that bit of iridescence at the top of the image that held me and added a little something to balance the branches below.

And I see what looks alike in your and Michael’s images above. Love the soft, welcoming feel of them. Here is one that looks like it would like to join them.

IMG_1329_Definite SimilaritiesSome Similarities

Participant

I think I photographed AltCum statiformus perlucidus whereas you two are displaying  floccus?  Yes, most clouds seem a welcoming pillow.

Arizona Color#104

dec2516b9412

Participant

You are right Michael about the classification. The similarity is more in the “pillowy feel”, also in Some Similarities by Keelin. You posted a very different pillow with #104.

2018-11 Wolken_0038-2

Cirrus Dance

Participant

What sleep might come with such a pillow as your Arizona Color#104? I should like to give it a try. Perchance to dream of joining Hans’s Cirrus Dance, leaping my way across the sky with an astonished ability to stay aloft.

IMG_0144_Ballet BallonBallet Ballon

Participant

Arizona Color#105

dec2316b9205

wow..this site is showing fotos  quite a bit over saturated  compared to my desktop and Lightroom files on my computer. Anyone else?

Participant

Michael, no problems here with the saturation of the pictures compared to my computer. I checked one of my own pics on the site with the original one I sent. I see no difference nor extra saturation on the site.

Arizona color #105 is perfect and is also showing that way on my laptop and tablet btw.

After some nice sky dancing on Ballet Ballon, now with the feet on the ground again for a

2018-11 Wolken_0047-3

A Thick Lick Of Paint

Participant

Same report here, Michael. No difference in saturation between viewing my photos on home computer and those appearing the forum. The deep colors I see in your Arizona Color #105, at least in my opinion, are just right and add an emotional component the tumultuous cloudscape. Very beautiful.

As for the Thick Lick Of Paint… SO tasty, Hans!

Below is a photo that came straight from my iPhone 5s with no color or contrast adjustments made. I don’t like the lens flare in the image, but left it untouched for this example.

Just recently, I’ve been thinking about getting a REAL camera (something simple, small and light weight) that would offer better resolution. Any suggestions/advice on this would be most welcome.

IMG_1456_Big GulpBig Gulp

Participant

Applicable title for this mighty cirrus wisp Keelin. Did you notice you also captured a bird or maybe a little insect passing by when you clicked? Is it going to get gulped?

I always admire what you are able to capture with an iphone. Nevertheless I can understand that there are limitations in the use of a phone, especially in zooming in or out. I am sure you will have great pleasure and satisfaction in using something with more possibilities. Advice is difficult. The first advice is to make up your mind what you are looking for and also what you don’t want. You already mentioned some things: light weight, easy to use. Then it won’t be a DSLR (mine is very heavy I can tell).  System camera’s are the future. All the great brands are aiming on this market. System camera’s have the possibility to use different objectives.  But if you want it all-in-1 and don’t want to have to bother about changing objectives, it is also possible.  You also mentioned you want better resolution, so the number of pixels is an issue, but also the quality of the sensor (a high number pixels with a noisy sensor is no improvement). The rest is a balance between wanted quality and price. Hope this helps (a bit)? I am sure you will be very happy after you made your choice for more possibilities.

2018-11 Wolken_0043-2

Separation Of Different Sizes

Participant

Indeed, Hans, were it not for the bird winging by, it would be impossible to sense the scale of the bold Cirrus cloud that dominated my sky view that afternoon. In your Separation Of Different Sizes, I suspect it is familiarity with these cloud types that offers a sensible sense of scale. No other reference point needed in your lovely capture there.

And thanks for your response regarding my growing desire for a better camera, especially the reminder about pixels/resolution. No doubt the choice will become easier once options are explored and I find out what’s available/affordable.

Below, more Cirrus with another little friend winging in the upper left for scale.

IMG_1194_Cirrus And FriendCirrus And Friend

Participant

Keelin..Im gettin a green in the middle zone of  #105 and a pronounced magenta on the left and right sides. This discoloration is simply not there on the original.

Recommendation..if you want more flexibility with your picture takin and more control of the final product then its a two pronged approach in achieving your goals.. If you want  good Frameable Photos,,something of quality to frame and hang on a wall  8 x 11..then I suggest starting at a wide to telephoto  zoom  camera..Nikon’s Coolpix and Canon’s PowerShot are good examples..with the Nikon probably  the better choice..but this is for just where to start doin the research. There are many reviews to be read to help guide you. There are variations introduced to the market  what seems like every 6 months.  Suggest google ..digital point and shoot cameras..8 x 11 is the largest you will get away with ,with these cameras..If you want to go to 11 x 14..then  we’re talkin a larger CMOS..the wafer that the image is recorded by.Here is where ” resolution” is determined. The more pixels in the wafer the better the resolution..to the limits of the lens..If the lens is crap, then the resolution will just  show crap. So for 11 x14 you want full size CMOS..and Good Lens that can  remain ” good” up to 11 x 14. How much you want to spend becomes the limiting factor…  The industry is moving AWAY from DSLR and embracing Mirrorless technology..Nikon and Canon have finally joined Sony  in the Full Size CMOS Mirrorless camera market..Canon has a 3/4 size mirrorless camera quite a bit  less expensive than their new Full Size CMOS camera..Read the reviews and tech comparisons to help guide you. You can get DSLR for bargain prices right now due to the market moving away from DSLR..The Canon 6D is a good buy if you want to settle for  full size Chevy rather than a Cadillac. Nikon DSLR  are also at bargain prices.  Lens…i strongly recommend a wide angle to telephoto zoom..the best you can afford..Canon has the ” L” series of lenses which are expensive,,but once you get one ..you understand. Again Nikon has their lenses etc etc,,so read up on reviews..Something around a 28mm to 300mm Zoom I have found covers just about every  Cloud shot I  wanted to take.

Photo processing software..Adobe Lightroom is great for starters..there are others . Again, read up on reviews. Let them guide you. The software that comes with cameras doesn’t compare to Lightroom or Photoshop. There are proprietary abilities that the camera software packages can’t touch…

Read read read..get use to the vocabulary. Photography is a craft of trade offs. Few affordable cameras will do everything to complete satisfaction..few lenses will do everything to complete satisfaction..And I haven’t even talked about printers and papers and..yes, digital photography is also a business..a business of  accessories and endless improvements updated every 6 months..

If ya want to go to 11×14( or larger)..full size cmos needed with good to excellent lenses. DSLR are on  Sale rite now due to market shifting to mirrorless.

If ya want to be happy at 8×11..then a 3/4 size cmos camera..DSLR or Mirrorless with a good or excellent lens will get you there…a very good point and shoot Zoom camera will get you there on a good day.

If you are happy with 5×7 or smaller..then a good point and shoot zoom camera is a fine choice.

In any case..I highly recommend Adobe Lightroom ..even over Photoshop..Photoshop is closer to  a Printing Shop..where as Lightroom,,as implied,,is a Photo Processing Package. The manipulation of an image is simply incredible with Lightroom. Many of duds have been rendered Frameable with Lightroom. Many a pretty neats have been rendered WOW by Lightroom…and once you get to know the software..its incredibly fast. I can’t recommend it enough.

anyway..

Arizona Color#106..shot with a canon 6D..28-300 zoom lens..my  backyard Phx Az. Processed with Adobe Lightroom.

jan1417b9957

Participant

Thank you, Michael. Your detailed advice on camera options is much appreciated. And I’ll check out Adobe LightRoom as well. I would so much like to be able to capture the crispiness of clouds in instances such as the one shown below. Your Arizona Color#106 is good advertising for the camera you use. It’s a gorgeous shot.

IMG_1324_Aura And EnergyAura And Energy

Participant

Certainly Energy  in this image Keelin. I understand what you mean with the crispiness you want to capture. I hope you will also experience some fun in finding out which camera fits your needs, but I am sure you want to have tele range. Zooming in with a tele can reveal so much thrilling details. I agree with Michael on his advises. Like Michael I use Canon 7D, one of the DSLR’s that are challenged so much now by systemcamera’s,  like the dinosaurs were challenged by the mammals once.  Last note on this subject: also Sony has a very good full frame systemcamera. But  I realize: “wahl macht qual”, i.e. a German expression for the difficulties you have when there is so much choice. So I wish you good luck with your choice and I already look forward to what you will be able to capture afterwards.

Here under an example of ‘something’ taken with 125 mm and then cropped and developed using Lightroom. I’ve done a workshop in Lightroom this spring to have a quick start in using it and now I am very happy with the possibilities of Lightroom. In my opinion it does miracles with colors without making it unreal because it is very subtle and precise in adjustments you can make. Until spring I only used Photoshop elements for processing pictures. Now I am a convinced Lightroom adept.

2018-11 Wolken_0064-2

Jewel In The Sky

Participant

An extraordinary beauty, Hans! A priceless jewel that can never be stolen, and one you will always know where to find.

Having just looked back through my archives here, I notice my first post to the CAS forum is dated January 10, 2017. It amazes me how quickly and intensely my interest and appreciation has taken hold for the wonders of the beckoning sky. So much of this is due especially to the warm encouragement that you, Michael and Gavin have continued to offer. You all have my deepest gratitude.

IMG_1462__Out Of This WorldOut Of This World

Participant

You’re welcome Keelin, this is so nice to read. Be assured the gratitude is mutual. I feel the same applies to me as well.

Out Of This World has the perfect feel of a picture taken from considerable height with a look on some birds underneath who hover above a seascape. A deceiving and wonderful view.

2018-09 Charigny_0252-3

Elastic

Participant

2018-11 Wolken_0078-2

Soft Undulations

Participant

Arizona Color#107

jan0818b0094

Participant

Michael, besides that Arizona Color #107 is a perfect and beautiful example of KH it is also a great composition in blues and greys. One to remember!

2018-11 Wolken_0025-2

Willows In The Wind

Participant

Love those duplicated forms in both Soft Undulations and Arizona Color #107. And fantastic Elastic, Hans. Makes me wonder just how far a cloud can stretch. I see they are reaching up in Willows In The Wind (with a clever title too).

IMG_1336_Crosswinds BlueCrosswinds Blue

Participant

Nice work you two!

Arizona Color#108

jan1417b0023

Participant

Thanks, Michael! And what a gentle transition in colors you’ve captured in Arizona Color#108.

This one caught me by surprise…

IMG_1718_Swept AwaySwept Away

Participant

Arizona Color#109

dec0517b8918

Participant

Great composition in #109, Michael. Love those subtle blues and greys.

IMG_8116_UpdraftUpdraft

Participant

Ha, at last I am able to post a reply. For a week I had to bite my nails and had to watch passively new posts I wanted to reply to.

On this topic and others I have seen last week great pictures by the way. I am simply Swept Away by Updraft and even so by Arizona Color #108 (gentle colors for sure) and #109. What a peculiar formation you captured on t#109 Michael.

I love the feel of Crosswind Blues by Keelin and hope to stay in tune.

2018-11 Wolken_0049-3

More Crosswinds

Participant

Was wondering if you’d gone wandering in search of distant clouds, Hans. Glad to see More Crosswinds have blown you back!

IMG_1604_Washboard WindsWashboard Winds

Participant

Yes, I am happy the temporary glitch is solved Keelin. Back on track again now.

Washboard Winds shows wild streaks against a regular pattern of bands. Love it.

2018-10 Wolken_0069-2

Weaving Patterns

Participant

Love the gentle, calming effect of your Weaving Patterns, Hans. Quite the opposite of feelings generated by the image below. It reminds me of being wide awake for hours in the middle of the night and wishing I had that barista’s phone number.

IMG_1660_I Ordered DECAF!I Ordered DECAF!

Participant

Horizontal lines bring stability thus calm. Vertical lines suggest change, instability and between the two the clouds create all sorts of realities. #109 is a shot of remnants of  Asperitas. Fortunately the formation swept back and around  giving me a chance to capture its decay.

Anyway, some Cloud Tea..

jan1817b0100

Participant

Delicious, Michael! And the perfect image to enjoy while the weather does what it will.

View From The Dry SideA View From The Dry Side

Participant

Arizona Color#111

jan2018b0437

Participant

Very nice impression Keelin with A View From The Dry Side! I assume you have longed for some wet weather over there. Dancing in the rain?

Michael your last two show gentle blues an gentle cambers. Must have been in an asperitas filled sky?

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0065 uitsnede ac klein

Lenticular Cambers

Participant

Indeed, Hans, I’m doing the rain dance in hopes of dancing in the rain — which is happily predicted for this weekend. Now, if it would just be cold enough…. I’m inspired by the beautiful, cool blues in your image above and in Michael’s most recent images to dream of the fun provided by Winter wonderlands. That said, it would not be the first time I have skated across a frozen pond while my head lies warmly on the pillow.

IMG_1928_Frozen FollyFrozen Folly

Participant

Hans , no Asperitas around  by the photo record anyway..just some wavy undulatus I had some fun with..

Arizona Color#112

feb1117b0677

Participant

Fun indeed. Nice and fine pattern in Arizona Color #112. A wrinkled sky.

And Frozen folly is what it says it is Keelin. A true skating rink also. Though for skating it might be too soon , may this be …

2018-11 Wolken_0086-2

Winter Wonderland?

Participant

Arizona Color#113

Thin Crepusculated Undulatus..

feb1818b0927

Neil Cannon avatarNeil Cannon
      Participant

Hello all, first post!!

8S1A5662

Participant

A warm welcome Neils. A great entry you make with this lenticular formation at sunset (I suppose). Love it and hope to see more from you!

Very peculiar Thin Crepesculated Undulatus you captured Michael. Like seen through ribbed glass.

2018-12 Wolken_0072-2

Cut Out

Participant

So whats the idea behind these forums, we just share pictures we like of clouds based on the title of the thread?

Participant

Welcome Neil.. Great shot at Sunset!

You and anybody ,shouldn’t feel constrained by what is in place now on the forum..If you have in mind a  thread of your own making ,do it.”Clouds” is the only parameter. Threads based in similarity have been set up for ease of organization for the poster and the viewer. But there are no hard rules in place, just an effort to keep things organized. The clouds are random and free so if you have a preference, its yours to do. Recently I did a thread on  Pileus shot from my backyard during one week in August.,and I still post  photos in threads and submit shots to the Gallery. Just be sure to have fun!

Participant

Thanks Michael, heres some mammatus from an English sunset :

Sunset in Buckinghamshire

Participant

Wow, fantastic mamma coloring in the setting sun. A classic for sure. Love it Neil (or is it Neils?).

As to the use of the Forum it is like Michael explained. You already discovered there are some topics for specific themes (B&W, Colour, … e.a., just check for more). To add something to that it is good to know that we use the rule of thumb to start a next volume whenever a specific topic reaches the number of 100 posts no matter who starts a next one with the next volume number for that topic. And to emphasize what Michael wrote: no constraints, just fun and the parameter is “Clouds”. We all love to share the fruits of our camera’s the gallery isn’t able to bear (so to speak). So let’s continue and amaze each other.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0155 asr klein

Fluffy Sky

Participant

Almost black and white! A typical summers day in the UK, starts out nice and the top cover rolls in, you can just see some birds thermaling in the left hand corner

_DSC0789

Participant

I like this composition Neil. Something big is on its way!

2018-12 Wolken_0053-3

Convection In Action

Participant

WOW ~~ Fantastic photos, Michael, Hans, Neil! Thank you all for the pure joy these images bring. Truly beyond measure.

Participant

Thanks Keelin,

_DSC1749

Participant

Arizona Color#114

mar0616b3471

Participant

Arizona Color#115

mar2217b1834

Participant

Love the blues in #114 and the virga streaks in #115 Michael. And Neil posted at the end of the year a fine composition of contrasting clouds.

Next one shows also some kind of contrast.

2018-09 Charigny_0256-2

Differences

Participant

Hans, I simply cannot un-see a little figure at the bottom of your photo that brings this volume to a close. To my eye, he appears to be applauding — and for good reason — the fantastic theater presented in Differences. What a beauty!

Viewing 96 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.