Colour Thread Volume III

Colour Thread Volume III

Forums The Cloud Forum Colour Thread Volume III

Viewing 71 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Colour Thread Volume II has been blown out by Michael with post number 100 in a wonderful way, so lat’s start Volume III and make it as colorful as the former Volumes. I look forward for what’s coming up.

2018-02 Luchten_0292 c2 asr klein

I Don’t Have The Faintest Idea

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A beautifully subtle and mysterious beginning to Volume III, Hans, especially after Michael’s truly grand finale blasted off the charts. You may not have the faintest idea of what’s to come, but rest assured you won’t be alone for the ride.

IMG_6450_Let's Do Launch!Let’s Do Launch!

Participant

Thank you Keelin, and off we are. Great Launch!

2018-02 Luchten_0463 ac klein

High Up

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0584 asr klein

For Making Candy Sticks

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Party In The Sky

may0817b3118

Participant

Great Party In The Sky, Michael. Let’s pop some champagne! It will go well with Hans’s Candy Sticks.

IMG_5852_Let's Pop Some ChampagnePop!

Participant

Yes party in blues! I come along.

2018-03 Luchten_0046 asr klein c

Participant

Shall We Start A Conga Line?

IMG_7577_Shall We Start A Conga Line

Participant

Yesterday the sky was already shaking on this side of the pond on the rhythm of the congas Keelin.

2018-03 Luchten_0032 asr c klein

Participant

I learned about chiaroscuro in the Cloud A Day from last Wednesday. Nature’s contrast between light and shadow…

2018-02 Luchten_0551 ac klein

Participant

What a fantastic example of chiaroscuro, Hans. Beauty + mystery!

We are having much needed rain here today and everyone is happy. Well, everyone except the wild dancing Rain Goddess, whose necklace has broken and sent her pearls flying. I was just in time to catch sight of them through a nearby window.

Rain Goddess PearlsRain Goddess Pearls

Participant

Glad to see and hear of the snow and rain in California Keelin!

Overhead Asperitas

sept1216b7327

Participant

You are lucky with the coming of the rain goddess and with the find of her lost Pearls Keelin! Love the image.

You had Asperitas overhead Michael, and show strange strangles of cloud (is this good English?). Intriguing. I had yesterday a Asperitas event over here. Not overhead in this case.

2018-03-03 Asperitas_0065 asr klein c

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Very different that cloud, Michael. Looks like little uneven mamma’s are embedded. Hans, you sky is dreamy, peaceful.

Participant

Maybe former one was dreamy, but at almost the same time 180 degrees opposite the view seemed more nightmarish.

2018-03-03 Asperitas_0092 s3h57c45 klein c

Participant

The magic of zooming (or cropping).

Participant

Taken with focal length 28 mm. But to be honest also with some enhancement of contrast. Still magic I hope?

Participant

Ah, ok, so I’ll rephrase: when taken in isolation a piece of the sky can give a very different impression than the overall. Not to mention photo editing :-)

Participant

For sure George!

Participant

Morning Asperitas

aug2716b6719

Participant

Great blues on this Morning Asperitas. I had an asperitas event last weekend in the evening. I took an overload of pictures. some of them have to ripen like you once wrote about your own process of selection. This one is mature I think.

2018-03-03 Asperitas_0090 asr uitsnede klein

Evening Asperitas on the other side of the pond

Participant

Love the undulations of Asperitas at either end of the day. Not so gentle looking is the image below. While the earth stood still, the sky appeared to shimmy to the music of the spheres.IMG_7993_croppedSkyquake

Participant

I don’t agree Keelin. I experience Skyquake as a very gentle image with its upward streaks making a fine composition and emphasizing the movement in it.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0224 sat1x s2h3 klein

Glowing in different colors

Participant

It must be the quakey Californian in me, Hans, that makes such movement associations. I like your interpretation much better and thank you for this new vision. Your Glowing in Different Colors is a beauty! Those soft colors and shapes are something to relax in.

Below is one with contrast pushed to show the little hint of color in the breath of the clouds.

IMG_8210_Breath of the Clouds

Participant

I didn’t realize the quakeyness of California Keelin, living myself in a rather geological stable country. Much under sea level but stable. Saying that I realize there is an exception for a small part of this already small country where we extracted that much gas from the bottom that the houses over there now are shaking. Great political issue over here.

Participant

I hold my breath …. Any idea what the little hint of color was, Keelin. Maybe a part of a faint halo?

2018-03 Luchten_0116 asr c klein

Composition In Only Blues And Whites

Participant

Your guess is correct, Hans, I believe the hint of color was part of a very faint halo. Worth a pause even though barely there.

Your Composition In Only Blues And Whites is a two-toned beauty! Love the impression of frothy sea foam contrasting with the vertical play of those soft upwards strokes. This is one I will revisit often, along with Michael’s Morning Asperitas.

Keeping with the theme of Blue and White, here is one from a series in the archives.

IMG_5127_A Dance in Blue And WhiteA Dance In Blue And White

Participant

Ah, great Dance! I also stick to the blues and whites.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0276 s2h60c100 klein

Relief

Participant

And wonderful texture, Hans! More blue and white below…

IMG_8241_Cascade of Blues2Cascade of Blues

Participant

Your Cascade of Blues has a lot of movement in it, Keelin. love the composition.

In the sunrise and sunset thread Michael posted  a beautiful red glowing Arizona sunset #53. It just looks like falling light on a ribbed glass window. Something alike I spotted while trying to catch a corona.

2017-07-31 Parhelic_0028 asr klein

Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

These iridescent clouds were the closest to a full circle around the sun than any I have ever photographed.  Our local meteorologist said they were just iridescent as far as he knew.

Thanks!

Ramona

IMG_0340edita

Participant

Nice corona ramona (quite the same as iridescence). The corona looks a bit distorted. Might be because of a difference in drop sizes left and right from the sun.Very nice.

Participant

Thanks, Hans!  Yes, it does look a bit lopsided, LOL!

Ramona

Participant

A resplendent image, Ramona! You bring new meaning to “an eye for an eye” as you certainly have an eye for beauty. And it’s as if the Eye in the sky were looking at you as well!

Participant

Thank you, Keelin!  I have had much time on my hands the last year or so and lots of clouds to observe, photograph, and learn about!  I greatly appreciate the kind words!

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0640 asr klein

Iriscopy

Participant

Hans, Iriscopy is like a view of what is always there but cannot be seen without a moment of stillness. While I cannot contribute a “corona” to this thread, here is a little something to add to the celebration.

IMG_8277_Tiara2Tiara

Participant

I love those words, Keelin.  And the tiara is darling!

Participant

Arizona Monsooner #51

aug0117b5367

Participant

I could sit and study the layers of these clouds for a very long time!  Beautiful photo!

Participant

The tiara is a jewel Keelin! I suppose this mighty King of clouds on Michael’s Arizona Monsooner is showing up to collect it for his queen. Great view!

2017-07-19 Cum_0061 asr klc S klein

Bad Tempered

Participant

Love the dramatic contrast on this image!  Between this photo and the previous one, by Michael, I could sit for an entire day studying the wide variety of clouds and layers here!

Participant

Thank you for kind comments, Hans and Ramona. And Michael, what a zinger you’ve captured in Arizona Monsooner #51! Those dwarfed details below the cloudscape put its vastness into jaw dropping perspective.

And as Bad Tempered as your cloud creature above may appear, Hans, I suspect a visit from the little winged wonder below will put things right in no time. I will send him across the pond.

IMG_8230_Bluebird of HappinessBluebird of Happiness

Participant

Thanks Keelin and Hans, There is a fascinating scale of energy witnessed when watching a cumulonimbus evolve.

Arizona Color #87

aug2716b6704

Participant

Your Arizona Color #87 looks mirrored on a water-surface Michael. Nice catch.

The Bluebird of Happiness arrived well on this side of the pond Keelin. So thank you. It certainly helps against bed temper because it was yesterday ….

2018-03-18 Wolken_0123 klc contrast klein

Lenticular Partytime

Participant

Arizona Monsooner #87

aug2716b6702

Participant

Another fine asperitas monsooner Michael. Nice contrast between the blues and the whiter part in the middle. I saw us next to each other on the gallery today. Nice asperitas too that one!

I caught a lot of iridescence lately.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0203 asr klein

A Dowsing Rod?

Participant

Beautiful catches above! Michael, I love the blues in your Arizona Color #87 and the way the white clouds are so gently held by those in Arizona Monsooner #87. And Hans, you have a way of coaxing iridescence from the sky like no one else! Is that how you do it, with a Dowsing Rod? Looks like it’s vibrating with joy.

Here’s one with contrast bumped to highlight the mix of colorful elements.

IMG_8483_ColorplayColorplay

Participant

Thanks Keelin.  Thanks Ian for placing the thin asperitas shot I sent ,in to the Gallery.  Monet had his lily pond, I have Phoenix Arizona’s Asperitas. Just like Monet made numerous lily pond paintings , I of course, took quite a few shots including the gallery shot. So below is one I also like.

aug2017b5813b

Participant

Thank you Keelin and Ramona. I like to look for iridescence. Once the circumstances are right one only has to scan the sky with the tele trying to avoid lensflare and wait for instances of beauty and click. No hesitation allowed, because each opportunity is so short lived. Afterwards it is fun selecting the ones that will do.

And I like your Asperitas as well Michael. You have quite a pond in Arizona to catch your fishes from!

2018-02 Luchten_0675asr klein

Mainly Blue

Participant

IMG_0586editaHans, I love your iridescence photos! I love capturing the colors, also! This photo is not iridescent, but rather an odd color. There were multiple tornadoes in the surrounding areas when this was taken, although we did not have one at our location. I posted this on Facebook and numerous people commented that they also saw strange colors in the sky after the storms. The skies were actually very yellow before this, but I was not able to capture an image of that.

Participant

Ramona, this gorgeous color must have been mesmerizing!

Participant

Oh, it was, Keelin!  But like many other sky phenomenon, it was fleeting!

Participant

That’s a truely weird color Ramona. Never seen this color over here in the sky. It will have to do with the surrounding tornadoes?

Participant

It must have been from the tornadoes, Hans, as I have never seen anything like this in our skies, either.  And I spend a LOT of time looking at the sky, LOL!  This was looking eastward in the early evening and it doesn’t even come close to any sunset colors I have seen in the eastern sky.  They have confirmed six tornadoes that evening and are still looking at damage to see if there were more than that!

Participant

Another Phoenix

aug2017b5793

Participant

That is a restful looking Phoenix Michael.

2017-09 Charigny_0101 uisnede asr

No birds eye but the eye of a bird

Participant

Cool!  I have mostly seen iridescence around the sun in ring type formations – this horizontal iridescence is fascinating!

Participant

Sublime, Hans! Like liquid gold dreaming of color.

Participant

IceCapades

sept0615b8953

Participant

You’ve really captured the spirit of it, Michael! Bravo!

Participant

Nice wordplay as well, Michael.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0289 ac klein

Soft Parade

Participant

Wow! What an astonishing collection of color above, Michael, Hans, and Ramona. No color left behind! Even the more monochrome images have splendor to spare. Below, a little festival in blue and white.

IMG_7996_FestivalFestival

Participant

IMG_4572editlowAmazing images!  Such a wide variety of clouds in each image!  So much to learn!  I am uploading my images to Amazon photos (or trying to) and I ran across this one from 2014. At that time, we had the entire sky in our backyard, with no electrical lines whatsoever.  I miss that.  I am not good at names, I am afraid!  Might call this one “Emerging”?

Participant

I’m not good with names either, but this one leaps to mind, how about “coming out of hiding”?

Ah the wires, the bane of cloud photographers. Or any photographers.

Participant

What a delightful contrast, Hans!! It’s almost like “night and day”! I am having problems posting this evening, so forgive me if this comes through twice. I have tried many times to post some photos, too, so I sure hope they don’t come through the queue and ALL show up at some point!

Participant

OK, I finally got a reply to post, but it posted on the wrong image! Oh well… I like your name better than mine, George! Thanks for thinking of it!

Participant

That seems to be a mighty pileus formation over a already large cumulus, Ramona! very nice.

And the Festival by Keelin is something to enjoy in many ways! explosion of blues and whites.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0185 uitsnede asr klein

Modest Grays

Participant

Hans, I posted a reply to this image, but it ended up as a reply to George’s image – so go check there! Things aren’t working well for me this evening on the forum!

Participant

Hans, your lower grays look like a water color. Incredible!

Participant

What a beautiful and mysterious image, Ramona! And Hans, your Modest Grays form a stunning composition. I agree with George, it’s quite like a watercolor painting – one that would surely inspire Haiku or some bit of poetry, I imagine. Below, something simple and somewhat linguistic.IMG_8352_Tilde & O.Tilde and O

Participant

Keelin – I love the tiny circle on the right side of the image! I find these scattered among clouds now and then, too!

Participant

And a big THANK YOU to Gavin and CAS webmaster for fixing the recent glitch before our communal itch got the best of us!

Participant

IMG_9814editaI shot this with my macro lens – which I have been delighted to discover that it takes much more than just macro shots. The depth of these colors were simply amazing to see!  Oh YAY!!! It works today!  I thought for certain that I was doing something wrong!

Participant

IMG_2539editaOne more, now that this site is working again. I love watching clouds go past the moon some evenings. This image was taken with a fairly slow shutter speed, so the moon stays the same but the clouds rushed past and were captured in movement.

Participant

That is a subtle novelty Keelin: a linguistic cloud feature. very nice.

Thank you George and Keelin for the watercolor appreciation. And nice corona Ramona (oops this was not intended rhyme, but too nice to rewrite). Your slow shutter speed capture of the moon works very well. Smooth passing clouds.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0137 ac klein

Distant Hills

Participant

Arizona Wind

sept1216b7331

Participant

Arizona Monsoon#77

sept0715b9101

Participant

Lovely and alluring as that subtle iridescence is in you Distant Hills, Hans, I hope you will come back from there. You are much missed in our forum missives!

And Michael, that Arizona Wind is quite the force, n’est-ce pas? We are fortunate that you are there and share the results of its creations here. AM#77 is a layer of labor built to perfection!

The image below, taken on a wild stormy afternoon, has more of that watercolor effect we’ve all seen from time to time. It has a way of stilling my step.

WatercolorWatercolor Bloom

Participant

Thank you Keelin. You already noticed that your sleuthy figural did find me in no time?

Last week only beauties gathered on this thread. Arizona is a great hunting ground for impressive pictures Michael, as is your King of clouds (in all of its phases of development) on the gallery.

Windy and stormy maybe but spotting a beautiful Watercolor Bloom is very much worth to still your steps Keelin.

Next one I spotted last Saturday while at different places in the sky asperitas showed up. On this part of the sky the asperitas maybe was not that articulated but what struck me was the broad rim of precipitation in the background under. Nevertheless beautiful and warm weather. No rain has fallen.

2018-04-01 Charigny_0152 asr klein

Participant

Arizona Color#53

sept0616b6956

Participant

Steamy Arizona Color Michael.

Looking left from where I took my former color picture more clearly asperitas.

2018-04-01 Charigny_0151 asr klein

French Asperitas

Participant

Arizona Colour#19

sept0616b6987

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0256 klc klein

Dutch Colour (unnumbered)

Participant

Hans, my first thought when I saw your precipitation under Asperitas was that I would gladly be drenched by the oncoming rain to see such a beauty. Then Michael, you make me smile as Arizona Color #53 follows with perfect timing. Refreshing!

French Asperitas is also lovely, Hans, with its bluegrey shades so close to matching those in Michael’s image above it, but this time with horizontal undulations.

And now I see the hues in Arizona Color #9 and Dutch Colour (unnumbered) also perfectly matched! I searched for something similar in archives here, but can come no closer that this one below which has neither the rich blues nor depth of golden hues. Still, it made for a splendid start to the day.

IMG_7143_MorningGloryMorning Glory

Participant

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0061 s10ho wand sel ac klein

And then there was this bridge….

Lynda Price avatarLynda Price
      Participant

pretoria clouds 2pretoria clouds 3

A friend took these photos recently in Pretoria, South Africa. African dust usually makes beautiful sunsets, but none of us have seen this before. It stretched right across the sky. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d be truly grateful.

Participant

Hello Linda, what a beautiful pictures of an extraordinary cloud scenery with strange colors! Why not submit one to the gallery? For sure Ian will classify these clouds with more certainty than I can and maybe even with an explanation.

Nevertheless I give it a try and to me the straight lines of clouds seem to be altocumulus undulatus, but with an extreme length and straightness. I think that is the intriguing part for which you like to have any suggestions. Unfortunately no clue from me. Who else?

Lynda Price avatarLynda Price
      Participant

Many thanks Hans. I’ll submit the photos now. Best regards, Lynda

Participant

Welcome Lynda. Did my eyes betray me or did I see some minutes ago your question how to submit a picture to the gallery? I suppose you found out already and edited the reply? So did I on my turn.

Success and have fun cloudspotting! I hope to see your picture on the gallery.

Participant

Arizona Color#39

aug1216b6595

Participant

What a mighty sight Michael, cacti against a background of a towering cumuli. I like the blues you managed to develop in the sky very much. And so I like the tender hues and the freshness in Morning Glory by Keelin above. Indeed it makes for a splendid start to the day at the moment I open the forum for new surprises.

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0076 ns47-122 klein

Lenticular Chaos

Participant

Ahh the blues….I don’t kno if its the Canon CMOS ‘es or the adobe software or what…but when making adjustments to contrast and saturation and etc etc..I usually get to a point where there is a ” stripe” on the left  1/3 of the photo where magenta is over stated and a stripe on the right 1/3 of the  photo that also is overstated in magenta leaving the center 1/3 appearing slightly  over tinted in green. So i us the gradation tool in Adobe Lightroom to decrease magenta by around 8-9 increments on both sides and then..Decrease Temperature Over All by an increment or two. Decrease Temp makes for the bluer( cool) hues. Then go ahead make fine tune adjustments with vibrant, saturation, etc etc.  The above shot has an overall magenta tint because it was later in the afternoon and  distance.

Participant

Thanks for explaining Michael. To me it seems to be a rather labor-intensive process of development you have chosen, but I certainly like the result.

Participant

This morning I spotted next one which reminded me of the straight lines of altocumulus (a friend 0f) Lynda spotted.

2018-04 Wolken_0062 asr klein

Participant

Arizona Colour#38

aug1216b6581

Participant

2016-05 Lot_0157 asr klein

French Colour (unnumbered)

Viewing 71 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.