Cloudscapes Volume VI

Cloudscapes Volume VI

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloudscapes Volume VI

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Cloudscapes Volume V ended with a marvelous post by Richard in ir. Was that nacreous, asked Richard. Impossible to tell when it is in B&W. Still I suppose it is not nacreous because ‘an evening in the northwest’ shows a cirrus sky and nacreous clouds are wave clouds all be it at high altitude.

Let’s first check what’s behind us in Volume V (always worthwhile) and find the second last and beautiful ‘So Promising’ by Keelin. I hope this Volume will fulfill these promises and be equally beautiful.

So let’s escape in this new volume.

2021-09 Charigny (195)-1

Floating

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Hans, for starters I really enjoyed your gallery photo last week.  Some yen and yang.  Super colors.  And Floating adds for joy too.

I Just Have To Get Out MoreP1100053 (2)

Participant

Open CountryP1030165 (2)

Participant

Thank you Ruth. I understand why you Just Have To Get Out More. That’s a great sky just as is Open Country. There is so much space around and air to breath.

2021-09 Charigny (229)-1

Just A Glimpse Of What’s Beyond

Richard Bergeman avatarRichard Bergeman
      Participant

hans, that is one mesmerizing ‘glimpse’ you have there. …. other worldly — at first glimpse it appears i am looking out a plane window thru some scattered cumulus toward a field of lenticularus ….. or am i seeing something else?

here’s a dramatic storm cloud that fortuitously swept over a spur called pigeon butte that i went out to photograph last week

pigeon butte (chemapho)1

and a second pic tracking it as it head east

passing storm+road(chemapho)

Participant

Ok, I did get out, so look out.  Here they come!P1011665 (2)

Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan Bulman
      Participant

What to say?

IMG_20210708_163653 (2)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan.
      Participant

IMG_20210708_163615

Participant

DSC_0423

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Hans, what a beautiful, and almost other-worldly start to Volume VI! And the feeling just continues with Just A Glimpse… Another extraordinary shot and absolute favorite.

I’d like to float along with you, Ruth, and breathe in those big open skies you share with us here. Even a night flight looks promising, according to your Gallery-featured photo of a gorgeous full moon and clouds over Bigfork (congratulations!). Will you be on the lookout for an Aurora Borealis show tonight? Hope you’re treated to the extraordinary treat!

Richard, your photos above really captured the quiet drama of that storm that I’m sure did not remain quiet. Great compositions.

And Duncan, that’s a sky that looks like it could give you quite a wild ride. Their beauty is so beckoning! Did you get into one of those planes in the last photo for a closer look?

IMG_0916_Before the RainBefore The Rain

Participant

Keelin,

Unfortunately, I didn’t fly that day or that week as there was a regional gliding competition in progress.

Participant

Your ir-images are alienating and appealing as well Richard. Great storm cloud.

Here they come, Ruth. A great view it is.

Duncan, that’s a great sky to fly. Must be breath taking.

Thank you Keelin for kind words. The birds in Before The Rain must have seen it coming. There is a lot happening in that sky. And do you allow me to borrow your title for my next one?

2021-10 Charigny (46)-1

Participant

Hans,

Every time I fly it’s different and I think that’s part of the appeal, that and floating free amongst the clouds.

Participant

Hans, your recent photo is looking like the southwest of the states.  Not so, but I always love a stormy system.

Duncan,  I love your big clouds and your sweet cat.

Keelin,  I did head out to try to catch some northern lights last week, nothing showed up.  I was out there in the dark with camera, butP1011409 (2) headed home.  Always a disappointment until next time.

Which Way Is West

Participant

Ruth,

Her name is Lexi and yes she is very sweet, usually when treats are on offer.

The one advantage of where I live is the big sky which makes up for the boring flat landscape.

Participant

The brooding sky

IMG_20211102_155424

The mothership landing

IMG_20211102_155825

Autumnal sky

Just right of centre there are 3 paramotor pilots enjoying the calm evening air.

IMG_20211102_160651

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Duncan, with shots of Wales and Scotland I am pleased you are keeping the flag flying for the UK. I think I can see the odd paramotor with a magnifying glass. But I am reminded of a top Forum contributor from a decade or more back. He lived in NW London but rode a motorbike down to Lasham Airfield in Hampshire to go gliding
        https://www.lashamgliding.com/
        I wonder if you know him. I remember he went on gliding holidays to Cumbria, UK and the Pyrenees.

EDIT:
        1) Having searched ‘glider’ the pilot was called Mike. Which maybe was why another Mike changed to Michael?
        2) Having searched ‘Lasham’ he was “MR FlyByWire”
        https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/forums/search/Lasham/
        3) Mike Rubin

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
        Participant

Not a name I know but I’ve no doubt others at the club will know him.

Participant

Two very different sunsets.  One with grey subdued colours the other a fiery deep orange and yellow.

120511 009w

2009_06140019w

Participant

The painted sky.

Participant

Yes, of course, Hans! There’s a multitude of images that title would fit. ;)  And I can almost taste the rain in your latest one above. Yummmm!

Ruth, I wouldn’t care so much which direction that road led. It beckons! Very sorry to hear Northern Lights did not dance within view for you. Hope the next opportunity comes soon.

Duncan, what gorgeous photos! The one with grey subdued colors is a favorite.

Rumor has it, there will be cause for celebration here tomorrow…IMG_0907_More Rain On The WayMore Rain On The Way

Participant

A Welsh Summer Sky

Borth 001 (3)

Participant

A Scottish summer sky.

hol110811 089 (2)

Participant

Duncan, all fine photos you have shared.  Subdued is my favorite.

Keelin, yes more rain on the way.  We do support moisture after a hot dry summer.

Gray Works

P1100253 (2)

Participant

Love your sunset with the crepuscular rays followed by the red sunset, Duncan.

Hope you have had the much needed rain Keelin. I can see it was on its way. As well in Gray Works Ruth.

2021-09 Charigny (234)-1

Crestscape

Participant

Lovely photos, Duncan. I can almost feel that damp sand in in A Scottish summer sky.

Ruth, looks like you had a skyful of the wet stuff there. That hint of blue in the water is a nice touch.

And Hans, Crestscape reminds me of a musical arrangement of subtle complexities. If I put my ear to it, what might I hear?

IMG_9370_Rain a PlentyRain Aplenty

Participant

Two cloudscapes from today.  The low sun off the end of the runway makes for a tricky landing.

IMG_20211117_140842

IMG_20211117_142322

Participant

you folks have certainly been busy while i was away — here’s a high sky over fort rock that i came across one late afternoon last week while poking around the oregon high desert

ft.rock_vert for web

Participant

and a few days earlier, while in astoria, i stepped out of my motel room and looked up to see this bridge to the heavens

sky bridge

Participant

Hans, crestscape is like reaching up in space.  I just read from Trouw.  So enjoyed the article.  Make us proud to be spotters!

Keelin, Rain aplenty has us excited about needed moisture.

Duncan, a lovely runway you have captured.

Richard,  Oregon treated you nicely.  Your desert B & W has me looking for lizards.

Cloud Creatures

P1011058 (2)

Participant

Keelin, I like your association with subtle and complex music  in Crestscape. It would be my favorite kind of music although it can get very stormy too. Just the complete spectrum. And I see that now at last the clouds in Rain Aplenty provides for the much wanted water. Love the diagonal shot.

Duncan you captured some great skies. And Richard your ir’s are fanatastic as ever. The oregon high desert is my favorite.

Ruth thank you. Your Cloud Creatures are great. A good eye for strange forms in the clouds is a true joy! It is also great you found the article in the Dutch newspaper Trouw on the Community with the history of the CAS and the way Gavin started the CAS. Always a great story to read with lots of humor. And now you know also the dog in my avatar is a cloudspotter too. It is so funny to be in it too.

Especially for you this proof of the cloudspotting dog at the place where I can watch a cumulonimbus approach or be underneath it getting wet.

2021-11 Flo (2)-1

Rainbowdog

Participant

Hans, I have a cloud spotting dog too.  I can’t imagine not being out and about without my guy, Frank.  Your Rainbowdog is a sweetie.

P1000475 (2)

Birds On Thin Wire

Participant

P1011369 (2) Off Center

Participant

No internet for 4 days, I felt lost.

Crazy Clouds Having FunP1011456 (2)

Participant

Duncan, beautiful compositions in your cloudscapes above.

Richard, I especially like your B&W shot of Oregon’s high dissent. It is simply stunning.

Hans, love your Rainbowdog. Looks happy to be sharing the wet sand and sea with you, even with wild weather on its way.

Ruth, what a fun line-up of Cloud Creatures and cloud watchers you’ve spotted. Off Center is a beauty, so matter which way you look at it. Clouds below are ready to join your Crazy Clouds in the fun.

IMG_1187_All Coming TogetherAll Coming Together

Participant

Keelin, fun cloud grouping.  I am thinking like a family photo.

Fellowship

P1011165 (2)

Participant

Folks, the sky has been quite bland of late so here’s one from a previous time long ago.

2009_06130011 (2)

Participant

Duncan,  I am a sucker for those beautiful rays.

Bouncing Along

P1011046 (2)

Participant

Ruth,  me too.

There’s something magical and ethereal about them.

Participant

Time For Breakfast  ( cloud spotting slow for me lately -snowing ) P1090419 (2)

Participant

Room To RoamP1090455 (2)

Participant

All Coming Together by Keelin and then Fellowship by Ruth. Love them both and they are quite different. Lots of details and structure in All Coming Together while there is very little detail in Fellowship. To me it seems a quite unique sky you captured Ruth.

And then I can feel the Room To Roam, Ruth. Air to breeze, it is a refreshing vista.

2022-01 Wolken (69)-1

Clotted Cream

Participant

Hans,  love your title.  I feel like grabbing a bowl of ice cream.

Group Therapy MeetingP1011410 (2)

Participant

Duncan, thanks for diving into your archives to share that beautiful sunset with dramatic rays. Gorgeous colors there.

Hans, I’m not sure if I want to ski on or consume that luscious photo. I think I’ll join Ruth with a bowl.

And Ruth, I love the softness you’re able to capture in many of your photos. The foggy morning in Bigfork, featured on the CAS Gallery last week, is just one of them. Lovely. Your latest clever title above inspired this one below.

IMG_1559_Separation AnxietySeparation Anxiety

Participant

AA Meeting Tonight ( may help any Anxiety issues ).P1070488 (2)

Participant

Looks like those clouds are heading off to join some kindred spirits, Ruth.

While taking the photo below, I didn’t notice the cloud comma above a subtle heart emoji. Could it be a fragment of message written on the wind?

IMG_1672_Love LetterLove letter

Participant

Keelin, so many great posting lately.  Thanks for sharing your love letter.  Our therapy sessions help.

Rack Them UpP1100803 (2)

Participant

The Blue Plate SpecialP1022383 (2)

Participant

Love the dramatic sky you captured in Rack Them Up, Ruth. And Blue Plate Special is a very clever title for the sky’s daily servings.

Below is more of a Blue Paint Special, apparently done with a very worn brush.IMG_1601_Weathered PaintbrushWeathered Paintbrush

Participant

Keelin, love your paint special.  Hoping my blue plate may make the gallery.  We’ll see.

Any thoughts?  Is this possibly some Fluctus.  Thanks, spotters.P1022388 (2)

Participant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/news-in-pictures-wednesday-march-2-2022-rpwgtkt6x
      The fluctus picture appeared in The Times, UK, today.

https://extremeweather.club/storm-chaser-photo-gallery/explore/lukas-gallo

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      • This reply was modified 2 years ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Participant

Ruth, I see your Blue Plate Special was served up on the Gallery—a treat for everyone to enjoy! As for Fluctus, I know it is quite a fleeting formation, so not sure if what you’ve captured might be the tail end of such a occurance.

There was hope for rain here last week, but, alas, only a drop or two touched down.

IMG_1992_Deceptively DarkDeceptively Dark

Participant

Keelin, I think I was hoping too much on the potential Fluctus.  Just not all there.  Another day another sky.  Your Dark sky is perfect for reading a book.  Peaceful.

Montana CanopyP1011932 (2)

Participant

Ruth, your Blue Plate Special indeed made the gallery in a different version. Love it. And then you also asked about the possible fluctus in your post of Febuary 28th. It is certainly close but it might be Holmboe instability that you spotted. That is a more chaotic instability in shearing layers of air.

Your Weathered Paintbrush makes fantastic results in the sky, Keelin. I would have bet that your Deceptively Dark sky would have led to a beneficial downpour. Alas indeed.

2022-02 Ardennen (24)-1

Distant Travelers

Participant

Hans, thanks for your review of my cloud in question.  Fluctus can be tricky to spot.  I really like The Distant Travelers.  The layers of clouds and grays are eye popping.

Keelin, your Dark photo looks like it could have leaked some moisture.  I will take the rain over snow this time of the year.

Looks Atomic

P1022043 (2)

Participant

Oh, but Ruth, your snow scenes are captivating! I just hope you’re keeping warm enough there. Got hot cocoa?

And what a gorgeous photo is your Distant Travelers, Hans. Where are they heading?

Here are a couple who look to be in a hurry to join their journey.

IMG_2029_Travelling CompanionsTraveling Companions

Participant
      Participant

Keelin,  good travel buddies you have with you.  Hope they bring lunch.

Some Serious CirrusP1022563 (2)

Participant

Hoping for a Horseshoe Vortex.  The imagine dispersed quickly.P1110174 (2)P1110175 (2)Fortune Cookie

Participant

Ruth, looks like you caught that Horseshoe Vortex just in time — you are lucky!  Serious Cirrus can’t help but bring a smile. And the stunning photo of clouds over the Mission Mountain Range featured on the Gallery last week is a beauty.

This was a most welcome site a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_2030_Any Moment NowAny Moment Now

Participant

Keelin, a big Wow to Any Moment.  The colors and movement are inspiring.  Thanks so much for your kind comments.  I know I so appreciate the praise and camaraderie.  That’s what makes the forums work.

Subdued Space ShipsP1110164 (2)

Participant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/high-art-stunning-drone-photographs-capture-uks-beauty-3zbkj78g6

If this is sunset in the first picture then my mother was born across the bridge some way to the left.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Participant

Thick Bowl Of Soup – With Carrots

P1100307 (2)

Participant

A Family VacationP1110260 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! Love those subtle Ships and the clever titles you come up with for your photos. That bowl of soup looks deliciously nourishing. A nice treat on a cold day.

IMG_2204_Basking In The WarmthBasking In The Warmth

Participant

Keelin, I do enjoy fun mixed up titles.  Basking is a super photo.  Boy our photos have taken to the Big Screen with the newest web page changes.

Needing Popcorn for the Show

P1070069 (2)

Participant

A Gentle RainP1110397 (2)

Participant

Scattered ThoughtsP1022781 (2)

Participant

Down BlanketP1022424 (2)

Participant

‘Basking in he warmth’ is fantastic Keelin. Do I mistake or is there also a 22 degrees halo at play?

I really love your ‘Gentle rain’ Ruth. And a great horseshoe vortex as well. You have been lucky!

And now I have some trouble to upload a picture. That’s a pity. I will try later.

Participant

Thank you for kind comments, Hans. I’m hoping you can post photos again soon. Did you see suggestion in B&W topic? I’ll copy it below in case you see this first.

Thanks to you too, Ruth. And I love that Gentle Rain you captured. That curve in the clouds midway up is a nice bit of cloud ‘arch’itecture. Hope you were sheltered there.

IMG_2437_Light In The Distance

Light In The Distance

Click the usual icon for inserting an image, then click and hover over the cropped writing on the right. A window should open where you can search your files for the photo you want to upload.

Participant

Hi folks,

Have been out of it for a little while due to illness then busy with stuff but now I’m back.

I see everyone is still keeping their respective heads in the clouds.

Like sailing boats, this flotilla of clouds arrived over the airfield in the late afternoon yesterday.

IMG_20220523_163708

Participant

Welcome back, Duncan. Glad things are looking up again health-wise and time-wise for you. ;) And wow, what a flotilla you found on the field. Love the dramatic lighting.

We recently had some rather capricious winds here…

IMG_2575_Mimicry

Mimicry

Participant

Thanks, Keelin.

Well observed capture of the fractal relationship between the trees and the clouds.

Participant

Keelin,  were you on laying on your back for that fun picture?

Duncan,  always nice to see your beautiful photos.

P1011266 (2)

Marching Clouds

Participant

Thanks, Ruth,  your photo looks like one of those peaceful milky sunsets that you get on a warm evening when everything is quiet and the day is melting away into tomorrow.

Participant

I can see why you might wonder, Ruth! As it turns out, I was just looking up beneath the overhanging branches when I noticed the symmetry. Nice marchers you’ve got there sandwiched between the darker clouds and deeper land and tree line color.

IMG_1604_A Moon In June

A Moon In June

Participant

Keelin, perfect moon in June.  Raining here, likely not see a full moon this evening, darn.  Off camping to one of my favorite areas for cloud watching.

My Hot SpotP1000592 (2)

Participant

Clear Sky and Fresh AirP1120248 (2)

Participant

I can see why you’d brave the rainy weather to camp there, Ruth. What a view of your big sky! And as you say, clear and fresh.

Got a bit crowded here in a couple of directions.

IMG_2245_Above and Beyond

Above and Beyond

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello my dear friends! I have big news… I am going to be a college man now! In fact, I will be going up to Michigan to study Meteorology. I am indebted to this place and community for driving my love for clouds and the weather. Anyways, enough about me, here is a roll cloud approaching Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan.

DSC_0393-min

Sky Dune

Participant

Here is the back end of that dissipating roll cloud. Hope you all are well. Enjoy!

DSC_0434-min

Hauntingly Beautiful

Participant

Congratulations, Gregory! May the all the stars — and, naturally, the clouds! ;) — align for you in your upcoming adventures and endeavors. You’ve captured that dissipating roll cloud in a most artistic and dramatic fashion. Here’s cheers to you and your future plans!

IMG_1588_Up! Up, And Away!

Up! Up, And Away!

Participant

I was for too long absent in this topic, but be sure I enjoyed every post. There are so many marvelous vista’s to admire. Looks Atomic, posted by Ruth in March, is amazing as is Basking In The Warmth by Keelin. Both so different and both equally beautiful in their own ways.

Gregory, your Hauntingly Beautiful is indeed what the title says. I love the composition of foreground with this decaying roll cloud above. I wish you lots of success with your plans. Next one must be for you.

2022-06 Wolken (127)-1

Heralding Change

Participant

This quote is often attributed to Leonardo da Vinci.

If he did say it then it begs the question, how could he have known?  Although it seems unlikely that he would have experienced flight.  I’d like to think that he did.

flight

Participant

I thank you all for your kind words! I hope that I can do well in my studies and always keep an eye skyward.

DSC_4275-min

Storm above the Corn

Participant

Gregory, wonderful photos from you.  Sounds like you will be busy with weather studies.  Congratulations.

Hans, I think our photos could be close in likeness.P1033198 (2)

Participant

I see the likeness, Ruth. Keelin, with Up, Up And Away you must have foreseen the post by Duncan. Must be wonderful to be among the clouds, Duncan.

2022-07 Wolken (33)-1

Wild Sky

Participant

Hans,

It is a privilege to be able to sail aloft amongst the clouds.  I would highly recommend it to everyone to experience the sensation of flying free and silently amongst the clouds.

Participant

Hans,  Your wild sky is very inviting.  Getting warm here this summer.  Your picture is as refreshing as a sprinkler.  Let me run around.

Just In, A Summer ShowerP1120453 (2)

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#61

oct0921a5237BArt

Participant

Wild Skies, indeed—from everyone here! Each leaving me to breathe in joy your various vistas.

IMG_2247_Fields Of Wonder

Fields Of Wonder

Participant

High and Heaped, nothing but Altocumulus

IMG_20220724_133724

Participant

Hello everyone!

I recently went flying with a colleague I work with, and I’ve got admit, it was a fantastic experience. She even told me she might be able to teach me how to fly! (That is, once she gets her CFI license)

It was a wonderful experience and I will be sure to do it again.

DSC_0851.NEF-min

Fly Like an Eagle

Participant

Gregory  hope you get to be a pilot.  If not, you have a ride.

Layered CakeP1110115 (2)

Participant

Duncan, your skyful of bite-size Altocumulus looks delicious, as does your Layered Cake, Ruth.

And Gregory, what a treat you had to be right up there with the clouds. Hope you get to do it again soon.

IMG_2145_FilamentalFilamental

Participant

Keelin, what a wonderful picture and feeling you created.

Clouds Needing A BathP1090365 (2)

Participant

Thanks for your kind comment, Ruth. Your Clouds Needing A Bath have a silvery tone to them which I hope would not wash off. But here’s some sudsy spray if you wish…IMG_2494_Lacunosus_Sudsy SpraySudsy Spray

PS: And congrats on your bright gold outlined Ninepipes sunset featured on the Gallery a couple of days ago!

Participant

Keelin,  thanks so much.  As you may know the Ninepipes is a special place for me to cloud dream.  Sudsy is fun and something my dog does not like.

On Top Of The WorldP1110123 (2)

Participant

I think it is a wrap here with#100.P1120457 (2)

Participant

The clouds didn’t disappoint on Cloud Appreciation Day.

Room for one more?

IMG_20220916_132840e

Viewing 91 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.