Cloudscapes Volume III

Cloudscapes Volume III

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloudscapes Volume III

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Last July, Hans launched us into the wild ride of Cloudscapes Volume II with a most appropriate image titled Life Is A Carnival and wrapped us up with A Floating Refreshment. It holds a delightful and delicious collection. Whatever Volume III may bring remains to be seen, but I predict it will hold no less magic and mystery.

For fans of paredolia, someone on the left side in the image below is…

IMG_1493__Watching In WaitWatching In Wait

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thank you Keelin for this nice and pareidolic start of Volume III. I also Watch and Wait for what´s more to come. Thus you already started with the magic and mystery , so let´s continue with..

2018-10 Wolken_0070-3

Conflicting Ripples

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Arizona Cloudscape 300

april0118b2004

Participant

Great pattern you spotted in # 300 Michael! Nice colors also.

2018-09 Charigny_0256-3

A Lensscape

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

A fascinating start to Vol III leaves me in awe of all your observations.

In gratitude,  hygge

Participant

Love the frosted fern appearance of your Cloudscape #300, Michael, and the soft gentle curve of your Lensscape, Hans. And thank you for kind words, Hygge!

Below is from a short series taken while I was in Kittredge. I’ll be heading back there in a couple of days. Fortunately, things are looking up for my sis — as will I be, keeping an eye on those Colorado clouds.

IMG_3336_ShadowPlayShadowPlay

Participant

On BBC TV Weather

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weatherwatchers/report/e2c0d141-6534-48d9-b349-0aa1dd5e8f72/

Not that far from me, but I am still having to water a few new plants in the garden.

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#301

april2218b2313

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#302

jan1419b1663

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #303

sept3018b5506

Participant

Warm greetings to all from Colorado, where looking up definitely helps keep me from feeling down while continuing to care-take an ailing sister. It may be just my imagination, but clouds seem to dance a quicker jig across the sky here. They also feel much closer at this Rock Mountain high elevation of 6850′.

As with my previous visit to this tiny town of Kittredge, I’ve had little time to share cloud photos, but have been taking moments whenever possible to savor the images posted to the forum and CAS gallery. Many thanks to all for the spirit refreshers.

IMG_4070_Cloudscape

breathing in the sky

taking care while care-taking

energies restored

Participant

I am happy to see posts by you again Keelin. You composed a lovely haiku underneath a wonderful picture. Love it. You make your refreshers yourself I should say. Your sister must be very happy with you and I hope she is able to enjoy the clouds herself too to refresh her spirits likewise.

2018-10 Wolken_0061-3

Some clouds seem to unload lots of their energy over mankind. May this energy land on the right place in Kittredge.

Participant

Thank you so much for kind words, Hans, and for your remarkable image above.

Still here…

Gently Held In PlaceGently Held In Place

Participant

2019-05 Wolken_0016-3

You’re Welcome

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #304

may1417b3357

Participant

Love You’re Welcome, Hans, beautifully captured. And Michael, #304 looks still to be in motion!

Another image from Colorado below…

Light Rain

Weathered Sky

Participant

Photo Gallery

Hans, turning to the 1JUN2019 calendar page I see you have a vista too from a nearby field*. Everyone should have one, but especially Clouspotters – it is uplifting. For once I have observed something similar to a Forum image – undulatus was the trigger for my joining CAS; for twice I was at Hillier Gardens but had forgotten to take the camera.

* Your picture link is in this post but does not seem to be displayed by CAS.

Participant

Thanks Hygge. You are lucky being near Hillier Garden for vista’s. and yes I am also lucky with a place nearby were the view is not hindered by houses and other obstacles. And when I turn around on the spot were I took the picture that is now on the calendar I saw this:

2018-06 Wolken_0147-2

A quite unique place in the middle of Haarlem (or almost the middle) with the smallest polder of the Netherlands with Dutch windmill and cows underneath an undulated sky.

Remember to always take your camera with you!

Participant

N.B.  I am having to use F5 in Windows 10 several times this evening to stay logged in.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/turner-s-lost-lake-district-view-from-brackenthwaite-hows-open-to-all-3lgfqggqc

Turner vista.

(The Times, UK, must be blushing at the lower case ‘h’ in Hows in their title; I guess there are no sub-editors to correct such typos these days and Google algorithms are not yet up to it. Are your fingers crossed for AI, I wonder.)

Participant

2019-06 Wolken_0026-2

Taken at yesterday’s Asperitas event over here. A strange edge is there above the horizon.

Participant

F5 in Windows 10 needed again. If you mean that linear feature just above the lights, Hans, I don’t find that strange – saw something similar late afternoon today, interesting but not remarkable.

Impressive asperitas and noctilucent.

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#305april2218b2293b

Participant

Interesting layers in your image, Hans, and a nice fallstreak framing in Michael’s above. Below is from a gathering in Colorado.

IMG_4386_Gathered

Participant

I see above the fallstreak in #305 thehead of a dog, a labradot to be specific. Anyway a nice composition. As is the one from the gathering in Colorado by Keelin.

Here is one taken with the cloudspotter app at the former asperitas event.

IMG_6121-2

Participant

So perfectly balanced, Hans. Love the juxtaposition of that single, centered tree with the multitude of dominating cloudlets above it. What an amazing Asperitas event you witnessed there.

IMG_2188_Feather & FluffFeather And Fluff

Participant

Nice contrasts in textures!

Arizona Cloudscape #306

jan3119b2061Und

Participant

Thanks, Michael. In your image above, the rippled texture and translucent blue remind me of glassworks I’ve seen in art galleries where the artist has tried to mimic clouds and sky. Your cloudscape here is exquisite.

IMG_4654_Soft Summer CirrusSoft Summer Cirrus

Participant

Thank You Keelin! When I saw the undulatus and put a camera on them I was excited about the lighting, contrasts and structures. It all seemed to fall in place. That was a fun time with mother nature. Your grand sweeping Virga pay tribute to Mother Nature as well!

Arizona Cloudscape#308

may2917b3533

Participant

Ah, very nice Keelin and Michael your virga impressions. And I can’t help that I see this lovely hedgehog in Feather And Fluff. Great movement in #306 Michael. Love them all!

2019-07 Wolken_0007-2
      Neurotic Neurons

Participant

The sky looks even softer in your #308, Michael. Love the feel of it and the subtle colors.

And danke je for kind comments, Hans. As to your most recent here, Neurotic Neurons is a most fitting title and possibly a match for my state when I see certain cloud formations. It then takes a breath or two to calm down.

IMG_4706_BecalmedBecalmed

Participant

There is this soft sway in Becalmed Keelin. You can see it eases the neurons indeed!

2019-07 Wolken_0006-2

Neurons At Ease

Participant

[Needed F5 again]

A different vista from Hillier Gardens, Centennial Border looking roughly NWDSC_0045

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#309

nov2016b8483

Participant

2019-07 Wolken_0053-2

Foamscape

Participant

Splendid vistas and views above, Hygge, Micheal, and Hans. Below is one from a recent series in which the clouds just couldn’t be still.

IMG_4761_Rushing InRushing In

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #310

may1617b3370

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #311

jan2719b1971

Participant

Wonderful image, Michael. So many, so close!

IMG_2267_Trying To Touch and Reach YouTrying To Touch and Reach You…

with heart and soul nod to George Harrison (Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth)

Participant

IMG_1487_A Meeting Of Like MindsA Meeting Of Like Minds

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #312

july2518b3877VelumArt

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #313

april1518b2177

Participant

Nice captures, Michael. I especially like the landscape feel of #312.

This one was a big surprise…

IMG_4968_Big Surprise

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

Stormscapes

https://mickhartley.typepad.com/blog/2019/09/wyoming-lightning.html

This same picture by Kevin Palmer appeared in The Times, UK, 2SEP2019 – but looking less blue, a pinker lower middle around the lightning.

Palmer is a storm chaser with good websites q.v.

Participant

Thanks for the link to that dramatic shot, Hygee. Checked out Palmer’s website. His storm photos are truly stunning, and his night skies almost other-worldly.

IMG_5150_cloudscape

Participant

IMG_2176_AA Bit Of This And ThatA Bit Of This And That

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #314

aug0516b6522B

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#315

aug1216b6597Nim

Participant

Beautiful composition in #315, Michael. Really love this one!

The image below was not taken from a airplane, although it has something of that look.

IMG_5248_Only A Dream Of FlyingOnly A Dream Of Flying

Participant

IMG_5243_UpsweepUpsweep

Participant

Great composition and colors on #315  Michael. Love the sweeps in Only A Dream Of Flying and Upsweep, Keelin. Only A Dream Of Flying is like real to me. Love the movement in it.

2019-09 Charigny (94)-2

Sweepscape

Participant

WOW, Hans! The wild drama of your Sweepscape sky is simply stunning! And I wonder, would the little glittering trail in the lower right corner lead to someone who has just flown away with a pot of gold?

IMG_2391_Pathway
      A Golden Glow

Participant

Nice halo on Golden Glow Keelin.

You must have suspected I pictured Sweepscape on almost the same spot as I captured next one exactly two days before. Evidence of the existence of the flown pot of gold?

2019-09 Charigny (76)-2

Bowscape

Participant

You caught the rainbow and the gold, Hans! And the spotlight with today’s Cloud of the Day—Congratulations!

No gold in the photo below, just a bit of finely spun cloud matter. Or is that another dust bunny?!

IMG_2611_Spun Cloud Matter

Participant

Thank you Keelin.
      Your fine Dust Bunny might also be candyfloss but anyway it is going to be swept by these

2019-09 Charigny (139)-2

Collectors Of Whatever Comes In Their Way

Participant

Your Collectors look like they could do a formidable job, Hans.  They’re just about the size I need here!

IMG_5225_Still SweepingStill Sweeping

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape # 316

dec0217b8815scape

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #317

sept0518b5160

Participant

The Force is definitely with you, Michael!

Below, another image from that wildly windy day that blew us around here recently.

IMG_2742_Textured Cloudscape

Participant

Nice to blow new live in the Cloudscape thread Michael and Keelin. Quite a mighty Cb Michael. And the windy days in California produced a peculiar fluffy sky Keelin. Here the wind also reigns already for some time. Mostly cold wind from the sea often with rain but also

2020-02-12 Strand (20)-2

Some Shine

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #318

oct1618b5816Scape

Participant

2018-03-18 Wolken_0065-2

Revisited

Participant

Marvelous otherworldliness in Revisited, Hans!

Not sure what to think of the image below. It keeps turning into something hungry-looking.

IMG_0610_Something Hungry-Looking

Participant

IMG_6604_Time to Frolic!Time to Frolic!

Participant

I love Time to Frolic Keelin. It radiates a happy freshness. To me it is an impressionistic masterpiece and I feel spring is on its way.

Nevertheless my next one seems to fit more to your former one with the hungry-looking something. Sorry to disturb this feeling of spring.

2020-03 Wolken (26)-1

It’s Lurking

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #319

sept0116b6900

Participant

Good gooeyness, Hans! Whatever It’s Lurking is made up of, it has a magnetic quality that just begs one to touch—to see just how sticky it might be. And then what?!

Stuck now, I see some resemblance in the distant cloud figure in Michael’s #319. Love the bright fluff of cumulus contrasting the darker clouds against that deep blue.

Below, a different tri-color cloudscape, this one a bit smeared by the wind.

IMG_4398_Tri-color

Daniel Mitchell avatarDaniel Mitchell
      Participant

Ok Hans— crazy altocumulus going on there- love the title, It’s Lurking- sure is! I’m jealous Michael of the thunderheads you get in Arizona– they are a rarity up here in the Willamette Valley (Oregon.) – I LOVE stormy weather and can’t get enough. Keelin– so much going on there on so many levels– poor cumulus getting beat up a bit by the wind (I’m sure they don’t mind the ride…)

Not much going on in our sky today— clear blue, so I’ll fall back to September 2015 for some roughed up  Aspiritas action looking east over the valley.

2015-09-25 Greenhill Skyjourn Webres-1008

Aspirational

Participant

For me the former posts are all Inspirational. Whether the clouds are smeared out, accumulated or roughened all great cloudscapes.

2020-03 Wolken (7)-2

Cloudescape?

Participant

Love the layered look in Aspirational, Daniel. And where do you suppose those escapees are heading, Hans? Found a few over here as well. Or might they be the same, slightly reshaped by worldly winds?

IMG_6767_On A Whirled Tour Perhaps?On A Whirled Tour Perhaps?

Participant

Maybe it’s us who are escaping to the clouds in these days, eh Hans? And a Whirled Tour of Peace, perhaps, Keelin? Could use a little bit of that.  I’m going utterly stir crazy in our lock down in Oregon, USA!  And honestly, we’ve had  days running of pure stratus and nimbostratus out there (unbroken gray)— so I’m itching to get some broken up weather and some good cloudspotting going on.  Like this… this was a day to remember for me…

2014-10-20 Skyjourn by Daniel Soule - Web Resolution-2002

Ominisious

Participant

Wow, Daniel, I can see why that was an unforgettable day! Makes up for the pure blues, eh? We’ve had a few days of tumbling cumulous lately, so afternoon walks through the neighborhood have been extra fun. Even had a bit of rain, which is always welcome here.

IMG_6748_Cloudscape

Participant

That’s just awesome, Keelin— so chewy! I could dive in and just spend an hour cruising around inside that scrumptious photo!

A few from my walk today:

2020-04-01 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres - WM-10012020-04-01 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres - WM-10022020-04-01 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres - WM-10032020-04-01 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres - WM-1004

Participant

Thank you sharing your walk with us, Daniel! Third in your series reminds me of living in the beautiful, fresh Pacific Northwet (an affectionate reference) several years ago. Last week we welcomed some of that much needed moisturizer down here in California.

IMG_7265_Rain Clouds

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #320

A thin cloudscape

apr1519b3703Moon

Participant

Yes escaping to the clouds Daniel. Nowadays a good distraction. It seems you did not have to wait too long for some new clouds to spot on your walks. Great spottings.

And California welcomed some chewy cumulus and also ominous moisterizers. Great captures Keelin.

In Arizona the cloudscape Michael spotted was much thinner.

2020-02 Wolken (7)-2

Streakyscape

Participant

Love the vision your #320 inspires, Michael — relaxing in a soft, hammock cloud with the moon above. Your Streakyscape adds to it, Hans, with a sense of swaying motion. Ah, yes, I could just lie there and wait to see what the clouds do next.

IMG_4531_What Are They Up To Now?What Are They Up To Now?

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#321

nov0417b7906Scape

Participant

Nice, Michael! Very painterly.

Looking through an archive of Colorado skies, I came across this one and was amazed at how clearly I recall the very moment of stopping to look up and appreciate the unfolding drama.

IMG_4326_Colorado Clouds

Participant

What are they up to now? Great question to ask about clouds Keelin and great image too. And Arizona Cloudscape #321 is so close being asperitas, or is it Michael?

2020-03 Wolken (9)-2

More unfolding drama in the sky to come up?

Participant

It seems there’s rarely a dull moment up there, Hans! And your clouds in More Unfolding Drama look to be speeding off to join the party. There’s a tiny bird in the one below too. Can you spot it?

IMG_0780_Let The Fun Begin!Let The Fun Begin!

Participant

I think your clouds are up to something, good, Hans!  Let The Fun Begin, indeed, Keelin— your photo reminds me of underwater fumarole’s releasing gases on the ocean floor- very cool.

From day before yesterday, lot’s of Cirrus action, first time I’ve tried to get in close to Cirrus with a 600mm lens— it worked!

2020-04-28 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell- Webres - NW-1010

The Escape

2020-04-28 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell- Webres - NW-1011

Whispers on the Wind

2020-04-28 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell- Webres - NW-1012

Rifting

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Daniel Mitchell avatarDaniel.
      Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Keelin – Somewhere you mentioned inverting photos (I think you said Michael inspired you). Also inspired by Rebecca Marr, I tried my hand hand at this.

inverted

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Daniel, loved your Whispers, so light and feathery. Here I found a larger butterfly teaching a youngster how to fly.

Learning to fly

Participant

This must be Cirrus papilionem Don. Love it.

2020-05 Wolken (21)-1

Hasty Clouds

Participant

Beautiful captures, Daniel, Don and Hans! Love that closeup of The Escape, Daniel, and the trippy surrealism of your inverted image, Don. Where could those Hasty Clouds be off to, Hans? Off to give the  moon a giggle?

IMG_9166_Moon TicklersMoon Ticklers

Participant

Wow, love your Moon Ticklers Keelin. Great counterpoint and great composition. Fantastic!

2020-05 Wolken (3)-1

An Explosion Of Clouds

Participant

Thank you, Hans. And what a dynamic (pun intended?) image you caught at what looks like just the right moment in An Explosion Of Clouds! I can almost feel it all the way across the pond.

Below, a less intense bang. Or, for those of the parabolic persuasion among us, perhaps the shadowed head and antennae or horns of some cloud creatura? Hold on, I see a bit of beard…. Could this be our old friend Billy?

IMG_6927_Is That You, Billy? Is That You, Billy?

Participant

It is so much fun to see our beloved Billy back, Keelin! No hyperbole is possible to express the joy to meet him again. He seems to hop over the pond back and forth with some regularity.

2020-05 Wolken (81)-1

I am looking out for Billy to see him again on this side of the pond.

Participant

That cloud looks like it’s had an impressively big gulp right from the source, Hans. Did it share some with you by way of a good drenching? I can see you were taking your chances there!

And yes, let’s hope our beloved Billy finds quick passage for another visit soon. I, too, am always on the lookout, the memory of his first sighting (B&W Vol 2, March 17) always bringing a smile.

IMG_2982_Quick PassageQuick Passage

Participant

Can’t wait to meet Billy again Keelin. When we both keep watching he soon will pop up somewhere I expect. The clouds on your Quick Passage seem to be in a hurry indeed. I love the dynamics in it.

The sky maybe looks more ominous than it really was Keelin when I was looking for Billy. It was a bit breezy but also sunny despite of some queuing stratocumulus.  Here is another one taken the same day and it seems to be a bit …

2020-05 Wolken (75)-1

Complementary

Participant

Hans, have you noticed the similarity in shapes between the blue sky in Complementary and the cloud in your previous photo (in which you’re looking out for Billy)? With a little percentage adjustment, that cloud could drop nicely into the bit of open sky like a puzzle piece. Rather amazing!

In the cloudscape below, the missing piece was likely very, very wet.

IMG_7141_Praecipitatio PuzzlePraecipitatio Puzzle

Participant

Yes indeed amazing how these two pictures fit like puzzle pieces Keelin. Both pictures were taken during the same walk and it is nice you notice they are their complementaries.

You come up with another puzzle about praecipitatio. I suppose you are right. It will be very wet.

This one was also taken the same day as my former two.

2020-05 Wolken (64)-1

Maybe Menacing Looking But Not Wet At all.

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#322

mar0619b2883

Participant

Your Arizona Cloudscape #322 invites to stay in tune.

2020-05 Wolken (224)-1

Somehow

Participant

Looks like you were lucky to not get drenched there, Hans, yet may have have been worth it for that dramatic scene. Love the delicate tones in #322 and Somehow. In the image below, the clouds were singing a different tune…

IMG_4131_Not Quite Four-Part HarmonyNot Quite Four-Part Harmony

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #323

feb1819b2473

Participant

Nice capture, Michael, with those highlights peeking through.

When the wide contrail descended below a tree line, it looked to be offering a soft landing place for falling bits of cloud.

IMG_9971_Soft Landing

Participant

Wow, Keelin— puts the Awe in Awesome! Never ceases to amaze me what Cirrus will come up with next…

2020-06-11 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres-1013

The Cradle

Participant

Thanks, Daniel. So true how clouds can surprise us, and amaze and amuse as well. You’ve captured some beautiful tones in The Cradle. I can almost hear the lullaby of wind.

Below, the clouds took on an almost mirrored look, topped off with a little accent.

IMG_3408_Almost Mirrored

Viewing 97 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.