Cloudscapes Vol. V

Cloudscapes Vol. V

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloudscapes Vol. V

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Keelin brought us to 100 posts in Vol4 with a photo of a doggie in the window. Be sure to check it and all of the photos out!

Allow me to kick off Vol5 with a photo taken at a nearby park;

Arizona Cloudscape#501

mar2320b8788B

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

I cant think of a better start of a new volume for cloudscapes Michael than your Arizona Cloudscape #501. Great composition of different kind of undulations that are also perfectly interfering in the middle.

‘The last one of Volume IV by Keelin is the funny Blue Dog Window. I advise to check that one before going any further.

2021-01 Wolken (31)-1

Any Size And Length

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Michael and Hans,  beautiful photos of some happy clouds going all sort of directions.P1070252 (2)Wispy Creature

Participant

Thanks Ruth!.Nice Cloud Caterpillar!

Arizona Cloudscape#502

sept0418b5115

Participant

Quite a peculiar cloudscape Michael in #502. An intriguing one indeed!

I have a question for you for some time already – a question that Keelin already answered (unfortunately with a no) – and it it is whether you feel like joining a group in the community. I have noticed there are two groups for Arizona, one for Phoenix and one for Northern. I have noticed that after the introduction of the communities the activity on the Forum also increased. I am joining both with pleasure  and I am just curious. I hope you don’t mind my curiosity.

2021-01 Wolken (49)-1

Freescape

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A splendid start to Volume V, Michael, and a good reminder that this topic is likely to go in unrestrained directions, as Hans offers fine evidence with Any Size And Length.

Ruth, your Wispy Creature looks like it’s tickling the sky. Is that a giggle I hear?

And Hans, just to clarify in case there was any misunderstanding, I do wish I could have answered yes to the invitation. Alas, as it is, I can barely keep up with the forum. That said, however, and prompted by your note above to Michael, I just took a look at the Cloudspotter group for Holland and found many more photos by you and others that I am delighted to see! I must try to check these more often. I do hope others will join us here on the forum topics as well.

Love the Freescale above! Below, a faint halo shines through cool skies.

IMG_8269_Frosty MorningFrosty Morning

Participant

Hans, nice smooth sailing in your Freescape.  I love seeing birds in a photo.

Keelin, interesting in that looking at your Frosty Morning I start to see more pinks.P1070272 (2)The Big Stretch

Participant

Ruth, your Big Stretch just plain feels good!

IMG_8918_One-Note Song With Wall Of SoundOne-Note Song With Wall Of Sound

Participant

Nice one Keelin!  Quite the Big Sky Ruth! Hans your freescape fills the bill. Yes I’ve been aware of the  Communities Hans.  Im just not in the position at the moment to be of any involvement. Perhaps in the future . It could happen.

Arizona Cloudscape#503

may0716b5173

Participant

P1070271 (2)As Far As The Eye Can See

Participant

Thanks Michael for answering my question and non-intended Keelin too. Here we are on the good old Forum and I love it. Like I said, I was just curious.

New between the cloudscapes in this thread is the soundscape Keelin posted: One Note Wall Of Sound, a great funny find and ingenious too. The creativity on the Forum is always surprising.

2021-01 Wolken (64)-1

High And low

Participant

Thanks, Michael and Hans for kind words, and more wonders above. Ruth has the perfect perspective. And you’re so right, Hans. This forum never fails to amaze and amuse. Just never know what will swim by, which is a great part of the fun.

IMG_8818_Surfriding JellyfishSurfriding Jellyfish

Participant

As everyone has expressed recently, these forums and its participants have made sharing pictures so entertaining and rewarding.  The humor is a bonus and all are welcome to join in the fun.P1070483 (2)   Room With A View

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

My goodness Ruth, your lenticularis give me nostalgia for when I was living in the PNW. And Keelin, I may have at first mistaken those vortices for K-H clouds but now see that itis just the tendrils of the jellyfish getting wrapped around in swirling patterns.

DSC_0537-min

Flooded Land and Sky

Participant

Tad wet there Gregory. Good shot! Reminds me of why I moved to Phoenix.

Arizona Cloudscape#504

june1020b9528Scape

Participant

2021-01 Wolken (191)-1

Message In A Bottle

Participant

Lovely picture Hans. The cumulus feel like letters on the scroll in the bottle. It is a bit wet here, Michael, but I don’t mind. Recently we’ve gotten quite a bit of snow. Here’s one of my favorites. It appears to have undulatus on the ground and cumulus in the sky.

DSC_0642

Cloudy, No Matter where you Stand

Participant

Ruth, Gregory, Michael, Hans, you’ve all been in the just right place at the just right moment. I would especially like to have been on that beach to check out the message, Hans. Might it have simply read, “Look up!”  It’s an extraordinary photo.

In the image below, it looks as if this tree has been tickling the sky.

IMG_9119_Cloud GigglesCloud Giggles

Participant

A Scape in B&W

Arizona Cloudscape#505

june1020a9490CumArt

Participant

Great action in A Scape in B&W, Michael. Almost coming out of the image there!

Below, the wind may have been blowing more than the clouds around…

IMG_9163_Moon AtiltMoon Atilt

Participant

Yes, great clouds in action Michael.  Keelin, love your Giggles and gallery photo yesterday.  They feel so refreshing.P1070056 (2)Deep Breath, Then Blow Out

Participant

I agree with Ruth, Keelin: I love your Giggles and the latest on the gallery as well. A marvelous shadow makes the difference in colors.

Deep Breath , Then Blow Out shows a great woolly sky, Ruth.

You spotted some great undulatus in the snow Gregory. Indeed Cloudy, No Matter where you Stand.

Michaels’s scape in B&W has a nice composition.  At the moment I thought that it suggests motion I suddenly saw this train coming. Love it.

2021-01 Wolken (44)-1
      Harmless Radiation

Participant

Hans,  what a powerful imagine you have gotten in Harmless.  A beauty.P1070464 (2)A Field Of Dreams

Participant

Ruth, Field of Dreams is aptly titled. I could enjoy a whole day of daydreaming there. And a clever title for your Harmless Radiation, Hans—with a dramatic image as well.

Only a month ago, the sky looked like a large lake of Lacunosus.IMG_9038_Let's Dive In!
      Let’s Dive In!

Participant

Keelin,  Lovely spot to dive into.  May be even bubbles!P1070461 (2)

Take The Road Less Traveled

Participant

Keelin, I’d like to dive in your lake of lacunosus.

I saw another version of lenticularis on e the gallery Ruth. Very nice.

2021-01 Wolken (37)-1

Sweeping

Participant

Looks lovely everyone. I’m glad to be back and posting again!! I took this while out on a walk on a February afternoon.

DSC_0732-min

Snowy above and below.

Liangjun Ling avatarLiangjun Ling
      Participant

all great pics!

Participant

Welcome back Gregory.  Snow melting in my area finally.

Hans, I absolutely love Sweeping!  Wondering if I caught a lucky Horseshoe?P1070739 (2)

Participant

Don’t wanna spoil the fun but I am not sure about the HV Ruth. Nice snowscape Gregory. No snow anymore here, just a lot of wind.

2021-01 Wolken (53)-1

There is a hair in the soup

Participant

Hans, very interesting soup.  May be lentil.  I am going with a no on my HV.  Thanks for looking.

Just Spreading Out

P1070475 (2)

Participant

Getting strange on how to post..

anyway

Arizona Cloudscape#506

july0320b9713CumScape

Participant

First big cold front, with a nice big storm rolling through the area.

DSC_1827

Participant

Michael, a very nice feel to #506.  Gregory, you caught some pinks and greens in that storm roll.  Can’t we just feel the cool air out there.

Heading To Town

P1070806 (2)

Participant

In the company of big clouds P1070909 (2)

Participant

Thanks Ruth!   Wow! You made the Rockies look small..

Arizona Cloudscape#507

july1720b9802UndScape

Participant

Nice details in #705 Michael.

2021-03 Wolken (21)-1

Lensscape

Participant

Michael and Hans,  there is so much going on in your photos.  Many interesting angles and softness to enjoy, plus beautiful blues.  Hans, I think I see a dog relaxing in your image.

Wide Open Country

P1060635 (2)

Participant

Just The Other DayP1070980 (2)

Participant

Finally catching up with this topic and see there are lots of recent additions to enjoy from Ruth, Gregory, Hans, Michael, skies of many moods to marvel! Gregory, love the mirrored effect in your Snowy sky/landscape. Michael, #507 is full of pizzazz! Hans, your Lenscape is so other-worldly, I keep seeing other worlds within, like a snowy scene I’d like to cross-country ski through. And Ruth, you’ve framed the sun so perfectly in Just The Other Day. Did you wait for it or catch it in that very moment?

Just a couple of days ago, looking up brought a flashback to childhood. I could almost hear my little brother giggling, pillow in hand, winding up…

IMG_9471_Pillow Fight!Pillow Fight!

Participant

Keelin,  my brother too would haul a pillow at me.  We are going to ,  P1080069 (2)

Line Them Up For Class

Participant

Keelin, I wanted to let you know on Just The Other Day – I caught it at that moment.  Boy, with clouds I have to shoot fast or they change on me.

Participant

Enjoyed seeing your queue of Cu made the Gallery’s line-up, Ruth!

And speaking of brothers who enjoy tossing things… Years ago I made a series of colorful pillows stuffed with cedar chips in the shape of fish. They were about 12” long and the idea was to keep them in closets to deter moths. My brother had other ideas. He would keep one on the couch hidden beneath other pillows until some unsuspecting person within range would happen by. You’d hear the cry “FISH!” and in a blur of color, one would come flying across the room…

IMG_8605_The Boy Who Cried FishThe Boy Who Cried Fish

Participant

Love your fish pillow story Keelin.  Plus the wonderful rainbow trout above.  P1080086 (2)So Dizzy

Participant

Dizzy does it, Ruth!

IMG_9460_Tossed By The Winds Of WhimseyTossed By The Winds Of Whimsey

Participant

The Boy Who Cried Fish is fanastic Keelin and the stiry as well. Love it. Now I feel dizzy and tossed by the winds of whimsey. Don’t know why.

2021-04 Wolken (27)-1

Approaching Snow

A beautiful morning above Seattle!

IMG_8891

The clouds were quite strange, it was sunny then a few miles later, it was pouring!

Seattle being strange :)

Sorry about the reflections in the glass

IMG_6028-2IMG_5621-2

A powerful storm coming from the pacific is what can be seen in the first, and the second picture is from the top of the Cascade Mountains :)

I hope you like them!

Participant

Hans, your Approaching Snow has some energy to it.  Plus I love the ocean in your photo.

Keelin, Whimsey is just plain fun.

donatella, so wonderful to see your pictures.  My favorite is the first one of the Cascade Mountains.  The green in the forefront is great.P1080078 (2)Light And Airy

Participant

Just TodayP1080210 (2)

Participant

Great views you have on Seattle and surroundings from up above, Donatella. You are privileged. I love the sea view and also the sea of stratus from Cascade Mountains.

And Just Today is as Light and Airy as the former one, Ruth. There we see Cascade Mountains from far. Great blues.

You two give us a nice view of Oregon.

2021-04 Wolken (72)-1

Dunescape

Participant

Dunescape has tons of energy Hans.  Perfect for this forum.

I Love A Meaty Cloud

P1080357 (2)

Participant

I’ve scrolled back to Approaching Snow to enjoy again the ethereal illumination you’ve captured there, Hans. The image works so well in B&W to relay the coolness of that scene.

Donatella, it is so nice to see you here again, and with such beautiful photos from the wild-weathered Pacific Northwet.

Ruth, Just Today gives such an impression of space I found myself taking an extra big breath while viewing it.

Followed by holding that same breath as your Dunescape appeared, Hans. Looks like a good downpour might have begun any second there.

A few days of all -blue skies here, save the occasional passer-by. Still, it gives me hope!

IMG_9653_Spirit RisingSpirits Rising

Participant

Meaty Clouds and Spirits Rising. Great titles for these beautiful captures, Ruth and Keelin.

Here is one taken a few days ago on a day with lots of energy in the sky: storm systems, asperitas, sunny spells, rain and lightning. My camera worked extra hours. I was a bit puzzled about what I saw here but having given it a thought it is probably a shelf cloud and I didn’t recognize it the moment I spotted it. Nevertheless the circumstances were there for a shelf.

2021-05 Wolken (39)-1

Shelfscape

Participant

Arizona CloudScape #508

nov1320b0961VirArt

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Hells Revenge Trail Review and Guide in Moab Utah 4k UHD – YouTube

As ever, the above is a link which does not copy to the CAS Forum for whatever reason. However if you Google ‘Hells Revenge’ you should get it OK. Or try Trailsoffroad.com

It is a video about about offroading but throughout there are heavenly Utah cloudscapes to be seen.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

The link hitch was my fault – you have to post the link with ‘Text’ above, not ‘Visual’

Participant

What a day for clouds.  I had an appointment, so I couldn’t stop when I needed to take a picture.  I can go with this one.  Why is it driving that the clouds can be incredible.  Watch out or you will end up in the ditch.P1080562 (2)

Participant

Whoa, Hans! I hope you weren’t trying to take shelter from the storm beneath that impressive display! Also delighted you stood your ground to bring us your beautiful Shelfscape!

Michael’s exuberant #508 and Ruth’s dramatic picture-on-the-go are fun to see as well.

And thanks, Hygee, for pointers to clouds above Moab. Didn’t even get dusty while taking a peek at them.

This one looks as if it’s ready to catch you if you fall. Well, maybe in a dream…

IMG_9792_Don't Worry!Don’t Worry! I’ve Got you!

Participant

What a day for clouds indeed Ruth! Just keep your hands on the steering wheel although the clouds are also beautiful from the ditch :) Keelin offers a helping hand, so Don’t Worry, She’s Got You! Both great cloudscapes as is #508 by Michael. I love the fine lines in this one.

2021-05 Wolken (68)-1

Overlooking

Participant

What a beauty, Hans! Overlooking looks like you could have been in a calm sea or lake when those clouds came right down to meet you.

Yesterday afternoon, we had the great surprise of RAIN! Every drop is welcome here, as is the sweet perfume of petrichor.  I wasn’t the only one caught dancing in the droplets.

IMG_9823_So Unexpected!

IMG_9827_Time To Take Cover!

IMG_9829_Rain!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

Nice shots all around!

Arizona Cloudscape#509

july0329b9708CumArt

Participant

Where to start.  I’m in the ditch, Keelin has rain, Hans is looking out, and Michael is way above in the clouds.

There Are Snakes Out Here ( Bull Snakes )P1040742 (2)

Participant

Escaping From Snakes To Looking At Flathead Lake ( lower part of photo ).P1080694 (2)

Participant

The Show Must Go OnP1080742 (2)

Participant

Bundle Of EnergyP1080757 (2)

Participant

As Far As The Eye Can SeeP1070281 (2)

Participant

That’s a great wide view Ruth in your As Far As The Eye Can See.

2021-06 Charigny (125)-1

Queuing

Participant

Ruth, there is something very appealing about your Escaping From Snakes with the thin lake snake line of bright water there. Love that one, and your others as well.

And Hans, Queing is like a heart collecting those wisps in line with the intent to grow even larger. How much love can the sky hold? Will it take bits of all sizes?

IMG_0053_Small-Medium-LargeSmall-Medium-Large

Participant

Keelin, just like a dress size.  Hans, I am thinking some Virga there.  May be a deep sea heart!

Back To LandP1090238 (2)

Participant

Ruth, Back To Land offers a beautiful, beckoning perspective. Love the contrast of a cloud-filled sky above the sea of green.

Just back from a visit with my sis in Santa Cruz (California), where we sat at the far end of the wharf to watch the clouds show off a bit in the early morn before they sailed off, leaving us with a bright blue day.

IMG_0159_Above A Sea Of Cobalt BlueAbove A Sea Of Cobalt Blue

Participant

From a couple of months ago…

IMG_9719_The Element Of SurpriseThe Element Of Surprise

Participant

Lovely views over land and sea Ruth and Keelin. Small, medium or large they are all Element Of Surprise.

2021-06 Charigny (237)-1

Ominous

Richard Bergeman avatarRichard Bergeman
      Participant

low ceiling over a refuge in the Willamette Valley, Oregonbasket slough pond1

Participant

This ir-scape is another surprise Richard. The subject and the technique fit perfectly well here giving a beautiful result in B&W.

2021-06 Charigny (242)-1

Before Sunset

Participant

Hans, nice capture with the slight light and a ray.  Richard, your B & W makes my eyes want more.  I’ll bet there are ducks in that refuge too.

Heading HomeP1000547 (2)

Participant

Close To HomeP1080219 (2)

7439addf9cf3290691dbac3404dee662f5102dc2_2_820x546

Cloudscapes above France (shot with a drone)

Participant

a high desert sky, shot from the back seat of a moving car driving thru central oregon

high desert sky

Participant

Richard and donatella, love both photos of air above France and desert sky in Oregon.  Going toP1040661 (2)

Roll With It

Participant

Hans, I love that sweep of clouds, dark to light in Ominous and that hint of color in Before Sunset. Beautiful.

Richard, I feel as if I can see for miles in your Willamette Valley view, and
      your latest is simply grand.

Ruth, no surprise your Heading Home was added to the Gallery. I can almost feel the quiet there. Hope you made it to shelter before your latest one let loose!

Donnatella, your Cloudscapes is like a splendid and magical sneak peek at a city of clouds beyond our normal view.

Over the past couple of days, we’ve finally seen some clouds roll in!

IMG_0294_Long Awaited ArrivalLong Awaited Arrival

Participant

lately i’ve been trying to see our fair valley through the eyes of the kalapuyan people who lived here before the great western migration pushed them out to reservations on the margins …… in an attempt to avoid obvious elements of modernity, i’ve decided to take aim at the skies over their former lands (an example was the ‘low ceiling over a refuge’ i posted last month, taken on the former land of the yamhills)

this new one has a longish title — ‘view over the willamette from the land of the luckiamute kalapuya to the land of the santiam’

independence+river2 copy

Participant

That’s a great shelf cloud on “roll with it” Ruth. One almost can see it move over the landscape.

Keelin, your Long Awaited Arrival makes me realize that the presence of clouds is so much different everywhere. On one place too much and on the other too little.

Richard, I love to repeat your almost poetic title of your latest:  ‘view over the willamette from the land of the luckiamute kalapuya to the land of the santiam’. A great composition as well.

2021-06 Wolken (17)-1

A Lot Of Cloud

Participant

Hans, nice chunk of clouds.  Wonderful crevices to explore.

Track and Field

P1090453 (2)

Participant

i like your cloudscape, ruth — makes one feel like taking a peaceful drive to nowhere in particular ….. here’s a cloudscape with cumulus mediocris (i think) hovering over a white oak savannah in the land of the yamhill kalapuya

4oak hill+cumulus copy 2

Participant

Richard, I am really enjoying your photo style.  Congratulations on your Cloud A Day.  Great capture from a moving vehicle too.  I would love to bike the road in your latest picture.

Space Ship On The MoveP1000214 (2)

Participant

thanks, ruth, for the kind remarks — and in return, i quite like the dissembling space ship

here’s a rather explosive cloud spied off the long beach peninsula in washington state

1k-IR weather beach2

Participant

Love the crispness and composition you’re achieving in your photos, Richard. And the long, evocative (and as Hans noted, rather poetic) titles as well.

A Lot Of Cloud indeed, Hans. In fact, I almost missed that subtle opening in the upper right corner. Once seen, it has a curiously magnetic draw.

I feel the same pull to explore in your Track and Field photo, Ruth. Hope this one fits…

IMG_8263_Puzzle PiecePuzzle Piece

Participant

Ah, so many things to see in the different cloudscapes above. Love them all but “a white oak savannah in the land of the yamhill kalapuya” by Richard is really picked from a fairy tale. Don’t I see a hobbit in its way?

‘Track and Field’ and ‘Space Ship On The Move’ are both great wide and breath taking views, Ruth.

And your Puzzle Piece fits so well here, Keelin. I love the deceiving play of light in it.

2021-08 Wolken (53)-1

Different Levels United

Participant

Beautiful entries cloud spotters.  I am running to keep up.

Slow DancerP1000177 (2)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#510

may1919b4680Und

Participant

cloud fire1

cloud fire  — at least this one is not as dangerous as the wildfires we’ve been having around here lately

Participant

Great sense of depth in the latest posts from everyone above. The sky’s been a bit quiet here lately. Had to look back a couple of weeks ago to find this one. As I recall, there was a skyful of action with clouds literally consuming each other.

IMG_0505_Room For One More BiteRoom For One More Bite

Participant

Michael, Keelin, and Richard,  great entries and some fine clouds that are wispy.

An Unusual Cloud Formation, May Be An Ameba P1000319 (2)

Participant

This is a cloud that just about escaped.  Believe I may have seen a HV.  Unfortunately I couldn’t get to my camera fast even.  Way cool to experience a new a fleeting cloud.

Cloud EscapeP1000276 (2)

Participant

Those HVs are such quick morphers, Ruth. But I like that bit that lingered for you. It’s like a little celestial comma, a reminder to pause and take a breath. It makes a nice follow-up to the fast-moving feel of the Ameba scene you caught above.

We’ve had rather quiet skies here lately. But a week or so ago, clouds passed through with some thunder and lightning. Alas only a little rain.

IMG_0671_Lovely Clouds, Little RainLovely Clouds, Little Rain

Participant

Smooth waves in #510, Michael.

Cloud Fire is amazing. Great cloudscape drama, Richard!

Love your Ameba Ruth, a nice composition..

Lovely Clouds, Little Rain looks like it had more rain in it than it delivered Keelin. Still a very nice cloudscape.

2021-09 Charigny (91)-1

Some Rain, Some Shine

Participant

Hans and Keelin,  a Rain theme.  Great looking clouds.  Speaking of moisture, we finally had some rain the last two days.  Hoping all our NW fires end soon and not wait on heavy snow.

A Big GulpP1040780 (2)

Participant

Some Rain, Some Shine, is a beautiful photo, Hans, and it delivers a big smile if not moisture to the dry lands here.

So happy to hear you had some rain up there, Ruth. Love the long view in A Big Gulp. Down here, we’re still waiting for a sip. We could use…

IMG_8939_A Big SqueezeA Big Squeeze

Participant

Keelin, yep on the Big Squeeze.  Big picture with floating clouds trickling down.  Super colors too.

A Whirlpool Bath P1090957 (2)

Participant

A beautiful bath, Ruth! Still waiting here for something to puddle-jump into…

IMG_0729_So PromisingSo Promising

Participant

an evening in the northwest — could those be nacreous clouds?  hard to say in b+w i suppose

nacreous(motherofpearl)57

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.