Cloudscapes Vol. IV

Cloudscapes Vol. IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloudscapes Vol. IV

Viewing 92 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Keelin finished off Vol 3 of Cloudscapes with a mirror image. May I launch Vol4 with some Duplicatus

Arizona Cloudscape #401

mar2320B8744Scape

Meryl Schneider avatarMeryl Schneider
      Participant

That is really gorgeous!

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A fabulous launch to Volume IV, Michael! Thank you for leading the way. Can’t wait to see what we shall see.

IMG_7551_Excited!Excited In All Directions!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

A monumental start of this Volume IV Michael. Great composition. I am like Keelin ‘Excited In All Directions’.

2020-05 Wolken (190)-1

Smoothly

Participant

Love the soft approach in Smoothly, Hans. Anything that inspires calm is welcomed (and needed) these days. Amazing how effectively a simple image can accomplish that.

IMG_7135_Just Drifting ByJust Drifting By

Participant

Just Drifting By certainly inspires calm Keelin. I hope to contribute with

2020-05 Wolken (225)-1

Calm Ripples

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

P1040544 (2)For cooling down : A Japanese Fan

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape # 402

dec2619b7697CirCum

Participant

Wow! Fantastic images, Hans, Ruth, Michael! Calm, cool, and delighted by all the above.

IMG_9965_Textural TouchTextural Touch

Participant

Fun Shot Keelin!

Arizona Color#403

dec1519b7492Perc

Participant

P1040755 (2)Hans, Keelin, and Michael, wonderful images and I am being reminded of the Pacific ocean as a kid.

Going with Cloud Stew

Participant

A savory stew, Ruth! And I agree about these reminder of the sea, the source and soul of splendors above.

IMG_3689_Like Sea Froth

Like Sea Froth

Participant

Keelin, lovely photo of yours in the Gallery today. How to catch a corona? It is all about timing with place. The Sea Froth above has the best textures. I always look forward to your pictures.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello!

I don’t know what it is about this photo that makes me want to smile. It feels special somehow. The light is just perfect, and the mix of clouds fills me with the utmost joy, yes, but there is something more to it than just that.

Enjoy!

DSC_9475-min

Participant

Thank you for kind words, Ruth. I look forward to your photos as well and enjoy your titles too.

And Gregory, your smile is contagious — no explanation required!

IMG_0944_Joy UnboundJoy Unbound

Participant

P1020670 (2)Cloud Escape, Just Take The Road

Participant

Today it is hot under a clear blue sky in Holland. And I must say ‘Like Sea froth’ shows exactly what I like now. Mouth watering cool, Keelin. Meanwhile I enjoy the other ones as well. With Cloud Stew the Joy is Unbound.

2020-07 Wolken (29)-1

Approaching Rain

Participant

It’s hot here today as well, Hans, so your Approaching Rain is a most welcomed—and beautiful—sight. And I would happily travel your enticing escape road, Ruth, with hopes of finding something like this…

IMG_2529_Cooling CascadeCooling Cascade

Participant

I overlooked the inviting road to Cloud Escape Ruth. How could I? A  tempting road to follow indeed. Great composition.

After some rain over here I already look forward for a lovely Cooling Cascade as you spotted Keelin, since we are in the middle of an high pressure area with just blue skies. Quite some weather changes over here  lately. This one is just a few days ago.

2020-07 Wolken (16)-1-1

Foreboding Of The Return Of Cthuhlu

Participant

Hans and Keelin,  Seems like we all are longing for rain and cooler temps.  I can feel the weather just changing by enjoying your refreshing photos.

P1040759 (2)   Light As A Feather

Participant

Yes on my side of the pond we have tropical temperatures for more than a week already, so I long for some rain too. Light As A Feather looks very refreshing indeed, Ruth.

2020-07 Charigny (81)-1

Castles In The Sky

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#404

may1119b4417Scape

Participant

Michael and Hans, your images are mesmerizing.  Michael, I may almost see a man face up in #404.

Clouds On A MissionP1050687 (2)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#405

apr2319b3972Len

Participant

P1050774 (2)Dog Paws

An Isololated StratoCumulus (I believe) above Nebraska, USA.

IMG_3481

Participant

Candle LightP1060069 (2)

Participant

Catching up with the potpourri above feels like a nice bit of virtual travel. Speaking of which (and scrolling back a bit), rest assured, Hans, there’s no need to worry about Cthulhu. Rumor has it he’s in a mellow mood now, having just returned from a relaxing little get-away.

IMG_6150_Mimi VacationMini Vacation

Participant

Keelin, nice vacation for you.  If you need some extra rest I have a great:

Cloud PillowP1060095 (2)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#406

mar2319B3390CldScp

Participant

Jelly FishP1060142 (2)

Jocelyn Northey avatarJocelyn Northey
      Participant

749FC8F8-2F7E-49EE-A0E2-266620ED0578

Went to the beach and the clouds were almost claustrophobic. Altocumulus with dense bands.

Jocelyn Northey avatarJocelyn Northey
      Participant

A Ragged End to the Day

B5FD41C7-3355-4F77-A85B-39C845DFBE45

Participant

Ruth, thank for the cloud pillow. Even your jellyfish looks like a soft place to rest one’s head.

Michael, I keep returning to your Arizona Cloudscape #406 for the way it makes me feel, relaxed and content to just linger there.

And Jocelyn, your Altocumulus with dense bands looked to be right on top of you—fabulous!

Finally, a day with something up there…IMG_8742_Soaring Amongst The Tumbling CloudsTumbling Clouds

Participant

Thanks Keelin, Im glad you enjoy the stay!

Arizona Cloudscape#407

may1919b4721ScapeB

Participant

Window of OpportunityP1060530 (2)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#408

may1919b4652Scape

Participant

2020-09 Wolken (7)-1

Gnarled

Participant

Very Halloween HansP1060639 (2)Sky Diving

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#409

feb0220b8223

Participant

P1040188 (2)Low Hanging Fruit

Participant

Great texture in Arizona Cloudscape #409 Michael. And great band of Stratus in Low Hanging Fruit Ruth. Next one hangs also low and bears fruit. I was lucky the fruit did not drop.

2020-09 Wolken (34)-1

Just Menacing

Participant

I have asked it to visit the other side of the pond. The rain had stopped but there was still som in the distant causing a segment of a redbow in the setting sun.

2020-10 Wolken (143)-01

Autumn Delight

Participant

Hans, your Autumn Delight is so serene.  Love the picture.P1040744 (2)Green Pastures

Participant

More than a month gone by with barely a cloud here, so the fine collection above is much appreciated. Some favorites include Ruth’s Window of Opportunity, Michael’s #408, and Hans’s Just Menacing (oh to see a skyful like that!).

Or one like this, extracted from the archives more than year and a season ago.

IMG_3690_Come Back!Come Back!

Participant

I asked them to visit also California Keelin. Here it is really Autumn with wind, rain, shine and lots of clouds. I hope they listen and pay you a visit soon.

2020-10 Wolken (124)-01

Autumn Sky

Participant

P1060216 (2)Scattered

Participant

Thank you, Hans. I appreciate your plea for my favorite season to show it’s true form here. Your Autumn sky is a dramatic beauty, especially with the dark sea as a baseline. I want to inhale it.

And Ruth, your Scattered photo has gone 3D! One can almost reach into it and pluck a cloud from the sky.

The photo below can also fool the eye into thinking it’s a landscape with fog rolling in over the hills. But there is not a bit of it that is not of the sky.

IMG_2532_CloudlandiaCloudlandia

Participant

P1060740 (2)A Curling Event

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #410

may1919b4654ScapeB

Participant

P1050209 (2)Pass The Potatoes Please

Participant

Michael, your Arizona Cloudscape #410 is hovering! Nice composition there.

Pass The Potatoes looks delicious, Ruth. Of course, I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like. :)

Yesterday, the clouds surprised me with a skyful of beauties. An ode to Autumn’s true arrival? The upper portion of this image looks to hold (or let Fall?) some interesting shapes.

IMG_8224_Ghosts of Autumn LeavesGhosts of Autumn Leaves

Participant

Soft and Sharp, Nice shots ! Yes Keelin, Clouds! It actually rained last nite..for about 5 minutes..Have been able to take a lot of pics! Now to process them during all the celebrating.

Here is another cloudscape from the #410 shoot

Arizona Cloudscape #411

may1919b4676UndArt

Participant

Scattered and A Curling Event are marvelous Ruth. Love the shadowing and depth on the first and the gentle waves on the second.

Cloudlandia and Ghosts of Autumn Leaves are so different and equally appealing Keelin. I love epecially the cascade and movement in Ghosts of Autumn Leaves.

Michael comes up with two wavy structures in blue that remind me of quietly swimming blue whales.

2020-10 Wolken (19)-1 (Large)

Earth, Water, Air

Participant

Nice subtle hint of color amidst the various grey tones in #411, Michael. The sense of movement has my eyes sliding side-to-side while the balanced composition holds me calmly in place. Intriguing effect!

Earth, Water, Air is a breathtaking drama in black and white, Hans. I love the way reflected light gives form to the sand before sea.

IMG_8309_Awash In The SwashAwash In The Swash

Participant

Michael, I agree with Hans #411 has a feel of graceful whales.

Hans, your Earth, Water, Air reminds me of the great Ansel Adams, who took photos of Yosemite.

Keelin, beautiful ivory colors in Swash.  I do need to find my pearls.P1040786 (2) Massaging A Cloud

Participant

Thanks Keelin and Ruth. To mention Ansel Adams is quite a compliment, Ruth.

Awash In The Swash is a delicious title for an elegant cloud formation, Keelin. And Massaging A Cloud is a surrealistic title for an overwhelming cloudscape Ruth.

2020-11 Wolken (96)-1

Rain And Wind To Come

Participant

Arizona Color#412

mar0619b2839

Participant

P1050403 (2)Peekaboo

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#413

Hail

mar1420b8679Hail

Participant

DSC_7189 (wecompress.com)

Wonderful shots everyone!

Cliff’s edge

Participant

Gregory, I am enjoying your recent forum pictures.   Inspiring.P1060900 (2) Loch Ness Monster of the Sky

Participant

Such wonderful variety in this thread. Especially love the drama in Hans’s Rain And Wind and the color in Michael’s Hail.

IMG_6643_InterludeInterlude

Participant

Fascinating lighting and texture in the Interlude Keelin.

and Thanks,The green of hail made that scape unique. Of course I took a bunch of shots. Below is another.

Arizona Cloudscape#414

mar1420b8685Hail

Participant

Wonderful shots Keelin, Ruth,and Michael. I especially likes the interesting colors in Michael’s, the waves in Keelin’s and the very interesting monster lurking in the sky in Ruth’s.

DSC_7217 (wecompress.com)

Incoming!

Steve Collinson avatarSteve Collinson
      Participant

Coastal Cloud

First post – sorry if I’ve transgressed in any way. (location of post, pic too large etc)
      I took this photo of coastal cloud yesterday on the North Coast of Cornwall UK.
      Not sure what type it is. Despite a strong breeze it stayed blocking the sun for about 2 hours so I’m guessing it was very high?

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

Yes, altocumulus I would say, Though there is a band of tiny clouds above the main one (above as in the picture, not necessarily in absolute terms) that would qualify as cirrocumulus by size. Are they part of a higher layer mostly hidden behind the lower one? Hard to tell.

The breeze is a very local phenomenon due to the sea and land having different temperatures, so it would not affect these clouds. The intriguing thing is that the clouds did not move for hours. That makes me think that there may be some orographic factor involved.

I also notice a bit of a sun corona drowned by the brightness of the sun. Hard to capture.

Looking forward to mode pictures from you, Steve.

Participant

Welcome Steve. Hope to see many more photos of clouds from you! Concerning your current photo:  The cloud appears to be the result of  incoming warm ocean  air  rising over land into colder atmosphere thus the condensing of moisture and probably the stationery nature of the cloud. While not stacked up, the length and narrowness  seems a  stretched lenticular. Yes at least at  altocumulus level.

Participant

Hello Steve! Welcome to the forum, and just know that you have not transgressed in anyway. We welcome you and your pictures from here on out! Regarding the type of cloud in your photo, and the description you have given us, I would say it is probably altocumulus(mid-level) or cirrocumulus(higher, and a tad rarer). It may also be that these clouds may be following the jet stream and that is why they managed to stay put for so long. Hope to see you more often!

Participant

Hi everyone, I am back and I see some great shots from everyone. I thought I’d share a time-lapse I took earlier this week.

Here is the link to Vimeo to cut and paste in your browser if the video is not displaying well (e.g., is cropped): vimeo.com/483792453

Participant

A warm welcome to you, Steve! Glad you’ve joined us and hope to see you often here and on other forum topics as well. Love the open feeling, like a breath of fresh air, the photo you’ve shared delivers. Just what’s needed when we’re all indoors more often than usual.

And George, thank you for yet another exciting time-lapse! Such a fun peek through the clouds at the layer beyond.

The photo below, taken about a month ago, has the look of how it felt when I stepped outside early this morning.

IMG_2361_Frosty!Frosty!

Participant

Thank you Keelin! Your picture reminds me of a stormy ocean seen from an airplane, huge waves with crests of white water. Some sort of mirror image.

Participant

George, that timelapse was wonderful! And Keelin, those cirrus do indeed look frosty. Makes me feel the chill of winter. Following that theme of cold…

DSC_7141 (wecompress.com)

Icebergs in the Sky

Participant

Thank you Gregory. Your picture seems indeed to show ice breaking off in the ocean. Very nice.

Participant

Ah yes, thank you George!

Participant

P1020677 (2)Shade For Cows

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape# 415

mar2320b8773Und

Participant

Michael, very intriguing textures in #415.P1070062 (2)Cloud Landscape

Participant

Definitely sensing the coolness of Autumn in the most recent photos above.The Wind in painterly moods.

IMG_8496_Cirrocumulus BrushstrokesCirrocumulus Brushstrokes

Participant

Great cloudscapes from you all above ending with the fine Brushstrokes by Keelin!

2020-11 Wolken (96)-1

Coming From The Sea

Participant

Oh Hans, I love these dramatic photos of yours by the Sea! I can almost feel the sand in my teeth.

Some similar colors below from across the pond with winds wisping up a bit of gray cloud. Or is that a bit of the hair on my head?

IMG_8474_Whatever WispsWhatever Wisps

Participant

Keelin, nice sunset on the gallery this week.  Wisps and brushstrokes soothing.  Hans, I love all of the sea photos you submit.  No ocean close to me for a breath of salt air.P1070111 (2)North Shore Of Flathead Lake, MT.

Participant

P1060181 (2)A Mouth Full

Participant

Great to see your hair in the wind Keelin! And a mouth watering Mouth Full Ruth.

2020-11 Wolken (106)-1

Another One At The Seaside

Participant

Hans, so enjoyed your CAD earlier this week and of course any seaside picture of yours is pleasing.P1060929 (2)The Big Stretch

Participant

Thank you Ruth. I liked the quote from Baudelaire with it very much.

Great wide view in you Big Stretch.

2020-10 Wolken (163)-01

Seascape At Sunset

Participant

Hans, all of your seaside photos are absolutely lovely, although I must say that the 2nd is my favorite. And Ruth, your big stretch does seem just like you said, a big stretch of sky and land before you. And lastly, Keelin, your dramatic sky is a wonderful treat for the eyes.

DSC_8844

Land of Cloud and Sky

Participant

Thank you Gregory! And btw I just tried something on the Optical Phenomena thread but could not yet post what I wanted. I have to be patient. Meanwhile I see a lot of great posts by you like Land of Cloud and Sky.

2020-12 Wolken (21)-1

Blue Hourscape

Participant

Ah yes, thank you Hans! I sincerely hope your posting issues get fixed soon. I love the Blue Hourscape by the way!

Participant

P1070175 (2)Cloud Eater

Participant

Funny! Like a big fish in the sky.

Which reminds me I also saw a fish in the sky, not sure if I posted it on CAS.

_A737389

Steve Collinson avatarSteve Collinson
      Participant

Dramatic stormclouds on a sunny day – Goonhilly Downs, CornwallIMG_1845

Participant

Very funny Ruth, your Cloud Eater. The fish George spotted seems to look in amazement.

Great colors in your dramatic cloudscape with storm clouds Steve. I like the contrast.

2020-10 Wolken (248)-1

Opening

Participant

What a stunning Opening, Hans, with that splash of gold adding a luxurious accent. And I’m in full agreement with your comments and compliments on recent photos above—each one adding to the fun, wonder and beauty of this topic’s offerings.

The start of a new year always inspires a look at what’s still here but really needs to go. Time for some interior weeding and a dust-bunny roundup.

IMG_8234_Dance Of The Divine Dust DervishDance Of The Divine Dust Dervish

Participant

Great start everyone to a new year. All so nice to dream by.P1050705 (2) Window with a view for this lucky airplane coming through

Participant

Love the Dance Of The Divine Dust Dervish,  Keelin. Your dust-bunny-roundup was certainly fruitful to find that marvelous one.  Love the ‘Window with a view for this lucky airplane coming through’ as well Ruth.

2020-10 Wolken (213)-1

Threatening But Dry After All

Participant

Those trees provide the perfect frame for your lovely view, Ruth.

And would love to escape to your sky/seascape, Hans. Wouldn’t even mind getting wet there.

Needing rain here, but ’twas not to be had on the day of the photo below. Yet how could one not feel glorious with the clouds lit up and the moon still up, keeping a sleepy eye on us all?

IMG_8585_Morning MoonMorning Moon

Participant

What a wonderful shot Keelin! I love the golden bands and the moon peeking out at us. Hans, your seascape as always looks incredible, and lastly Ruth, I love the wispiness you’ve captured with your “Window with a view”.

DSC_0453 (wecompress.com)

Down to the Ground

Participant

Gregory,  I can hear the quiet in your picture.  Love seeing some dirt too.  We have snow now in January.P1030455 (2)Where Are The Ducks ?

Participant

Thank you, Gregory! Love the atmospheric impressions in Down to the Ground. I can almost feel the cool dampness of fog and breathe in the aroma of wintery wet leaves.

Maybe no ducks in your latest, Ruth, but a lovely, peaceful photo. I can almost hear the quiet there too.

While I don’t see any feathered friends in the ‘window view’ (to borrow Ruth’s earlier phrase) in the photo below either, perhaps they’ll fly their way into the next volume? Thanks to everyone for all the beauty shared in the collection above.

IMG_8641_Blue Dog WindowBlue Dog Window

Viewing 92 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.