Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume V

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume V

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume V

Viewing 86 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

[Continuing from Volume IV] If a cow can jump it, well, why not…?

IMG_0279_Over The MoonOver The Moon

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Wow Keelin, you ended Volume IV with a beautiful Wild Horse Dreams to continue this new Volume V with a evenly beautiful cow jumping Over The Moon.  A great start of a lot of fun to come.

I also want to mention from the former Volume the fanatastic Valkeries by Richard and Keelin’s Cleopatra’s Barge. It was also a pleasure to see that Blue-Eyed-Billy reentered the scene and I almost thought Ruth caught him also but it turned out to be a seahorse. It had only one horn short to be Billy. All great captures.

This one seems to be amazed about what she (?) saw in these threads.

2021-08 Wolken (6)-1

An Amazed Face

Participant

Ah, danke je, Hans, for sharing in the fun and anticipation of what’s to come in this topic of wonders.

And you’ve captured exactly what I looked like in An Amazed Face after tilting my head while gazing at this unusual cloud shape…

IMG_0404_Billy?
      Low and behold (and with a twist and a tweak of contrast), guess who’s there! If it isn’t our old friend…. looking like his mischievous self and as if he’s been cavorting through rainbows.

IMG_0404_Billy!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Richard Bergeman avatarRichard Bergeman
      Participant

not sure i can match the magic keelin is unleashing, but made me think of this specter in the skycoronavirus37

Participant

not sure it’s really a ‘thing’, but my immediate reaction while i photographed this one last week was “emanations from a think tank”

ThinkTankEmanations

Participant

That are two amazing close ups of Billy, Keelin. Complete with goatee!

Followed by a great specter by Richard. Your “emanations from a think tank” is quite surrealistic and funny as well.

2020-09 Wolken (14)-1

The Dodo Has Returned

Participant

Magic matched with the spectacular specter you’ve captured, Richard! And your idea of seeing clouds as think tank emanations has great appeal. Who knows what will the sky will come up with next?

And Hans, you’ve found it! The spirit of Dodo — a wonder to behold! In fact, what you’ve got there quite resembles some of the anatomical illustrations in one of my favorite books: Dodo: A Brief History by Errol Fuller. Lovely!

Still, how sad that some creatures have gone the way of that sweet odd bird. Here’s another that roams only the skies now too.

IMG_9160_Sauntering Stegosaurus
      Sauntering Stegosaurus

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Keelin, lovely sunset of yours on the Gallery last week.  The thrill never gets old!

Great captures everyone.  Gotta really like the dodo and the think tank.  All creatures great and small.

Snowshoe HareP1090642 (2)

Participant

dragon’s breath?

Dragon's Breath4

Participant

That’s some serious looking Dragon’s Breath, Richard! Looks like it might have frightened your cute little Snowshoe Hare, Ruth. And apparently he’s not the only one hoping (or hopping) to escape…

PS: Congratulations, Richard, on your artistic desert sky Cloud of the Day!

IMG_8667_Swimming As Fast As I Can_FleeingThe Dragon

Swimming As Fast As I Can

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

That’s some creature to try to escape from Keelin! And what a lot of fun with a Snowshoe Hare, Dragon’s Breath and a Sauntering Stegiosaurus. After extinct creatures I discovered the sky also houses cartoon animals. Believe it or not but where the Coyote never succeeded I think I captured the Roadrunner at full speed.

2021-08 Wolken (57)-1

Beep Beep

Participant

Roadrunner better keep running, Hans. Looks like Wiley Coyote is hot on his trail with a little help from… could that be Woodstock?!?

IMG_0787_He Went That-a-Way!He went that-a-way!

Salil Kawli avatarSalil Kawli
      Participant

103Red Dragon seen over Mumbai India after Sunset.

Participant

Salil,  dangerous looking Dragon.  Wonderful colors you got to see though.

A Gentle Elephant In MotionP1090765 (2)

Participant

Salil, your Red Dragon is mesmerizing! You have captured him well and in dramatic fashion.

And Ruth, your Gentle Elephant is just so sweet, sailing softly there on a little cloud. Could that have been his wish? What would you wish if a genie appeared?

IMG_0228_Aladdin’s LampAladdin’s Lamp

Participant

Keelin,  that is one nice lamp.  Love the numerous levels.

Jumping FishP1000598 (2)

Participant

cirrocumulus pagoda26

cirrocumulus (?) pagoda

Participant

I can see where your little Jumping Fish broke right through the sea of sky, Ruth.

And nice architecture in your pagoda, Richard.

IMG_0496_Celestial SpireCelestial Spire

Participant

So much fun above from you all and the Roadrunner is happy to see Woodstock pointed out the wrong direction to the Coyote.
      I am happy to have found a new one to share here.

2021-09 Charigny (160)-1

Two Elephants In the Desert Under A Hot Sun(dog)

Participant

Hans, clever elephants.  I dream of seeing a sundog.  Great fun for you.

P1000739 (2) Bojangles

Participant

When you are able to spot mr. Bojangles you will certainly spot a sundog very soon. When there is cirrus in the sky and the sun is low (preferably) watch 22 degrees left or right from the sun. I am certain you will come up with one soon. Here is a teaser.

2021-09 Charigny (190)-1

A Sunbull?

Participant

Bojangles is inspiring, Ruth. Makes me wanna get up and dance too! And love those hot Elephants and the dogs/bull, Hans. Plus clever titles from the both of you.

This cloud snail takes it all at a more leisurely pace…

IMG_0287_Slow Dancer

Slow Dancer

Michael Erb avatarMichael Erb
      Participant

This is a great idea for a thread!  I love the shapes that puffy cumulus clouds make.  Here’s one:

DSC_6730

A bird, perhaps?

Participant

here’s one that sure looks like something — does it make you think of anything (maybe a flying fish)? kinda looks like a familiar bug but i can’t put my finger on it

coronovirus60

Participant

You’re so right, Michael. This thread is full of whimsical, story-inspiring, other-worldly fun. A virtual Palace of Pareidolic Pleasure! To my eye, A Bird Perhaps? looks like a little chick cloud-maker using its breath to peep a tiny cloud into being.

Richard, a lovely winged creature you’ve captured there. Like you, I see a flying fish, plus a hint of dragon fly as well.

Today, in celebration of World Octopus Day, this wee one would like to join the thread.

IMG_0809_At Home In A Deep Blue Sea [Octopus]At Home In A Deep Blue Sea of Sky

Participant

Michael, I see your cute cumulus chick hopped over to the Gallery. Congratulations!

The creature below was so startling in definition when I first saw him that I did a double-take. The original photo has only been cropped and contrast pushed just a bit to draw him out from the background. I only wish I could hear what he appears so eager to say.

IMG_9380_Have You Heard The One About The..Have You Heard The One About The…

Participant

Have you heard about the …. parrot in the sky?

2021-09 Charigny (181)-1

Much fun above! The white puffy cloud by Michael makes me think of a little chick and I think Richard spotted a dragonfly. And I love the snail in Slow Dancer by Keelin. A great find and cloudscape as well.

Participant

Nice parrot!  And cool octopus, Keelin!  Here’s another octopus to join the party:

DSC_6729

Here’s a page I made with more cloud shapes, taken over the span of two days last year: https://www.weatherdetectives.org/cloud-shapes

Participant

Michael, Hans, Richard, and Keelin, what imaginations you guys have going.  I am going to join the fun with a:

Big Anteater P1100098 (2)

Participant

Izzy The LizardP1100167 (2)

Participant

Great website Michael (Erb) with the weatherdetectives.

Ruth, your anteater made me think of the Ardvark and the Ant. Great cartoon.

2021-09 Charigny (172)-1

One Day In El Dorado

Participant

Michael, thanks for sharing the link to your great website. Endless fun, isn’t it? Your octopus in that big sea of blue sky looks to be on the move, and like his sea-dwelling cousin, appears ready to take on a completely new form in the next moment.

Ah Ruth, your Anteater charms. Ever since I had an enchanting dream about a Myrmecophaga Tridactyla, I’ve been enamored by them. He too, looks to be on the move, as does your dashing quick Izzy.

And Hans, WOW! What is going on in El Dorado?! I want to read the story and see the film on that one. A fantastic image!

I think this next creature might also live in same neighborhood. I’m not sure if it only comes out at night.

IMG_8817_BW_Another El Dorado Resident?Another El Dorado Resident?

Participant

Hans,  El Dorado is best and so intriguing.  Keelin,  your night crawler looks friendly enough.

P1100199 (2)

Five Toes Or Phalanges

Participant

Thanks for the nice words about my website, Hans and Keelin!  And keep posting such cool photos, folks!  What do you all see in this one?

DSC_6749

Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan Bulman
      Participant

A single-masted boat sailing the summer sky.

005 (2)

Participant

A lightning bolt.

2008_08020001 (2)

Participant

Ruth, your Five Toes has me wondering if that footprint could belong to Big Foot from Bigfork.

And Michael, I can’t help but see a very happy fledgling celebrating the joy of new-found wings.

Duncan, I love your visions that elicit mood as well as awe. Lighting bolt in color and formation leads me to ask: Is everyone ready for Halloween?

Below are a few clouds collected since last Hallow’s Eve. The original photos, as surprising as it may be, have only been cropped and/or contrast/color slightly adjusted for seasonal effect.

IMG_6005_WB_Devil CloudHorned Devil Head With An Unhappy Expression

IMG_8437_On A MissionOn A Mission To Find Dorothy

IMG_8495_BW_Surrealistic PillowSurrealistic Pillow (stuffed with dreams that go bump in the night!)

Participant

Michael,  I am getting a happy running chicken from your nice cloud photo.  Keep them coming and running.

Duncan, love your boat and bolt.  The oranges are rich!

Keelin,  Dorothy, pillow, and the devil are right on for the 2021 Halloween.

P1011461 (2)

Wild Boar On The Loose

Participant

A submarine on the prowl.

130511 006w

Participant

Duncan, a bunch of nice colors in your submarine.

A Mending Heart ( Or A Skull ) P1100225 (2)

Participant

Ruth,

I’m going with heart otherwise it’s a very strange shaped skull.

Participant

Could Cupid be as stealthy as your submarine, Duncan? And maybe mend the Heart that Ruth spotted? There’s a fair wind blowing, let’s hope his aim is good.

IMG_1044_Cupid Takes AimCupid Takes Aim

Participant

Channelling your inner romantic poet, Keelin?

Participant

As often as possible, Duncan! ;) Sometimes it’s hard to resist being influenced by the bards.

IMG_1149_A Cloud As Lovely As A TreeA Cloud As Lovely As A Tree

Participant

A frost covered tree.

Participant

https://youtu.be/lhP52caGW6s

I watched this TED talk by CAS founder Gavin Pretor-Pinney, not sure why I had never watched it before.

Anyway…It reminded me of this.

Leisure (1911)
        W.H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
        We have no time to stand and stare?-

No time to stand beneath the boughs
        And stare as long as sheep or cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
        Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
        Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
        And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
        Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
        We have no time to stand and stare.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

That’s great, Duncan. Your comment reminds me of my Volunteer project (not clouds):
        https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/hillier-gardens-wildlife-uk3760023864

hygge

Participant

Keelin, your Halloween captures are fantastic. I love ‘Horned Devil Head With An Unhappy Expression’, ‘On A Mission To Find Dorothy’ (beware Dorothy!) and’Surrealistic Pillow’ (might that one be taken from a Jefferson Airplane?). Love them all three. And your ‘A Cloud As Lovely As A Tree’ is poetry itself that you don’t even have two writ yourself. In my opinion there is no need to resist the bards to inspire you. On the contrary.

Also Duncan got inspired to quote W.H. Davies. Very nice. Maybe we don’t have time to stand and stare but I promise I will do over and over again.

Ruth, a heart or a skull? That’s one for Halloween for sure. I agree with you on the running chicken by Michael.

2021-11 Wolken (8)-1

A Dormouse Playing With A Rainbow

Participant

Duncan, thank you for posting Davies’ poem. I’m with Hans, and cloud-lovers far and wide, on the promise to stand and stare, in wonder and awe.

Hygge, thanks for the link. Your worthwhile project would have me looking both down and up for beauty in all its forms.

And danke je for your kind comments, Hans. So glad you enjoyed the seasonal tricks & treats. And yes, you are right and needn’t ask Alice about the inspiration for that title. ;) Your Dormouse had great timing to catch that strip of rainbow.

Let’s hope the little feathered friend below can find both timing and his wings quickly…

IMG_1169_Flight Coach & FledglingFlight Coach & Fledgling

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Up is pretty wild too, Keelin. And thank you for your kind words, as ever.

Sadly, the words below are a link to my picture which I think are gulls in pleasant clouds, but I cropped the clouds without thinking of CAS; and sadly because I suspect this ‘Reply’ is not going to work on the Forum.

EDIT: it didn’t work and I already deleted the picture from my computer, but I will try a new topic with the iNaturalist picture.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Participant

Keelin, your cold looking tree cloud is in my near future .  Snow levels dropping soon.

Hans, fun dormouse, looking like he has found enough to eat.

Dog With Nice Teeth Or ChoppersP1100456 (2)

Participant

Was sent this today.  Don’t know where it was taken or who the photographer was.

Cat Cloud

cat cloud (1)

Peter Roper avatarPeter Roper
      Participant

Merge like a zipDSCF3242

Participant

Merge like a zipDSCF3242

Participant

My Dog Ready For A Walk – Barking It Up P1100466 (2)

Participant

Can I add one more the the dog and cat collection? This one is barking too, maybe in protest to whatever that is flying down to tease it.

IMG_0231_Barking Dog

Participant

Might it be this dragonish creature that so inspires the bark?

IMG_8274_Terrifying Terrier TeaserTerrifying Terrier Teaser

Participant

Very funny Keelin your Terrifying Terrier Teaser. Love the teaser and the former terrier as well.
      Next one is already on the gallery but now – since terriers are involved – it must be also here.

2020-09 Ch Wolken (14)-1
      I Am Not Impressed At All

Participant

This Is My Rescue Terrier Waiting for Me to Feed Him ( sitting patiently ) P1011595 (2)

Participant

Hans, your terrier looks to be having a grand time there, flying about. And Ruth, if you think yours is hungry, just imagine what it would take to sate this creature.

IMG_8814_BW_Big AppetiteBig Appetite

Participant

Keelin, mighty fine creature you found out there.  I guess we all need a good meal.

Mouse After Poodle P1070891 (2)

Participant

You’re ever so right, Ruth. (“We all need a good meal.”) Well said!

IMG_0431_Well Fed!
      Well Fed!

Participant

Lots of good food above in the sky, Ruth and Keelin. A nice snack is welcome when watching the wild animals jump through a burning hoop.

2021-09 Charigny (162)-1

Circus In The Sky

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker.
      Participant

Hans,  you may have a tiger there.

Looking for nectar ( Keelin – food again ) is my:

Early HummingbirdP1011779 (2)

Participant

That fiery leap is a hard act to follow, Hans! I hope your tiger was not singed.

And Ruth, I trust your wee hummingbird will find a sweet treat.

Meanwhile, watch out for this creature which appears to be on the hunt for a bite-sized nibble.

IMG_1667_Time For A TreatTime For A Treat

Participant

Keelin, you may have an alligator there in Napa.

My Terrier On His Magic CarpetP1011633 (2)

Participant

Ruth, I think there’s something fishy going on there as well.

Participant

You’ve a keen eye there, Duncan.

Or might that be a hitchhiking snail that’s taken an unfortunate tumble off the magic carpet, Ruth? I trust your terrier’s got a good grip. And I can only hope such a small snail would make a safe landing and not get squished like others I’ve seen.

IMG_1151_Alas, Poor Cornu Aspersum! [Squished Snails]Alas, Poor Cornu Aspersum!

Participant

Keelin, you could have found some sea horses.  We must have imaginations like children.

My Friend’s Schnauzer ( he is a good boy )P1100814 (2)

Participant

So true, Ruth. It’s great fun to let our imaginations off leash. And clouds certainly provide endless opportunities for play.

IMG_1146_Tre Gets A TrimTre Gets A Trim And A Treat (He’s a good boy too!)

Participant

Keelin, funny thing with animals, always about the treats.

P1100844 (2) Sneaky Cat

Participant

Friendly Croc Looking For A SandwichP1100953 (2)

Participant

You’re so right, Ruth. All creatures great and small, sneaky or otherwise, enjoy a tasty snack.

IMG_1544_Just A Little AppetizerJust A Little Appetizer

Participant

Keelin, oh yum with your appetizer.

Cloud SpanielP1100987 (2)

Participant

Here’s a toy for your Spaniel to play with, Ruth…

IMG_1425_My Little PonyMy Little Pony

Participant

Love the Pony Keelin.  Do you remember Mickey Mouse?  P1022042 (2)  Mickey Mouse Club

Participant

An Eagle Looking To LandP1022199 (2)

Participant

Oh yes, Ruth, I do remember… and the Mickey Mouse Club afternoon TV show was a favorite back then. I especially loved “Anything Can Happen Day” — which is what looking at the sky is like, come to think of it.

That’s an impressive Eagle you spotted. And I think this pup would be driven to barking at it were it not being distracted by a tasty treat.

IMG_2013_Treat TimeSnack Distration

Participant

It’s funny how different people see things differently.

Ruth, you see a little dog and I see the continents before they separated.  The Americas are on the left with Africa to the right.

Participant

Of course, I meant to say Keelin – senior moment.

Participant

It’s always fun to see what others see in our shared clouds, Duncan. And as Hans pointed out ages ago, once seen….  Thanks to you, I can now easily spot the early lay of the lands back when dinosaurs such as the one below roamed.

This one seems to be stomping in a rage about having lost his tail, maybe feeling  a bit envious of his lizard cousin’s talent for regeneration. Do you see what I see?

IMG_2003_A Tale of No TailA Tale of No Tail

Participant

Keelin, I see a face half-veiled with a mask as if to cover some disfigurement but not a human face.  Also, I see a man sitting maybe at a piano or a desk.  Look at what would be the nose of the face.  And on the left, I’m also seeing a crustacean with its many legs.  No dino though.

Participant

Keelin, the more I look at No Tail, I’m seeing an interesting face.  All features right sided except the month.  Very cool.

Duncan, I find a glass of wine helps figure clouds out.

P1022491 (2) Shark Alert

Participant

Ruth, no drink is needed here to distort my senses.  I want to see that shark coming.

Participant

Ruth, what a sneaky shark creeping along in the shadows!

Keelin, it took me ages to spot the face despite having had a glass of red and two small glasses of Calvados. Now it’s all I can see.

Participant

Oh yes, I now see the face too, Ruth! And I like it very much. Mysterious, with that veil of cloud over the other half of it. I wish I could hear what tale s/he has to tell!

Your shark there looks a bit scary. Maybe he just needs a treat?

For the big guy below, some munching on some fresh tree shoots or binging on bananas will likely keep him from going bananas. Then, a nice bath might just make his day.

IMG_1999_Got Mud?

Got Mud?

Participant

What I see here is the distorted face of a tormented soul.

Participant

Ah Peter, can’t say you’ve not given it a good go! Once another image is revealed, it can be fun to toggle back and forth between them.

And Duncan, I see now the fellow sitting and the crustacean! What more might be found?

If you’ve not yet spotted the dinosaur, here’s a nudge that might help him come out stomping.

And who knows what this set of clouds has since become? I suppose we’ll just have to keep our eyes on the skies to find out.

Dino

Participant

aah, a cartoon dino.

“There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton

“Clouds in the sky very much resemble the thoughts in our minds! Both changes perpetually from one second to another!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan.
      Participant

Keelin, your Mud and Dinosaur are a true sky reads.  I think those creatures know when to present themselves.

Dog After A CookieP1011959 (2)

Participant

Hope your dog catches his treat, Ruth—before it turns into something else!

Meanwhile, I’ve been wondering if the natural metamorphosis of clouds may have inspired Kafka.

IMG_2078_Kafka_Alas Poor George!Alas, Poor George!

Participant

Keelin,  boy do I like George.  The deep blue is striking.

Dare I Say Billy Goat   P1110215 (2)

Participant

Glad you enjoyed the sighting of George, Ruth. And it was only a matter of time before our old friend Billy made another appearance. Good catch!

Below, could he be late for a tea party? Or hopping off to collect some brightly colored eggs?

IMG_2124_No Time To Say Hello Goodbye!No Time To Say Hello Goodbye!

Participant

Keelin, I do believe you have an animal on the run.  Way cool picture.  Big head-dress going on.

Whether one has their eyes crossed or one has had some exceptional wine, my sweet small

P1110273 (2) Elephant Would Like to Say Hi.

Participant

Your Elephant is adorable, Ruth. Perhaps he will be entertained by this…

IMG_2118_High Wire ActHigh Wire Act

Participant

That’s a great act on the wire Keelin. No Time To Say Hello Goodbye! must have been taken in Wonderland. Love it!  And I love to see you spotted Billy, Ruth.

Meanwhile at this side of the ocean…..

2022-03 Wolken (2)-1

Ostriches That Took Their Heads Out Of The Sand To Look Eagerly For Billy

Participant

Hans, for starters congratulations on that fantastic Cloud A Day from today.  It had many way cool elements.  Ostriches on the look out has made an impression.

Man With Hat Thinking About FishingP1022586 (2)

Participant

Love the Man With Hat…, Ruth! It teases the imagination in a most delightful way.

And your Ostriches, Hans, are keen eyed! I think they may have spotted our friend — or at least an impressionistic portrait of him.

IMG_2130_Billy Blue

Billy Blue

Participant

Keelin, animals show up flying in the sky don’t they.

Poodles RuleP1110420 (2)

Participant

That’s a playful looking Poodle, Ruth!

And just so you know, no creatures were injured in the scene below.IMG_2452_What The Cat Brought In

What The Cat Brought In

Viewing 86 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.