Community Pages

Please accept our new Terms & Conditions before contributing to our Community Pages. Any content you contribute will be publicly visible. We expect contributors to show respect, courtesy and an appreciation of the atmosphere we all share.

Filter Photos:

You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin
      Participant

Ah! A couple of additional postings slipped into Volume III without notice — and the party that was started there must continue here. It’s an open invitation to all who wish to attend! A few more guests have arrived…

IMG_4353_Making An AppearanceMaking An Appearance

And one who didn’t quite…

IMG_5970_Just Missed His Uber Ride on a Witch's BroomJust Missed His Uber Ride on a Witch’s Broom

And one about to enjoy…

IMG_5987_Gargoyle & MoonA Tiny Moon Hors ‘oeuvre

Participant

That moon chip could be chased down with a fine microbrew flavored with a few traditional ingredients (e.g., Eye of Newt) gathered only by young witch apprentices in shade-dappled forests on nights of the full moon. Cheers & Happy Halloween to all!

IMG_5775_Apprentice_ Eye Of NewtApprentice

PS: Don’t miss Michael’s beautiful ‘Happy Halloween’ photo in the Sunrise/Sunset topic folder and Hans’s foreboding storm cloud featured today on the CAS Gallery.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thank you Keelin. I love your Apprentice and the story as well. You created a great start of Volume IV. Making An Appearance shows a beautiful scenery and A Tiny Moon Hors d’oeuvre presents a scary hungry monster. He seems to be much more scarying than the friendly looking Apprentice (but that can be misleading after all and turn out even more scarying?).

2018-04 Wolken_0049 asr klein

Oops, Just Missed Halloween

Participant

Danke je, Hans. There’s something tenderly amusing in the slightly dismayed looked of the wee character who Just Missed Halloween. But no worries. There will doubtless be another gathering next year, so plenty of time to come up with cloud-woven costumes.

Meanwhile, perhaps we can just drift along with a celestial version of Alaria esculenta, also known as dabberlocks, or quite simply…

IMG_2480_Alaria Esculenta Adrift_Winged KelpWinged Kelp

Ruth Quist avatarRUTH QUIST
      Participant

P1060821 (2)Three Little Pigs

Participant

Looks like your Three Little Pigs are on the trot, Ruth! Were they chasing this fellow? I think he’s fallen into a vat of suds—and apparently happy about it. Cheers!

IMG_8230_Smurf In The SudsSmurf In The Suds

Participant

Keelin,  nice gallery photo yesterday.P1050274 (2)The State Of Florida

Participant

Thanks, Ruth, and same compliment to you on that pretty, pastel sunset shot over the river.

Could The State Of Florida be the start of a 50-cloud collection? For awhile now, I’ve been slowly gathering letterforms and symbols. Not quite halfway with the letters and only eight symbols, so still a bit to go.

Meanwhile, how old do you suppose these sky scratches might be?

IMG_8301_Ancient EngravingsAncient Engravings

Participant

Keelin,  I am thinking a game of chess on your Ancient Engravings or Russian stacking dolls.  Just a note on how wonderful it is to have a photo posted on the gallery.  I send pictures in weekly for review.  Love it when a photo is accepted.  Always makes me want to go out on cloud safari.  I have my favorite spots where the view is more open.  I also like the time alone to wait out cloud activity.  Needing a get away soon myself.

Participant

Speaking of cloud safaris, Ruth, I suppose that would be one way to still see some creatures like this favorite. Gone, but never forgotten…

IMG_4266_The Dodo of MauritiusThe Dodo of Mauritius

Participant

Keelin, more playmates.P1060897 (2)Deer On The Move

Participant

Your Deer On The Move fits well with the season, Ruth. Below, a winged traveler stops by a favorite watering hole along the flock’s migration route.

IMG_4401_Little Duck Big PondLittle Duck, Big Pond

Participant

Nice feathers Keelin.P1060861 (2)Have A Heart

Participant

Lovely Heart, Ruth! And here’s a little something to go with it…

IMG_8089_A Wink & A SmileA Wink & A Smile

Participant

Keelin, nothing like a smile.P1060915 (2)China Doll

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

DSC_8635 (wecompress.com)

Wonderful shots Keelin and Ruth! Both made smile! Here’s one I took just the other day. One of the best cloud-watching days I’ve had in a while.

Fish or Arrow?

Participant

Thanks, Gregory! And who’s to say that’s not an Arrowfish? When it comes to clouds, the untethered mind is well encouraged here, as evidenced by all those who enjoy posting to this fanciful topic.

Below, the photo has been color-inverted to bring the ‘Night’s Merry Wanderer’ more visibly out to play. That said, it is still all cloud, no mischief, just pure merriment.

IMG_4129_Shakespeare’s PuckShakespeare’s Puck

Participant

Oopsie! Tinker Bell has fallen into the Sea where her wings are melting. But worry not! Magical creature that she is, she is having no trouble morphing into a mermaid.

IMG_8445_Transformation In Process [Tinker Bell Morphing Into A Mermaid]Transformation In Process

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Keelin, sorry no cloud-thing from me available yet but I must say your Shakespeare’s Puck is fantastic. It is like made with charcoal and just as the Night’s Merry Wanderer must look like.

Transformation in Process is marvelous and the story is reassuring for poor Tinker Bell and for me as well. Love it.

Participant

Thank you, Hans! You just never know who is up there until you look up there! Be that as it may, I’m not sure about the photo below. Looks to me like it could be either Einstein (who has dropped his chalk in a moment of brilliant insight) or Beethoven (whose baton has slipped his grip). Only a moment or two later, as is the way of clouds, either/or became neither/nor. Perhaps they are both on their way across the pond?

IMG_8300_Einstein or Beethoven?

Participant

P1070041 (2)Zorro No Tonto

Participant

While the cloud below is not a precise fit for what swam out of Zorro No Tonto, Ruth, who knows what it might look like when it comes around again?

IMG_8605_Fresh Flashy FishFresh Flashy Fish  <—[just for fun, try saying that three times]

Participant

Is that you, Blitzen?

IMG_8351_Is That You, Blitzen?

Participant

Keelin,  I really like your fish.  Glad it is not in a fish bowl.P1050762 (2)A Pig With Sunglasses

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Your fish made me laugh Keelin. I made it through 2 times of saying that phrase before getting my tongue-tied. Ruth, I love your piggy with sunglasses, he seems to still need his glasses even though the sun seems it’s close to setting.

This is a picture that brings me great excitement, I believe this is my first horseshoe vortex cloud capture! I got up extra early to watch these clouds and I’m so happy I did.

DSC_8810

A Lucky Morning to Go Cloud Spotting

Participant

You did much better than I with that little tongue twister, Gregory. And lucky, indeed, to catch that horseshoe the clouds tossed you way. Worth an early rise!

And Ruth, when I saw the title of your photo in the posting notification email, I had to smile knowing you would treat us again to something fun. Definitely one cool pig!

A different kind of cool below…IMG_8485_Polar Bear CubPolar Bear Cub

Participant

Keelin, fabulous gallery photo today.  Plus a corona.  Fun shot for you and your camera.P1060047 (2)Junk Yard Dog

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! Yes, it was a fun surprise to see such a bright display right over a neighbor’s roof. Just goes to show you never know what’s there until you glance up—from a Junk Yard Dog to this fellow below. His startled look gives me the feeling he’s just realized the source of that feather in his cap.

IMG_8645_The Problem With Plucked PlumageThe Problem With Plucked Plumage

Participant

Who says they don’t exist?
      IMG_8242_UnicornUnicorn

Participant

IMG_8448_Time For A New ToothbrushTime For A New Toothbrush?

Participant

It’s written that Leafy Sea Dragons may live up to ten years in the wild, but alas, this one was swept away by a capricious wind to become, well, something else* in form, though not in essence.

IMG_8845_Little Leafy Sea DragonLittle Leafy Sea Dragon

*posted to Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVII

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.