Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume IV

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Ah! A couple of additional postings slipped into Volume III without notice — and the party that was started there must continue here. It’s an open invitation to all who wish to attend! A few more guests have arrived…

IMG_4353_Making An AppearanceMaking An Appearance

And one who didn’t quite…

IMG_5970_Just Missed His Uber Ride on a Witch's BroomJust Missed His Uber Ride on a Witch’s Broom

And one about to enjoy…

IMG_5987_Gargoyle & MoonA Tiny Moon Hors ‘oeuvre

Participant

That moon chip could be chased down with a fine microbrew flavored with a few traditional ingredients (e.g., Eye of Newt) gathered only by young witch apprentices in shade-dappled forests on nights of the full moon. Cheers & Happy Halloween to all!

IMG_5775_Apprentice_ Eye Of NewtApprentice

PS: Don’t miss Michael’s beautiful ‘Happy Halloween’ photo in the Sunrise/Sunset topic folder and Hans’s foreboding storm cloud featured today on the CAS Gallery.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thank you Keelin. I love your Apprentice and the story as well. You created a great start of Volume IV. Making An Appearance shows a beautiful scenery and A Tiny Moon Hors d’oeuvre presents a scary hungry monster. He seems to be much more scarying than the friendly looking Apprentice (but that can be misleading after all and turn out even more scarying?).

2018-04 Wolken_0049 asr klein

Oops, Just Missed Halloween

Participant

Danke je, Hans. There’s something tenderly amusing in the slightly dismayed looked of the wee character who Just Missed Halloween. But no worries. There will doubtless be another gathering next year, so plenty of time to come up with cloud-woven costumes.

Meanwhile, perhaps we can just drift along with a celestial version of Alaria esculenta, also known as dabberlocks, or quite simply…

IMG_2480_Alaria Esculenta Adrift_Winged KelpWinged Kelp

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

P1060821 (2)Three Little Pigs

Participant

Looks like your Three Little Pigs are on the trot, Ruth! Were they chasing this fellow? I think he’s fallen into a vat of suds—and apparently happy about it. Cheers!

IMG_8230_Smurf In The SudsSmurf In The Suds

Participant

Keelin,  nice gallery photo yesterday.P1050274 (2)The State Of Florida

Participant

Thanks, Ruth, and same compliment to you on that pretty, pastel sunset shot over the river.

Could The State Of Florida be the start of a 50-cloud collection? For awhile now, I’ve been slowly gathering letterforms and symbols. Not quite halfway with the letters and only eight symbols, so still a bit to go.

Meanwhile, how old do you suppose these sky scratches might be?

IMG_8301_Ancient EngravingsAncient Engravings

Participant

Keelin,  I am thinking a game of chess on your Ancient Engravings or Russian stacking dolls.  Just a note on how wonderful it is to have a photo posted on the gallery.  I send pictures in weekly for review.  Love it when a photo is accepted.  Always makes me want to go out on cloud safari.  I have my favorite spots where the view is more open.  I also like the time alone to wait out cloud activity.  Needing a get away soon myself.

Participant

Speaking of cloud safaris, Ruth, I suppose that would be one way to still see some creatures like this favorite. Gone, but never forgotten…

IMG_4266_The Dodo of MauritiusThe Dodo of Mauritius

Participant

Keelin, more playmates.P1060897 (2)Deer On The Move

Participant

Your Deer On The Move fits well with the season, Ruth. Below, a winged traveler stops by a favorite watering hole along the flock’s migration route.

IMG_4401_Little Duck Big PondLittle Duck, Big Pond

Participant

Nice feathers Keelin.P1060861 (2)Have A Heart

Participant

Lovely Heart, Ruth! And here’s a little something to go with it…

IMG_8089_A Wink & A SmileA Wink & A Smile

Participant

Keelin, nothing like a smile.P1060915 (2)China Doll

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

DSC_8635 (wecompress.com)

Wonderful shots Keelin and Ruth! Both made smile! Here’s one I took just the other day. One of the best cloud-watching days I’ve had in a while.

Fish or Arrow?

Participant

Thanks, Gregory! And who’s to say that’s not an Arrowfish? When it comes to clouds, the untethered mind is well encouraged here, as evidenced by all those who enjoy posting to this fanciful topic.

Below, the photo has been color-inverted to bring the ‘Night’s Merry Wanderer’ more visibly out to play. That said, it is still all cloud, no mischief, just pure merriment.

IMG_4129_Shakespeare’s PuckShakespeare’s Puck

Participant

Oopsie! Tinker Bell has fallen into the Sea where her wings are melting. But worry not! Magical creature that she is, she is having no trouble morphing into a mermaid.

IMG_8445_Transformation In Process [Tinker Bell Morphing Into A Mermaid]Transformation In Process

Participant

Keelin, sorry no cloud-thing from me available yet but I must say your Shakespeare’s Puck is fantastic. It is like made with charcoal and just as the Night’s Merry Wanderer must look like.

Transformation in Process is marvelous and the story is reassuring for poor Tinker Bell and for me as well. Love it.

Participant

Thank you, Hans! You just never know who is up there until you look up there! Be that as it may, I’m not sure about the photo below. Looks to me like it could be either Einstein (who has dropped his chalk in a moment of brilliant insight) or Beethoven (whose baton has slipped his grip). Only a moment or two later, as is the way of clouds, either/or became neither/nor. Perhaps they are both on their way across the pond?

IMG_8300_Einstein or Beethoven?

Participant

P1070041 (2)Zorro No Tonto

Participant

While the cloud below is not a precise fit for what swam out of Zorro No Tonto, Ruth, who knows what it might look like when it comes around again?

IMG_8605_Fresh Flashy FishFresh Flashy Fish  <—[just for fun, try saying that three times]

Participant

Is that you, Blitzen?

IMG_8351_Is That You, Blitzen?

Participant

Keelin,  I really like your fish.  Glad it is not in a fish bowl.P1050762 (2)A Pig With Sunglasses

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Your fish made me laugh Keelin. I made it through 2 times of saying that phrase before getting my tongue-tied. Ruth, I love your piggy with sunglasses, he seems to still need his glasses even though the sun seems it’s close to setting.

This is a picture that brings me great excitement, I believe this is my first horseshoe vortex cloud capture! I got up extra early to watch these clouds and I’m so happy I did.

DSC_8810

A Lucky Morning to Go Cloud Spotting

Participant

You did much better than I with that little tongue twister, Gregory. And lucky, indeed, to catch that horseshoe the clouds tossed you way. Worth an early rise!

And Ruth, when I saw the title of your photo in the posting notification email, I had to smile knowing you would treat us again to something fun. Definitely one cool pig!

A different kind of cool below…IMG_8485_Polar Bear CubPolar Bear Cub

Participant

Keelin, fabulous gallery photo today.  Plus a corona.  Fun shot for you and your camera.P1060047 (2)Junk Yard Dog

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! Yes, it was a fun surprise to see such a bright display right over a neighbor’s roof. Just goes to show you never know what’s there until you glance up—from a Junk Yard Dog to this fellow below. His startled look gives me the feeling he’s just realized the source of that feather in his cap.

IMG_8645_The Problem With Plucked PlumageThe Problem With Plucked Plumage

Participant

Who says they don’t exist?
      IMG_8242_UnicornUnicorn

Participant

IMG_8448_Time For A New ToothbrushTime For A New Toothbrush?

Participant

It’s written that Leafy Sea Dragons may live up to ten years in the wild, but alas, this one was swept away by a capricious wind to become, well, something else* in form, though not in essence.

IMG_8845_Little Leafy Sea DragonLittle Leafy Sea Dragon

*posted to Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVII

Participant

Keelin, I feel that your Unicorn, Sea Dragon, and toothbrush needs some serious company ofP1070004 (2) Boris The Spider

Participant

P1070366 (2)A Feather In Your Cap

Participant

Boris The Spider is welcomed company, Ruth. And perhaps this feathered friend has another offering for your cap? I’m sure she would be pleased.

Peacock's PleasureMs. Peacock’s Pleasure

Participant

Keelin, one loves the colorful feathers and textures of a peacock.P1070396 (2)Men In A Canoe

Participant

Men In A Canoe is a great, adventurous scene, Ruth. It is surely a fine way to traverse the skies.

Below, it appears a robot has extended its eyes for a close encounter with an alien beauty. A ghostly, horned figure stands by. A chaperone perhaps?

IMG_9034_All The Better To See You With, My DearAll The Better To See You With, My Dear

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

One might wonder what this wizard has in mind. For those not yet under his spell, you’ll find him lurking in the southwest corner, keeping a watchful eye on you.

IMG_8713_WB_Wizard's WatchWizard’s Watch

Participant

Keelin, your wizard has tons of character.  Must be the nose and mouth.P1070683 (2)Dog Reaching For A Paw Hand Shake

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! And here’s a frisky one who looks like he’s just jumped out of a bath and is ready to accept your pup’s invitation—suds and all.

IMG_9054_Let's Shake!Let’s Shake!

Participant

More molars for the Tooth Fairy?

IMG_8603_Forsooth, The Tooth!Forsooth, The Tooth!

Participant

Keelin, wonderful and fun images.

Soccer Anyone

P1070737 (2)

Participant

Thank you, Ruth! Your Soccer Anyone captures the spirit of play well.

Below, it looks to me like an arctic fox might be dreaming about accepting your invitation. Or perhaps he is simply…

IMG_9087_Arctic Fox Dreaming of the Midnight Sun Dreaming Of The Midnight Sun

Participant

Dreaming Of The Midnight Sun is fantastic Keelin. A sleeping arctic fox with one ear on a colorful pillow.  Also a great corona btw and I loved to see it also on the gallery.

Soccer anyone is very funny and I’d love to play soccer Ruth. But for some reason my pareidolic eye has abandoned me for a while. I will come back to play when the clouds will unveil new thingy’s to me.

Participant

Keelin,  I am with Hans on this one of yours, a beauty of the Midnight Sun plus the Gallery today.  Perfect and congrats!

Participant

Ah, thank you Hans and Ruth! I should like to have that fox’s dream.

Hans: While Ruth and I are having great fun on this topic, I hope it’s not long before your parabolic vision returns so you can join us again. I very much miss your playful postings here. May new cloud ‘thingys’ find their way to your eye sooner than soon.

IMG_9307_Cloud Cloudspotters Waiting For Something To Take ShapeCloud Cloudspotters Waiting For Something To Take Shape

Participant

I feel like one of your lovely Cloud Cloudspotters Keelin. Watching out for thingy’s to appear in the clouds. I had a good laugh about it!. Great to start the day with.

And is it an unwanted intervention of the spelling check that wanted to give me back my parabolic vision? I promise that sure will help and I hope to be back here soon. I keep my head in the sky.

Participant

Ah, that spell that spellcheck casts upon us is such a bit of mischief, Hans! But it does, at least sometimes, give us a good laugh.

And here’s another bit of mischief… Could it be a right peg-legged, foxy character (missing a left peg)? He may be displaying an empty, turned-out pocket, but he’s probably got something up his sleeve, hidden behind his back, of course. The sly fellow!

IMG_9124_Foxy Peg-leg_Foxy Mischief-Maker

Foxy Fellow

Participant

Love your Foxy Fellow Keelin. I think I understand why he seems to be worried. This sly fellow is maybe on his guard for he spotted a Bold Headed Eagle on the wing.

2021-03 Wolken (36)

His Name Might Be Kelvin

Participant

“Do you see yonder cloud that’s almost in shape of a camel?” (lower right corner)

How about that other creature backed like a weasel? (upper left corner)

They were almost quite something other only moments later…

IMG_9396_Camel and Weasel

Participant

Ah! Just now seeing your Bold Headed Eagle, Hans. That Kelvin casts an impressive shadow — a beautiful photo!

Participant

Apparently we were posting simultaneously Keelin. Yes I can see the weasel and the camel as well. A pity for them they were so short lived.

Participant

Remind you of anyone we know, Hans?

IMG_9367_Could It Be? BillyCould It Be?

Participant

Wow are there some animals out there in big sky world.  Hope no one will mind my

RatP1070847 (2)

Participant

Congrats Keelin! You have captured a great close-up of our Billy! What’s he chewing on? Love it. I suppose he vanished and I expect him to pop up later when we don’t ecpect him. I already look forward to that moment.

Never minde the rat Ruth. All animals are welcome here.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0194 c s4h4c0 klein

Oops It Swam Away!

Participant

Hans, your swam away was truly a colorful guy.  Keelin, OK, I see that finding a Billy goat is the big prize.

Flying Girl With Long Hair ( may be too a hood ornament )P1070944 (2)

Participant

Indeed, Ruth, it is as Hans has said. There’s as much room here for all cloud creatures as there is in the sky. Your lovely rat is most welcome. As is your Flying Girl with Long Hair — and it looks like she flew right into today’s Gallery line up as well. Congratulations on catching her mid-flight.

Hans, there was no doubt in my mind you’d recognize our old buddy Billy G even though it’s been awhile. And I hope that beauty that Oops Swam Away returns as well.

As for what Billy’s might be chewing on, I don’t think it’s what the character below appears to be making such a face about.

IMG_9345_Not A Fan Of Dried Parsley

Not A Fan Of Dried Parsley

Participant

P1080097 (2)

Big White Friendly Whale

Participant

Looks like someone’s heard the welcoming song of your Big White Friendly Whale, Ruth—and he’s bringing along a Nudibranch to join the pod party (and maybe sing some harmony?).

The Whale & The NudibranchThe Whale And The Nudibranch

PS: Loved seeing your Montana sunrise over the river on the Gallery! What a beautiful start to the day.

Participant

Keelin, thanks for your compliment on my morning sunrise.  Nothing like walking out of my camper with a cup of coffee and seeing that piece of beauty.

Thought I would add to your sea creatures with a

P1080196 (2)Water Elephant

Participant

A Water Elephant is just what was needed, Ruth. And how about we invite this fair creature from the land down under?

IMG_9305_Elegant EmuElegant Emu

Participant

Ruth, I love your Flying Girl With Long Hair. It has a good place on the gallery.

What a procession of different creatures I find above. Not A Fan Of Dried Parsley made me laugh Keelin and the Elegant Emu seems to wonder where he got into. Some strange thread with whales and nudibanches? Did it get just one drink too much?

2021-04 Wolken (132)-1

In An Octopus’s Garden?

Participant

Hans, once again your colors are so wonderful in Octopus.  Almost like an ocean storm.  Keelin, fantastic light captured in your Emu and Whale.  We don’t often see lovely turquoise.  From land to sea and now sky with

Eyebrows and Big LipsP1080255 (2)

Participant

Blowing SmokeP1080380 (2)

Participant

Ruth, your Blowing Smoke is very funny! I think you caught Aeolus in the act — or — maybe this creature has something to do with it?

IMG_9389_Are You Talking To Me?Are You Talking To Me?

Participant

Keelin, what a great character you captured.  Borrowed my husband’s

Anvil

P1080470 (2)

Participant

Ah, I meant to also comment on two other posts above…

It’s obvious the clouds love you, Ruth. Those Eyebrows and Big Lips don’t lie!

And Hans, I love your Octopus’s Garden! Who wouldn’t want to live there? In the photo below, I pushed the contrast a bit to catch the fish swimming in for a visit (on left partly hidden by seaweeds).

IMG_8979_A Visitor To The Octopus's GardenA Visitor To The Octopus’s Garden

Participant

Working on a Pig AppliqueP1080462 (2)

Participant

Not sure why I’ve recently encountered a glitch posting to this topic, but will try Gavin’s suggestion to separate the image from the text. So what follows may a 2-part reply (if it flies!)…

Participant

Referring to earlier postings: Thanks, Ruth! If that character above your amazing anvil is dragon-related, he might help heat up whatever is needed for the fellow below who could use a new shoe or four.

Participant

IMG_8261_Do You Have Something In A Size 6 Horeshoe?Do You Have Something In A Size 6 Horseshoe?

Participant

And regarding your Appliqué above, you’ll have to be quick with the stitches if that piggy is made of pure cloud. ;)

Participant

Testing a pig close up for posting problems today.P1080463 (2)

Participant

Keelin,  I am still trying to post.  Not much luck as yet.  Fun stuff for us lately.  I will be back.

Participant

Ruth, when I was having the recent difficulty with posting, Gavin responded and explained that sometimes the spam filter is to blame. I soon discovered that this was, indeed, the snag. The comment I’d been trying to post included a couple of words that might be frequently found in an advertisement. Rewording solved the problem! Maybe this is the same issue you’ve bumped into? And yes, we’ve certainly been having a lot of fun with this topic. :) I am always looking forward to your amusing finds and very clever titles.

IMG_6106_Hope to see you soon!Hope to see you soon!

Participant

One Mean Cat ( Keelin, thanks for the wording inform ). P1080569 (2)

Participant

Glad to see you’re able to post again, Ruth! Funny how I only saw one mouse at first facing off with your One Mean Cat. Yet this morning, there was a second mouse jumping away in pure fright/flight!

Here’s a feathered friend who appears safe for the time being.

IMG_9796_Out Of Reach [Bird on a Wire]Out Of Reach

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.
      Participant

I wondered what might be balancing on that little streak of cloud right below the sun…

IMG_9853_Iridescent Alien Character

A closer look (plus strongly enhanced contrast) revealed this character looking a bit startled. Some kind of Iridescent Sky Surfer anticipating a wipe out?

IMG_9853_ Iridescent Alien CharacterIn another moment, he was gone!

Participant

You made a beautiful series Keelin. Great to see Curtain Call in the somewhat occasional newsletter. And your Balancing Point is in the optical thread is as amazing as Curtain Call. Love the titles as well.

Participant

Danke je, Hans, for your kind compliments! The sky was full of wonderfulness that morning, including this fantastical creature swimming (or perhaps strolling on many, many thin legs?) through the blue.

IMG_9847_Sky WandererSky Wanderer

Participant

Keelin, fabulous clouds you have enjoyed and shared.  I’m starting to appreciate Cirrus.

Mom And Babe Elephant Out For A Walk ( or may be flying )

P1080702 (2)

Participant

Love your elephants, Ruth! A great capture that does no harm! It’s like catching a cloud fish. No hook or pain involved. This one looks to be ready for something more tasty than a worm.

IMG_9960_Delish Dish For A FishDelish Dish For A Fish

Participant

Keelin, a fish dish, plus I think you may have a little devil in that shot.  Let me help scare it off with

P1080761 (2)

A Barking Dog

Participant

A little devil for sure, Ruth! But I think we’re safely guarded by your barking dog. And if that doesn’t scare him off, the fish might still catch him by his tail and have him for dessert.

IMG_8410_Devilly DeliciousDevilly Delicious

Participant

Keelin, my your fish has a big mouth.  Exciting colors and textures in that one.

Skate Boarder Of The Sky ( must have good balance or will end up on land ) P1080900 (2)

Participant

Love your skateboarder, Ruth! Maybe better to ride the waves? This surfer dude duck would find a softer landing (although I do think he’s positioned a bit far back on the board).

IMG_8717_waiting for the perfect waveWaiting For The perfect Wave

Participant

Feeding the fish, skating and surfing on a wave. It is all in the sky and I love it.

These two came out of their usual habitat to check and enjoy what’s happening out in the sky.

2021-06 Charigny (205)-1

Two Mermaids

Participant

Hans, your swimming girls are too cute.  Love the dark grey.

Swans On The MoveP1080820 (2)

Participant

Love your frolicking Mermaids, Hans. And your elegant sailing Swans as well, Ruth. Somewhere on a distant shore, another smooth sailor…

IMG_9819_Nessy On A Foggy MornNessie On A Foggy Morn

Participant

Nessie is way cool Keelin.  Speaking about cool, it is awful hot in the NW.  Anything under 70 degrees works for me.

Pair Of Owl EyesP1090271 (2)

Participant

Love your Owl, Ruth! Looks like the wise, snowy kind which brings cool thoughts to mind. ’Tis hot here too (in Napa, CA), but not as toasty as further north. Be that as it may, would you care to join me for some Iced T? Below are two sips from a series still in process of collection. So far, I’ve only captured 11 of 26 letters for an English alphabet.

IMG_4638_Iced T_1

IMG_8821_Iced T_2

Iced Ts

Participant

Singing lessons? Chowing down? Getting a dental check-up? Whatever this creature is up to, he appears ready for it.

IMG_0225_Open Wide!Open Wide!

Richard Bergeman avatarRichard Bergeman
      Participant

the vivid imaginations on this thread are fun to see — there’s apparently much more up there than meets the eye! ……. i stumbled across these extraterrestrial sea creatures a few months agocoronavirus33

tadpole

coronavirus36

jellyfish

Participant

Love your wonderful sea creatures, Richard! Indeed, there is a lot for our imaginations to play with up there, sometimes even in the spaces in between the clouds.

I’m not sure what to make of this one below. Focusing on the negative space, my first thought was: Oh no, not another vacuum attachment! (There’s a photo of what looks like a duster brush attachment posted almost exactly year ago.) But then it turned into a conical, dark hat worn by a blue-eyed goat. Could it be our friend Billy, Hans? Looking a little coy there.

IMG_9821_...Or A Blue-Eyed Billy?…Or A Blue-Eyed Billy?

Participant

Back to the sea with:

SeahorseP1090339 (2)

Participant

that’s a clever little seahorse, ruth ….. here’s one that made me think of ‘ride of the valkyries,’ but on second thought looks more like santa and a few of his reindeer…..and that’s a much cheerier thought!

ride of the valkyries44

Participant

Sweet little Seahorse, Ruth. Gotta love that curled tail.

And both interpretations have appeal in your photo, Richard, with the black and white working well for either one.

IMG_0024_Cleopatra's Barge

Cleopatra’s Barge

Participant

Keelin, what a clever title.  The capture has such a cool feeling. Hot, dry, and smoky in my area.  Seeking anything refreshing.

Richard, your Santa does have a fast ride.

A Fish Called WandaP1090305 (2)

Participant

smoke signals

smoke signals45

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! Hope the skies soon clear for you there. The extreme heat makes everyone so nervous these days. I’m with you (and Wanda!) wishing to jump into something cooler.

Richard, I can see a dragon forming in your Smoke Signals. Is someone dreaming him up?

IMG_2491_WB_Pileus DreamsPileus Dreams

(the B&W image above is color reversed from the original)

Participant

emanations from a think tank?

11-ThinkTankEmanations

Participant

Whatever they were thinking in there, Richard, it looks like it was pretty exciting!

There’s thinking, of course, and then there’s dreaming. And sometimes those dreams take flight! See Clouds That Look Like Things, Volume V for the continuing story.

IMG_4738_Wild Horse DreamsWild Horse Dreams

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.