You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume II

Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume II

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds-that-look-like-things Volume II

This topic contains 44 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Keelin Keelin 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Keelin ended the first thread for Clouds-that-look-like-things (started by Ramona with an elephant) with the ingenious Mouse Witch With Wand.

So the size of the creatures presented in the first volume of Clouds-that-look-like-things has considerably diminished, but evidently not the magical powers. Please watch out for the spells this mouse might cast around. The winds already betray unrest in the sky so watch the direction of the winds carefully. I hope the winds will carry a lot of new things that look like clouds (?).

2018-11 Wolken_0044-2

Weathercock

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Thank you for casting the first spell, Hans, with a clever and regal looking Weathercock pointing the way. May the magic and mischief continue in all directions.

IMG_1464__She Tired To Block The WindShe Tried To Block The Wind To Ease Her Feathered Friend’s Flight

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Great vision and title Keelin. The feathered friends will be very pleased (as I  am), but the dogs started barking alarmed by so much pure magic in the air.

2018-11 Wolken_0036-3

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Every morning, I read comments to the CAS forum (delivered via email) before viewing the images online. And I must tell you, Hans, I couldn’t help but start smiling in anticipation when I read about the dogs barking. While I’ve come to expect clever replies from you (especially on this Looks-Like topic), sometimes I just have to laugh out loud when the image appears. That pack of pups is so perfect — and beyond funny!

And now…

IMG_1071__The Chase Is OnThe Chase is On

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Thank you very much Keelin for compliments. And thank you also for your own clever replies. They are all part of the fun in my opinion. I find a a great pleasure to check the forum every morning for new imaginative stories and lovely pictures.

And yes, The Chase Is On. I can see the dogs running and hunting. Guess who is about to be found? He has chosen the water again, supposedly to mislead the barking dogs.

2018-09 Charigny_0230-2

Billy Chooses To Flee Swimming

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

It’s reassuring to see Billy in such excellent form, Hans. And he should have no worries (despite his mischievous reputation). No doubt he has made several friends during his capricious crossings of the pond. Here is one who awaits a reunion.

IMG_1192_Just Ducky_croppedJust Ducky

Don
    Don
    Participant

dHatfield_42854Many years ago, I had an aunt who lived in a very poor neighborhood here in Dallas, Texas. She had a houseful (around 30) of cats, each with their own name. And one dog, who she called “puppy dog”.

I finally found the spirit of that dog in the sky. Thanks for the memories “Auntie”.

Don

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

What a perfect pup to fetch the sweet memory of your auntie, Don. I wouldn’t be surprised if you found all 30 of her cats as well. It can be a veritable zoo up there.

Below, a cloud fellow contemplates the fate of a polar bear, as fragile in the heavens as it is here on earth.

IMG_1491_Polar Bear

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

For too long no thingies.

The puppie dog by Don is a marvelous tribute to his Auntie. And yes the sky can be a true zoo Keelin. Great polar bear you captured. Although fierce and powerful, unfortunately also fragile. I hope the climate-tide will turn in time for him.

Sometimes the animals hide so I am still looking for species.

2018-09 Charigny_0119-2

On My Flying Carpet

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Looks like you’re in (or on) for a smooth ride, Hans! Can’t wait to see what you’ll see next. Meanwhile, I’ll be traveling via Dreamland Express. Funny how, since joining the CAS, I’ve become more aware of skyscapes in that other wondrous world as well.

IMG_1002_Just Need To Fluff Up My Cloud PillowJust Need To Fluff Up My Cloud Pillow

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Same applies to me Keelin. And that is a nice pillow to rest our weary heads on.

2018-12 Wolken_0047-3

Thank you René, ceci n’est pas un pipe

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Very clever and funny, Hans! I can imagine Monsieur Magritte might also have something to say about a certain moonlit portrait…

IMG_0473_Young BillyCeci n’est pas jeune Billy

neilsgti16v
    neilsgti16v
    Participant

I can’t put my finger on why, but I don’t like the practice of comparing clouds to things, somehow demeans the clouds, anyway heres a dragon!!

8S1A6531

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

I understand your point Neils, but luckily it did not withhold you from posting this very nice dragon. Without the comparison with a dragon this is already a very fine picture and composition. Thinking about your point of view I accept every cloud as it is, but sometimes they try to disguise a bit and play with our fantasies.

I recently spotted this Sky Insect

2018-12 Wolken_0066-2

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

A warm welcome to the forum, Neil! And thank you for sharing your first posting with us here. I hope we see more from you too. As Hans noted, it is a splendid cloud photo regardless of paraidolic associations. To my eye, of course, there is an immediate and unmistakable resemblance to Puff the Magic Dragon, which only enhances my enjoyment of it. Some people seem to have an irresistable tendency to see the familiar in the vaguest of shapes. Perhaps it is an inherited trait? It can also be surprisingly amusing when the eye is drawn to a portion of cloud and suddenly something blooms in one’s mind or memory. Like Hans’s lively Sky Insect. Wherever might it be heading?

IMG_0969_One Might WonderOne Might Wonder

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Well Keelin. I did wonder indeed, but eventually the face appeared and I thought how is it possible I had to look for it first. Very nice. And now he seems to be a friendly version of the violent white orc from the Lord Of The Rings. Or even a cloudy version of cubistic art! I hope pareidolia is harmless….

2018-05 Wolken_0251-2

Celestial Squid

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Indeed, it is so, Hans. Sometimes it takes a few moments with eyes relaxed, and then, as you’ve noted, what is seen cannot be unseen. And yet, while the cloud is still in its sea of sky, it may morph into something else entirely. By the time your splendid Celestial Squid crosses the pond, who knows what will be seen…

IMG_0730_On Close ExaminationOn Close Examination

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Yes Keelin, who knows what will be seen On Close Examination. Although pareidolia might not have to be stimulated ………

2018-11 Wolken_0109-2

Magic Mushroom?

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Downright trippy, Hans!

While the caterpillar crawled down from his mushroom perch to chat with a nearby flower, Alice sought to make sense of his remarks and figure out what was what and which side was which.

IMG_0495_CaterpillarGo Ask Alice

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Very nice Keelin. I really had to laugh about your reply. I wanted to ask Alice about like you suggested, but got stuck in the rabbit hole. I maybe had too much rarebit?

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Well, I don’t know if Alice could give an explanation of this one, Hans…

IMG_0108_Is It Obtuse?Is It Obtuse?

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

I don´t know Keelin whether it is obtuse Keelin. I think Miro was there. Very nice.

Alice entered the year 2019 and the mad Hatter must have had a hand in next one.

2018-09 Charigny_0222-3

And The Mask Was Also There

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Could it be The Mask gave him a fright? Why whatever is the matter, my dear Mad Hatter?

IMG_1797_Unhatted HatterUnhatted Hatter

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

The other way around, I should say. That’s a Unhatted Hatter that might give the Mask the fright, Keelin. Great capture, love it!

Keelin
      Keelin
      Participant

Thanks, Hans, and truth be told, Unheated Hatter is rotated 90˚ from original orientation — enough to make one’s own hat fall off, I dare say.

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

I’ve heard a rumor here in Napa that Goddess Diana was recently seen in the Valley of the Moon (as neighboring Sonoma is often called). She thought she might have left something behind and is now, of course, on the hunt, shall we say.

IMG_1816_Has Anyone Seen My Quiver?Has anyone seen my quiver?

PS: The cloud photo above is just as I saw it — really quite odd with nothing else like it anywhere else in the sky.

Don
    Don
    Participant

DH_42854

Lots of lost stuff in the sky, Keelin –

I think Luke Skywalker lost his light saber over Dallas . . . .

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Very spooky this hunting goddess Diana Keelin! I think she will be able to handle the saber sword Don captured with agility.

2018-10 Wolken_0048-2

New Found Deep Sea Species

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Love your New Found Deep Sea Species, Hans. Mystical and magical! It think the creature below has been hoping to find a kindred spirit for quite some time.

IMG_1615_So Glad To Meet YouSo Glad To Meet You

hygge
    Participant

This cirrus intortus is the January picture in the CAS 2019 Calendar. The spotter’s caption says ‘……The sky appeared to me as a wonderfully chaotic landscape full of imaginary creatures. What do you see?’

So, what does the Forum see, I wonder?

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/?s=groom

A disguised, yet to be announced sports car, came to my mind, but that’s silly.

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

A fantastic capture of Cirrus intortus! What I cannot help but see is some kind of Serious Tortoise (sorry, couldn’t resist) walking along the shoreline, a windswept wave in the upper left and a sandy beach in the lower right. A splendid illustration of the evolutionary process with feathers sprouting along the back edge prompting the beginnings of a wide tail. The zippered compartment at his head and shoulders should offer an alternative to retreating into his shell. Not sure what purpose that horn will serve. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Really a remarkable sighting!

Hans Stocker
      Hans Stocker
      Participant

And really a remarkable analysis Keelin! No one can do this better than you did. Pareidolia at its best for sure. It is a joy to read what you see.

Keelin
      Keelin
      Participant

Meant to add this note of acknowledgement: The CAS January 2019 calendar photo was taken by Dave Groom (member 45,873), who wrote that he spotted it “on a particularly blustery day” over Worthing, Sussex, England. Thank you, Dave, for braving the wild winds and capturing such a splendid image! What creatures did you see? I imagine they continued to shape-shift during your walk along the coast.

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Danke je, Hans! I also like Hygge’s vision of a concept car ~~ a wild ride that would be!

Now, for a smoother ride…

IMG_2490_Swan Ride

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Now for a smoother ride, Keelin? I see an elegantly swimming swan. Love it! But … are you intending to take a ride on a swan?

I was looking for new candidates for this thread, but all I can find is an old one that looks like something but I don’t know what.

2016-09 France_0069 uitsnede c nv klein

A flying head accompanied by some small spaceships?

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Well, I’m not completely sure about this, Hans, but the flying head might have been attached to a fleeing cloud creature from this side of the pond. And those spaceships would have come in handy! If this is what took place, I’m confident the escapee will regenerate. That beautiful iridescence holds so much promise.

IMG_0884_Gonna Get You!

hygge
    Participant

Hans, I think it was you mentioned your fondness for pareidolia. I was intrigued to hear Dr Hannah Fry (q.v.) say the reason for it was the instinct to look at a pattern on the ground in case it warned of imminent danger.

P.S.  Keelin, Fry is a mathematician.

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Haha Hygge, no danger will be unnoticed. Not on the ground nor in the sky! Keelin’s last post shows a strikingly well resembling pareidolic cloud-man watching for patterns around him in the sky.

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Ah! I’d not heard of that reason for pattern seeking, nor of Dr. Hannah Fry, so thank you, Hygge. As Hans has oft noted: once seen, unseen cannot be! And the old adage comes now to mind that, at least at times, we see what we want to see. Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

IMG_2216_Love Is In The AirLove Is In The Air

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

That was a well timed heart in the sky Keelin. Love it.

2017-02-03 Semur_0069 uitsnede asr klein

Some Spectators Came To Find Out More About It….

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Love the sense of reaching to explore and the beautiful color you’ve captured here, Hans. The Spectators appear eager. I hope they found what they were searching for before moving on.

IMG_2527_One Left A FootprintOne Left A Footprint

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

Truly subtle, but as you say, Hans, once seen…!

Aeolus RevealedAeolus Revealed

Hans Stocker
    Hans Stocker
    Participant

Ah! Thank you very much Keelin for revealing this mystery for me. I won´t  unsee Aeolus anymore indeed. Love the Footprint above too!

Next a cloudy portrait of

2018-09 Charigny_0118-2

Woody Woodpecker

Keelin
    Keelin
    Participant

You’re so welcome, Hans! Woody looks like a fast flyer there. Could he be heading to a feast on Fat Tuesday?

IMG_5431_Mardi Gras MaskMardi Gras Mask

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.