Clouds-that-look-like-things

Clouds-that-look-like-things

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds-that-look-like-things

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • Author
      Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

IMG_0089_1editbwaI posted this in another thread and was encouraged to start a new thread for those who are often seeing “things” in the clouds!  This looks like an elephant like creature running towards the right side of the photo, with an arm up over his back and legs churning as he runs.  Anyone else see that?

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Ha, thanks for creating this thread Ramona. Your playful young elephant is a nice start and I read elsewhere that Keelin already let play in some gentle low waves of water.

I can’t wait to contribute. I hope others will follow. The subject is very inviting imho.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0177 ac klein

Goldfish

Participant

Image1aThis is kind of a backwards process, but I looked in the mirror the other day and “saw” a photo I had taken earlier of “curlicue clouds”.  Yes, I DO have my head in the clouds!  Oh wait!  Is there a rule against having a person in the image posted?!  I need to go check that, even though my face is not visible…

Participant

No rules whatever. There are also avatars, isn’t it?

I think you immediately introduced Things-that-look-like clouds Ramona. I do have to put my head in the clouds to get that curly hair!

Participant

Oh, but you have a CAT, Hans!  I am sure you can find a cloud that resembles him/her!

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Oh, this will be particularly fun for fans of pareidolia! Thanks for launching this new topic, Ramona. I see Hans has already swum into the pool with his pretty iridescent Goldfish. Who knows what other creatures will turn up here?

One Flew Over The Rain-Splattered WindowOne Flew Over The Rain-Splattered Window

Participant

Nice, Keelin!  I have to admit that I googled pareidolia to see what it meant, though!  LOL  I love the rain splattered foreground!

Participant

Yes the cat ( in this case a he) is the hairy part in the picture Ramona. In fact we have three of them. I will look for appearances of cats  in the clouds.

That looks like quite icy rain Keelin. I can’t help to see this strange flying chicken. Hope you don’t mind this interpretation.

More flying.

2018-03 Luchten_0061 asr c kleinTwo birds

Participant

Love it, Hans!  I am curious what type of birds soar like this in the Netherlands?  I have been a “bird nerd” for many years, but I am limited to my own little piece of the world.

Participant

Love the composition and delight in flight you’ve captured in your Two Birds image, Hans.

As for my first posting here, it has to be one of the most surreal images in my entire collection. Chickenish, no doubt, though at the time, it felt more Owlish, and eerily, that it had turned its head to look in at me in equal wonder, no doubt!

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

I like this new thread and I am sure there will be interesting photos to come.  It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how clouds take on the things we know etc.

The one of the Goldfish I like – to me, it is like a butterfly.

Laurence

Participant

This Fennec Fox made his debut performance on the B&W stage almost a year ago. Now he’s back for an encore, this time jazzing it up with the blues.

Fennec Fox_Oboe Solo 2

Obo Solo 2

Participant

Nice!!  I bet this has some great contrasts in black and white!

Participant

Love the Fennec Fox Keelin. I remember him and it urged me to check B&W Volume II again. It seems so long ago and at the same time so recent. Nice to see the Fox jazzed up here!

Ramona: the real bird is a seagull ( I live not far from the seashore, but they can also be seen more inland) and the one in the distance must be a Avis Lenticularis.

Hello Laurence: it seems funny to read that you see a butterfly in my goldfish. You must know I couldn’t choose between fish or butterfly, but since I caught more fish-like creatures that day it became one of a species in a virtual tropical aquarium.

I hope you like this Ray.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0195 c asr klein

Participant

Ohhhhh, is this a Lenticular with iridescence?  Love it!

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Hi Hans

Thanks for your welcome reply.

I have a big love of butterflies (Lepidoptera) and Moths as well as ocean fish.

Oh, yes!  Manta Ray and Flat Fish have always been a true love of mine of things in the deep sea.

One of my big wishes in life before I “peg out” is to encounter, for real,  a Manta Ray fish.  Such gentle and graceful creatures with spectacular ease of swimming the waters.  I am a hopeless swimmer, by the way!  I sink into water like a heavy brick.

Laurence

Participant

Some more fish to come later Laurence. Looking for a cat I dug up one I posted almost two years ago with the question what I saw. It had the title ‘Craters’, but Hygge pointed out that he saw a long tailed kitten which has been laughing so much it has tears in its eye. Once seen it can’t be unseen anymore. So it has a good place in this thread for a revisit I thought.

2015-06 CHA eo_0006 uitsnede niv smal (Large)

Laughing Kitten

Participant

Hans, your iridescent Ray is beautiful, and Laughing Kitten hilarious. You are so right, once seen cannot be unseen — and both have kept me smiling.

I did not see what is so clearly present in the image below until I stood on my head (well, just kidding, a 180˚ flip of the photo seemed the safer approach).

IMG_7471_Little Bear Speaks The Language of CloudLittle Bear (pointing skyward) Speaks The Language Of Cloud

Participant

I can see little Bear talking clouds clearly without any acrobatics, Keelin. Once seen …… Lovely.

The day before yesterday I caught next one …. well after all very easy to hunt because it was sitting.

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0057 asr klein

Sitting Duck

Participant

This sleuthy figure appears to be looking for clues. Possibly wondering where someone has gone, and hoping the mystery will soon be solved!

Cloud SleuthHunting for Hans?

Participant

Great detective Keelin. He found me the day you sent him for his search. Very funny too. I made a mistake writing in the B&W thread to be back the day after Eastern. I meant a week later. In that week I could only passively enjoy yours and others contributions on the forum. Meanwhile I went bird spotting again.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0242 c B&W ac klein

Woodpecker On The Wing

Participant

Welcome back, Hans! Delighted to see your return as I hoped you were simply off somewhere enjoying fresh skies. Not surprised to hear you were spotting feathered friends – and maybe also…

IMG_7944_Friendly FiguralSpotted By A Friendly Figural

Participant

Thank you very much Keelin. This one made me really laugh. The spotter is spotted indeed. The laughing one at the right spots a playful figural doing some funny shenanigans up left. Lovely!

Participant

2016-07 Wolken_0044 niv smal klein

Old Man revisited in blue

Participant

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0073 ns99-255 c klein

Salad Servers taking a nice piece of cumulus

Participant

Is your Old Man In Blue dancing, Hans, or just out enjoying a fresh breeze? I love the flow of his long, unbridled hair. And your Salad Servers are hilarious. No calories in cumulus!

Heading to a wedding in Portland, Oregon tomorrow (should find a few clouds there!). Anticipating the joyous event must surely be nudging my pareidolia towards nuptial interpretations. The couple below appear already in the mood for celebration.

IMG_8678_Wedding DanceWedding Dance

Participant

This Wedding Dance is a real Joy Keelin! Hope you had a good time at the party.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Cloud Dog Going For The Frisbee

sept0715b9075

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Superb. The fleeting pileus and vellum to boot.

Eric Shultz avatarEric Shultz
      Participant

Hi All,

here’s my try at the Cheshire Cat:

A Cheshire cat

Thanks,

Eric

Participant

Nice Eric, maybe this one can do for his grin?

2018-03-03 Luchten_0189 ac klein

Participant

In the middle of a large bed of cumuli Alice now finds Little bear sleeping under a veil.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0311 asr klein

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0607 uitsnede asr klein

A Cloud That Looks Like Something

Participant

Very funny, Hans! And it looks like the kind of Something the something below might have taken a little nibble out of. He’s a bit “noisy”, but might just be a little hungry.

Camel?Hungry For Something

Participant

A funny happy playful dog with a big nose took a little from Something! He must have mistaken it for Michael’s frisbee. Maybe he needs someone to play with….

2018-06 Charigny_0157-2

Have you seen a wabbit wun by here?

Participant

Loved Michael’s Cloud Dog Going For The Frisbee a few posts back. You know those frisky pups will chase anything (or Something!). Haven’t seen a wabbit, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t wun by here. The evidence is rather compelling…

2015-09-26_FlyingFurFlying Fur

Participant

Uh oh. This one may require strong pareidolia glasses, but it looks to me like someone else might be hungry and hiding in the reeds…

IMG_9327_Waiting For Someone To Come Out Of Somewhere

Waiting For Someone To Come Out Of Somewhere*

*with a nod to the Rolling Stones for title inspiration

Participant

Flying Fur is a lovely picture showing with plain evidence the direction the wabbit must have wun by, Keelin.

You gave the hungry one hiding in the reeds a title I had to dig for in my memory. Although I was at the time they recorded it already a fan, I still had to remove some dust in my brain to find it back.

In the Aftermath the danger in the reeds must have been awakened an old acquaintance.

2018-06 Charigny_0138-3

The alarmed Swimming Goat left its hiding place. Goin home?

Participant

Very clever title, Hans! Can’t believe I just caught the connection. Had to think, think, think back!

Participant

We know your Swimming Goat is fast, Hans! As I recall, it crossed the pond in no time, once upon a time. So delighted to see it is still swimming and not an easy target like some other unfortunate, tasty morsel.

IMG_8785_Sitting DuckSitting Duck

Participant

All’s well that ends well…

2017-03-25 Wolken_0074 asr klein

Danger was there but suddenly the crature turned around alarmed by something and the startled little sitting duck could happily swim away to safety…….

Participant

Indeed! That was one lucky ducky thanks to your intervention, Hans, and the impressive U-turn above. Glad to see our little friend didn’t get gobbled up. After all, you know what they say…

IMG_9343_You Are What You EatYou Are What You Eat

PS: This has to be one of the strangest cloud photos in my entire collection. You just never know what you’ll see when you look up!

Participant

Keelin, You Are What You Eat is indeed flabbergasting. Love the softness of the forms. These fluffs as if falling in cascade must have been marvelous to spot. But forgive me: if it is what it eats I still can’t figure out what it is. But surely a fantastic picture in the first place. Marvelous!

2018-02 Luchten_0004 asr klein

A stray Toupee that lost the head it once belonged to

Participant

So funny, Hans! Just before it went missing, I think he was on Cloud Nine…

IMG_8552_Head Above The CloudsHead Above The Clouds

Participant

It is funny what you wrote about Aftermath of the Stones, Keelin. I had the same experience having to remove the dust of  my memories, triggered by your I Am Waiting For Someone To Come Out Of Somewhere.

Wow, what a view Head Above The Clouds must have. I envy him. We have to cope with the look from the ground. Nevertheless surprising enough. Like yesterday having had this Mainstream experience, i.e Asperitas. Lots of strange forms.  From the same series as Mainstream #2 on the Color thread this one with another nostalgic musical background..

2018-06 Wolken_0074-2

Where Do We Go From Here

Did you hear about the eagle of distinction
      The one that came on every Friday afternoon?
      And it seems that eagle has near flown into extinction
      Descending to the sand
      His biggest enemy being man
      Have you ever seen the freedom on the wing?

The Band

Participant

It’s been quite awhile since I’ve seen any Asperitas here and look forward to more of your images, Hans. They do create the most amazing formations. As for freedom on the wing, it appears to come in many sizes.

Bee

Participant

And here’s another winged creature. Caught this one taking a little snooze, perhaps dreaming of riding the rollercoaster waves of Asperitas.

IMG_9370_Sleeping FaerieSleeping Faerie

Daniel Chang avatarDaniel Chang
      Participant
      Participant

Yes, an eagle in full flight Daniel.

2018-06 Wolken_0085-3

Trompe l’Oeil

Participant

Daniel, I see it’s not only an eagle in flight you’ve managed to capture, but a couple of lovely images posted to the Sunset thread as well. Hope we see more from you!

And Hans, well there’s no fooling your discerning eye. Love the calm gaze in your Trompe l’Oeil. I’m guessing this is one from that amazing Asperitas series you witnessed recently which must have made you smile.

Funny, how sometimes the sky seems to smile right back at you.

IMG_9359_With a WinkWith a Wink

Participant

Your guess is right Keelin and on this side of the pond one could have seen me with a big smile after watching your With a Wink.

2018-05 Wolken_0259-2

Big Smile

Participant

2018-05 Wolken_0230-3

Unicorn

Participant

* *  Unicorns welcome!  * *
      Karaoke Night at Gerry Giraffe’s Bar & Grill
      BYPG (Bring Your Pareidolia Glasses)
      Long neck beers ~ 2 for 1 ~

IMG_8441_Karaoké NightSmoke Gets In Your Eyes

Participant

I had to rub my eyes for this one, Keelin. Very funny! This karaoke bar must have very strange customers. Nevertheless I would love to join them with a long neck beer. My singing will be terrible and the fun will be the contrary.

Participant

Ah yes, at first I only saw cloud upon cloud, but then as you say, Hans, once seen…. Even the smoke filled room couldn’t undo the transformation. I imagine karaoke crowds are pretty tolerant and wouldn’t drag you off stage for terrible singing. Then again, the customer below might have somehow earned the hook!

Was It Something I Sang?Was It Something I Sang?

Participant

Haha! Ever heard about the famous Gaelic bard Assourancetourix, maybe also known as Kakofonix? It must have been him.

I mentioned them elsewhere….

2018-03-03 Luchten_0157 asr klein

Talking Heads

Participant

Indeed, Hans, I have heard of that group — from you! And for your rather engaging Talking Heads above (and to quote the Canadian singer-songwriter Shirley Eikhard), let’s give them something to talk about…

IMG_7832_A Little Mystery To FIgure OutA Little Mystery To Figure Out

Participant

Well, the two heads will certainly have something to talk about Keelin. Very funny. I can see a lot of things  in your Mystery to spend endless pareidolic discussions about.

Participant

Mid June I sent Ian this picture to publish on June 21, being ladies day at Ascott. Unfortunately Ian was on vacation and it is not yet on the gallery. Still I like to share it here.

2016-08-09 Iridescence_0007klein

Proud Slug Showing Off On Ladies Day At Ascott

Participant

Very funny, Hans! And joining the festivities of the day…

IMG_8216_Pelican at AscotPelican With A Plume

Participant

Very nice Pelican indeed, Keelin.

2018-06 Charigny_0159-kleur

The Sphinx Overlooks It Carefully

Participant

A lift off from my bestiarium in black and white

2018-07 Wolken_0098-3

Paradise Bird

Participant

Hans, do you think your formidable Sphinx might feel a bit of envy, having to rely on cloud support to move about the heavens? Perhaps he is singing that heartfelt song by the beloved bard Leonard Cohen.

Like a bird on the wire
      Like a drunk in a midnight choir
      I have tried in my way to be free

Your Paradise Bird looks as if he could go the distance, while the one below might need to rest her wings for a beat or two.

IMG_0075_Bird On A WireBird On The Wire

Participant

Fantastic Keelin! So well spotted… Love it.

Participant

After the soft voice of the bard ….

2018-07 Wolken_0152-2

The Stones Were Here

Participant

VERY funny, Hans!

IMG_0241_BW_Hand It OverOkay, Hand It Over

Participant

Nice fingerprints Keelin. The perpetrator will have to worry now about an early discovery.

Next one must be innocent.

2018-06 Wolken_0139-3

A Bathing Hippopotamus

Participant

No doubt about it, that is one happy hippo, Hans! Very funny. Another funny thing is that I didn’t really notice the fingerprints on Okay, Hand It Over until you pointed out the obvious. What I saw was a little kid in a squirrel costume getting caught playing with his parents cellphone. Maybe he’s doing some fingerprinting of his own with jammy hands? For all I know, this could be one of his parents.

IMG_0240_BW_FingerprintPapa

Voice Of Authority

Participant

Voice Of Authority has definitely your own fingerprints Keelin. This story I did not expect with these great B&W’s but it has your signature for sure. Love it.

Participant

Thank you, Hans! The photo below is almost like one of those *magic eye* images that requires relaxed eyes for the hidden image to be revealed (there’s a hint in the title).

IMG_9946_BW_Poodle TrimmingPoodle Trimming

Participant

Love it Keelin, very funny. The trimming is giving a picturesque mess of curly flakes.

2018-04-01 Charigny_0001 uitsnede B&W an klein

The Key To Pareidolia

Participant

Today’s class will focus on the Art of Pareidolia. Dank aan Hans, you have already been given the key, so pay close attention! We may have a pop-up quiz when you least expect it.

IMG_0261_figural #_Parieodlia Instructor

Participant

Hilarious …. What an amazing initiative this pop-up quiz is, Keelin! How could one ever expect this? The class is flabbergasted and already desperately seeking for an answer. Although I delivered the Key To Pareidolia, I am not sure that´s a guarantee for me to unlock this puzzle you presented.

In my surroundings someone suggested a standing mouse, while I see this baby elephant conducting an orchestra. Does this makes sense? I doubt it.

The timing of the start of this course maybe wrong for me or just right. That’s because I will leave the class already at the start for somewhat less than two weeks having no appropriate internet, but on the other hand that will give me the opportunity to do some extra study and come up with another pareidolic response.

Can’t wait……

Participant

Ha, Hans! You have, perhaps unwittingly, already figured out the figural! It is, in fact, the Instructor for the Pareidolia class, who by his very nature may be seen (but thereafter never unseen) as the shape of one’s (or another’s) very own imagination. You must go to the head of the class upon your return! Meanwhile, here is a imp (or ?) to keep an eye on you and make sure you have enjoyable travels.

IMG_9937_Friendly Figural #6The Imp Of Good Journeys

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Genie coming out of the woods. C43F7C8D-392B-4DB5-A324-C7649B355CE8

Participant

Your Genie looks quite friendly, George. That said, one must always be careful when asking for a wish to be granted. And maybe spell it out just in case there’s room for misunderstanding. The image below leaves us wondering if the wisher became the type of artist he really wanted to be.

IMG_0101_Plein-air 0r Plain Air?Plein-Air or Plain Air?

Mischa Kuczynski avatarMischa Kuczynski
      Participant

Spotted this little lion and shark over Vacaville, CA this week!

IMG_6137

IMG_6133

Finding my phone’s pictures to be a little lackluster. Time to start carrying around a real camera again, maybe!

Mischa

Participant

How fun to see the cloud creatures you’ve captured in the skies above Vacaville, Mischa! Back in March of last year, I spotted a similar Simba at play here in Napa. One might enjoy the whimsical notion of it chasing that little cloud puff across the sky in your direction for all these months in between our sightings, morphing a bit as clouds always do along the way.

Simba

Participant

Head of the class: I am glad to be able again to attend to the class of pareidolia after some leave.

A friendly Imp, a Genie of the Woods by George and fantastic animals by Mischa playing around with the ones Keelin spotted. Love it all.

By the way: Plein-Air or Plain-Air is a fantastic and ingenious title for a picture I really had to study a while Keelin. Can the head of the class agree with a resemblance to a elegant horned creature? Once seen….

I spotted Grumpy on my travels and I did not succeed to cheer him up despite all of the fun on this thread. Unbelievable.

2018-08 Charigny_0188-2

Participant

Welcome back, Hans! And thank you for seeing and saying what can nevermore be unseen or unsaid. In fact, the elegant horned creature did not emerge for me at all until you pointed him out! And then he reminded me of another favorite (below) who appears to be on this side of the pond again.

As for Grumpy. He is such a surprise, I could not help but laugh aloud.

IMG_9751_Is That You Billy?Is That You Billy?

Participant

It is said they ride on the wings of the heavens, the good Seelie Court Fairies of Scottish lowlands.

2017-12-07 16.25.51_Seelie Court Fairie Boat and Its Captain’Tis Fine Weather For Sailing Says The Captain

Participant

Lovely spotting of Billy Keelin. I wait for him to spot on this side of the pond. I am certain he will pay us a visit.

Did you know the fairies of the Scottish Lowland not only like to sail but that they also like to swim when the weather is fine?

2018-07 Wolken_0438-2

Doing The Backstroke

Participant

Fine form in Doing The Backstroke, Hans. And who wouldn’t want to swim the seas of a  deep blue sky? Below, rising above the wild, water-birthed waves of cloud, we might even spot a ~~~

IMG_6728_SkymaidSkymaid Taking Flight

Participant

You succeeded to surprise me again Keelin. Such a cheerful Skymaid.

I had to dig deep for a cloud that looked like something but since I noticed you like to write fantastic haiku’s I found this rather abstract interpretation of a cloud that looks like a

2018-06 Wolken_0275-2

Haiku

Participant

Your Haiku image captures well the elegant simplicity of the poetic form, Hans. A lovely and clever posting for this forum topic.

Just recently, I spotted this beauty floating by ~~~

IMG_0472_Adrift In The Memory Of Whence It CameAdrift In The Memory Of Whence It Came

Participant

In this instance, the original cloud photo was cropped, converted to B&W, then color inverted. Aside from the narrative the resulting image inspired, I like the wet pavement look of it.IMG_9776_W&B_ Frisky Puppies Never Failed To Startle HerFrisky Puppies Never Failed To Startle Her

Participant

So unexpected, this Delphinapterus leucas!

IMG_0608_Beluga BelowBeluga Swims The Blues

Participant

You are bringing the Clouds-that-look-like-things to an abstract level Keelin. Your “Adrift In The Memory Of Whence It Came” is indeed a beauty that deserves this mystical title.  And “Frisky Puppies Never Failed To Startle Her” is pure dada. As is the process of making it. The wet pavement look is also almost metallic. After the Friskie puppies the unexpected Beluga that swims the blues astonishes for a third time in a row. They all are intriguing combinations of image and a inseparable title. Each one of them makes my head spin with associations. Love it.

Recently I saw this less abstract but strange vertical cloud structure in a rather lenticular sky.

2018-09 Charigny_0214-2

Chicken Abductee

Participant

And a bit later I noticed my Chicken Abductee had morphed into the Talking Sorting Hat deciding on Gryffindor or elsewhere to participate in cloudy wizardry.

2018-09 Charigny_0216-2

Sorting Out The Decision

Participant

Ah! What a relief, Hans, to see a much happier fate than what I had imagined could befall your Chicken Abductee (an astonishing image, btw!). Perhaps with a bit of well-placed wizardry, there is still hope for the wanderer below…

Chicken_2_No Place To Hang My HatNo Place To Hang My Hat

Participant

It was the most romantic place for a rendezvous.

IMG_0794_The Arbor At MidnightThe Arbor At Midnight

Participant

That is some cozy Arbor Keelin. Very nice.

2018-09 Charigny_0257-2

Will there be partridge on the menu?

Participant

Well, Hans, I expect there would have been, but for this mischievous character, who would not have been able to resist your lovely offering. Your friend and mine…

IMG_0495_Billy BlueBilly Bluegoat

[original cloud photo was color inverted and contrast enhanced simply for the fun of seeing what might emerge. Must be the kid in me.]

Participant

Billy Bluegoat is one to be proud of Keelin. It is a lucky kid in you that found our mutual friend Billy looking a bit caught in the act (of steeling partridge?) but also happy and unaware of any wrongdoing. He is cute and I love him.

2018-09 Charigny_0100-2

Everybody Is talking About Billy Bluegoat

Participant

Yes, indeed, Hans, Billy was up to mischief on this side of the pond! And not Everybody (above) appears too happy about it, so I’m relieved to hear you love him despite his antics. Most likely it’s not his first taste of capers (if capers were to be served with your partridge). Alas, the goat herder may have seen this type of behavior before.

IMG_0345_ Portrait Of DismayPortrait Of Dismay

Participant

I must confess Keelin that I had to look several times, but then the portrait comes through. Now I can’t unsee this Portrait Of Dismay anymore. Very nice. The portrait-ed one must have thought Billy Bluegoat, what are you up to?

Maybe I spotted a little friend of Billy caught in the act of some mischief himself.

2018-06 Charigny_0087-2

Piglet with his own modest contribution to fight the drought of this summer in France.

Participant

Piglet would surely be a welcomed sight there, Hans. And we could use a visit from him here as well. This one below seems too busy to care about the weather.

Truffle ScuttleTruffle Scuttle

Participant

And if the truffle lover ventures too far into the deep dark forest, what then? There are creatures there aplenty to cast a spell or two…

IMG_9957_BW_MouseWitchMouse Witch with Wand

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.