Cloud Newbie

Cloud Newbie

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloud Newbie

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Maribel Dr. Illig avatarMaribel Dr. Illig
      Participant

hello!

I’m new to CAS and to identify clouds, but my love for clouds is old :) I could need some help to identify clouds, so I’d be glad to get some advice from you. thank you :)

I’m not sure which one is this:
      cloud001

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

An answer shouldn’t take so long. I see through a hole in the stratocumulus a patch of altocumulus. Nice picture!

Do you use already the cloudspotter app? It has a library of all types of clouds including optical pheneomna with a clear and often humorous description. It’s fun using it and helps you identify all types of clouds. Success and have fun!

Participant

Hello Hans, thank you for answering!

I’ve just started to us the cloudspotter app. I’m not quite sure how it works. I get the “stars” whenever I identify a cloud correctly, right?

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Hallo, Maribel, and welcome. I think Hans is on the ball, and I agree it is a great picture.

Try CM9 ‘Altocumulus of a chaotic sky’ in this 4mb or so PDF
      http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/r/i/Cloud_types_for_observers.pdf

The PDF will give you loads of help, but in the old-fashioned way versus the new-fangled app (I am not familiar with apps).

Best of luck with your cloudspotting.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thanks for taking over the ball Hygge. I like your document also very much. It gives indeed a load of help and it adds a lot to the basics of the app.

Participant

hello Hygge! thank you so much for your welcome. the pdf is very, very helpful and gives a deeper insight. thanks a lot for sharing. Hans is right: the document adds a lot to the basics of the app. I have to admit, I was quite frustrated because all my latest uploads to the app were identified wrong. now I have a tool that will help me to get the identification right. I appreciate your help, thx!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.