Climate Change #2

Climate Change #2

Forums The Cloud Forum Climate Change #2

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

The BBC reports that the Climate Change subject was removed from the web site of the USA White House within hours of the inauguration of Mr D. J. Trump as President of the USA., Friday 20 January 2017.

So it seems a good time to start a CAS Climate Change #2 thread.

Graham Davis avatarGraham Davis
      Participant

3rd attempt to post a reply and hoping to avoid:
      ERROR: Your reply cannot be empty.

Participant

OK, got it now. Oh how I hate forums!

Anyway, what I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted was:

Here’s my web-page on the subject:

The Climate Crisis

Graphs in the “latest data” section should be updated monthly, probably around mid-month but it depends when the data arrives.

Also, some climate-related blogs:

Arctic Ice: The difference 100 years can make.

Why have the English seasons got in synch?

Bi-stable Nature of North Atlantic Ocean Currents

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

The newly elected President of USA has yet to grasp the basic idea that,,the cause of global warming/climate change,may still be argued about,,but the solution or at least attempt at solving the problem is within Man’s abilities and most likely, within in Man’s abilities Alone. No other inhabitant of Earth is going to do much to solve the alarming increases in average global temperature. For Americans to place hope in an administration that carried the ” Birther” banner for years among other ” fake news’ bullet points at every opportunity has been , is, and will be a difficult proposition. I along with many others have fear of the persons and venues that Do Continue the Climate Change Discussion Will be The Next To Disappear From Web Sites and Media Outlets.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

It is all so worrying that mr. Trump does not seem to have any connection with facts and truth ….

Thank you Graham for the links you provided.

Participant
      Participant

This Must Be Said..Any and All citizens of The Empire Should Speak Loudly to the Royals, All Of Them. In My Humble Opinion Any and All Royals Should Stay Away From Trump. Physically, 10km at least Thus Allowing for Not One Photo Opportunity With or By Trump. IMHO, If Given The Opportunity For a Photo Op With Any Royal , Trump Will Claim Proof Of Agreement With Him by The Proof of the Photo. Even If a Royal of Any Age Was To Tell Trump To Go To Hades, ,,Trump Would Still Spin The Meeting To His Favor. That Is His Style. That Is His Brand. He Lives and Acts In a Universe That Denies Any and All Opposing Views and Actions. It Takes Lawyers and Judges and Sometimes Years For Trump to Be Proved Otherwise and Even After All That, He Still Blames Any and Every Body Else. That IS HIS STYLE. That IS HIS RECORD.

The Tragedy is,,folks here say,,yes we know that about him, but we did and would still vote for him.. I don’t understand that and am just repeating it because I’ve heard these sentiments often recently and worse,,Im hearing them even more as each day goes by, I feel sorry for the children, grand children of todays parents. They will have Trump to thank for the oxygen bottle that they have to carry around. The climate will change enough ,quickly enough, that no animal will be able to Evolve quick enough, to come away unscathed. Our existence will be reduced. Unfortunately the degree appears to be likely increased by the short sighted paranoiac vision of the likes of Trump and his advisors. `

He must not be encouraged. He must not even be acknowledged and respected. He only uses people for his own aggrandizement. Give Him No Opportunity to Use The Royal Family.

My apologies to CAS for this political post..

Participant

You are quite right Michael. A lot of British have heard your cry from the heart:

Million sign petition to stop UK visit

Let’s hope it helps.

Participant

Royal Dutch Shell chief executive, Ben van Beurden, said ‘Our position has been very clear and hasn’t changed: we believe climate change is real,….’ according to Emily Gosden in The Times (UK) today 3FEB17.

Participant
      Participant

Making clouds whiter is suggested in this clip
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yj6vp

P.S. I have not been able to login to the CAS Forum since March when first a reply vanished.

Participant

Heard of this a while ago. I think the law of unintended consequences is too big a danger with a lot of these ideas.

P.S. I’ve also had problems. I logged in to reply to one of your posts, typed several lines, hit ‘submit’, and then got told I had to be logged in. According to the page, I was still logged in. A log-out, log-in, and retype suffered the same fate. Gave up.

Participant

..When I first moved to Phoenix Arizona, ’74, there were no mosquitoes in the Valley, Too Dry. Now we worry about West Nile and soon it will be Zika..Local Environment is the culprit. swimming pools, drenched lawns, golf courses, etc etc..have made the Valley a welcoming home for mosquitoes. Unintended consequences on the local and regional scale contribute to the need to rethink what we’re doing.

Participant

Michael, I recently heard on BBC Radio that air-conditioning added two degrees to the Phoenix outside temperature (don’t know if F or C).

‘H’

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

I’ve been to Phoenix (actually Scottsdale) in the Summer. I think it’s the misters. Restaurants and other places spray a fine mist that by evaporating should cool the environment. I couldn’t tell, went inside anyway. (I still like it over there.)

(I had problems logging in in early April, same as Graham. “Support” advised me to clear browser cookies, which I did, though only now. If you see my post, it worked. Or maybe there was some server problem that got fixed.)

Participant

I can’t  vouche for the 2 degree cost of A/C in Phoenix,hygge. ..the physics seems odd. I know the heat that a A/c unit produces comes from somewhere..I don’t know how much heat it generates to compress/cool the refrigerant down tho..Phx broke records some years ago when it hit 124F..but We gaven’t been close to that.. in a  while. .knock on wood.

Yes, George Evap cooling only works until the air hits dew point..when temp and percent water collude to allow no more absorption of water in to air..As long air can absorb water ,cooling takes place because  heat is lost in the process..if I got my physics right. When the air is saturated  (dew point) ,game over. Many pubs and eateries have outside misters and a few womaners that are good until about mid July at the latest.  Monsoon season is spectacular for cloud /weather watching,,but its not free. Drink lots of  water because you are your own evap cooler.

And just think of all the new cement and road surface  and auto exhaust any growing city Like Phoenix , has today that was desert and clear  a few years ago. Incredible. There was talk of Our Dome of Heat  some years ago but I think the Chamber of Commerce put an end to that talk. Only post card perfect weather here folks..  We Also have a 4 burner Nuke just west of  Phoenix that gets turned up to full blast during summer..not for Phoenix ( a mere pittance for that mega watter) but for the whole southwest and more if there is a  failure somewhere west of the Mississippi.  Yet, the heat generated at the Palo Verde( such a nice desert eco name) plant goes somewhere and Phoenix is down wind from it all..Nice to kno in case of emergency. Any way..in The Case of Phoenix..YES, HERE,  ALL THE CLIMATE CHANGE IS MAN MADE,,the damn rattlesnakes and gila monsters didn’t do it!!!

Participant

‘misters and a few womaners’? I right clicked on womaners, but it was not there; I could add it to my dictionary but perhaps not. Because I think you meant ‘misters and missusers’.

Which reminds me, what happened to your interesting note of 1 April 2017, Michael? It was about then my login went walk about and I could not find it recently to read , mark, learn and digest.

Participant
      Participant
      Participant

Hawking on climate change for his 75th birthday
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40461726

Hawking has frequently commented about climate change.

Participant

Met Office on UK winters to come

http://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-00275-3

Participant

Alaska

Jason Mark was presented as the editor of Sierra (something I believe was close to the heart of Forum contributor Andrew Kirk (q.v.) from the Owens Valley on the east side of the Sierras)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06r58zd

https://sierraclub.org/sierra

Participant
      Participant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/grizzly-bears-of-kodiak-island-skip-the-salmon-and-go-straight-for-elderberry-dessert-kzgszf9vs

In essence, climate change has ripened the berries earlier, now matching the salmon spawning time.

“The bears’ goal is to gain as much weight as possible before winter . . . Even though salmon are a great food, berries are probably the better food for them,” Dr Deacy said

Participant

The daily news in the Netherlands dedicated several items this week to the consequences of the rising temperatures for the permafrost in Alasca (among other regions). The permafrost disappears and leaves giant craters in the landscape. In the melting process stored CO2 and methane comes free both being greenhouse gases, thus accelerating the process of warming the climate in a way that even surprised scientists. A time bomb being triggered already. Is this also elsewhere an item for the news?

CBC news

Participant
      Participant
      Participant

http://www.lancetcountdown.org/the-report/

Hugh Montgomery, co-author, discussed this 2017 report on climate change on BBC Radio 4, Inside Science today. He said a big insight for him was that improving things for people was equally good for climate – hence the concentration on data relating to where people lived instead of the major part of the globe where there are no people, just water perhaps.

Participant

Guess what – leopards don’t change their spots.

There are other reports e.g. Chicago Tribune.

Participant

England’s trump card against global warming – beavers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-42278606

I can offer a climate change theme tune from my favourite Stan Kenton – Eager Beaver

Participant

Where Are The Clouds?

Apparently Sao Paulo nearly ran out of water last year. This year it’s Cape Town in trouble. The link is to a World Service 10 minute discussion item — abstract below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvrh7

Will Cape Town Run Out of Water?
      Science in Action
      9th July – It’s being called Day Zero, the day the taps are turned off in drought stricken Cape Town in South Africa. After 3 years of unexpectedly dry weather leaving no water in the reservoirs that serve the city, we ask what could have been done better to mitigate the water shortage and how to prevent the same thing happening in other cities around the world.

Participant

https://twitter.com/ITV?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This program (probably the second in the link) was about the Queen’s Commonwealth Canopy (QCC) and well advanced plans for a QCC forest in perpetuity in each Commonwealth country (Epping Forest in the UK). HM mused ‘It might change the climate again’.

Participant
      Participant

For the record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50837025

I just hope the pubs have plenty of beer

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello everyone, I live in the U.S. I know for a certain that we need to reverse climate change. Imagine a world without snow and ice. It’s depressing. Think of all the times you’ve had playing in the snow with your siblings. The way I look at it, it’s either we fix this or our planet dies. We cannot keep loving the way we are and expect magical changes to happen.

That’s my take on it.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.