Calling all New South Wales cloudspotters: let's meet up!

Calling all New South Wales cloudspotters: let's meet up!

Forums The Cloud Forum Calling all New South Wales cloudspotters: let's meet up!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Tania Ritchie avatarTania Ritchie
      Participant

Hello cloudspotters based in New South Wales, Australia!

Are you interested in coming to an informal meet-up in Sydney or Newcastle in mid November?

I’m one of the friendly Cloudspotter App moderators and am based in Newcastle. I know there are other cloudspotters nearby because I often see photos from NSW – especially Sydney and the Hunter Region – submitted through the app.

I’m therefore proposing a casual get-together where we can meet up, share our mutual interest in clouds and perhaps make some new friends.

Details:
      – Everyone is welcome, whether you are a cloud appreciation newbie or meteorological expert.
      Location: either in Newcastle (King Edward Park) or Sydney (Botanic Gardens) depending on interest
      Date: Sunday, 13 November at 12 noon
      Food: bring your own picnic
      – If rainy, alternative arrangements will be made
      – Bring a photo (or description) of your favourite cloud spotting to share!

If you’re interested in attending please reply below and specify whether you prefer the Newcastle or Sydney location.

Hope to see you soon!

Tania, It is a great idea that you are organising a get-together in New South Wales. I am going to mention this in the Society newsletter that we’ll be sending out next week so that members in your area get to know about it. I hope that people are able to attend, and I wish I could be there to meet you all!

Ken Day avatarKen Day
        Participant

Hi Tania, thanks for organising a meet up. I live in Wagga Wagga NSW, so It’s a little far for me to travel. All the best for the day, and the organising. God bless and cheers. Ken.

Participant

Ken, I’m sorry that you can’t make it – it would have been lovely to meet you. Did you know that until recently one of the Cloudspotter App moderators was based in Wagga Wagga? From his photos I can tell that you have great skies for cloudspotting there. Perhaps there will be a future event closer to home – until then, see you around the forum.

Simon Torok avatarSimon Torok
      Participant

Hi Tania, I can’t make it to NSW but please let this thread know how the gathering goes as I’d be keen to organise a get together in Melbourne if there is interest.

Participant

Hi Simon, yes, I’ll definitely let you know how it goes. I’m in Melbourne reasonably often so perhaps we could even catch up in person some time. As a matter of fact, I have a feeling we may have already met a few years ago when we were both presenting at a CSIRO event!

Sarah Turnbull avatarSarah Turnbull
        Participant

Hello Simon,

I live outside Melbourne but could attend a meet-up there. I know a couple of people who would also be interested.

Sarah

Kym Druitt avatarKym Druitt
      Participant

Hi Tania
      I’m in Darlinghurst and could meet up in the Botanic Gardens if that looks like a thing. Hope it’s a cloudy day.
      Kym

Dale Klemke avatarDale Klemke
      Participant

Hi Tania, I live in the Blue Mountains, so Sydney is the best location for me. Cheers, Dale.

Kim Ter-Horst avatarKim Ter-Horst
      Participant

Hi Tania, oh no! I can’t come because i’ll be overseas. If i were at home in Sydney hail stones couldn’t have kept me away. Please let everyone know how it goes and if you have any plans for future gatherings. I hope its a wonderfully cloudy day! Best of luck with it, Kim.

Kim Ter-Horst avatarKim Ter-Horst
      Participant

Hey, Tania, kim again. If its raining you could go cloud spotting in the art gallery

John Dowling avatarJohn Dowling
      Participant

Hi Tania

I’d be interested in meeting up with the Sydney Group at the Botanical Gardens in Sydney.

Cheers

John Dow;ling

Lawrie Smith avatarLawrie Smith
      Participant

Hi Tania,

I live in the Blue Mountains and the Botanic Gardens would suite me best

Lawrie

Ken Day avatarKen Day
      Participant

Hi Tania, thanks for organising a meet up. I live in Wagga Wagga NSW, so It’s a little far for me to travel. All the best for the day, and the organising. God bless and cheers. Ken.

Jessica May avatarJessica May
      Participant

Hi Tania,

I would love to come along to the Botanical Gardens in Sydney. My mother just happens to be visiting from Perth that weekend and she is also a member so I’ll bring her along too!

Jessica

Participant

Hi everyone – it looks like the overwhelming consensus is for a Sydney get-together – so we will meet in the Sydney Botanic Gardens. I will scout out the location soon, but in the meantime if anyone familiar with the park has a good suggestion for a preferred meeting place that has easy accessibility, please let me know.

I like Kim’s suggestion of the NSW Art Gallery as a wet weather back-up! It’s close to the Botanic Gardens, has good coffee, and offers indoor (art-based) cloud-spotting opportunities. At this stage, based on the number of forum replies, it seems like the ‘Cafe at the Gallery’ might be a suitable meeting place. I’ll update the forum early on the day of the 13th only if we are changing to the wet weather location.

If you are planning to come along and haven’t replied yet, please leave an RSVP here so I have an idea of what numbers to expect.

Stay posted for final details including maps and transport options. Looking forward to seeing you in Sydney.

Murray Kirkland avatarMurray Kirkland
        Participant

Hi Tania,

A get together in the Botanical Gardens sounds great. I live in Canberra but will be visiting ( we get fantastic clouds in Canberra ).
        Thank you so much for organising.

Have a good one

Murray

Participant

It looks like it’ll be a fine day on Sunday so I’ll see you in the Botanic Gardens at noon. Let’s meet at the entrance to the gardens near the Opera House, just inside the big gates, near the ‘200’ sign that’s made of green plants. (You can’t miss it). I’ll be there with a cloud sign, so you won’t be able to miss me either.

If the weather is bad, check this forum post for last-minute updates.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

I hope you have a great picnic! Do let us know here how you get on. If you all think it works well to meet up, I might try to set up a system to facilitate other members to arrange gatherings. Any suggestions based you your gathering would be really helpful.
      I wish I could be there!

Kym Druitt avatarKym Druitt
      Participant

Hi all
      I’m planning to come today, but for these past few days I have been managing what I suspect is the demise of my brilliant 15 year old cat. He’s had another bad night, so I don’t know what the day will bring.
      Tania, do you have a mobile number I can call if I can get along, but not bang on 12? I know the original meeting place well. Even if I’m puffy-eyed I’d like to try to meet up.
      Kym 0418 272 018 (text me your details might be best)

Participant

I’ve texted you my number. All the best.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.