Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Thread Volume VIII

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • Author
      Alec Jones avatarAlec Jones
      Participant

DSC_5517 This must be new thread day…

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Yes thanks, and a happy new thread day! I look forward for those skies you captured Alec. Over here we have already for some weeks these featureless grey clouded skies dominated by left  and right passing low pressure areas. No complaints about clouds themselves, but some adventure in them is missing.

From the archives.

2016-05 Lot_0047 B&W klein

Participant

DSC_5526

Participant

A former note by Alec about a suspect optogram on a B&W post triggered me to do some research. For my own safety I will not explain how, but spelunking in old phorensic archives I could lay my hands on historic and unducumented materials gathered after the murder on H.P. Lovecraft. At the days of the investigations the unrecognizably maimed body of the famous writer was no easy piece of cake for the optographic forensic team, nevertheless a great scientific result was dug up from what was left over of one of the eyeballs hanging from its former housing. I had the luck (let’s call it luck) to lay hands on this material. Yes, it is the original optogram from the retina of the mistreated writer. Too long this material has been held secret for whatever reason there might have been. Now the time has come this must be shared. The obtained optogram clearly proofs the  guilt of the vicious Eleanor Visyak, for her physionomy was burned beyond doubt on the retina of HPL. No denial possible. Was she a complete fraud? Yes! A luvvy? Certainly not!

2017-07-19 Cum_0050 B&W ac klein

Witch On The Run With Unknown Partner In Crime

Participant

Lovecraft murdered? Mmmm, perhaps the 4096 qubit D-Wave quantum annealing computer presently running at CERN has opened up a portal to the wider multiverse. Perhaps there has been an irrevocable bifurcation, a rupture, a breach. It reminds me somewhat of Borges and his ‘Garden of Forking Paths’. Lovecraftian superposition!

Optograms are utterly fascinating. The one that captivates and intrigues me the most are the images of Juan Diego and others that have been discovered and verified by many solid authorities in the eyes of the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Modern, ‘enlightened’, liberal progressive types may scoff and mock, but I consider them to contain real truth and beauty.

On a more mundane level, I think that forensic optography should immediately be re-introduced into the armoury of police forces world-wide. One might not be aware of this but optography was standard practice amongst many early police forces in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. With modern, high resolution digital equipment readily available, such a re-introduction would surely see a massive decrease in the homicide rate and potentially solve many outstanding cold cases.

Participant

DSC_5528

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Cloudscape #47
      july29157840

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

IMG_7138_Night FlightNight Flight

PS: Hans, I think your Witch On The Run With Unknown Partner In Crime has crossed the pond! But they have shape-shifted and are heading for the colour thread!

Participant

DSC_5264

Roiling.

Participant

I will follow the witch to the color thread Keelin. She must have taken the Night Flight.

Michael makes a turn and Alec shows some impressive celestial bubbling. Love it.

Found in my archive: the moon and Mars on the 22th of March 2015.

2015-03 Div_0010 B&W ac klein

Participant

Such a beautiful serenity in your image, Hans. It also reminds me artist Gordon Onslow Ford who worked primarily with the elements of line, circle dot.

Participant

Thank you Keelin. Only because the moon was a small crescent also Mars was well visible.

Participant

Overhead #73

july2017a4623

Participant

Lovely composition, Michael, and oh those colors you get from your B&W palette!

Participant

Thank you Keelin..aaammm not sure  what colors you see  but i think I get what you mean. The  dense black is made to work in that pic along with the grays and white. The depth perception is played with  by the struggling  shades.

This one is a lot  easier

july0817a3940

Participant

You do indeed get what I was meaning, Michael. It’s that richness of the blacks and whites and all those shades in between that you manage to work so well. It continues to impress and inspire me.

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0056 B&W klc S ac klein

Participant

Duplicatus #8

july2915a7842

Participant

IMG_5743_BW_The Early BirdThe Early Bird…

Participant

2017-11 Wolken_0021 B&W ac klein

Participant

Hans, I feel as if I could run my fingers over the textures in your image above. Fantastic!

Below is one without such feelability, but with shades of light and dark to run your eyes over.

IMG_5828_BW

Participant

Thanks Keelin. It could have been in the series of textures of the former volume of this thread.  I love your Early Bird for its curly gentle waves. The series of Overhead and Duplicatus by Michael is also wonderful.

Coincidentally I captured one that follows well the ‘shades of light and dark to run your eyes over’ you mentioned. The same aspect must have made us spot it.

2017-11 Wolken_0007 B&W asr klein

Participant

Hans, pareidolia glasses might be needed, but did you happen to see what was on the menu for The Early Bird? What could be a more fitting reward for rising at dawn than a worm-topped pancake with mud syrup?

And how funny and amazing is your response to the comment about feeling textures in cloud photos. I almost missed the curious character in your image reaching to touch a bit of cloud!

Participant

Monsoon Nimbus #47

july3117a5319

Participant

Great depth in this cauliflower Michael. A true wolf in sheep’s clothes.

2017-09 Charigny_0176 B&W ac klein

Fleeing Fleece

Participant

Thanks Hans,  The industry is always pushing for faster lens, wider f stop, but as a cloud photographer I  prefer depth of field ,not more light. A tripod takes care  of lack of light especially around sunrise/set.  I rarely  shoot  at less than f22 . F22 is where I like to Start at just for depth of field in the clouds. And yes, I’ve adjusted my normal ASA 100 to 250 over the years so shutter speed issues are kept to a minimum. Its realizing you may want good focus over miles instead of feet or yards that brings an appreciation for good ole pin hole diaphragm openings.

Another.. Monsoon #50

july3117a5317

Participant

It is a good advise to choose the right diaphragm, Michael. Sometimes I am trusting too much the automatic functions. Thinking about the right diaphragm beforehand prevents disappointment afterwards. I am keen on the diaphragm when doing macro, but not yet when I photograph clouds.

Detail: I suppose your camera goes far beyond the 250 ASA you mentioned. The camera can choose the ASA value automatically if you want to, but I am sure you know that too. The really high values makes photographing with little light possible. The price to pay is some granularity (noise).

Next is one that looks unsharp, but isn’t. I assume it is the subject itself. Taken at f/14, 1/100, ISO-100, 117 mm.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0032 B&W ac klein

X-ray, Nothing Broken

Participant

Those are some nubby nimbuses, Michael! And Hans, glad to see X-ray. Nothing Broken! Speaking of diaphragms, more anatomy below with Frozen Ribs (of our Arctic Explorer?).

Frozen RIbs

Participant

That must be an Arctic Explorer in very good condition, Keelin. Great anatomy of the sky.

2017-10 Charigny_0082 B&W klc con klein

Stroboscopic

Participant

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0067 B&W asr klein c

Participant

Overhead # 67

july2017a4556

Participant

Overhead: you are a master of grays, Michael.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0152 B&W asr corr klein

Camber

Participant

Nice organic feel to that pic Hans.

Mid Day Rise

july1915a7482

Participant

Thanks Michael, luscious whites in Mid Day Rise!

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0057 B&W asr klein

What Will It Bring

Participant

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0162 B&W ac corr klein

Gentle Slopes

Participant

Gathering Chaos

july1917a4543

Participant

2017-07-19 Cum_0093 B&W s3h0 contr55 klein c

Steaming

Participant

These Black and White images still take my breath away. Lovely work, Michael and Hans! IMG_7274_The ChaseThe Chase

Participant

Thanks Keelin,  Just now two cats raced across the roof of my house. Alls I did was hear them. How strange..

Arizona Strange#14

aug0115a7979

Participant

Yes a cat chase. Very strange indeed.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0006 B&W an klein

Cat Scratches

Participant

Flying Fur

Flying Fur

Participant

Flying Saucers
      july2817a5152

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Michael, pile d’assiettes, looks likeyou will be doing dishes.

A fast moving arctic fox came around. I only got its tail.

arctic_fox_tail

Participant

Flying Fur, Flying Saucers, Flying Fox Tail  (or was it fleeing?), all three of them are wonderful.

2017-09 Charigny_0043 B&W ns98-161-065 c klein

No Fly Zone

Participant

No Fly Zone? I guess that could mean You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere, but lyrics by Joan Baez say something a little different…

Clouds so swift, rain won’t lift
      Gate won’t close, the railings froze
      Get your mind off wintertime
      You ain’t goin’ nowhere
      Ooh wee, ride me high
      Tomorrow’s the day, my man’s gonna come
      Ohh, are we gonna fly
      Down in the easy chair

The Easy ChairThe Easy Chair

Participant

Barcolounger Blues

july2117a4689

Participant

Wow, it must be heavenly to rest in these two seats, Keelin and Michael.

How about a

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0096 B&W asr klein

Seat At The Balcony

Participant

Nice capture Hans! Neat!

Monsoon Heavy

july3117a5342

Participant

2018-01 Luchten_0072 B&W ac klein

Light As A Fishbone

Participant

Arizona Monsoon #44

july2217a4798

Participant

Michael, I thought the monsoon was in the summer. Or are these shots from some time back?

Participant

George, yes,you think correctly. I am currently posting pictures in all the Forum’s photographic threads ,,from 2015, 2016, 2017. Only the Jan 01 thread has a  pic taken in 2018.

So,,not repeating myself makes me take a few steps before posting a shot here. I have a folder on desk top  of all my shots posted. I check that before I post here.  That folder also becomes sort of a ” best of”. So it gets saved to DVD/Flash  whatever ,on a timely basis as well.

Un-posted shots from 2015 are getting scarce. But I have a flaw in my process. I may take say 50 pics in one session. I may process 5 or 10 of them before another session presents its self.  So even when I think I’ve posted all the decent shots  of a year or month,,I check the raw photo catalogue before I save them to DVD and remove from computer storage. Thats when I find some gems I have forgotten about.

Mindset effects my ability or want to process pics. I like being of a good state of mind when processing pics. I tend not to miss things and overall be more creative when I am in the right mood. Adobe Lightroom is a fantastic processing package but it takes abit of ability to get the best out of pics taken.  So I don’t usually process pics for  a week or so after I take them. If sooner, its usually for just one pic that has me thinking. The rest may not be looked at again until I ” feel ” like it. Now that i am retired,,that is slowly changing. I have the time to process much sooner but being in the creative state of mind still is necessary.

Therefore,,yea,,I have a large ,by some standards, backlog of processed pics nobody else has seen, and about 2 to 3 months of pics not fully processed. The sunset shots are more recent because I reached a point  some time ago, that  i felt the Arizona sunset/ sunrise shot had become cliche’..and were just too gawdy. So I stopped taking them. But I’m back to taking them . I’ve been surprised and enjoy the  ” new” exploration of the sunset/sunrise.  B&W is an endless pursuit but even those I have to manage how much time and energy I give them. I’m currently showing shots from July 2015/2016/ 2017 in B&W so hence all the monsoon. And of course, monsoon months a lot heavier with photos than non monsoon months.Color Is more challenging so I have less backlog but I’m getting better at photographing in color so Im getting a  balance between B&W and Color during a session. On a good cloudy day i get on average 150 to 200 pics taken,,sunrise to sunset. I’ve been known to take over 400 shots in a day when unencumbered and weather is offering everything in the book plus some.

Maybe its what gets me out of bed every morning, but knowing there are photographs, just waiting for me to post or process ,that I think are good, lets me experience patience and the karma of everything in its own time. Maybe within a year or two I’ll be caught up. Its not necessary tho. The idea that anybody can look up and see themselves or express themselves thru the clouds is at the foundation of what and why I do this.  For myself and anybody else..I hope there is always a backlog of  Cloud Photographs to be seen.

hhmm..obviously today was a blue sky day..

Participant

Michael, Arizona Monsoon #44 absolutely vibrates!

And Hans, love the view of your Balcony shot. What a capture (and release? as opposed to the one that didn’t get away, but delivered instead a delicate Fishbone).

So much richness to see in waking life — and then to inspire dreams. Which leads me to wonder: What does he see, this Sleeping Man?

IMG_7595_SleepingMan

Participant

..visions that evaporate into another dimension  then condense back into our  sleeping reality.

july3017a5226

Participant

I am happy to read about your backlog Michael. We can expect more monsoon beauties to come! And thank you Keelin. Your Sleeping Man has a lot to dream about. All be it in black and white in this thread.

2017-07-19 Cum_0095 B&W ac uitsnede klein c

Evaporation Or Condensation

Participant

Emerging or Dissolving?

IMG_5657_A Play Of GreyDreamscape In Transition

Participant

Very interesting to hear about your system, Michael. I still have a full time job, so not so many opportunities to take pictures and time process them, but I have a backlog. You gave me some good ideas on how to approach it. Thanks for sharing this.

Participant

George, yea I organize by date and if something is special then I mite add a key word to it like a genus and species etc.  The flaw is..i have to stay on top of processing all of it. Hopefully I can do better at that now that I have more free time.

Lots of ” or” above so here is my answer:  Yes

aug2817a6087

Participant

2018-01 Luchten_0079 B&W uitsne  s35ho ns79-229 klein

The Transition?

Participant

The Transition, could not be more clear, Hans — a remarkable example! But which one do you suppose is the dream? And for that matter, does it matter?

And then there is the reality of this…

IMG_6486_SpiltMilkSpilt Milk

Participant

Ha, lovely! Here is someone to lick it up.

2017-07-18 Lacunosus_0082 B&W ac klein

Yogi Bear

Participant

And what would go well with that lick of fresh milk (even if it is upside down)?

IMG_7743_BW_Oh My! Berry Pie!Oh My, Cloud Berry Pie!

Participant

Hilarious Keelin.

Participant

Funny thing is, I didn’t see Yogi until I downloaded the photo onto my computer. The “cloud berry pie” is what caught my eye (naturally!). So amusing how these characters continue to cross the pond.

Participant

A Pointy Pileus

aug1015a8146

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Michael, I would add my thanks to those of George for your thoughts of 24JAN2018 – very interesting; your dry last line observation reminds me of the east coast NCIS TV show where when an agent looks askance at being ordered to go to Arizona another agent observes ‘it’s a dry heat’.

Your Pointy Pileus shows you have some brilliant Cu shots, so I hope you will be contributing to my new Silver Lining thread….

‘H’

Participant

2014-12-08 Wolken_0040 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Head In The Clouds

Participant

Arizona Cloud #23

july2517a4960

Participant

Nice structure in this Arizona Cloud Michael.

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0068 B&W asr klein

Wavy

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape #64

july2317a4889

Participant

Love this cloudscape Michael. It seems to have relief and depth.

2018-01 Luchten_0080 B&W ns60-138 klein

Fluttered

Participant

Thanks Hans! That shot was fun to process.

Another one that plays with habitual depth perception.

Arizona Cloudscape #56

july2917a5184

Participant

Nice abstract swirls, Michael.

2018-01 Luchten_0029 B&W ac klein

Flatness

Participant

Wonderful textures, movement and moods above! In the image below, there is some positive/negative play to enjoy in the center.

IMG_7611_BW_PositiveNegative

Participant

Indeed a positive/negative play. Intriguing after all.

2017-11 Wolken_0018 B&W ac klein

Not centered

Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

IMG_7306editbwlowresThis is the black and white twin to the sun halo photo. I love all of these black and white images! The contrast of black and white really brings out the elements of the clouds.
      Blessings
      Ramona

Participant

So true, Ramona. It’s amazing what suddenly becomes detectable in certain black and white images. As in your twin photo above, and in the preceding one by Hans where the texture just pops! Below is an image that didn’t seem interesting at all in color, but surprised me in b&w.

IMG_7701_BW_To Swim In Sun-Dappled WatersSunlit Salmon

Participant

Ramona, Welcome!   Digital SLR Cameras can have programmable B&W. There can be choice of a Yellow, Orange or Red Filter Effect. As with film from yellow filter  to red filter  there is increase in contrast. I like to use Orange filter effect for  general B&W  Cloud Photography. Clouds tend to Pop out from the background. I’ll use red when contrast is low as in overcast stratus. Yellow filter effect is nice on sunsets imho.

Below is a shot that plays with the positive and negative space.

Crumb Cake

june0615a5782

Participant

Nice to have this Crumb Cake with my morning coffee Michael.

And the Sunlit Salmon is exactly the kind of picture that really surprises in B&W, Keelin.

Hope to see more of your black and whites Ramona.

2018-02 Luchten_0057 B&W an klein

Hiding Viking

Participant

Hans, I first read your words above on the email notification of your posting (which doesn’t include images), and having come to know your sense of humor, had to smile at the title. I couldn’t imagine what you’d found, then burst into laughter when I clicked the link and saw the photo. This is really one of your funniest ever. And I wonder… will he cross the pond?

Participant

Crown King

july2117a4672c

Participant

Certainly King Michael. I love these fine patterns.

2018-01 Luchten_0077 B&W asr ns28-221 klein

Abstract

Participant

After Crown King by Michael and an abstract now (for a book?) a concrete

2018-02 Luchten_0250 B&W ns72-190 klein

Lion King

Participant

Gorgeous textures in Crown King, Michael, and in Abstract, Hans! Now the Lion King looks like he’s about to sink his teeth into something.

IMG_7577_OverbiteOverbite

Participant

Overbite is exactly what the title says and very funny Keelin!

Participant

Arizona Under and Over
      july2117a4664

Participant

Nice texture and layers Michael.

2018-02 Luchten_0078 BW ns80-163

Silky

Participant

Back to textures! Over and Under has great depth too, Michael. And Silky has the feel.

IMG_7697_ShreddedShredded

Participant

Clawed Clouds

april0917a2400

Participant

Shredded and Clawed Clouds are both undulatus but also very different in texture. Love them.

2018-02 Luchten_0062 B&W ns82-177 klein

Overhang

Participant

Journeyaug2717a6029

Participant

A magical Journey Michael. Great abstract with strange forms. True art!

Here is one to celebrate the Chinese new year.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0123 B&W ns126-199 klein

Dragon Dance

Participant

Arizona B&W #132

april0916a4263

Participant

Great composition Michael to start the Chinese New Year with!

2018-02 Luchten_0187 B&W ns115-255 klein

Sweeping

Participant

Wow! Stunning images, Michael and Hans.

IMG_7876_BW_SweptSwept Away

Participant

Blown Away

april2716a4724

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0080 ns85-207 klein

Washed Away

Participant

Arizona B&W #93

aug1017a5568

Participant

I am still Swept and Blown Away by two former posts.

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0088 B&W asr c klein - kopie

Fluttering In The Wind

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0465 B&W ac c klein

Translucidus

Participant

Still cleaning house here.

IMG_7868_BW_Feather DusterFeather Duster

Participant

Arizona Mammatus  #17

aug2317a5905

Participant

2017-03-25 Wolken_0051 B&W ns92-166 klein

Stealth Flight

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.